Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dame Judi Dench's film career is DEAD TO ME.

The Oscar winner last appeared in the 2022 movie Spirited, but this week when she attended the Chelsea Flower Show in London, she revealed she had no other movie projects in the pipeline, telling a journalist: “No, no. I can’t even see!”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 1, 2024 6:06 AM

I tired of her when she started mouthing off about The Crown and demanding it carry disclaimers about being fictionalized even though she made her name playing highly fictionalized versions of royalty. It seems she was worried it was going to make her dear Charles and Camilla look bad.

by Anonymousreply 1May 28, 2024 7:59 AM

She's had a good run. Not everyone can still be performing into their 90's like Betty White.

by Anonymousreply 2May 28, 2024 8:04 AM

R1 I felt bad that Camilla clearly took advantage of her age when Judi released that embarrassing letter:

by Anonymousreply 3May 28, 2024 8:12 AM

Terrible. Maybe Meryl can get her a gig on that Steve Martin show she's been reduced to appearing on.

by Anonymousreply 4May 28, 2024 4:37 PM

Love Judi, always will, just because my grandmother loved “As Time Go By.” I also liked her in “Her Majesty, Mrs. Brown” and “The Importance of Being Earnest.” She, like Maggie, can play dramatic or comedic roles as well as the other.

I hate that she’s lost her sight, though I don’t think she’s totally blind or she wouldn’t be going to a flower show. She has always had a young spirit and would have only gotten better in her last years in whatever role she could find.

I hope she’s not so disabled that she’s had to stop causing havoc. She was so devilishly criminal once she became a Dame and was able to shed her nice girl persona.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 28, 2024 6:52 PM

Yeah she's had macular degeneration that's got progressively worse over the years. I remember her saying she couldn't read her scripts to learn her lines.

by Anonymousreply 6May 28, 2024 6:54 PM

I love this clip of Ian McKellen doing Maggie Smith at 0:50 talking about Judi. It, like most comedy, rings very true if the words have never been uttered by Maggie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 28, 2024 7:05 PM

[quote]She, like Maggie, can play dramatic or comedic roles as well as the other.

And neither can do an American accent.

by Anonymousreply 8May 31, 2024 11:20 AM

I love it!!

by Anonymousreply 9May 31, 2024 11:34 AM

Little clever chubby Judi Dench

by Anonymousreply 10May 31, 2024 12:08 PM

Has anyone here read her new book about Shakespeare & the theatre? It's in hardcover right now so I'm waiting until the price comes down before getting a copy.

by Anonymousreply 11June 1, 2024 6:06 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!