Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Americans experiencing power outages do to shitty weather and infrastructure

Have your lights been off?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42May 31, 2024 8:14 PM

Yes, and our evil governor seems determined to make the infrastructure even worse. I didn't need another reason to loathe him.

by Anonymousreply 1May 28, 2024 11:41 AM

[quote] Americans experiencing power outages do to shitty weather

Oh, dear.

I do want to give you your due, but you do not seem to understand the difference between do and due.

by Anonymousreply 2May 28, 2024 11:50 AM

I do, but my cunt of a phone does not.

by Anonymousreply 3May 28, 2024 11:58 AM

[quote] OP: … power outages do to…

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 4May 28, 2024 12:04 PM

R4 Yes, dear, that’s been covered.

by Anonymousreply 5May 28, 2024 12:06 PM

I live in the middle of philly, over twenty years, I've almost never experienced anything like a power outage ever. but last week there were three short ones in a row, the whole neighborhood, it was very annoying

by Anonymousreply 6May 28, 2024 12:10 PM

[quote] I do want to give you your due, but you do not seem to understand the difference between do and due.

What if OP knows when he’s due to doo-doo? Do you then give him his due since he knows how poo?

by Anonymousreply 7May 28, 2024 12:58 PM

Grammer cunts should die, but first their children need to be boiled alive in front of them.

by Anonymousreply 8May 28, 2024 1:14 PM

How rude!

by Anonymousreply 9May 28, 2024 3:35 PM

No - I'm not in Georgia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10May 28, 2024 3:36 PM

Many on DL are living without electricity this week.

But that's because they can't pay their bill. They blew it all on Taylor Swift LPs and Coumadin refills.

by Anonymousreply 11May 28, 2024 3:39 PM

[quote] Many on DL are living without electricity this week.

Do they know it's Christmas time at all?

by Anonymousreply 12May 28, 2024 5:05 PM

Why can't they just bury all the power lines?

by Anonymousreply 13May 28, 2024 6:46 PM

Dallasite here, currently vacationing in Palm Springs (and “stuck” here). As we don't have a state income tax, and have Republicans howling at any slight tax increase, infrastructure at home is a joke.

by Anonymousreply 14May 28, 2024 7:14 PM

[quote]...there were three short ones in a row, the whole neighborhood, it was very annoying...

You think *this* is annoying???! You ain't seen nothing yet! Stay tuned.

by Anonymousreply 15May 28, 2024 7:42 PM

Yes. woke up to a large thunderstorm and no power for 6 hours in Plano Texas this morning.

by Anonymousreply 16May 28, 2024 7:46 PM

^^^R14…Sis, I hear you.

by Anonymousreply 17May 28, 2024 7:47 PM

I'm the one in Houston who didn't have power for five days. It was 87F in my house.

by Anonymousreply 18May 28, 2024 7:58 PM

Julia Sugarbaker for the win.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19May 28, 2024 8:09 PM

My neighborhood negotiated with electric company and had them lay lines underground because they were going to put up huge lines. It cost each of us a tax increase of about $200 a year for ten years.

I can’t see assholes in TX agreeing to pay an extra $200 even for one year.

by Anonymousreply 20May 29, 2024 1:02 AM

Where is this R20?

by Anonymousreply 21May 29, 2024 1:10 AM

R18 Austin here - during Snowpocalypse 2021, our house got down to 44. No hot water for 25 days because all tankless heaters were on back order.

Don’t know if I’d prefer 87 or 44, TBH.

by Anonymousreply 22May 29, 2024 1:18 AM

I hate to ask this R22, but how did you bathe/shower?

Or did you?

25 days is a LONG time.

by Anonymousreply 23May 29, 2024 1:23 AM

No, New England weather has been mostly good.

by Anonymousreply 24May 29, 2024 1:29 AM

[quote] Where is this [R20]?

NY

by Anonymousreply 25May 29, 2024 1:31 AM

I don't know how r22 managed, but many people in Houston showered at the gym. I got by with sponge baths and the occasional quick cold shower until the hot water was turned back on (I was in an apartment complex with dozens of burst pipes).

by Anonymousreply 26May 29, 2024 2:10 PM

We haven't been out lately but are just getting back into our house from last year's storms, just three days ago, it was a trip thru hell, we also have a small generator when it does go out, but going for gas every day is a pain, we're getting a NG connection so no more runs for gas.

by Anonymousreply 27May 29, 2024 4:43 PM

How do you get water for a sponge bath if there’s no electricity? Your water pump will be kayo’d. My mom used to fill our bathtub before a hurricane.

by Anonymousreply 28May 29, 2024 6:15 PM

The power came back on long before the hot water came back. My power was out 20 hours, IIRC. And during that time, it was way too cold even to think about bathing.

by Anonymousreply 29May 29, 2024 8:55 PM

[quote] How do you get water for a sponge bath if there’s no electricity?

The water heater is gas, thank god. So is the stove. I have no idea about the water pump, but we had water during the recent power outage. During Snowpocalypse 2021, I was in an apartment with an electric water heater. It didn't matter though, because the pipes froze and I had no water to bathe with, hot or cold.

Overall, if I had to choose, I'd rather be without power than without water. But if I had to choose between being too hot or being too cold, I'd go with cold every time.

by Anonymousreply 30May 29, 2024 8:59 PM

[quote]My mom used to fill our bathtub before a hurricane.

My bf fills several pitchers of water before any big storm, just to be safe. He was a boy scout and is 'always prepared'.

by Anonymousreply 31May 29, 2024 9:51 PM

Well, that's more for flushing the toilet. After snowpocalypse, I was going out to the pool with a pail for water to put in the tank so I could flush.

by Anonymousreply 32May 29, 2024 11:12 PM

And to think that Abbott is the under-the-radar, down low, not talked about choice for Trump's VP.

by Anonymousreply 33May 29, 2024 11:16 PM

When I was stationed in West Germany back in the late 70s, I was astounded that the Germans had all the power lines underground. No unsightly poles, no power outages because of bad weather (which was all winter long), etc.

That was just one of the many things that made me realize that no, America is [italic]not[/italic] the best country in the world.

One day, I'm going to get a bumper sticker made that says, "The Army made me a liberal."

by Anonymousreply 34May 29, 2024 11:28 PM

[quote]And to think that Abbott is the under-the-radar, down low, not talked about choice for Trump's VP.

Chester? donald teaming with a 'flicted sidekick? Oh, my sides!

by Anonymousreply 35May 30, 2024 12:10 AM

R5 is such a scolding cunt.

[quote]Americans experiencing power outages doo-doo number-two shitty weather and infrastructure

by Anonymousreply 36May 30, 2024 12:31 AM

Germans had all the power lines underground.

Yes, after the war there wasn't much left anyway, everything was rebuilt, there is not enough money here in America to retrofit all that. New is underground of course.

by Anonymousreply 37May 30, 2024 6:58 PM

My neighborhood is over 30 years old and is all underground. It doesn't prevent all outages (transformers still blow, substations have failures, and of course, in Texas, we have generation issues in extreme weather). But it does cut down on outages from downed trees. I only lost power for 6 hours after the latest high-wind disaster that hit the area.

by Anonymousreply 38May 30, 2024 9:06 PM

Tellus again, why moving to Texas is such a great idea.

by Anonymousreply 39May 30, 2024 9:09 PM

I hate it for you normal Texans, but every time I see power problems in TX and destruction I jump for joy! You get what you deserve.

by Anonymousreply 40May 31, 2024 5:46 PM

Fuck you too, R40.

by Anonymousreply 41May 31, 2024 6:41 PM

Do? Really?

by Anonymousreply 42May 31, 2024 8:14 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!