Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Hubert Selby, Jr.

He was the author of two of the bleakest novels of all time--Last Exit to Brooklyn and Requiem for a dream--that were made into two of the most depressing films of all time, both of the same name as the novel from which they were adapted. The novel he considered his bleakest and most disturbing of all, The Room, inspired a section of Richard Linklater's Waking Life. He taught creative writing for years at USC.

Any fans of him as a writer, or of the films made from his books?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19May 31, 2024 5:32 AM

Yes.

I had a very hip substitute English teacher in high school who sensed that I was a smart rebel kid itching to break out of boring suburbia, and he gave me a well-worn paperback copy of Last Exit to Brooklyn, which blew my mind.

Today he'd probably be arrested for that but the 15-year-old me still thanks you, Mr. V.

by Anonymousreply 1May 28, 2024 12:11 AM

What did he think of the film adaptations of his work?

by Anonymousreply 2May 28, 2024 12:16 AM

Great writer

by Anonymousreply 3May 28, 2024 1:02 AM

He gave lecture at a film class I attended in the late 1970's. He was elfin and frail, with a young obese wife who watched him like a hawk and told the class herself that the marriage was difficult. He seemed kind and sensitive. In hindsight, it seemed despite his success, he struggled.

by Anonymousreply 4May 28, 2024 6:12 AM

Fun fact: Patton Oswalt referenced him in one of his (Oswalt's) filmed stand-ups and that obscure reference made me a fan of Oswalt ever since.

by Anonymousreply 5May 28, 2024 7:03 AM

Oswalt is an asshole

by Anonymousreply 6May 28, 2024 2:43 PM

No. He's hilarious

by Anonymousreply 7May 28, 2024 4:01 PM

Last Exit made me physically ill.

I never finished The Room but made it very close. Does he ever find out why he's being held? Does he ever pop the zit? Someone, please spoil it for me.

by Anonymousreply 8May 28, 2024 4:10 PM

Looks like Bob Newhart.

by Anonymousreply 9May 28, 2024 4:28 PM

Can anyone weigh in on r8?

by Anonymousreply 10May 29, 2024 12:00 AM

Huge fan.

by Anonymousreply 11May 29, 2024 12:08 AM

[quote] Looks like Bob Newhart.

He looks like an anorexic version of the Grim Reaper cosplaying as Newhart in the photo at OP

by Anonymousreply 12May 29, 2024 12:12 AM

He was Bob Newhart's forceps baby cousin

by Anonymousreply 13May 29, 2024 12:14 AM

Mr. Smithers

by Anonymousreply 14May 29, 2024 1:47 AM

E. T.

by Anonymousreply 15May 29, 2024 6:41 AM

R8 R10 I also read The Room but couldn't finish it. Sorry I can't help.

by Anonymousreply 16May 31, 2024 5:23 AM

R6 Why the hate for Oswalt? He's a funny, intelligent guy.

by Anonymousreply 17May 31, 2024 5:24 AM

Do they ever teach his books in colleges? I have never known of a college or university that has. But then William S. Burroughs and the Beats rarely get taught much either.

by Anonymousreply 18May 31, 2024 5:29 AM

R18 I'm laughing my ass off!

by Anonymousreply 19May 31, 2024 5:32 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!