Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Search for mysterious disappearance of gorgeous man continues 18 years later

The chilling story of Brian Shaffer's disappearance is still a question mark, almost 20 years on.

The second year medical student and his roommate, William “Clint” Florence, made their way to a bar called the Ugly Tuna Saloona in Columbus' University District on 31 March, 2006.

At 10pm, he called his girlfriend to confirm their upcoming Miami trip, telling her that he loved her as she was going to visit her parents in Toledo before coming back to meet with him the following Monday...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81June 26, 2024 1:10 AM

One of the strangest missing persons cases ever.

by Anonymousreply 1May 27, 2024 3:56 PM

Has anyone checked the bar?

by Anonymousreply 2May 27, 2024 3:57 PM

He is somewhere inside a hidden pipe or hole in that bar. When the place gets tore down they’ll find his remains.

by Anonymousreply 3May 27, 2024 3:58 PM

Tore down?

by Anonymousreply 4May 27, 2024 4:15 PM

A very handsome man. Too bad he's missing.

by Anonymousreply 5May 27, 2024 4:16 PM

Shit! This was the one I could not think of when I posted this weekend about "unsolved mysteries" that keep me up at night---

I agree with R3..

I think his weird "friend" who was cagey is just a douche, and that was the red herring-

by Anonymousreply 6May 27, 2024 4:18 PM

[quote] At 10pm, he called his girlfriend to confirm their upcoming Miami trip

Who does that?

You know our trip to Florida? I’m confirming it. Consider it confirmed.

by Anonymousreply 7May 27, 2024 4:27 PM

The bar closed down and was remodeled into office space. He's not in there.

by Anonymousreply 8May 27, 2024 4:29 PM

This story creeps me out big time. It's too weird. I know it's also probably something innocuous and only ominous because he's a missing person, but I find the weird hand gestures he seemed to do in so many pictures extremely creepy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9May 27, 2024 4:32 PM

Is there a water tank on the roof?

by Anonymousreply 10May 27, 2024 4:36 PM

Tupac took him out R9

by Anonymousreply 11May 27, 2024 4:43 PM

Agreed. It's certainly not Midwest.

by Anonymousreply 12May 27, 2024 4:47 PM

Diddy saw him, decided he wanted sum "white guy meat"& destroyed his pussy after a week.

Paid his staff to clean up the mess.

by Anonymousreply 13May 27, 2024 4:52 PM

[quote]He is somewhere inside a hidden pipe or hole in that bar. When the place gets tore down they’ll find his remains.

The bar closed several years ago and the space had a total gut renovation. Nothing was found.

by Anonymousreply 14May 27, 2024 5:25 PM

Did they check the chimney?

by Anonymousreply 15May 27, 2024 5:26 PM

Was Killary anywhere in the area at the time?

by Anonymousreply 16May 27, 2024 5:29 PM

I lean toward theories that he was subdued or even killed in the bar that night and smuggled out in a trash bin or similar. Possibly he saw something he shouldn't have with employees, kitchen staff, etc., and his body was moved after they closed using an entrance without a camera fixed on it.

I knew a girl who went out with a large group of friends for her final night in the US, years ago, in Manhattan, to a large bar with multiple rooms. They all drifted apart throughout the night and she was last seen sitting alone at one of the bars saying she was tired and resting there for a bit. When the group gathered and left at the end of the night she was not among them, and they all figured she had gone home because she looked so tired earlier, and had been thinking about how she needed to finish packing. Turns out she never left the bar. She woke up in a storage closet, with the bar completely closed down and dark, and it was 6 or 7AM. She was able to let herself out and walked home, barefoot, as she was also missing her shoes. She felt pain like she had been assaulted and was very groggy, like she had probably been drugged. Apparently this was not reported to police because she was flying back to the UK, where she was from, originally, that same day, and had to finish packing for the flight. That story made me think twice about going out alone in the city, and the fact that she was among multiple friends made it even more disturbing.

My guess is something similar could have happened in this case. If he was very drunk, he could have passed out somewhere and come to after the bar was closed, at which point perhaps he saw some activity going on (drugs or whatever else) that made someone want to silence him, permanently.

by Anonymousreply 17May 27, 2024 5:53 PM

Might have been The Rapture.

by Anonymousreply 18May 27, 2024 5:59 PM

R17-- Very cool and also likely-

by Anonymousreply 19May 27, 2024 6:02 PM

I’m innocent!

by Anonymousreply 20May 27, 2024 6:03 PM

Is his stuff still available?

by Anonymousreply 21May 27, 2024 6:04 PM

It seems likelier that he left through the back in an intoxicated state, unnoticed by cameras, than that he was murdered inside the bar.

Maybe he did drugs with someone, accidentally overdosed and they covered it up by disposing of him. Maybe he was killed in a robbery or died in a bizarre drunken accident with mitigating circumstances that kept the body concealed. None of it captures the public imagination like the idea of entering a room and never leaving it, though.

Maura Murray's disappearance is similar in that there's a strong probability she drunkenly succumbed to the elements but more elaborate theories and conspiracies tend to take center stage, even among her closest relatives.

by Anonymousreply 22May 27, 2024 6:15 PM

Are there more photos like this r9?

by Anonymousreply 23May 27, 2024 6:21 PM

R23 there are multiple

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24May 27, 2024 6:36 PM

Another

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25May 27, 2024 6:37 PM

Here he just has his finger in a weird position

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 27, 2024 6:38 PM

There are many conditions (trigger finger, Dupuytren's contracture, etc.) that can cause hand weirdness.

by Anonymousreply 27May 27, 2024 6:47 PM

He transitioned and is now living a quiet life as a housewife in East McKeesport, PA.

by Anonymousreply 28May 27, 2024 6:49 PM

[quote] Is his stuff still available?

He IS stuff now.

by Anonymousreply 29May 27, 2024 6:52 PM

R14, are you also R8?

by Anonymousreply 30May 27, 2024 6:53 PM

[quote]It seems likelier that he left through the back in an intoxicated state, unnoticed by cameras, than that he was murdered inside the bar.

There was a motion activated camera at the back door of the bar and he wasn't seen on it. There were also multiple other cameras in the immediate area and he wasn't seen on any of those either. I lean towards r17's theory that he was something he shouldn't have seen, was killed in the bar, and smuggled out in some kind of bin or container.

by Anonymousreply 31May 27, 2024 6:59 PM

Sorry, I meant he SAW somethings that he shouldn't have seen.

by Anonymousreply 32May 27, 2024 6:59 PM

He was a hot piece of ass

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33May 27, 2024 7:01 PM

The hand thing is either a tribute to spider man or he was really tense

by Anonymousreply 34May 27, 2024 7:04 PM

But was that bar tore up from the floor up?

by Anonymousreply 35May 27, 2024 7:06 PM

He’s not buried on my golf course.

by Anonymousreply 36May 27, 2024 7:09 PM

Here's an overview of the exits and cameras (via Google). Anecdotally, I've used different sorts of security cameras both at work and at home, some more advanced than the technology of 18 years ago, and they aren't infallible. Some of the ways he might've eluded cameras are mentioned in this thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37May 27, 2024 7:11 PM

He had a hot body

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38May 27, 2024 7:17 PM

I’ve read from Reddit that the cameras never worked properly per former workers and that he probably left like anyone else. After that, who knows.

I’d like to see pictures of him posing as a kid to see if he did the same hand gestures and it’s just a personal tic.

by Anonymousreply 39May 27, 2024 7:19 PM

The hand gesture means he was a member of an extraterrestrial advance party - he had obviously finished his mission and was picked up by the mother ship.

by Anonymousreply 40May 27, 2024 7:25 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41May 27, 2024 7:34 PM

The cameras did not cover all exit options. There was an additional exit that the bar band used to leave. Apparently the band and some of the customers left together and they were not on camera. I believe he intended to disappear all along and slipped out unnoticed to start a new life. The so-called narrative of "a man walks into a bar and never comes back out" is bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 42May 27, 2024 8:04 PM

Oh, and he told his close friend at the bar about this in confidence and it is likely why they had an argument there. He probably tried to talk him out of it, and it is why he decided not to take a lie detector test or talk further to the investigators.

by Anonymousreply 43May 27, 2024 8:06 PM

He had no reason to start a new life, he was not depressed or unhappy. And how the hell has he not been seen in almost 20 years if he actually did that? It's pretty much impossible to make yourself disappear and live under an alias these days.

by Anonymousreply 44May 27, 2024 8:17 PM

[quote]The cameras did not cover all exit options.

From everyhting I've read, there were only two ways to exit the bar and cameras covered both exits. There were also other cameras all over that neighborhood and he wasn't seen on any of them.

by Anonymousreply 45May 27, 2024 8:18 PM

Are there any ponds or canals near the bar?

by Anonymousreply 46May 27, 2024 8:29 PM

Is it possible the cameras glitches out for a few seconds? The ones where I work do every so often for a few seconds. A lot can happen in a few seconds.

by Anonymousreply 47May 27, 2024 8:31 PM

Don’t eat the veal!

by Anonymousreply 48May 27, 2024 8:31 PM

He was not gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 49May 27, 2024 8:32 PM

R44 He had lost his mother to cancer just 6 weeks ago, and they were very close. He was primarily going to medical school to please his mother. He and his father did not get along. He had no reason to continue in the same career path. I think his planning his disappearance is the most likely scenario.

by Anonymousreply 50May 27, 2024 8:38 PM

r50 no one's seen him for almost 20 years. You can't just disappear yourself and start over these days. It's practically impossible.

by Anonymousreply 51May 27, 2024 8:39 PM

Does anyone remember a story from years ago that we discussed here on DL. A young man had come home from the service or something …he went to a party in a hotel …called his father to come pick him up. His father goes to hotel, no sign of son. Father talks to hotel staff, security looks for his son…no sign of him. Police were eventually called. They searched around and couldn’t find anything.

Abiotic 2 weeks later people are complaining of a bad smell. They traced it to a utility room with a giant ventilation fan. There were the remains of the son, apparently he walked right into the fan. Hotel employees could not figure out how he found the room or got into it.

There have been a few other cases of men getting stuck in buildings …in a ventilation shaft, or through a hole in a roof….i can find those stories but I can’t find the story of this guy. I think it happened in early 00s, so it’s too old to show up on today’s enshittified search engines.

by Anonymousreply 52May 27, 2024 8:42 PM

[quote] A very handsome man. Too bad he's missing.

I couldn't agree more. It would be a relief had he been fugly.

by Anonymousreply 53May 27, 2024 8:42 PM

I believe in Occams Razor. He left undetected and met with an accident or his friend killed him.

by Anonymousreply 54May 27, 2024 8:42 PM

Was the smell abiotic?

by Anonymousreply 55May 27, 2024 8:44 PM

Did they look in all the local rivers and lakes?

by Anonymousreply 56May 27, 2024 8:54 PM

[quote] There have been a few other cases of men getting stuck in buildings …in a ventilation shaft

Sir! They've gone up the ventilation shaft.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57May 27, 2024 9:04 PM

[quote]Might have been The Rapture.

He was the only human being raptured?

by Anonymousreply 58May 27, 2024 9:08 PM

[quote]Did they look in all the local rivers and lakes?

And the cabins!!!!

by Anonymousreply 59May 27, 2024 9:11 PM

[quote] He was the only human being raptured?

It was a test.

by Anonymousreply 60May 27, 2024 9:13 PM

[quote] Naya4Ever

He’s in brackish water on Foreign Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 61May 27, 2024 9:15 PM

That weren't fried chicken you ate that night at the Tuna Saloona!

by Anonymousreply 62May 27, 2024 9:17 PM

It’s been 18 years, he could look like shit now.

by Anonymousreply 63May 27, 2024 9:32 PM

I'm sure he changed his looks from the fresh faced medical student to someone scruffy and unkept and living in a different country.

by Anonymousreply 64May 27, 2024 9:43 PM

Did the girlfriend take that trip to Miami anyway?

by Anonymousreply 65May 27, 2024 9:44 PM

The man is an adult. He has a right to move away and start from scratch.

by Anonymousreply 66May 27, 2024 9:48 PM

R65 I watched an in-depth YouTube video discussion about this a few months ago. The girlfriend did not go on the trip. Apparently he had told her shortly after his mother died that he's no good for her and she should go on without him. She took it as depression over his mother at the time.

by Anonymousreply 67May 27, 2024 9:49 PM

Different cases, but I recently found out that there was an early theory Mara Murray and Brianna Maitland were connected. Very similar circumstances of going missing, and not terribly far apart.

Brian Shaffer's sketchy friend killed him. Clint Florence, the friend, refused to take a polygraph or cooperate with cops.

by Anonymousreply 68May 27, 2024 10:01 PM

Which is the smart thing to do when you're a murder suspect. Lawyer up and never take a polygraph. Polygraphs are only good for police intimidation.

by Anonymousreply 69May 27, 2024 10:02 PM

He didn't vanish into thin air. He just picked the red pill.

by Anonymousreply 70May 27, 2024 10:03 PM

Every person entering the bar was also seen leaving on the camera.

by Anonymousreply 71May 27, 2024 10:52 PM

^ That would be so embarrassing for me. I blame beer goggles!

by Anonymousreply 72May 28, 2024 12:55 AM

R71 That actually turned out to be wrong.

by Anonymousreply 73May 28, 2024 1:25 AM

r73 that's what's always been said. Shaffer was the only person unaccounted for on the cameras.

by Anonymousreply 74May 28, 2024 1:27 AM

The band and some of the customers left through another exit, but the surveillance video for that is unclear.

by Anonymousreply 75May 28, 2024 1:32 AM

so that's it. he joined a mysterious band of troubadours, a lost band doomed to travel the country and sing.

by Anonymousreply 76May 28, 2024 1:37 AM

R75, Did they check inside every guitar case?

by Anonymousreply 77May 28, 2024 2:53 AM

[quote] Maybe he did drugs with someone, accidentally overdosed and they covered it up by disposing of him.

I'm going with r22's theory. It has happened before.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78June 25, 2024 6:11 PM

He was depressed about dating a girl from Toledo. He couldn’t live with the shame, and killed himself.

by Anonymousreply 79June 25, 2024 6:30 PM

Very strange case.

by Anonymousreply 80June 25, 2024 8:49 PM

What really happened...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81June 26, 2024 1:10 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!