Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How come Streisand only directed 3 films?

That seems to be her proudest achievements. Why didn't she do more?

by Anonymousreply 97June 11, 2024 10:27 PM

Studios saw those three and said “No fucking way.” Barbra may still be Heeba, Queen of the Long Island Passover Set, but Hollywood is trying to run a business.

by Anonymousreply 1May 29, 2024 4:32 AM

She was lazy and only really motivated by a handful of projects. She was never interested in directing for directing's sake.

by Anonymousreply 2May 29, 2024 4:35 AM

She’s a perfectionist and it takes her 15 years to see one from start to finish

by Anonymousreply 3May 29, 2024 4:35 AM

Same thing with Jodie Foster. She wanted to direct so much but did very little of it.

by Anonymousreply 4May 29, 2024 4:41 AM

She was only okay as a director.

by Anonymousreply 5May 29, 2024 4:48 AM

Because she's awful.

by Anonymousreply 6May 29, 2024 4:56 AM

She wanted to do more but it didn't work out.

The Normal Heart

Skinny and Cat

Catherine the Great

by Anonymousreply 7May 29, 2024 4:58 AM

[quote] Catherine the Great

One can only imagine the soaring Barbra ballad in the background as Catherine fucks her horse to death.

“Our Final Ride (Love theme from “Catherine the Great”)”

by Anonymousreply 8May 29, 2024 5:04 AM

She’s preparing Gypsy for a 2027 release.

by Anonymousreply 9May 29, 2024 5:06 AM

Three imperishable masterpieces from the greatest American auteur!

by Anonymousreply 10May 29, 2024 5:10 AM

She was offered the chance to direct many more films by the major studios, but she turned them down when they wouldn't let her also play the lead. For example, "Lara Croft: Tomb Raider."

by Anonymousreply 11May 29, 2024 5:19 AM

She needs to do everything and can't get past her need to be the star.

by Anonymousreply 12May 29, 2024 5:27 AM

R4, Jodie only directed a few features, but she’s done a good bit of television. It’s something she seems to enjoy pursuing even when it doesn’t seem calculated to advance her career or her fame.

Try to imagine Barbra directing a prestige streaming series, and it’s impossible. But Jodie did that for House of Cards, Black Mirror and Orange is the New Black. I think that shows that while Foster might not be a workaholic, she’s not a dilettante as a director, either.

by Anonymousreply 13May 29, 2024 5:33 AM

Building the mall took up a lot of her time.

by Anonymousreply 14May 29, 2024 5:36 AM

[quote] Try to imagine Barbra directing a prestige streaming series, and it’s impossible.

Diane Keaton also directed some TV episodes, like for "China Beach" and "Twin Peaks."

But you're right, it's impossible imagining Streisand doing it.

by Anonymousreply 15May 29, 2024 6:30 AM

Didn't she say in her book that she's kind of lazy?

by Anonymousreply 16May 29, 2024 7:08 AM

By most accounts, she's NUTS.

by Anonymousreply 17May 29, 2024 7:14 AM

Cloning a pack of Cotons de Tuléar took up a lot of time.

by Anonymousreply 18May 29, 2024 7:48 AM

She didn’t get instant Oscars in the first 3 attempts and lost interest..

by Anonymousreply 19May 29, 2024 8:22 AM

I prayed really, really hard.

by Anonymousreply 20May 29, 2024 9:03 AM

[quote]Diane Keaton also directed some TV episodes, like for "China Beach" and "Twin Peaks."

Keaton also directed the documentary Heaven and the video for Belinda Carlyle's Heaven Is a Place on Earth.

by Anonymousreply 21May 29, 2024 9:08 AM

Does anyone watch the three films she made?

by Anonymousreply 22May 29, 2024 9:19 AM

Roz does. At least pretends to. Babs has to keep nudging her to make sure she's awake.

by Anonymousreply 23May 29, 2024 3:29 PM

Because Babs is terrified a lead actor will try to micro-manager her the way she did to other directors.

by Anonymousreply 24May 29, 2024 5:23 PM

Women have shitty work ethics, no accountability and a lack of direction

by Anonymousreply 25May 29, 2024 5:31 PM

[quote] Does anyone watch the three films she made?

Repeatedly. Over and over. To the point of madness.

by Anonymousreply 26May 29, 2024 7:11 PM

She said she'd encountered an 'old boy's network' while filming, "The Prince Of Tides". So much different than the kum-ba-yah environment of Yentl. The toxic misogyny soured her on directing for years.

by Anonymousreply 27May 29, 2024 7:57 PM

She wanted to work from home but found it was impossible.

by Anonymousreply 28May 29, 2024 7:58 PM

because she was a raging cunt

by Anonymousreply 29May 29, 2024 7:59 PM

Laziness.

by Anonymousreply 30May 29, 2024 8:13 PM

The real reason is she could never get financing for the projects she wanted to direct without putting up her own money.

by Anonymousreply 31May 29, 2024 8:19 PM

Because she's delusional.

by Anonymousreply 32May 29, 2024 8:58 PM

She says she regrets not doing more comedies when she was at her peak. I wonder what comedies she turned down.

by Anonymousreply 33May 30, 2024 2:41 AM

Prince of Tides was a convoluted mess that was somehow nominated for 7 Oscars.

As star, director and co-producer, Streisand shifts the book's focus from the Wingo past to the Tom-Susan love affair. This could have worked had Streisand directed herself better--if, indeed, she had directed herself at all. Instead of a performance, we get smirks, poses, campy shots that linger on her outrageously long manicured fingernails, and radiant, cloying smiles. Streisand's inadequacies, though, are more than compensated for by Nolte's compelling Tom. He brings conviction and depth to the role, treading a fine line between self-pity and self-respect and exposing his frailties with a rare sensitivity.

by Anonymousreply 34May 30, 2024 2:52 AM

[quote]I wonder what comedies she turned down.

ZERO. Barbra Streisand is a serious actress, remember?

by Anonymousreply 35May 30, 2024 1:32 PM

R34, she had to use the part of the story where her role is prominent because getting the film financed depended on her screen time. A Barbra Streisand love story sells, or so they thought.

Upon seeing The Prince of Tides again recently, I find her work - acting and directing - dull and perfunctory. Nick Nolte's performance, on the other hand, is hopelessly hammy. Streisand the director should have told him to being it down a few notches.

by Anonymousreply 36May 30, 2024 5:46 PM

[quote] I wonder what comedies she turned down.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37May 30, 2024 5:49 PM

[quote]Studios saw those three and said “No fucking way.” Barbra may still be Heeba, Queen of the Long Island Passover Set, but Hollywood is trying to run a business.

YENTL (1983) -- grossed $68 million on a $12 million budget (adjusted for inflation that's $211 million and $37 million, respectively)

plus 4 Oscar nominations: Supporting Actress, Production Design, Score, Song

PRINCE OF TIDES (1991) -- grossed $135 million on a $30 million budget (adjusted for inflation that's $306 million and $68 million, respectively)

plus 7 Oscar nominations: Picture, Actor, Supporting Actress, Adapted Screenplay, Production Design, Cinematography, Score

by Anonymousreply 38May 30, 2024 6:13 PM

She realized she would never again get a script as brilliant and complex as THE MIRROR HAS TWO FACES.

by Anonymousreply 39May 30, 2024 6:24 PM

R39 Known by its original title, "A carrot stick and a haircut lands you Jeff Bridges!"

by Anonymousreply 40May 30, 2024 6:43 PM

#38, you forgot me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41May 30, 2024 7:38 PM

[quote]Barbra Streisand is a serious actress, remember?

She could be a funny girl when she wanted, r35.

by Anonymousreply 42May 30, 2024 7:42 PM

^ Not since 1972

by Anonymousreply 43May 30, 2024 7:46 PM

Which is why, r43, she wishes she had done more comedies.

by Anonymousreply 44May 30, 2024 7:49 PM

Direct more films? That hack?

I got more talent in one of my farts than that broad has in her entire body.

by Anonymousreply 45May 30, 2024 8:25 PM

R44, Streisand is not funny. That’s why she wasn’t drawn to comedies once she had clout. Jesus, she didn’t even want to do What’s up Doc, and dislikes the film.

by Anonymousreply 46May 30, 2024 8:49 PM

Because women should not be directors.

- Dick Dreyfuss

by Anonymousreply 47May 30, 2024 8:54 PM

She's very funny in Owl and the Pussycat, r46.

by Anonymousreply 48May 30, 2024 9:15 PM

She could have been a great director, had she gotten out of her own way. She gets great performances out of actors, but her vanity ruins her projects. She has always been her own worst enemy.

by Anonymousreply 49May 30, 2024 9:35 PM

Richard Dreyfuss may be available

by Anonymousreply 50May 30, 2024 9:42 PM

Need a source or link for the she “wishes” she had done more comedies. I only once heard her say something like “i should have done more comedies I suppose” to a question about why she hadn’t done more movies. That was a TV interview at least 30 years ago, haven’t heard it elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 51May 30, 2024 9:59 PM

R48, dear, The Owl and the Pussycat came out in 1970. She hasn't BEEN FUNNY SINCE 1972.

by Anonymousreply 52May 30, 2024 11:10 PM

R52, dear, she was also amusing in Meet The Fockers. Now stop screeching.

by Anonymousreply 53May 30, 2024 11:40 PM

Too aggresive but she's more laid back now.

by Anonymousreply 54May 30, 2024 11:54 PM

She can be very funny. When she started out, she was considered a bit of a comic actress.

by Anonymousreply 55May 30, 2024 11:58 PM

R53, Meet the Fockers - best comedy of the 21st century!

by Anonymousreply 56May 31, 2024 12:07 AM

R56, second only to The Guilt Trip

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57May 31, 2024 12:09 AM

[quote]Try to imagine Barbra directing a prestige streaming series, and it’s impossible.

Yeah, well she did produce "Serving in Silence: The Margarethe Cammermeyer Story" and was Emmy nominated for Outstanding Made for Television Movie, and earning Emmys for Glenn Close Best Actress and Judy Davis Best Supporting.

by Anonymousreply 58May 31, 2024 12:26 AM

R56, no one was talking about the movie, they were talking about her performance. Do try to keep up.

by Anonymousreply 59May 31, 2024 12:49 AM

[quote]Didn't she say in her book that she's kind of lazy?

No not kinda, she says she's really lazy, but once she is actually working on a project, she's all in.

by Anonymousreply 60May 31, 2024 12:52 AM

R57 = Seth Rogen

by Anonymousreply 61May 31, 2024 1:12 AM

She tried to get a number of films made as director and the deals fell through for different reasons. It’s all in one of the latter chapters of her memoir. Actually her recollections and story are interesting in terms of how difficult it is to put together a company to make a film.

by Anonymousreply 62May 31, 2024 1:19 AM

I've always said it's because she feels disrespected by the Academy. Not once has she been recognized as a director in those three films - not even POT, which was nominated as best picture, but was one of those rare times when the director was not recognized. (In her book she calls it sexism).

I always believed she turned her back on Hollywood after they ignored her efforts for YENTL, which she worked on for 15 years to bring to the screen. In the past 40 years she only made 5 more movies ? Yet she continues to record new music nearly every year - because the Grammy voters continue to recognize her efforts with nominations every year.

As she said in an interview a few years ago " You go where you are nurtured." (Hollywood hasn't nurtured her - at all.)

by Anonymousreply 63May 31, 2024 2:23 AM

Oh please. Hollywood nurtured her fine. The problem has always been with her. Prince of Tides would have gotten her the acclaim had she stayed closer to the novel and not rearranged it to make it a star vehicle for her.. Mirror was nothing but a mindless exercise in vanity. Had she cast someone like Goldie Hawk it would have gotten better reviews. The critics lambasted her with those films because she gave them the ammo to.

Streisand is great for crying sexism when it pertains to her but conviently glosses over the fact that she’s been an utter shitbag to many of her female peers.

by Anonymousreply 64May 31, 2024 2:35 AM

I worked at Warner Bros/Columbia stidios when Funny Lady was filmed.

Babs was known to be a royal pain on set and micro-managing everything. Generally a pain to work with for everybody.

by Anonymousreply 65May 31, 2024 3:01 AM

Columbia stidios or Columbia Studios

by Anonymousreply 66May 31, 2024 3:04 AM

I read at one time she thought about directing Shadowlands and asked Sean Connery to star with her. But he said he had been in more films than her so why should he let her direct him.

Then when Richard Attenborough was directing she wanted the female lead but he went with Debra Winger instead.

by Anonymousreply 67May 31, 2024 3:11 AM

[quote] Then when Richard Attenborough was directing she wanted the female lead but he went with Debra Winger instead

Oooh, she must’ve been seething!

Tell me more.

by Anonymousreply 68May 31, 2024 3:39 AM

I've heard her say that she was interested in both Frankie and Johnny and The War of the Roses but couldn't get a meeting with Gary Marshall and Danny De Vito.

She'd have been a good choice for Frankie and Johnny. Michelle Pfeiffer got so much flack for being to beautiful for a role that was written for Kathy Bates.

by Anonymousreply 69May 31, 2024 3:40 AM

[quote] Michelle Pfeiffer got so much flack for being to beautiful for a role that was written for Kathy Bates.

Barbra would have faced the same, jealous criticism.

by Anonymousreply 70May 31, 2024 3:46 AM

[quote]Prince of Tides would have gotten her the acclaim had she stayed closer to the novel and not rearranged it to make it a star vehicle for her.

It was Oscar-nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay.

by Anonymousreply 71May 31, 2024 4:50 AM

Michelle Pfeiffer got so much flack for being to beautiful for a role that was written for Kathy Bates.

She had a rotten personality.

by Anonymousreply 72May 31, 2024 4:53 AM

Love Barbra.

She's busy with Gypsy.

by Anonymousreply 73May 31, 2024 6:04 AM

Look what's suddenly free to watch on YouTube!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74June 1, 2024 4:16 AM

Also...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75June 1, 2024 4:24 AM

But, sadly, no "Prince of Tides."

by Anonymousreply 76June 1, 2024 4:25 AM

Hate watch party at my place tomorrow night. I stopped at Gelson's to steal some snacks!

by Anonymousreply 77June 1, 2024 5:03 AM

I watched Prince of Tides for the first time last year. I never would have guessed that the origin of Nick Nolte's trauma was being raped by an escaped convict who burst into the home during dinner. The only way they could have made it more over the top is if he was raped by a clown. I couldn't take the movie seriously after that scene.

by Anonymousreply 78June 1, 2024 7:10 AM

Pat Conroy worked on the script with Baba and loved what she did with Prince of Tides.

Part of the problem is Barbara is very much of her time and is deep into wanting mid-century cultures of psychotherapy a d the like. Not much different than the Fondas working out their family issues in front of the world in On Golden Pond. It's not aging well and comes across as self-absorbed in isolation, but makes sense in the larger context of Boomers figuring out their shit in their 40's.

by Anonymousreply 79June 1, 2024 7:19 AM

Completely off topic but is On Golden Pond worth watching?

by Anonymousreply 80June 1, 2024 8:06 AM

Discussion on that film here

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81June 1, 2024 8:08 AM

R80 I really enjoyed it. The acting is great and genuine. And you really feel like you spent the entire summer with them on the lake house,

Henry Fonda and Katharine Hepburn both won Lead Oscars and Jane Fonda was nominated for Supporting Actress.

Doug McKeon, who played the grandson, also deserved a Supporting nod, IMO.

It's free to watch on YouTube:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82June 1, 2024 8:24 AM

Jane is at her most "earnest and sincere" in On Golden Pond which is hard to take but everyone else is great.

by Anonymousreply 83June 1, 2024 10:16 AM

R80, I liked not loved it in 1981. Could get through ten minutes of it in 2015.

by Anonymousreply 84June 1, 2024 11:30 AM

I think the thing about Barbra is she puts her elbows out in male spaces, but also areas of hard-earned expertise like directing and clothing/costume design. She has one of the world's most beautiful voices with a microscopic amount of training, so I can totally see why she thinks her successful approach to singing could work elsewhere. So here she is, sticking her nose in, and it pisses people off. I don't think there's anyone to blame here.

by Anonymousreply 85June 1, 2024 11:42 AM

Oh please, she's just a fucking cunt

by Anonymousreply 86June 4, 2024 11:55 PM

Barbra seems to make such a big production out of everything, she just couldn't do more films.

by Anonymousreply 87June 5, 2024 12:12 AM

She sucked

by Anonymousreply 88June 5, 2024 12:27 AM

[Quote] Not once has she been recognized as a director in those three films - not even POT, which was nominated as best picture, but was one of those rare times when the director was not recognized. (In her book she calls it sexism).

R63 Barbra is hardly a lone example. Many films nominated for Best Picture including some that won Best Picture did not receive a nod for the director: Funny Girl, Hello Dolly, An unmarried Woman, Midnight Express, Jaws, Taxi Driver, Bound for Glory, The Sand Pebbles, Dr. Doolittle (1967), A Thousand Clowns, Airport, The Towering Inferno, Argo, Green Book, Driving Miss Daisy, Jerry Maguire, Anne of the Thousand Days, Apollo 13, A Touch of Class, Fanny, The Music Man, Mutiny on the Bounty (1962) Auntie Mame, Chocolat, Finding Neverland, Separate Tables, Sense and Sensibility, Anatomy of a Murder, The Alamo, Elmer Gantry, Ship of Fools, Sounder, Five Easy Pieces, The Lord of the Rings: Two Towers, Four Weddings and a Funeral, The Shawshank Redemption, As Good As It Gets, Rachel, Rachel, Field of Dreams, Atonement, The Color Purple, The Fugitive, Alfie, Nicholas and Alexandria, Cleopatra (1963) Lilies of the Field, How the West Was Won, The Russians are Coming . . .

by Anonymousreply 89June 5, 2024 2:37 AM

R78, I guess Deliverance didn't do it for you either. I thought that rape scene was a bit of a stretch.

The rapist in PoT could have been an escaped psychopathic pedophile.

by Anonymousreply 90June 7, 2024 9:25 PM

YENTL IS ON TCM RIGHT THIS MINUTE!

by Anonymousreply 91June 7, 2024 9:48 PM

Too much effort for that cunt-hope she and Martha are dead cunts soon-thanks

by Anonymousreply 92June 8, 2024 1:31 AM

^ DJT

by Anonymousreply 93June 8, 2024 11:56 AM

[Quote] I guess Deliverance didn't do it for you either. I thought that rape scene was a bit of a stretch.

It certainly was!

by Anonymousreply 94June 11, 2024 5:00 AM

I don’t think anyone considers her a great director. She’s too self-involved.

by Anonymousreply 95June 11, 2024 5:17 AM

She may be on the scale of very good directors in process. The problem is that the end product is mediocre.

by Anonymousreply 96June 11, 2024 11:13 AM

Hope she is a memory soon, just a memory.

by Anonymousreply 97June 11, 2024 10:27 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!