Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

TV characters who are supposed to be hot but really are not

I'm watching the final season of Evil and everyone acts as if Katja Herbers is smokin' hot. She's just average looking. I see prettier women every day.

by Anonymousreply 233June 4, 2024 3:19 AM

McDreamy owns this thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1May 28, 2024 7:16 AM

I enjoyed [italic]the Duchess of Duke Street[/italic], but I never got Gemma Jones as a hottie. Maybe it's an English thing, but she seems goggle eyed to me.

by Anonymousreply 2May 28, 2024 8:04 AM

And here's a photo of Gemma Jones in the series:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3May 28, 2024 8:06 AM

Stuart in the Uk Queer as Folk. Meant to be a super-stud but just looked greasy to me. Charlie Hunnam, on the other hand….

by Anonymousreply 4May 28, 2024 8:33 AM

I think Patrick Dempsey falls into the Liam Neeson category of men straight women find hot but leave gay men unmussed.

by Anonymousreply 5May 28, 2024 8:35 AM

Speaking of “Queer as Folk,” Gale Harold as Brian in the US version. He’d walk into a room and every man’s mouth would drop open.

Not really.

by Anonymousreply 6May 28, 2024 9:04 AM

Lily Walsh, As the World Turns.

by Anonymousreply 7May 28, 2024 9:14 AM

Donna Martin, 90210

by Anonymousreply 8May 28, 2024 10:29 AM

Agree R6. Canadian actor Damon Runyan, who also auditioned for the role, is way hotter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9May 28, 2024 10:40 AM

I think Brian was just supposed to be an extremely conventional hot guy. Everyone in the group represented a type. Michael was the non-threatening boy next door, Emmet was flamboyant, Ted was the straight-passing corporate gay and Brian was generically hot. I don't think Brian was supposed to be movie star gorgeous, just one of MANY hot guys in the club that night. I haven't watched the show since 2007 so I could be wrong.

by Anonymousreply 10May 28, 2024 11:09 AM

Zendaya. I do not see the fascination with this creature.

by Anonymousreply 11May 28, 2024 11:31 AM

I saw Patrick Dempsey recently in the horror flick called Thanksgiving which by the way is mildly tongue-in-cheek amusing. I forgot how small he is. Much of his appeal, and half of his weight, was always his hair.

by Anonymousreply 12May 28, 2024 11:43 AM

Sarah Rush on Too Close for Comfort. It's streaming on Tubi and she's supposed to super hot but really, she just has big tits and nice hair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 28, 2024 11:45 AM

Ginger Grant owns this thread. She always looked like a drag queen to me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14May 28, 2024 11:48 AM

Scott Baio as “Chachi”.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15May 28, 2024 11:50 AM

Samantha, hold my beer…

by Anonymousreply 16May 28, 2024 11:52 AM

Fonzie

by Anonymousreply 17May 28, 2024 12:05 PM

Carrie, damnit! Slap, slap!

by Anonymousreply 18May 28, 2024 12:07 PM

Peggy on Mad Men. Constantly referred to as “beautiful” when she was one of the only women on the show who was not,

by Anonymousreply 19May 28, 2024 12:20 PM

R19 It's infinitely worse on Handmaid's Tale. EVERYONE is clammering to fuck ugly Elisabeth Moss. Totally bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 20May 28, 2024 12:31 PM

I don't remember Peggy being referred to as beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 21May 28, 2024 12:37 PM

On the British show Cucumber 🥒- That dumpy guy who looked ten years older than he was Henry Best who’s constantly drooling over the Freddie Fox character- who’s a total Ectomorph and now hot but on the show everyone is drooling 🤤 over him.

by Anonymousreply 22May 28, 2024 12:49 PM

R21 watch it agin. The only character who insults her is Pete who later shows up at her house to fuck her

by Anonymousreply 23May 28, 2024 1:08 PM

R6, Gale Harold was a classic example of a common thing: a guy who doesn't appeal to men but does to women. Every woman in the audience would have her mouth hanging open when he walked on, which was why the show had such a huge female fanbase. In the show, he's meant to be irresistible to both sexes.

By contrast, the fangirls were almost completely uninterested in Robert Gant, who was the DL fave.

by Anonymousreply 24May 28, 2024 2:03 PM

Frasier. It is a key premise of the [original] show that attractive, sophisticated women will regularly fall for him.

As if.

by Anonymousreply 25May 28, 2024 2:04 PM

The Fonz

by Anonymousreply 26May 28, 2024 2:14 PM

[quote]Gale Harold was a classic example of a common thing: a guy who doesn't appeal to men but does to women.

I found him appealing AF. Definitely the hottest guy in QAF Pittsburgh. Surprised he disappeared.

by Anonymousreply 27May 28, 2024 2:16 PM

Sam Malone. Women were really dropping their panties for him? I guess he falls under r5’s theory

by Anonymousreply 28May 28, 2024 2:19 PM

Sam Malone (Ted Danson) on CHEERS -- we were constantly being told how gorgeous he is!

Blossom (Mayim Bialik) on BLOSSOM -- she was constantly being told how beautiful she is!

by Anonymousreply 29May 28, 2024 2:22 PM

Nah. Ted Danson wasn't a sex symbol even at the time. Bruce Willis in Moonlighting was what women wanted.

by Anonymousreply 30May 28, 2024 2:25 PM

When Ted Danson showed up at the Emmys one year without his bald spot rug, he lost any appeal he had.

by Anonymousreply 31May 28, 2024 2:27 PM

Carrie Bradshaw owns this thread

by Anonymousreply 32May 28, 2024 2:27 PM

Chris Noth as “Big”.

by Anonymousreply 33May 28, 2024 2:30 PM

[quote]Chris Noth as “Big”.

Chris Noth when he was younger, circa Law and Order, was a very handsome guy. Add to that being a very rich investment banker and you're extremely hot.

By SATC timeline, he's a good looking guy who still has the BD swagger of a hot guy whose now a master of the universe.

by Anonymousreply 34May 28, 2024 2:42 PM

[quote]Nah. Ted Danson wasn't a sex symbol even at the time. Bruce Willis in Moonlighting was what women wanted.

Former NFL player Fred Dryer was the runner-up for 'Sam Malone' and would have made a more convincing hot/sexy jock.

Julia Duffy was to be his 'Diane Chambers.'

But the powers that be preferred the chemistry between Ted Danson and Shelley Long, so they got the parts.

However, Dryer ended up getting the lead on HUNTER, which ran for 7 seasons.

And Duffy got NEWHART, which ran for 8 seasons. She also was Emmy-nominated several times.

by Anonymousreply 35May 28, 2024 2:48 PM

[quote]However, Dryer ended up getting the lead on HUNTER, which ran for 7 seasons.

True, but he would have made millions more on Cheers which ran for longer and had higher ratings.

Fred was sexy as hell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36May 28, 2024 2:55 PM

R19 and R23 - R21 us right. Yes, in the pilot she is being "stalked" by a brigade of guys, but it's made very clear it's a ritual every young woman with a pulse new to the firm was obliged to go through. And Joan is very business like when she tells her to go home, put a paper bag on her head and check herself in the mirror to see what physical attributed she might have to use. And for Pete' fucking her was less about finding her irresistible and more about her being the personal secretary of Don ( who humiliated Pete that day).

And later in the show, when they divide all women into Jackies and Marilyns, when Peggy asks the young guys to define her, they say Gertrude Stein (forcing Don to gallantly coming with an Irene Dunne analogy). So no, Peggy was never presented to us as supposedly gorgeous.

Mad Men was actually very clinically precise about the physical attributes of its characters, hence the actors playing them - at times almost cruelly so - Lane being described as ugly by a stans up comedian was a good example.

by Anonymousreply 37May 28, 2024 3:02 PM

Mischa Barton on The OC

by Anonymousreply 38May 28, 2024 3:02 PM

That is your judgment, R34.

by Anonymousreply 39May 28, 2024 3:05 PM

Penny from Big Bang Theory

Archie from Riverdale

by Anonymousreply 40May 28, 2024 3:09 PM

Juno Temple in Ted Lasso. I guess she was cute in the first season and I could see her being a ‘hot girl’, but by season 3 she looked like a 90lb mess ready to fall over from a strong breeze.

by Anonymousreply 41May 28, 2024 3:13 PM

[quote] I enjoyed the Duchess of Duke Street, but I never got Gemma Jones as a hottie. Maybe it's an English thing, but she seems goggle eyed to me.

It’s an English thing. I was on a 90s subreddit reading a discussion of the hottest Spice Girl and Geri Halliwell was frequently described as exquisite.

by Anonymousreply 42May 28, 2024 3:16 PM

[quote] I don't remember Peggy being referred to as beautiful.

I heard her looks being praised several times, which seemed to go against the heart of the character.

by Anonymousreply 43May 28, 2024 3:19 PM

Miranda and Carrie. At least there was an episode where Miranda screams at a guy for not thinking she’s beautiful. Every time I see that scene I zero in on her snaggleteeth and orange men’s haircut and think “babe, you don’t even fit the “cute” category.”

And Carrie? Neeeeiiighhhhh.

by Anonymousreply 44May 28, 2024 3:20 PM

[quote] Frasier. It is a key premise of the [original] show that attractive, sophisticated women will regularly fall for him.

Sure, Kelsey looks weird, what made Frasier appealing is his status as a celebrity doctor.

by Anonymousreply 45May 28, 2024 3:21 PM

[quote]I found him appealing AF. Definitely the hottest guy in QAF Pittsburgh.

Robert Gant would like a word with you…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46May 28, 2024 3:32 PM

Ted Danson wasn’t un-hot. Was he as smoking as Fred the VPL king Dryer? No, but I wouldn’t have thrown him out of bed for eating crackers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47May 28, 2024 3:38 PM

NPH as Barney on How I Met Your Mother

by Anonymousreply 48May 28, 2024 3:40 PM

R8 Remember when she went to Paris to…model

by Anonymousreply 49May 28, 2024 3:48 PM

I wonder whether Fred would have been allowed the enormous VPL bulges if he had done cheers or whether they would have forced some sort of you know, underwear, rather than obvious freeballing.

by Anonymousreply 50May 28, 2024 4:26 PM

Ted Danson was handsome in a soap opera actor sort of way when Cheers first started. Dryer has much more of an edge than Danson and Duffy is definitely a bit more sharp and bitchy than Shelley Long, so I could see how the powers that be would think that Danson and Long were a 'safer' choice.

by Anonymousreply 51May 28, 2024 4:28 PM

Ashton Kutcher.

When he replaced Charlie Sheen on "Two And A Half Men," the writers were tripping over themselves to come up with lines about how gorgeous he was. He's mediocre looking at best and his comedic and acting skills were even worse. Ashton Kutcher simply doesn't have the comedic chops that Charlie Sheen has.

by Anonymousreply 52May 28, 2024 4:35 PM

R52 And his only comedic device is yelling and screaming. He thinks that is hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 53May 28, 2024 4:46 PM

Marge Simpson - really? Just because she's slender and Homer's not? Her hair is hideous and so are her duck lips.

Elaine Benes on Seinfeld. We're supposed to believe she dates all these guys and can select which one of them is spongeworthy? And that she got Patrick Warburton?

by Anonymousreply 54May 28, 2024 4:55 PM

Elaine getting hot guys is a helluva lot more believable than a major schlub like George Costanza getting hot babes the way he did.

by Anonymousreply 55May 28, 2024 5:00 PM

Blanche Devereaux was never a beauty.

by Anonymousreply 56May 28, 2024 5:11 PM

Elaine is pretty and put together.

by Anonymousreply 57May 28, 2024 6:21 PM

Audrey Hepburn

by Anonymousreply 58May 28, 2024 6:21 PM

JJ from GOOD TIMES.

by Anonymousreply 59May 28, 2024 6:27 PM

Not TV but a movie.

Meryl Streep in "Sophie's Choice."

Everyone who meets her always remarks what an exquisite beauty she is.

She even gets a Nazi officer lusting after her in the concentration camp.

by Anonymousreply 60May 28, 2024 6:32 PM

Darren Criss owns this thread.

Also Lea Michelle, closeted Matt Morrison, And Timothy “Chevrolet.”

by Anonymousreply 61May 28, 2024 6:59 PM

Ryan Gosling.

by Anonymousreply 62May 28, 2024 7:00 PM

[quote]JJ from GOOD TIMES.

Yeah, but just thinking about John Amos' hot body had me screaming Damn! Damn! Damn! every time he appeared on the screen.

by Anonymousreply 63May 28, 2024 7:11 PM

James Van Der Beek.

Thought he was odd looking.

by Anonymousreply 64May 28, 2024 7:27 PM

Chrissy from Three's Company

by Anonymousreply 65May 28, 2024 8:30 PM

Loni Anderson on WKRP. There was too much going on.

Many straight guys I know who watched were in love with Jan Smithers as Bailey.

by Anonymousreply 66May 28, 2024 8:49 PM

R25- Especially the GAY episode from 1994 when that good looking guy at the radio station was interested in Frasier.

AS IF

in real life that would happen

by Anonymousreply 67May 28, 2024 9:03 PM

R66 - Jennifer and Bailey were the Ginger and Mary Ann of Cincinnati. Team Bailey here, and I was gay. Andy was really my jam anyway.

by Anonymousreply 68May 28, 2024 10:20 PM

Elaine on Seinfeld was definitely pretty enough to get hot guys in New York. A NY 8 is a California 5.

by Anonymousreply 69May 29, 2024 12:06 AM

Taste is subjective, but I don't think Julia Louis-Dreyfus was ever an "8" anywhere. Well, maybe for Toledo, OH. NYC is overflowing with models and actors, and while it doesn't have the same matinee-idol / soap opera beauty of Hollywood., it's far from an island of average shmoes. I'd put Julia closer to a 6/7 on a good day.

by Anonymousreply 70May 29, 2024 12:47 AM

Timothee and Jacob Elordi. Both are sexless.

by Anonymousreply 71May 29, 2024 2:00 AM

Blanche Devereux was never a beauty?

Sure - she looked like shit by 51, the first year of that show. Boy she aged badly. But she was quite the looker when she was younger.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72May 29, 2024 2:08 AM

The Elaine Benes character had a horrible, Gibson Girl-type hairdo to contend with for several seasons. She was often dressed in a frumpy manner even though JLD had a good figure.

by Anonymousreply 73May 29, 2024 2:24 AM

JLD dressed really frumpy when she was pregnant.

Her Gibson Girl pouf was part of her character for the first several seasons.

by Anonymousreply 74May 29, 2024 2:33 AM

Hawkeye on MASH.

by Anonymousreply 75May 29, 2024 2:49 AM

Jaleel White when he was de-urkled.

Still meh.

by Anonymousreply 76May 29, 2024 3:37 AM

Ok - for a young boy - I though Flo on Mel's Diner was the height of glamour. Polly fucking Holliday.

Oh and Jennifer Love Hewitt. She was cute - but damn was she oversold as some sort of sex symbol.

by Anonymousreply 77May 29, 2024 3:38 AM

r59 No one ever said he was supposed to be hot.

by Anonymousreply 78May 29, 2024 3:43 AM

Anyone from the 70s or 80s. They just hired the cheapest hack actors and sold them as hotties.

by Anonymousreply 79May 29, 2024 3:50 AM

I have a friend who worked on the first season of the American version of Queer as Folk, and he told me the character of Brian was conceived of as the classic American gay superstud of the era (i.e. more muscular and square jawed than Aiden Gillen in the original British version in the corresponding role). But the executives at Showtime worried about attracting women viewers whom they desperately wanted, and so they insisted on casting Gale Harold, an actor much more androgynous-looking (and so less threatening to women) than the showrunners had imagined.

by Anonymousreply 80May 29, 2024 4:00 AM

"Oh Blossom, you're so beautiful!"

by Anonymousreply 81May 29, 2024 4:02 AM

Shane on The L Word. That mangy looking mutt. Looked like she needed a good scrubbing and a meal, yet they built storylines around how irresistible she was to women. That was pretty much the entire character. And the actress had a flat and lifeless monotone delivery, blank facial expressions. I think she was the worst cast character of the main five.

by Anonymousreply 82May 29, 2024 4:14 AM

r82 - I fucking agree. I placed her in the "Kristy McNichol" pool. So unattractive, and not really sure what the appeal would be.

by Anonymousreply 83May 29, 2024 4:19 AM

R83, they're supposed to be coming back in another series: L Word New York. The writers need to tone it down with the OTT adulation of this now middle-aged scarecrow.

by Anonymousreply 84May 29, 2024 4:28 AM

She was also flat-chested but at least there was one plot where she was thought to be a boy.

by Anonymousreply 85May 29, 2024 4:41 AM

David Cassidy and Shaun Cassidy looked MTF to me

by Anonymousreply 86May 29, 2024 4:42 AM

I never found James Marsters very hot as Spike, although I liked him as an actor. He was too gaunt looking for me.

by Anonymousreply 87May 29, 2024 4:44 AM

R85, yeah but even then, they had the Hollywood power types falling all over the new twink. Ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 88May 29, 2024 4:54 AM

Doc on the Love Boat.

by Anonymousreply 89May 29, 2024 5:14 AM

Look, Kristy McNichol ANYWHERE. I don't get her wonky-assed eyes and why she was put forth as some girl in her prime that drew hot guys like Matt Dillon!! This was insane.

by Anonymousreply 90May 29, 2024 5:22 AM

[quote]Taste is subjective, but I don't think Julia Louis-Dreyfus was ever an "8" anywhere. Well, maybe for Toledo, OH.

Have you ever been to the Midwest? It's teeming with hotties/beauties of both sexes.

[quote]NYC is overflowing with models and actors, and while it doesn't have the same matinee-idol / soap opera beauty of Hollywood., it's far from an island of average shmoes. I'd put Julia closer to a 6/7 on a good day.

The Northeast, in general, has a lot of fugs.

by Anonymousreply 91May 29, 2024 5:36 AM

California got their hotties when many Midwesterners migrated en-masse to the Golden State during the Great Depression, seeking work and a new way of life.

The Midwest was hit the toughest by the Depression, plus they had to contend with the Dust Bowl, as well as violent gangsters like John Dillinger, Baby Face Nelson, Pretty Boy Floyd, and Bonnie & Clyde wreaking havoc in that region.

by Anonymousreply 92May 29, 2024 5:51 AM

Parker Stevenson. He has beady eyes that are too close together.

Joe Manganiello. Great body but another beady eyed rat-face boy.

Benedict Cumberbatch. He looks like an alien.

Julianna Margulies. There's something about her that's so manly.

by Anonymousreply 93May 29, 2024 5:56 AM

Katja Herbers has a very sweet, innocent face. Very pretty.

Elizabeth Moss is jolie laide. Yes her features are homely, but there is something compelling about them all the same.

by Anonymousreply 94May 29, 2024 6:00 AM

Good call on Parker Stevenson, R93

by Anonymousreply 95May 29, 2024 6:00 AM

Agree about Cumberbatch

by Anonymousreply 96May 29, 2024 6:04 AM

r93, the thread is about [italic]TV characters[/italic] who are said to be attractive, not about actors in general.

by Anonymousreply 97May 29, 2024 6:15 AM

California did not get its hotties from the midwest and the Dust Bowl.

The hotties are due to the movie industry and those chasing fame.

by Anonymousreply 98May 29, 2024 6:25 AM

Scott Baio. Looks like a less masculine variant of Anal Clooney.

by Anonymousreply 99May 29, 2024 7:12 AM

Defending Scott Baio in any manner in this current timeline troubles me, but if you were a wee bitty gayling in the late 70s (Happy Days) through mid 80s (Charles in Charge), you might be able to understand why he got so much attention. He had the look and attitude of someone who teen girls and young gaylings would plotz over.

by Anonymousreply 100May 29, 2024 1:06 PM

Olivia Benson—no man or woman, straight or gay, is immune to her allure.

Need to catch a serial killer? Just put her on the street.

by Anonymousreply 101May 29, 2024 1:10 PM

R24- I wasn’t attracted to any of the actors on QAF

by Anonymousreply 102May 29, 2024 1:22 PM

I have never watching Killing Eve, but have heard Sandra Oh’s character is supposed to be hot. Sandra Oh is and has never been hot.

by Anonymousreply 103May 29, 2024 1:25 PM

R86-Not that to me they just both seemed gay especially Shawn.

by Anonymousreply 104May 29, 2024 1:26 PM

Can anyone name a hot Asian, male or female?

by Anonymousreply 105May 29, 2024 1:27 PM

R104, But, thanks to Shirley, we know that the Cassidy boys were all well hung.

by Anonymousreply 106May 29, 2024 1:28 PM

R80- He was not androgynous looking. He was totally slim and not at all muscular but he was certainly on the masculine side.

by Anonymousreply 107May 29, 2024 1:29 PM

[quote]Can anyone name a hot Asian, male or female?

Daniel Dae Kim

by Anonymousreply 108May 29, 2024 2:23 PM

John Cho, younger,Kaneshiro Takeshi, Joan Chen, Gong Li, Rick and Karl Yune

by Anonymousreply 109May 29, 2024 2:40 PM

Tony Leung

by Anonymousreply 110May 29, 2024 2:45 PM

[quote][R93], the thread is about TV characters who are said to be attractive, not about actors in general.

Parker Stevenson - The Hardy Boys, Baywatch

Joe Manganiello - True Blood, HIMYM

Benedict Cumberbatch - Sherlock

Julianna Margulies - ER, The Good Wife

by Anonymousreply 111May 29, 2024 3:09 PM

Apolo Ohno

Yuji Okumoto in KK II

Russell Wong

by Anonymousreply 112May 29, 2024 3:22 PM

Tamlyn Tomita

Joan Chen

Jennifer Tilly (half Asian)

Dean Cain (before MAGA)

by Anonymousreply 113May 29, 2024 3:23 PM

I mean Scott Baio is older but still good looking. However, anyone who says he wasn't fucking hot as hell when he was younger is deranged.

by Anonymousreply 114May 29, 2024 3:24 PM

I never questioned that Rue wasn't beautiful...U think that's a huge compliment to her acting. She played a southern beauty and sold it. But I also think, when we were younger watching it, we wouldn't have had much frame of reference to how an aged beauty should look...and im sure she looked better than most over 50s back then...and maybe we accepted she might be hot, but that age group weren't appealing to us regardless.

by Anonymousreply 115May 29, 2024 3:41 PM

In what Blanche? Dog years?

by Anonymousreply 116May 29, 2024 3:43 PM

Alex Landi

Daniel Henney

Godfrey Gao

Takeshi Kaneshiro

And, of course, the late great Toshiro Mifune

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117May 29, 2024 3:45 PM

Simu Liu is HOT

by Anonymousreply 118May 29, 2024 3:58 PM

Meredith Baxter in Family. Nancy was constantly described as a perfect 10 prom queen that had boys lined up around the block, but in reality she was a boring, bitter, thin-lipped shrew that looked 40 at 22 and seemed like she'd bite off the first dick that pointed itself in her direction.

by Anonymousreply 119May 29, 2024 4:03 PM

Don't you start on our Nancy. You can call Buddy ugly all you want. I mean she was. But not our Nancy.

by Anonymousreply 120May 29, 2024 4:06 PM

That is Doug posting at R120, I want no part of that post!

by Anonymousreply 121May 29, 2024 4:16 PM

Mother please go make the coffee and change the baby. A nap is calling my name.

by Anonymousreply 122May 29, 2024 4:18 PM

I always thought Meredith Baxter was very cute and had the whole girl next door look down pat. Hair commercials beckoned.

by Anonymousreply 123May 29, 2024 4:20 PM

Greg Brady

by Anonymousreply 124May 29, 2024 4:24 PM

You heard her Kate. Get to stepping.

by Anonymousreply 125May 29, 2024 4:26 PM

Eve Whitney. I thought she looked and acted like a drag queen.

by Anonymousreply 126May 29, 2024 4:56 PM

The UK, in general, has a peculiar definition of attractiveness. I realized that when I first read of the “heartbreakingly beautiful” young Elizabeth. She was many things, but not that.

by Anonymousreply 127May 29, 2024 5:06 PM

Liz Taylor

by Anonymousreply 128May 29, 2024 5:43 PM

Hazel Burke

by Anonymousreply 129May 29, 2024 6:42 PM

[quote] Can anyone name a hot Asian, male or female?

That’s racist!

by Anonymousreply 130May 29, 2024 7:27 PM

I can name hot Asians but only if they're bottoms.

by Anonymousreply 131May 29, 2024 7:55 PM

Gemma Jones looked like an albino in a wig to me. She’s a nepo baby. Her OTT portrayal of Luisa was …over the top. Swinging her arms around, hands on hips, rolling up her sleeves, giving an “oomph” to get sentences by nodding her head and that very butch fake cockney accent…she looked like a deranged boxer spoiling for a fight

by Anonymousreply 132May 29, 2024 8:02 PM

Jeanine on Abbott Elementary.

by Anonymousreply 133May 29, 2024 8:23 PM

I hated the Brian character in “Queer as Folk”, US version. He didn’t have any redeeming qualities and had the sex appeal of an iceberg.

by Anonymousreply 134May 29, 2024 8:24 PM

r`105 your attempt at stirring the pot sort of failed.

by Anonymousreply 135May 29, 2024 8:26 PM

r134, is there an actor you wish had played Brian instead of Gale Harold?

by Anonymousreply 136May 29, 2024 8:34 PM

Unlike most folks here, I always thought Parker Stevenson was hot as fuck, but I’ve always fallen for those some-what handsome, boy-next-door types.

Also, he’s always been a bit swishy, so attainable in my 12-yo mind.

by Anonymousreply 137May 29, 2024 8:41 PM

"Look, Kristy McNichol ANYWHERE"

It's rare that child stars turn out to transition to adult roles. They are often hired because they look younger than their age, i.e. tiny and winsome. That doesn't translate to rom-com.

by Anonymousreply 138May 29, 2024 8:46 PM

R138.

by Anonymousreply 139May 29, 2024 8:48 PM

R137, Don’t forget “the big one”.

by Anonymousreply 140May 29, 2024 9:06 PM

I really can't remember Peggy being praised as beautiful either. In fact the earlier episodes sort of made a point of subtly saying how unfuckable she was compared to women like Joan and Betty.

Maybe her boyfriends said she was beautiful from time to time but she wasn't being chased around by multiple men. There are other examples of this thread of not terribly attractive actors/characters being worshipped as if they're stunning.

Also, some of the examples listed here - Kristy McNichol, Baio, the Cassidy brothers....aside from them being from the 70s, they were also teenagers or young adults, which is where a certain androgynous look is sometimes praised as beauty (see under: Chalamet, Timothee).

by Anonymousreply 141May 29, 2024 9:09 PM

R138 R139

by Anonymousreply 142May 29, 2024 9:17 PM

that big hulking orangutan on that 70s show

by Anonymousreply 143May 29, 2024 9:22 PM

Marge Simpson

by Anonymousreply 144May 29, 2024 9:35 PM

Did you guys find Brian unattractive when you watched QaF 20 years ago or are you just being cunts?

by Anonymousreply 145May 29, 2024 10:14 PM

Even as a gay man, I can see that Katja Herbers is poised, stylish, cultured (from a family of classical musicians), refined, and well educated. Combined with her good fashion sense and down-to-earth, easygoing Dutch personality, this makes her quite attractive, which is better than just plain "hot."

by Anonymousreply 146May 29, 2024 10:57 PM

[quote]Shane on The L Word. That mangy looking mutt. Looked like she needed a good scrubbing and a meal, yet they built storylines around how irresistible she was to women. That was pretty much the entire character. And the actress had a flat and lifeless monotone delivery, blank facial expressions. I think she was the worst cast character of the main five.

I agree with you about the character Shane's lack of appeal, but the actress who played her (Kate Moennig) was a huge sex symbol for the entire run of the show, with many fans tuning in just to see her. There was even a whole "I'd go gay for Shane" trend among straight girls, countless fan tribute videos, fan art, etc. All of this made her "female lothario" status on the show rather more credible, even though she might not have been your or my cup of tea.

by Anonymousreply 147May 29, 2024 11:26 PM

Moennig also played a trans woman in an episode of L&O: SVU.

by Anonymousreply 148May 29, 2024 11:28 PM

Please marry me, R7!

by Anonymousreply 149May 29, 2024 11:31 PM

Yes, Lily was THE best example.

Pig nosed little mall chick and the show pretended she was the siren for all ages. How many men went beserk for her? How many died? All that good cock for THAT?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150May 29, 2024 11:34 PM

So many morons don’t know the difference between characters and actors. R61 first and foremost.

by Anonymousreply 151May 29, 2024 11:37 PM

There are SO many hot Asian performers, many noted above.

One of the hottest is Vincent Rodriguez, who played Josh Chan on Crazy Ex-Girlfriend.

I believe he’s also a really awesome human being as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152May 29, 2024 11:47 PM

There are so many gorgeous and hot Asian actors it is ridiculous. The poster above is racist.

by Anonymousreply 153May 29, 2024 11:56 PM

Fred (Amy Acker) on Angel.

Neela (Parminder Nagra) on ER.

Every man that saw them fell desperately, head-over-heels in love with them. It was ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 154May 30, 2024 12:08 AM

R154, I respectfully disagree about Neela on ER. I can see why men fell for her.

by Anonymousreply 155May 30, 2024 12:16 AM

[quote][R134], is there an actor you wish had played Brian instead of Gale Harold?

Not R144, but I concur with Damon Runyan (R9). He played a pervy coach in Degrassi The Next Gen. who lures a teen boy with beer and porn, and he had me wishing I was the boy. Coincidentally, another Degrassi alum, John Bregar, auditioned for the role of Justin and is infinitely hotter than Randy Harrison. The Brian/Justin sex scenes would have been scorching if they had been cast in the roles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156May 30, 2024 12:36 AM

^*Not R134

by Anonymousreply 157May 30, 2024 12:39 AM

I will never for the life of me understand why Rachel was considered so much hotter than Monica on Friends. They were equally attractive.

by Anonymousreply 158May 30, 2024 12:49 AM

As a gayling, I never understood how the captain's daughter on "The Love Boat" was supposed to be portrayed as attractive, hot girl. I found the actress rather ugly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159May 30, 2024 1:14 AM

YOU SEXIST PIG OP!

I SEE PRETTIER MEN EVERYDAY. HE'S NOT HOT! SEXY MAN. SEXY HANDSOME MAN. WHO SAYS THAT PIG

by Anonymousreply 160May 30, 2024 1:15 AM

R147, there's no accounting for taste. Maybe she reminded the straight women of their teenybopper years when they crushed on pre-pubescent boys.

by Anonymousreply 161May 30, 2024 1:36 AM

Courtney Cock was much prettier than Jen Aniston and Lisa Kudrow. She then went and ruined her face.

by Anonymousreply 162May 30, 2024 1:40 AM

Laura Wright's Carly Spencer on General Hospital. She's written as this "incredible, irresistible" woman though in reality she's the very definition of a shrill harridan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163May 30, 2024 1:50 AM

Good one r159. I thought she was downright U G L Y. And irritating. And she was on the original "Friends" (look it up)

Also like that girl on 7th Heaven whose face was once compared to the front end of a 1960 Plymouth Valiant.

by Anonymousreply 164May 30, 2024 1:58 AM

R7 R150 Definitely, 100% agree, without a doubt. If anything she's a suburban soccer mom, at best- and not even one of the hot ones. She even dressed rather basic, yet she had all these gorgeous men tripping over her, from American men to foreign men, involved in countless love triangles where she was the object of their affection- absolutely ridiculous.

It was more believable when her long lost identical twin Rose D'Angelo showed up in Oakdale. Even her husband Holden complimented Rose on how much better the sex was with her, although unbeknownst to Holden, Rose was impersonating Lily when he made that observation.

by Anonymousreply 165May 30, 2024 1:58 AM

R159 She's actually reminiscent of another legendary Victoria- a younger version of Erika Slezak's Victoria "Viki" Lord

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166May 30, 2024 2:02 AM

Nancy on Stranger Things. She's a bag of bones.

by Anonymousreply 167May 30, 2024 3:50 AM

Lou Ferrigno.

But I’d fuck his son into next week.

by Anonymousreply 168May 30, 2024 4:18 AM

Serena on Bewitched.

by Anonymousreply 169May 30, 2024 4:40 AM

Sophia on the Golden Girls

by Anonymousreply 170May 30, 2024 5:40 AM

Lily Walsh didn't really have much competition in Oakdale, though. At least not during the early years. Who else was "nubile" and always hanging around those stables?

by Anonymousreply 171May 30, 2024 6:02 AM

Monica in Friends was extremely uptight and high maintenance. Phoebe was extremely quirky. The three of them were all pretty, at least when the show started, but Rachel was relatively laid-back and otherwise ordinary, which is what a fairly pedestrian sitcom, and most young straight men, want.

I'm not sure NPH was meant to be wildly attractive on HIMYM. I know the character was always nailing women, but there was a bit of a joke undercurrent to the character's allure, as with Joey in Friends, who was no more a sex symbol than either of the others to the female viewing audience.

by Anonymousreply 172May 30, 2024 3:55 PM

Courtney Cox was by far the prettiest of the three, however, having watched a few reruns recently I noticed that her hair was way too dark, like almost ink black. It was not a good look.

by Anonymousreply 173May 30, 2024 4:09 PM

R171 Excuse us?

by Anonymousreply 174May 30, 2024 5:19 PM

lol at R174. I’m assuming you mean the Melanie Smith version of Emily.

by Anonymousreply 175May 30, 2024 5:29 PM

Laurie Partridge--long, stringy hair and gums.

by Anonymousreply 176May 30, 2024 5:30 PM

Melanie Smith knew when to keep her mouth shut--and when to keep it open. She also looked like a call girl.

She's aged quite well, though. Here she is on Curb, playing a member of an incest survivor group:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177May 30, 2024 5:41 PM

lol good one R56

I disagree with those saying Gale Howard wasn’t hot.

Charlie Sheen in two and a half men didn’t fit the bill IMO. One of the reasons I couldn’t stand that show.

by Anonymousreply 178May 30, 2024 5:48 PM

R175 of course! And the Jennifer Ashe version of Meg.

The OG bitches!

by Anonymousreply 179May 30, 2024 5:51 PM

R52 is right. Ashton looked a mess with the long hair and shit. He hit a wall. But, r52 is dead wrong to pretend that Ashton in his 20s wasn’t hot. When that 70s show aired in the late 90s he was a hot piece of early-20s ass. Most of his OG time on the show was his peak in beauty. My goodness, you’d have to be blind to pretend Ashton wasn’t hot as hell, physically, between the late-90s and say 2008 or so.

by Anonymousreply 180May 30, 2024 7:17 PM

Jennifer Ashe had the ultimate bitch-face (though her heart in the right place, apparently):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181May 30, 2024 7:21 PM

[quote]I disagree with those saying Gale Howard wasn’t hot.

I can only imagine they are going blind. I pray for them. He was scaldingly, sizzlingly hot. All I wanted was to be Sunshine in their opening scene.

by Anonymousreply 182May 30, 2024 7:26 PM

We just had an entire thread devoted to it. Julie on One Day At A time. You'd add her mom but no one considered her to be hot.

by Anonymousreply 183May 30, 2024 8:28 PM

Was Flo supposed to be hot? She was a lot lizard to be sure, but attractive? I think not.

by Anonymousreply 184May 30, 2024 8:55 PM

Gale Harold was so not hot. He was ordinary beyond belief. There were guest stars on QAF who were hotter.

by Anonymousreply 185May 30, 2024 9:25 PM

We need Queer Eye for the average looking gal

by Anonymousreply 186May 30, 2024 11:51 PM

Vincent

by Anonymousreply 187May 30, 2024 11:55 PM

[quote]Gale Harold was so not hot. He was ordinary beyond belief. There were guest stars on QAF who were hotter.

I always had the idea that Brian was supposed to be hot due to attitude and swagger and sufficiently hot in looks to get laid as often as he wanted.

There is a different sensibility to a character that is hot purely based on looks. The writers seemed to write him as someone making up for lost time from his messed up youth.

by Anonymousreply 188May 31, 2024 2:22 AM

Nurse Jackie. And there is a British actress with a similar look who has been in several series where men are falling over themselves for her.

by Anonymousreply 189May 31, 2024 2:32 AM

R118 = Simu Liu

by Anonymousreply 190May 31, 2024 2:39 AM

[quote] The Midwest was hit the toughest by the Depression, plus they had to contend with the Dust Bowl, as well as violent gangsters like John Dillinger, Baby Face Nelson, Pretty Boy Floyd, and Bonnie & Clyde wreaking havoc in that region.

WTF, does any of this nonsense have to do with this thread?

by Anonymousreply 191May 31, 2024 2:41 AM

[quote] Nurse Jackie.

Agreed.

by Anonymousreply 192May 31, 2024 2:48 AM

Sam Winchester. Great body, monkey face.

by Anonymousreply 193May 31, 2024 2:53 AM

[quote] Jennifer Ashe had the ultimate bitch-face

Who could blame her? Her scumbag husband was fucking and blackmailing half the town and poor Meg had to settle for having an affair with her sister’s rapist.

Boy, “ATWT” was one messed up show in the late 80s-early 90s.

by Anonymousreply 194May 31, 2024 2:54 AM

Who thought old Tonio Reyes (Mr. Meg) was hot?

My siblings and I used to giggle at the mention of fictional banana republic "Montega" (his home country?) on ATWT. Even as young teenagers we were aware of how silly it sounded.

by Anonymousreply 195May 31, 2024 3:00 AM

[quote] Who thought old Tonio Reyes (Mr. Meg) was hot?

With the vegetable growing on his face. Meanwhile, he fucked every hot piece of ass in Oakdale while telling each of them what slutty garbage they were in his deadpan delivery.

And that hair. Bizarre character.

by Anonymousreply 196May 31, 2024 3:05 AM

I love Jennifer Ashe. Her Meg was delicious!

Remember when Lily’s best friend was Craig? Come on!

Remember when Brian Bloom’s Dusty would shake hands with any other male character he came in contact with?

by Anonymousreply 197May 31, 2024 3:10 AM

[quote] Remember when Lily’s best friend was Craig? Come on!

Most 17-year-old girls are best friends with 30-something-year-old men…in Oakdale.

And don’t get me started on linebacker, MTF Betsy.

by Anonymousreply 198May 31, 2024 3:15 AM

Nurse Jackie was NOT presented as hot, stop with your bullshit revisionism. She was an assertive woman who was not above cheating on her husband. Her main sex partner (the priest from The Sopranos) was totally average-looking. This thread is devolving into "TV characters I dislike".

by Anonymousreply 199May 31, 2024 3:24 AM

Phoebe Wallingford.

by Anonymousreply 200May 31, 2024 4:16 AM

Morticia Adams.

by Anonymousreply 201May 31, 2024 4:29 AM

The witches on Charmed always seemed to score hot guys. Alyssa Milano I can believe but not Shannen and especially not Holly Marie.

by Anonymousreply 202May 31, 2024 4:48 AM

agree r202

by Anonymousreply 203May 31, 2024 4:59 AM

Sam Waterston on Law & Order. He was said to have affairs with all his female assistants but he does nothing for me.

by Anonymousreply 204May 31, 2024 5:02 AM

r171 r174 I always wondered what Janie Cobb looked like.

by Anonymousreply 205May 31, 2024 5:49 AM

[quote]Sam Waterston on Law & Order. He was said to have affairs with all his female assistants but he does nothing for me.

It’s because he was scorching in his day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206May 31, 2024 10:35 AM

R150 - It has to tough for a soap actress when she's romantically paired with a man who's prettier than she is.

by Anonymousreply 207May 31, 2024 11:50 AM

Cricket Blair on Young and the Restless.

by Anonymousreply 208May 31, 2024 12:14 PM

That’s because Cricket is a nepo baby R208. Nina was a lot uglier and got hot guys. I haven’t watched since the 90’s btw

by Anonymousreply 209May 31, 2024 12:50 PM

[quote] as with Joey in Friends, who was no more a sex symbol than either of the others to the female viewing audience.

Noooo, Matt LeBlanc was actually incredibly good looking, particularly in the early seasons.

by Anonymousreply 210May 31, 2024 12:55 PM

Has anyone mentioned Frasier Crane yet ? I could never understand how he managed to consistently attract women who were clearly leagues above him, including, in some storylines, actual models?

I can only imagine that Kelsey Grammer had some input when it came to casting his love interests.

by Anonymousreply 211May 31, 2024 12:57 PM

It's different for men, though - Frasier had wealth, was a minor local celebrity, and had social standing in the community as a respected psychiatrist. It doesn't seem that odd that he could have his pick of dates.

by Anonymousreply 212May 31, 2024 1:59 PM

Benjamin Bratt on Law & Order. Repeated references to how hot he supposedly was and interviewees coming on to him. He looked like a turtle.

by Anonymousreply 213May 31, 2024 4:36 PM

^you have zero taste.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214May 31, 2024 5:12 PM

Nurse Jackie was when Edie Falco started pinging hard.

by Anonymousreply 215May 31, 2024 6:12 PM

[quote] That’s because Cricket is a nepo baby [R208]. Nina was a lot uglier and got hot guys. I haven’t watched since the 90’s btw

Ugh. Nina Webster on Y&R needed the following to complete her "look": Side ponytail and a crimping iron.

by Anonymousreply 216May 31, 2024 6:14 PM

Well, I'm going to voice an unpopular opinion about Martha Byrne as Lily Walsh. Lily was SUPPOSED to be completely insecure about herself, never knowing, as a rich girl, whether she could ever trust ANYTHING anyone told her, and of course that insecurity got a million times worse after the maternity/paternity reveal. Holden eventually fell in love with her, yes, but in the beginning, it was made clear that his only interest was getting off that damn farm, raking in as much money as he possibly could, moving up in society, and "showing them all!"

Lily never, at any age, behaved like a woman who thought she was beautiful. She was always making self-deprecating comments. The character of Lily would not have worked with a Melanie Smith-type in the role, that's for sure. But millions of everyday women saw Byrne in the role, and thought, "That's ME, if I had tons of money."

by Anonymousreply 217May 31, 2024 9:56 PM

I always thought Byrne was attractive in a Rosanna Arquette overbite sort of way...I would imagine straight guys might have too...

by Anonymousreply 218June 1, 2024 12:28 AM

R217, that’s a really great assessment.

by Anonymousreply 219June 1, 2024 12:36 AM

R211- I mentioned him earlier. The GAY episode from 1994- this good looking guy who works at the Radio station is attracted to Frasier which I thought was totally absurd that a young good looking guy in his early 30's would be so amorous towards Frasier.

by Anonymousreply 220June 1, 2024 12:50 AM

R204- Yes, Sam Waterston is a PUSSYHOUND

like Richard Simmons .

by Anonymousreply 221June 1, 2024 12:51 AM

Kelly Taylor. Jennie Garth was Helen of Troy compared to Tori but 90210 treated Kelly like she was the most gorgeous woman to ever live in Beverly Hills, especially in the later seasons.

by Anonymousreply 222June 1, 2024 5:29 AM

Gay men think that straight people are as shallow as they are, and they really REALLY are not. A woman who is a 6 in looks could easily bag herself some majorly primo dick nightly if she's confident, witty, and sexy (bonus if she gives the impression she might be a little kinky). The same goes for a male 6 if he's well-dressed, funny, and charismatic (bonus if he gives her the impression he's got some money).

Point is, just because these characters are getting laid often, doesn't mean it's implied they're gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 223June 1, 2024 6:26 AM

R213 That's enough from you, Helen Keller.

by Anonymousreply 224June 1, 2024 8:24 AM

When NYPD Blue was on the air the NYT once described Jimmy Smits in an article as

HANDSOME

Handsome?

He looked like a Monkey 🙊

by Anonymousreply 225June 1, 2024 11:56 AM

[quote] Gay men think that straight people are as shallow as they are, and they really REALLY are not.

Um, from what I’ve seen straight guys can be far worse than gay guys that way. The way they treat and objectify women can be grotesque so don’t kid yourself.

by Anonymousreply 226June 1, 2024 12:01 PM

R226 they may want 10’s, but they will fuck or have girlfriends and wives who are far below that

by Anonymousreply 227June 1, 2024 1:38 PM

Who is this racist person against Latin men referring to them as turtles and monkeys?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228June 1, 2024 4:04 PM

I also found Jimmy Smits quite hot. Haven’t seen him lately though

by Anonymousreply 229June 1, 2024 5:27 PM

[quote] Ted was the straight-passing corporate gay QaF US

You've got to be joking.

by Anonymousreply 230June 4, 2024 2:47 AM

The Fonz.

by Anonymousreply 231June 4, 2024 3:11 AM

Chrissy from Three's Company. Ugly, bleached-blonde, clueless bimbo whose makeup was garish and harsh, and yet all guys were absolutely gaga over her. I realize it was because she had tits, ass and long legs, but I really never found her hot.

by Anonymousreply 232June 4, 2024 3:15 AM

More on Benjamin Bratt on Law & Order. I just saw an episode where it was mentioned that he was transferred out of the Organized Crime Control Bureau to get away from a female boss who was sexually harassing him. Oh please.

by Anonymousreply 233June 4, 2024 3:19 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!