Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Netanyahu says deadly Israeli strike in Rafah was the result of a 'tragic mistake'

TEL AVIV, Israel (AP) — Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Monday that a “tragic mistake” was made in an Israeli strike in the southern Gaza city of Rafah that set fire to a camp housing displaced Palestinians and, according to local officials, killed at least 45 people.

The strike only added to the surging international criticism Israel has faced over its war with Hamas, with even its closest allies expressing outrage at civilian deaths. Israel insists it adheres to international law even as it faces scrutiny in the world’s top courts, one of which last week demanded that it halt the offensive in Rafah.

Netanyahu did not elaborate on the error. Israel's military initially said it had carried out a precise airstrike on a Hamas compound, killing two senior militants. As details of the strike and fire emerged, the military said it had opened an investigation into the deaths of civilians.

Sunday night's attack, which appeared to be one of the war’s deadliest, helped push the overall Palestinian death toll in the war above 36,000, according to the Gaza Health Ministry, which does not distinguish between fighters and noncombatants in its tally.

“Despite our utmost efforts not to harm innocent civilians, last night there was a tragic mistake,” Netanyahu said Monday in an address to Israel’s parliament. “We are investigating the incident and will obtain a conclusion because this is our policy.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10May 28, 2024 2:53 PM

[quote] We are investigating the incident and will obtain a conclusion because this is our policy

Oh, you have a policy?

The delicate genius has a policy??

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1May 28, 2024 1:06 AM

Shit might be poppin off soon, for real 👀

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2May 28, 2024 1:29 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3May 28, 2024 1:32 AM

What does the article say, R2?

I don't trust the link.

by Anonymousreply 4May 28, 2024 2:48 AM

[bold]Netanyahu ALSO said the 3 "surgical" strikes against the World Central Kitchen aid convoy was an accident[/bold]

Note that the 3 vehicles were about a kilometer apart from each other and had told and agreed with IDF about their route.... each vehicle was hit with a missile with no other missiles hitting anywhere else.

Theory is they did it to scare away all aid orgs

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 28, 2024 8:10 AM

"Oops, I did it again!"

by Anonymousreply 6May 28, 2024 10:44 AM

Yes, Netanyahu.

By all means, keep reviewing your policies, while you keep killing children.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 28, 2024 11:29 AM

I still don't understand how Israel continues to get away with this shit.

Bombing refugees doesn't fit the "We have the right to defend ourselves" model.

I have no love for either side in this but this is clearly Israels' version of "The Final Solution".

And the U.S. is standing firmly behind this.

Of course I will vote Biden (who I do not admire) but only because tRump is much, much worse.

by Anonymousreply 8May 28, 2024 12:07 PM

There should be MANY more reasons to vote for Biden than “Trump is worse”. There is absolutely no comparison.

by Anonymousreply 9May 28, 2024 1:39 PM

C'est la guerre. It’s unavoidable to have situations like this. The U.S. has been in many in its history.

by Anonymousreply 10May 28, 2024 2:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!