Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"Eric" on Netflix

Benedict Cumberbatch has been getting great reviews, but it seems like the whole project was conceived of just an excuse for him to win an Emmy rather than to give viewers anything very interesting to see. Why would I want to watch an arrogant ugly puppeteer sink into misery because his son has gone missing and discuss his problems with a giant muppet week after week? it sounds like something that might work as a movie but not a mini-series.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43June 27, 2024 12:41 PM

I always confuse him with that famous lesbian, Eddie Redmayne.

by Anonymousreply 1June 1, 2024 5:32 PM

He has really lost any looks he ever had.

by Anonymousreply 2June 1, 2024 5:49 PM

R2, he had looks to loose? I'm shocked.

by Anonymousreply 3June 1, 2024 5:53 PM

They uglied him up with an unflattering haircut, unfashionable, dated-looking eyeglasses, and dreary clothes. Plus, the character he plays is an angry fucker (and that's before he finds out his son is missing). When Cumberbatch shaves and puts on a smart suit, he's a decent-looking guy (he was also somewhat attractive as Patrick Melrose).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4June 1, 2024 5:57 PM

Cumberbatch’s voice is what makes him sexy.

by Anonymousreply 5June 1, 2024 6:03 PM

Except he can't say "penguin"

by Anonymousreply 6June 1, 2024 6:07 PM

[quote]Cumberbatch’s voice is what makes him sexy.

For sure--so mellifluous. But only when he speaks in his natural English accent. I'm neither American nor British so am not really in a position to judge, but his American accent doesn't sound completely convincing to me. I could be wrong!

by Anonymousreply 7June 1, 2024 6:08 PM

His American accent is awful.

by Anonymousreply 8June 1, 2024 7:04 PM

I agree. I feel like out of all the British actors that are his contemporaries, Theo James does the best American accent.

by Anonymousreply 9June 1, 2024 7:29 PM

It's always weird to me how the most trained Brit actors, who usually spend so much time learning how to craft accents, can be so hit-and-miss with American accents.

I just expect all Americans to be terrible with British accents, and since American actors are rarely highly trained, I'm rarely surprised.

by Anonymousreply 10June 1, 2024 8:45 PM

Australians do better than the Brits when it comes to American accents.

by Anonymousreply 11June 2, 2024 1:59 AM

It's pretty good so far, but Cumberbatch and Gaby Hoffmann are totally unbelievable as a couple.

by Anonymousreply 12June 3, 2024 12:21 AM

Eric’s voice sounds just like Michael Cohen.

by Anonymousreply 13June 3, 2024 12:29 AM

It's true that Cumberbatch can't really do a convincing American accent - it's flat and "trying too hard." They should've just let him use his natural English accent. It wouldn't have affected the story in any way if his character was English instead of American.

by Anonymousreply 14June 3, 2024 12:50 AM

Is the show any good? It sounds like such a bummer.

by Anonymousreply 15June 3, 2024 1:33 AM

Good so far. Two episodes in. Definitely different. And yes, gay characters.

by Anonymousreply 16June 3, 2024 2:16 AM

It's set in downtown NY in 1985 and they really got the look down.

by Anonymousreply 17June 3, 2024 2:21 AM

I’m fine with Cumberbatch’s accent but the woman playing his mother is terrible. She’s way too young for the role and her attempts to come off as old money are affected beyond belief.

by Anonymousreply 18June 4, 2024 1:35 PM

Oh good, I was about to start watching this but got stuck on "I'm dying up here" again. That show is great.

by Anonymousreply 19June 4, 2024 2:56 PM

Revised comment. There is a LOT of gay content.

by Anonymousreply 20June 4, 2024 11:36 PM

It's good.

by Anonymousreply 21June 4, 2024 11:43 PM

[quote] Why would I want to watch an arrogant ugly puppeteer sink into misery because his son has gone missing and discuss his problems with a giant muppet week after week?

This sentence made me giggle.

by Anonymousreply 22June 4, 2024 11:48 PM

I just started it and am a little annoyed already at an anachroism, I guess I would call it. I notice it all the time in these new shows that are supposed to be set in the 70s-90s. The puppeteer boss is saying they're going to have a "meet cute". Was that stupid term around in 85? I feel like it wasn't. I always notice that kind of stuff and it takes me out. People on 80's shows saying shit like, "living authentically" which is something that people say all the time now, but they didn't say it then. It's just something that bugs me.

by Anonymousreply 23June 5, 2024 6:29 AM

I made it through and it’s kind of a train wreck but I stuck with it. It’s very stylized like The Joker meets the muppets.

SPOILER

Why did the kid come out of the subway in clean clothes with no dirt on him? That was weird given his journey.

by Anonymousreply 24June 5, 2024 6:39 AM

They kept saying "CCTV." No one in America says that esp. in 1985. It's "security cameras."

by Anonymousreply 25June 5, 2024 6:49 AM

Thank you R25! I knew there were other ones I didn't catch.

by Anonymousreply 26June 5, 2024 6:50 AM

R23

That shit drives me bananas. Hard pass.

by Anonymousreply 27June 5, 2024 8:20 AM

He's cute.

by Anonymousreply 28June 5, 2024 11:50 AM

r25 that drove me fucking nuts! Americans say "security cameras." "CCTV" is a British thing. I can't believe nobody on the production caught that.

by Anonymousreply 29June 5, 2024 7:41 PM

Re: "meet-cute":

[quote]The term “meet-cute” originated in the 1938 movie Bluebeard’s Eighth Wife. While shopping for pajamas, Claudette Colbert and Gary Cooper meet, and it turns into a delightfully cute conversation, hence the name.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30June 5, 2024 9:48 PM

It’s really not very good. It desperately wants to be, and the first episode made it seem like it could be, but it has a terrible payoff.

by Anonymousreply 31June 5, 2024 9:51 PM

I tried watching this last night and couldn't get through the first episode. I found the Cumberbatch character to be over-the-top obnoxious. I was, however, interested in the story of the missing kid, so I skipped ahead to the last episode to find out what happened.

Also, I did note in the men's room scene in the first episode that one character said to another "my bad," which I'm pretty sure we weren't saying back then.

by Anonymousreply 32June 9, 2024 12:11 AM

I love unusual looking men - Walton Goggins, Woody Harrelson, Tommy Lee Jones. Benedict belongs in that class. Not handsome, not ugly. Simply sexy.

by Anonymousreply 33June 9, 2024 3:00 AM

Massive bore, and I echo the criticism of Cumberbatch, who has never been able to do an American accent. His character is annoying and irritating and not someone you'd want to spend any time with.

The worst thing is how fucking slow it is. I finally decided I didn't want to watch any more of the first episode, assuming I was nearly all the way through it, maybe 35-40 min. I paused it, and to my shock saw I was only 11 and a half minutes in.

This is the sixth Netflix series I've watched (or sampled) over the past month and they have all been dire, awful shows. Netflix is quickly becoming the worst original programming of all the streamers.

by Anonymousreply 34June 9, 2024 8:41 PM

[quote]His character is annoying and irritating and not someone you'd want to spend any time with.

And the whole time he's wondering why everybody hates him. Dude, you're an asshole!

by Anonymousreply 35June 9, 2024 9:45 PM

I loved Benny as a super hero!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36June 10, 2024 7:12 PM

The Dr. Strange movies were a waste of Cumberbatch's talents and took up a lot of his time when he could've been doing other projects. Of course I totally understand that the $$$ was too good to turn down. His great-grandchildren will be set for life because of all the Marvel shit he did so I can't blame him.

by Anonymousreply 37June 10, 2024 8:08 PM

I will binge-watch this..

by Anonymousreply 38June 10, 2024 8:11 PM

Did anyone else find the actor's performance of his mother...FUCKING odd. I get the whole WASP but is the character supposed nuts? I couldn't finish the entire series. The Black cop and his daddy and the club., etc. Maybe I'll finsh it.

Also, I think "My Bad" was around BEFORE the 80s

by Anonymousreply 39June 12, 2024 11:17 AM

"What is the meaning of "my bad" in English? It means my mistake, I´m to blame. This slang term originated around 1970 pre the widespread use of the Internet."

by Anonymousreply 40June 12, 2024 3:24 PM

The giant puppet looks like a Wild Thing. Is that on purpose?

by Anonymousreply 41June 13, 2024 12:12 AM

^ I think it looks like a Muppet.

by Anonymousreply 42June 13, 2024 12:54 AM

The show worked too hard at bringing together the story of the missing kid and the story of the gay cop.

by Anonymousreply 43June 27, 2024 12:41 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!