Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Carroll Baker doesn't bring charisma to mysterious "Sylvia" 1965

My fun take on birthday girl Carroll Baker as "Sylvia." This 1965 melodrama plays like a cross between "Laura" & "Butterfield 8." Detective George Maharis is hired to find out if wealthy Peter Lawford's fiancee, Carroll of the title role, has any skeletons in her closet. Well, natch! Maharis' Mac talks to characters in her past, & he instantly falls in love with her. They all rave about her, but one problem: Sylvia was a hooker. Anyhoo, a veteran cast of all-stars make up for the lackluster leads, who are at least very attractive! Hokey but very entertaining. My look at "Sylvia."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 29, 2024 2:27 AM

George Maharis knew all about the closet.

by Anonymousreply 1May 28, 2024 8:21 PM

Catchy theme song

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2May 28, 2024 8:46 PM

She’s not so tough without her car!

by Anonymousreply 3May 28, 2024 8:49 PM

Well, when you're from Pittsburgh you have to do something!

by Anonymousreply 4May 28, 2024 9:10 PM

I guess Carroll got all Marilyn's post-mortem parts..

by Anonymousreply 5May 28, 2024 9:26 PM

I found it strange that producer Joseph Levine tried to give Carroll the Marilyn build-up, even though she became a star a decade before, and was now pushing 35.

by Anonymousreply 6May 28, 2024 10:42 PM

She did an obscure Spanish movie with Dennis Hopper called "Bloodbath" or "The sky is falling" playing an Alexandra Del Lago type character living with other faded expats in a Spanish village. One of them is the queeniest queen who ever queened. A cult of hippies shows up and seduces the expats and kills them off one by one. The gay guy gets with the black guy in overalls and ends up getting fucked to death. I find it interesting that these Italian and Spanish movies often featured gay characters, surprisingly depicted in a sympathetic light. All I could find online was this clip in Spanish. It recently got a bluray release.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 29, 2024 2:27 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!