Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Bill Walton is dead to me

Cancer did him in, not the dissolution of The Conference of Champions. A chatterbox, great player and overall good guy. During his last season as a commentator, he said of Liberty University, "never has a University been so misnamed."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 27, 2024 7:16 PM

As a fellow stutterer, Bill was an inspiration to me as a kid. If someone with his stutter could overcome it and become an NBA announcer? I could overcome my own impediment.

And, yes, when healthy he was as good as anyone.

by Anonymousreply 1May 27, 2024 6:55 PM

I agree with many of the sports talking heads today—-one of the two greatest college basketball players in history. Both being UCLA centers.

Of all the professional careers that could have been a lot different a,lot greater with fewer injuries Bill must be in the top 5 on that list.

by Anonymousreply 2May 27, 2024 7:00 PM

His son Luke said that whenever there was a birthday, he would buy his sons something he wanted. When he was 11, Bill bought his son a Neil Young tape.

by Anonymousreply 3May 27, 2024 7:02 PM

Lived near him when I was growing up and he was a very funny guy and very nice to all the kids in the neighborhood.....his kids were nice, too.

by Anonymousreply 4May 27, 2024 7:05 PM

That's a shame. I usually buy bread at his stores.

by Anonymousreply 5May 27, 2024 7:06 PM

Mein NBA Commissioner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 27, 2024 7:08 PM

Good guy. Great at color commentary. His only flaw? Choosing UCLA. He will be missed.

by Anonymousreply 7May 27, 2024 7:16 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!