Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Family kicked off flight after pilot refuses to accommodate peanut allergy

I'm with the airline on this one. If you are so fucking allergic, stay home. Also, that's a very old looking 12 yo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154May 28, 2024 7:25 PM

Team Pilot.

by Anonymousreply 1May 27, 2024 9:23 AM

The parents should be bitched slapped for spawning defective children.

by Anonymousreply 2May 27, 2024 9:31 AM

Why do so many young people have peanut allergies--or do we just hear about it more often? When I was a kid in the 70s, I never heard about this.

by Anonymousreply 3May 27, 2024 9:34 AM

Nor I growing up in the '60s.

by Anonymousreply 4May 27, 2024 9:36 AM

Their flying would have created 1) extreme risk for the girl 2) very high liability risk for the airline.

Throw them off.

I don't know the correct solution for the girl. Will she / can she survive with medicine if there is a contamination? If not, she may be limited to travel by private car.

by Anonymousreply 5May 27, 2024 9:37 AM

There's a treatment to reduce the severity of reaction called Palforzia. It's probably expensive. One reason we may not have seen so many peanut allergies years ago is that the recommendation to remove the allergens from the diet is fairly recent (and wrong). Turns out early exposure often helps prevent the allergy from developing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 27, 2024 10:04 AM

12 going on 35. This gives me the creeps too.

by Anonymousreply 7May 27, 2024 10:05 AM

It said they flew with easyJet the next day who were able to accommodate them just fine. Seems like the pilot was scared of a midair incident.

To be honest, I don't see why they can't just make planes nut free. It eliminates the risk for those who have life threatening allergies and I'm sure everyone else can live without a packet of peanuts or a Snickers bar for a few hours.

by Anonymousreply 8May 27, 2024 10:10 AM

stop the world!

by Anonymousreply 9May 27, 2024 10:20 AM

It's fine and easy for the airlines not to SERVE nuts. I believe the issue is gaining common agreement among all passengers that they may not consume their own nuts (so to speak). It's very difficult to get people all on board for any restriction, and also some passengers will be cunts or stupid.

by Anonymousreply 10May 27, 2024 10:24 AM

I was on a plane where passengers in a certain area were asked not to eat nuts, Didn’t seem like a big deal.

by Anonymousreply 11May 27, 2024 10:30 AM

I'm sorry, if you have an allergy eating commonly served foods and could possibly die if you do, DON'T EAT FOOD SERVED ON A FLIGHT.

YOU'RE NOT GOING TO DIE IF YOU DON'T EAT FOR A FEW HOURS.

by Anonymousreply 12May 27, 2024 10:31 AM

Just being in the vicinity of certain types of nut can trigger allergies in some people, but this is relatively rare.

by Anonymousreply 13May 27, 2024 10:49 AM

Is it specifically peanuts or foods processed in factors in which peanuts are used? And what if she had a reaction?

I suspect the family wasn't so wonderful or victimized while innocent.

by Anonymousreply 14May 27, 2024 11:01 AM

1. Psycho mommies aren’t feeding their kids certain foods when they’re young so no immunity

2. GMO is causing proteins to be higher and more reactive

by Anonymousreply 15May 27, 2024 11:03 AM

Creepy family

by Anonymousreply 16May 27, 2024 11:04 AM

Nuts to her.

by Anonymousreply 17May 27, 2024 11:10 AM

I agree the whole serving nuts nuts just makes no sense. In my day we were not nuts and as a teenager I was treated like an adult on airlines even as a solo flying 17 yo.

The days of free cig packs that you could smoke on the plane, free booze even for a teenager and big comfy seats and air travel and life in general was not so bad.

by Anonymousreply 18May 27, 2024 11:21 AM

Leaving Rome to Boston yesterday, a teen locked herself into a restroom and they delayed the flight on the tarmac because she couldn’t stop vomiting after the mom got her out.

Who the fuck boards a seven hour flight if they are that sick? Or know that they have that level of anxiety while flying?? (We found out later it was anxiety)

This is a Kardashain, “generation me” problem, expecting hundreds of people to kowtow to your needs.

by Anonymousreply 19May 27, 2024 11:24 AM

R19 also the airlines have become Nazis about flight changes so these people push through with their plans to avoid hassle and end up causing hassles for everyone else

by Anonymousreply 20May 27, 2024 11:30 AM

Are you kidding? The airlines can’t even get everyone to wear masks, turn off their phones or stop leaving bullets in their luggage! Now they will ban peanut snacks.

by Anonymousreply 21May 27, 2024 11:32 AM

r8 not trying to be argumentative, but this just plays into the entire "me, me, only me" mentality. If one person has an issue, why should EVERYONE else have to pander to it? If you're boarding a flight, you accept the risk that someone may have a food item containing nuts, plan ahead (if there is some way to do so).

by Anonymousreply 22May 27, 2024 11:35 AM

[quote] Why do so many young people have peanut allergies

R3 Because pregnant mothers were told by doctors that staying clear of allergens would lead to fewer allergies in babies. The opposite was the case - woopsie!

by Anonymousreply 23May 27, 2024 11:38 AM

R6, yep, early introduction is basically inoculation.

by Anonymousreply 24May 27, 2024 11:40 AM

Throw the whole "kid" out. Worthless.

by Anonymousreply 25May 27, 2024 11:48 AM

It’s reasonable for the plane not to knowingly Serve nuts; but is the pilot really going to tell everyone who purchased their own food for a four hour flight not to eat it on the off chance it contains an allergen?

Meals passengers purchased at the airport may contain nut-based products (spreads, bagels with seeds, etc). The article mentions one kid who died in flight because she ate a baguette that they didn’t realize contained sesame seeds.

Parents of hyper sensitive children need to be armed with epi pen if they are going to fly.

by Anonymousreply 26May 27, 2024 11:56 AM

Stop making your problem my problem.

by Anonymousreply 27May 27, 2024 12:02 PM

The pilot had every right to throw them off. They created a disturbance.

Airline crews are accommodating for a whole host of needs.

Airlines cannot dictate what passengers bring on board for snacks.

Knowing their daughter has this allergy, the parents should have made arrangements well before they got to the airport.

by Anonymousreply 28May 27, 2024 12:07 PM

Forgot to add...

The mother looks like Meghan Markle. Can you imagine if Princess Lilibet (Who the hell gives a child a nickname for a proper name?) has peanut allergies?

Meghan and her husband will accuse Camilla of sending bags of peanuts to her for birthday presents!

by Anonymousreply 29May 27, 2024 12:22 PM

[quote] Meals passengers purchased at the airport may contain nut-based products (spreads, bagels with seeds, etc). The article mentions one kid who died in flight because she ate a baguette that they didn’t realize contained sesame seeds.

If my kid were that sensitive to ingredients I would make and pack all their food myself.

by Anonymousreply 30May 27, 2024 12:22 PM

If your allergy is so severe that you don't even need to touch or eat the allergen in order to be severely affected, public transportation is not for you. There's simply no way to keep potential allergens out of everybody else's hands. It's not possible.

by Anonymousreply 31May 27, 2024 12:32 PM

If the allergy is caused by ingestion or inhalation, don't eat or wear an industrial grade mask. If it is a contact allergy, wear a biohazard suit. Your kid's problem is your problem.

by Anonymousreply 32May 27, 2024 12:35 PM

If the allergy was known and the parents didn’t have her meds with them then they’re to blame. The child shouldn’t leave the house w/o an Epi-Pen and injectable Benadryl and by the age of 12, should know how to use both.

by Anonymousreply 33May 27, 2024 12:36 PM

R13- About 5 years ago there was a family in Queens. The mother was cooking a dish in the kitchen with peanuts 🥜 and the aroma/fumes from the peanuts wafted into the boy’s bedroom and killed him- I never knew anyone could be that sensitive to just the peanut aroma that it kills them.

by Anonymousreply 34May 27, 2024 12:42 PM

Sorry you have a defective kid. Excuse me, stewardess, can I have another G&T?

by Anonymousreply 35May 27, 2024 12:42 PM

Team Peanut here. She will not get an allergic reaction if people on the plane eat peanuts, anymore than I will get an allergic reaction from other people in a restaurant eating shellfish.

by Anonymousreply 36May 27, 2024 12:43 PM

Have her take a seat in the toilet and remain there for the duration of the flight.

by Anonymousreply 37May 27, 2024 12:51 PM

The little hussy is clearly not allergic to makeup!

by Anonymousreply 38May 27, 2024 12:58 PM

The reason there are so many peanut allergies remains unknown, despite the experts here.

I had a friend who was allergic to peanuts - it was pretty rare, back then (he was an adult already when I met him). It was a severe allergy.

One theory is farming methods, or soil toxins.

When I was a kid there were peanut vendors in public parks, bags of peanuts sold at ball games, in bowls on bars, everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 39May 27, 2024 1:06 PM

R36 Wrong.

by Anonymousreply 40May 27, 2024 1:06 PM

I'm always amazed at the ignorance and intolerance of people just because they haven't personally experienced allergies. Are you stupid?

by Anonymousreply 41May 27, 2024 1:09 PM

My next door neighbor's kid really is severely allergic to nuts. I witnessed him mistakenly eat a cookie with nuts, and his entire face, lips, etc. swelled to a freakish degree. It was alarming/fascinating, because I thought his mom always exaggerated it. It was very scary.

Meanwhile, now I want a Reese's peanut butter cup. Damn.

by Anonymousreply 42May 27, 2024 1:11 PM

R40, see #3

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43May 27, 2024 1:19 PM

There are reasons some people can't fly because of health issues. But they don't insist on making it other people's problem. They need to drive or take a boat. Do people insist on this on trains or buses? I haven't heard of one instance.

by Anonymousreply 44May 27, 2024 1:23 PM

It's not the nuts it's the expectation that the world needs to cater to their allergies. If you are so allergic a molecule in your vicinity is going to kill you, stay home or wear a hazmat suit.

A story: man with service dog is in a waiting area. Woman sits down nearby and asks man to remove dog as she's allergic.he refuses as it's a service dog, she continues sitting. Is she really that allergic then or is she just using allergies to get everyone to do her bidding and cater to her?

by Anonymousreply 45May 27, 2024 1:24 PM

R29, you are really invested in that topic. It doesn't belong here.

by Anonymousreply 46May 27, 2024 1:27 PM

I thought the same about the mother, BonniePrinceCharlie r29 - the mother is very Markle-like.

by Anonymousreply 47May 27, 2024 1:29 PM

I’m vegan and try to eat healthy - nuts are some of the main snacks I take on flights.

And now I’m supposed to not bring a bag of nuts or a sandwich with peanut butter onto the plane so a 12 year old stranger isn’t potentially exposed? wtf?.

Show me medical documentation that a vegan homo in his 40s eating almonds 3 rows ahead of her would result in some sort of catastrophic event.

by Anonymousreply 48May 27, 2024 1:30 PM

I think this is an attention seeking stunt with the hopes of a payout or free flight. The parents need to worry about their 12 going on 30 daughter getting knocked up by 14, not having an allergic reaction.

by Anonymousreply 49May 27, 2024 1:34 PM

R43 Argue with R34.

by Anonymousreply 50May 27, 2024 1:35 PM

I don't understand the extreme entitlement here. Don't people THIS allergic carry an epi pen?

by Anonymousreply 51May 27, 2024 1:43 PM

Sometimes you feel like a nut.

by Anonymousreply 52May 27, 2024 1:48 PM

Funnily enough, I predict that girl will have a lot of nuts in her mouth in the future.

by Anonymousreply 53May 27, 2024 1:49 PM

I have a nut allergy. But it is bizarre to request no one around you consume nuts. Just don't eat anything with nuts in it yourself and keep your Epipen handy.

by Anonymousreply 54May 27, 2024 1:51 PM

Parents of kids with allergies this severe who are still alive at 12 always carry epi pens. They aren’t always enough. Which is why people that allergic don’t belong on planes. If they are so allergic that someone eating nuts a few seats away is an issue, then sitting in a seat that a toddler smeared peanut butter on yesterday is definitely going to kill them.

by Anonymousreply 55May 27, 2024 1:52 PM

She's 12?

by Anonymousreply 56May 27, 2024 1:52 PM

She obviously needs to live in a bubble. Or a full-body condom.

by Anonymousreply 57May 27, 2024 1:57 PM

Do they still allow people to take dogs or cats with them, in those little carry-ons? What about those allergies?

by Anonymousreply 58May 27, 2024 1:58 PM

This article was paywalled for me btw.

by Anonymousreply 59May 27, 2024 1:59 PM

I wasn't aware that the epi pen isn't necessarily enough to prevent death. Thanks r55.

by Anonymousreply 60May 27, 2024 2:01 PM

R34

That mother's an asshole. If one of your children has a peanut allergy, DON'T EVEN bring a fucking peanut in the house.

It's continually astonishing how stupid people are.

by Anonymousreply 61May 27, 2024 2:01 PM

[Quote]This article was paywalled for me btw.

Oh, nuts!

by Anonymousreply 62May 27, 2024 2:02 PM

You’re teyijf way too hard r29

by Anonymousreply 63May 27, 2024 2:02 PM

R62 Nuts to you.

by Anonymousreply 64May 27, 2024 2:05 PM

R61 We don't know the mother was aware the kid had an allergy.

by Anonymousreply 65May 27, 2024 2:06 PM

BITPB

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66May 27, 2024 2:07 PM

[Quote]teyijf

Are you okay, r63? Are you having an allergic reaction??

by Anonymousreply 67May 27, 2024 2:07 PM

So this means I can't bust a nut in the lavatory?

by Anonymousreply 68May 27, 2024 2:07 PM

Well, you know most flights that I've taken in the past few years I get some kind of cookies, or pretzels. They don't even serve nuts. Now maybe some passengers bring nuts for a snack, but the airlines don't serve them. I think airlines in general are sensitive to anything that could mess up a flight or put the airline at risk of a law suit.

by Anonymousreply 69May 27, 2024 2:10 PM

I remember when airlines served full, delicious meals. Now you get a small, packaged snack and a can of soda.

by Anonymousreply 70May 27, 2024 2:12 PM

"Delicious" is a stretch.

by Anonymousreply 71May 27, 2024 2:17 PM

Do 12 yos get cheaper flights because I think they lied about that girls age.

by Anonymousreply 72May 27, 2024 2:22 PM

She looks nothing like Meghan Markle? You guys are obsessed.

by Anonymousreply 73May 27, 2024 2:24 PM

R71 When I was a kid in the '60s I had several delicious meals - including a great breakfast - on planes from the east coast to the west coast and back.

“Meal service was once a point of pride,” said Henry Harteveldt, who covers the travel industry for Atmosphere Research Group. Now, “the quality is so poor you have to wonder: Do airline executives actually have taste buds?”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74May 27, 2024 2:27 PM

r72 Wow so original

by Anonymousreply 75May 27, 2024 2:28 PM

I even had a pretty decent breakfast once on an AA flight from Boston to San Francisco in 2002.

by Anonymousreply 76May 27, 2024 2:31 PM

How does this girl navigate daily life if she's that fragile? Do the parents demand that her school be nut free? No one can have a PB&J? What about stores and restaurants? How did she even make it through the dangerous concourse stock full of peanuts to even get on the plane?

by Anonymousreply 77May 27, 2024 2:42 PM

R77 I guess you don't know schools ban peanuts or tree nuts when there are allergic kids enrolled in the school.

by Anonymousreply 78May 27, 2024 2:45 PM

As, R78, do allergists' offices. There are signs on the walls not to eat anything (not just peanuts), wear scent, or even bring the staff food or candy as a gift.

I take that to mean you don 't have to eat something to be allergic to it when in proximity.

by Anonymousreply 79May 27, 2024 3:00 PM

[quote] GMO is causing proteins to be higher and more reactive

I don’t know why peanut allergies are so common now but it’s not, as R16 suggests, because peanuts are genetically modified. While there maybe be GMO peanuts being created in labs, no genetically modified peanut is being grown anywhere in the world for food production.

While I agree it’s not legal currently to ban people from bringing nuts on the plane, it’s absolutely possible. Lots of things are not allowed in planes which are ostensibly less dangerous and more common in our normal daily environment, like bottles of shampoo or mouthwash large enough for more than a single use.

The main problem here is that the parents apparently thought they could just show up and ask for this accommodation. You’d think they’d on ahead a bit better.

They obviously let this girl run wild because they allow her to walk around like a painted harlot before shes even in her teens.

by Anonymousreply 80May 27, 2024 3:04 PM

r80 A few inaccuracies in your post, but I don't feel like listing/correcting them.

by Anonymousreply 81May 27, 2024 3:07 PM

Remember the crazy ass mom who wanted the large oak tree removed from the schoolyard because her precious spawn had a nut allergy? We had a thread here. Another mom who wanted an entire stadium nut free for her little darling?

by Anonymousreply 82May 27, 2024 3:07 PM

r82 I don't.

by Anonymousreply 83May 27, 2024 3:08 PM

R79, an allergist’s office is not an airplane or a public space. That is a select clientele. Are you suggesting no candy or wearing deodorant on planes to protect the hypersensitive?

by Anonymousreply 84May 27, 2024 3:21 PM

You'd think the "12 year old" would have succumbed years before because she and her parents obviously are all

NUTS.

by Anonymousreply 85May 27, 2024 3:25 PM

Some kids need to be packed into a plastic bubble and fly steerage.

by Anonymousreply 86May 27, 2024 3:38 PM

R80 Thank you, Helen Jorgenson.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87May 27, 2024 4:05 PM

They were going to Turkey. I am sure it is very allery safe and accommodating.

by Anonymousreply 88May 27, 2024 4:27 PM

People who have allergies should never go anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 89May 27, 2024 4:31 PM

The unfortunate truth is t hat people with allergies, serious allergies, have limits. There are things they can't do..

by Anonymousreply 90May 27, 2024 5:04 PM

Fuck off with your all caps, extreme drama queen at r12.

Holy shit you're annoying as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 91May 27, 2024 5:34 PM

I never heard of SunExpress before, but now I’m interesting in flying them if they boot people like this.

by Anonymousreply 92May 27, 2024 5:42 PM

I never heard of peanut allergies when I was growing up in the 80s. None of the hudreds of kids I went to school with had one. When my nephew was in school in the 00s and 10s there were all kinds of food allergies among his classmates.

by Anonymousreply 93May 27, 2024 5:48 PM

There is a solution.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94May 27, 2024 5:52 PM

The bigger question is why do they let their 12 year old daughter dress like a whore?

by Anonymousreply 95May 27, 2024 6:00 PM

R91 who cares. The horrors of all caps. Don’t yell at me.

by Anonymousreply 96May 27, 2024 6:02 PM

All caps [italic]is[/italic] considered "yelling," brainiac.

by Anonymousreply 97May 27, 2024 6:05 PM

The mother's head looks totally photo-shopped.

by Anonymousreply 98May 27, 2024 6:17 PM

Couldn't they have put the kids in cargo?

by Anonymousreply 99May 27, 2024 6:21 PM

Even if the pilot told the other passengers to not eat peanuts, that doesn't mean they'd all listen to him. People are assholes. And there is nothing the pilot could do if they did eat peanuts. All the evidence would be gone!

I feel sorry for this family but you just can't rely on other people to care about your kids. I mean, republiqans care more about guns than they do about kids. Even their own kids.

by Anonymousreply 100May 27, 2024 6:30 PM

That is a good question R95.

by Anonymousreply 101May 27, 2024 6:48 PM

It's YOUR problem, not everyone else's problem, where a masked stupid arrogant cunts. Why do people feel they have the right to dictate other people's lives? Almost no one has a peanut allergy, you are the problem and it's a bit much to ask strangers to adapt to your very rare problem, I hope the bitch dies.

by Anonymousreply 102May 27, 2024 7:37 PM

Some of the replies on here are wildly uninformed.

I worked for a guy whose daughter had a peanut allergy. If someone ate peanuts anywhere in her vicinity, she could go into shock.

by Anonymousreply 103May 27, 2024 7:41 PM

R41 I actually have a lot of allergies, but I won't get a reaction of someone next to me is eating a peanut.

by Anonymousreply 104May 27, 2024 7:42 PM

That's uncalled for, R102.

by Anonymousreply 105May 27, 2024 7:43 PM

Apologies if this has been answered before:

Wouldn't a reaction so severe that it might cause death upon casual contact be considered a serious medical condition and not just Parent Protection Program issue? Wouldn't there be some form of documentation the child and/or parents could carry?

Also, if your child is that fragile, wouldn't you notify the airline in advance?

by Anonymousreply 106May 27, 2024 7:46 PM

I'm allergic to pineapples. Nobody better be drinking a Pina Colada when I enter my bar.

by Anonymousreply 107May 27, 2024 7:53 PM

[quote]Also, if your child is that fragile, wouldn't you notify the airline in advance?

The father says he tried, but there wasn't any way to do so on the website. The gate agent said to notify the crew once onboard. As far as I can tell, the only thing they did wrong was to raise a ruckus after the captain said they wouldn't make a general announcement.

by Anonymousreply 108May 27, 2024 8:10 PM

I'm allergic to people who inconvenience complete strangers with their biological weaknesses.

by Anonymousreply 109May 27, 2024 8:12 PM

[quote]I worked for a guy whose daughter had a peanut allergy. If someone ate peanuts anywhere in her vicinity, she could go into shock.

Then the airline was perfectly correct in throwing them off. The family can't have it both ways.

by Anonymousreply 110May 27, 2024 8:17 PM

What I hate is that the family doesn't realize that it can't do everything that a regular family can do due to her allergies.

Take an almost 4 hour flight to Turkey for a holiday? Yep - we're gonna do it. We're gonna take the risk and just tell everyone on the plane not to eat nuts. Nevermind the people on the PRIOR flight who could have eaten nuts and there was residue left behind.

No - we DESERVE a sun-soaked holiday vacation to Turkey.

Telling people to not consumer nuts during the flight does not remove all the danger. Hell, they still serve warm nuts in first class on many flights - you going to tell people they can't eat those?

by Anonymousreply 111May 27, 2024 8:26 PM

If your kid is so allergic it could die it should probably stay home and be homeschooled. You can't presume or expect every place you go to be allergen free and food is always problematic with unknown contagions.

Pregnant women need to start eating how our great grandmas ate when they were pregnant and ignore this "don't eat peanut butter" shit and feed toddlers little bits of everything.

by Anonymousreply 112May 27, 2024 8:27 PM

Agree with R49. Seeking money and attention. Have the kid wear an industrial strength mask and gloves and keep them on the entire flight . No food or drink for you!!!!!!

I’m done with this bs

by Anonymousreply 113May 27, 2024 8:43 PM

Nuts, indeed.

by Anonymousreply 114May 27, 2024 10:10 PM

Well, too late to flush.

by Anonymousreply 115May 27, 2024 10:33 PM

R114 already been done - how embarrassing for you

by Anonymousreply 116May 27, 2024 10:40 PM

But we basically have to allow Jack 2000 to have an extra seat for his Cher doll.

by Anonymousreply 117May 27, 2024 11:05 PM

on a plane recently that was delayed. Asked stewardess what was the delay. Someone had a nut allergy so they were taking all the food off the plane. it took ages and we almost missed our next flight. Surely u stress beforehand that there's to be no nuts. Who expects a plane full of people to bow down to their situation. And don't they make sure they have their eppie pen, in case of nut contact? What happens them on the tube, or a bus or a cinema..it must be like Russian roulette.

by Anonymousreply 118May 27, 2024 11:27 PM

if you have an allergy that might take you out if you are in the presence of it, perhaps it's time to get in the bubble (boy).

by Anonymousreply 119May 27, 2024 11:32 PM

From the link someone posted above:

[quote]Myth #3: Just being in the same room as peanuts is life threatening for my child.

[quote]Fact: Touching, smelling, or inhaling particles from peanuts rarely causes a severe reaction. It almost always requires ingestion to cause serious allergic complications. Since reactions are unpredictable, every allergic individual should maintain a food allergy action plan to help keep them safe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120May 27, 2024 11:32 PM

Unless the peanut allergy kid is in direct contact with the evil nut, either eating it, snorting it up their nose, or rubbing it all over their body, it will not be a problem.

by Anonymousreply 121May 27, 2024 11:35 PM

Where the fuck did peanut allergies come from? Nobody ever heard of this until about 15 or 20 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 122May 28, 2024 12:04 AM

I would've pelted them with peanuts as they left!

by Anonymousreply 123May 28, 2024 12:16 AM

“Don’t make me do it again!”

by Anonymousreply 124May 28, 2024 12:20 AM

Not true, r122. I remember hearing about them when i was in high school...and that was the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 125May 28, 2024 12:22 AM

I'm thinking she wouldn't be much comfort at a time like this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126May 28, 2024 12:28 AM

[quote]R122: Where the fuck did peanut allergies come from? Nobody ever heard of this until about 15 or 20 years ago.

I heard of it in the early 1970s, but it wasn't common. From a historic standpoint, it has apparently occurred wherever there's been peanuts.

What happened twenty or so years ago was that pediatricians and dietary experts started advocating a waiting period of a few years before infants and toddlers were exposed to peanuts, thinking that lack of exposure would keep them from developing the allergy. Instead, this had the opposite effect, making the peanut allergy much more common. So there was an explosion in the instances of peanut allergies.

All things being equal, though, there will always be a certain 𝑣𝑒𝑟𝑦 𝑠𝑚𝑎𝑙𝑙 percentage of kids that are allergic to peanuts. But it's something that should be discovered about kids early, and infants/toddlers generally should not be shielded from all exposure to peanuts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127May 28, 2024 12:28 AM

Despite its name, a peanut is not a nut; rather, it is a legume.

by Anonymousreply 128May 28, 2024 12:31 AM

For 20 to 25% of children who exhibit the peanut allergy, 𝐢𝐭 𝐜𝐚𝐧 𝐛𝐞 𝐨𝐮𝐭𝐠𝐫𝐨𝐰𝐧.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129May 28, 2024 12:33 AM

Talk among yourselves!

Here's a topic: A peanut is neither a pea nor a nut. Discuss!

by Anonymousreply 130May 28, 2024 12:41 AM

you are supposed to feed babies spoonfuls of peanut butter so they won't become allergic. When I was a kid in the 50s every kid ate peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Peanuts are legumes and are in the same family as beans, lentils, and peas.

by Anonymousreply 131May 28, 2024 12:51 AM

[quote] you are supposed to feed babies spoonfuls of peanut butter so they won't become allergic.

According to what? [italic]Baby and Child Care[/italic] by Dr. Josef Mengele?

by Anonymousreply 132May 28, 2024 12:55 AM

[quote]R132: According to what? Baby and Child Care by Dr. Josef Mengele?

It happens to be the current medical consensus on how to prevent the development of the peanut allergy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133May 28, 2024 1:19 AM

The more things kids are exposed to as children the less likely they will become allergic. I ate dirt all the time and ended up with a very strong immune system. My mom tried to get me sick with all the childhood diseases but to my great disappointment, I never got any of them and couldn't spend two weeks at home and not in school. I have barely ever gotten sick in my life and even to this day. I am 74. And only cataract surgery.

by Anonymousreply 134May 28, 2024 1:26 AM

I understand that infants who are exposed to pets from birth rarely develop allergic reactions to most animals.

by Anonymousreply 135May 28, 2024 1:30 AM

[quote]I ate dirt all the time

Someone who took Blanche's insult literally,.

by Anonymousreply 136May 28, 2024 1:39 AM

Thank God dogs don't have peanut allergies.

by Anonymousreply 137May 28, 2024 1:40 AM

Wasn't there a Cosby routine like that, talking about his father? "The man ate dirt, and was thankful to get it!"

by Anonymousreply 138May 28, 2024 1:46 AM

I'm allergic to semen, so don't come on my face.

by Anonymousreply 139May 28, 2024 3:03 AM

fun fact

the mother is a BBC weather presenter

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140May 28, 2024 3:04 AM

Good Lord, the entitlement of the family in the article at r140!

[quote] we maybe fly once a year and have never had problems with other airlines

So why didn't you fly one of THOSE airlines???

by Anonymousreply 141May 28, 2024 3:12 AM

Excuse me, but why are they endangering the life of their child?

by Anonymousreply 142May 28, 2024 3:23 AM

R105 you are one on the fucking Mommy straight CUNTS I'm talking about, go suck a horse, this is not Mommy Fucking Central.

And we all know they will sue someone, probably fake allergy.

by Anonymousreply 143May 28, 2024 4:31 AM

Worked for a sales group years ago & one of the other guys, son had a peanut allergy. My 1st day, he pulls me aside & asked if I could refrain from bringing peanuts or anything containing nuts into the office as he could become "contaminated" & take something home that could kill his son. He said even shaking someone's hand after they ate a peanut could be enough to kill his son...... He was a little crazy & left soon after I started. It's been 15 years & his son is married & doing well. I thought he'd be dead.......

by Anonymousreply 144May 28, 2024 5:38 AM

Oiy! Peanuts. Bloody French bitch.

by Anonymousreply 145May 28, 2024 6:58 AM

[quote] The father says he tried, but there wasn't any way to do so on the website

There rarely is, which is why he should have phoned them.

by Anonymousreply 146May 28, 2024 8:21 AM

And now, a musical moment with Dean Martin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147May 28, 2024 9:23 AM

As as soon as kids can start solid food they should be given a wide variety including peanut butter.

by Anonymousreply 148May 28, 2024 1:37 PM

Low doses of Arsenic also help develop a good immune system.

by Anonymousreply 149May 28, 2024 1:38 PM

When I was a kid if you forgot your lunch the school gave you free pb&js.

by Anonymousreply 150May 28, 2024 1:39 PM

If that chick is 12, then I’m 136

by Anonymousreply 151May 28, 2024 2:14 PM

r149=Mrs. Patsy Ramsey

by Anonymousreply 152May 28, 2024 3:28 PM

When I was a President if you forgot your cunt the intern gave you free bjs.

by Anonymousreply 153May 28, 2024 4:16 PM

The proper way to accommodate their worries (and get to be a total cunt in the process) would be to say, "We'll be happy to make an announcement. Unfortunately, there's no guarantee that people weren't eating peanuts on the previous flight and due to the SEVERITY of your daughter's allergy, we're not comfortable taking chances with her health. Let's go back to the gate where we can refund your tickets and help you find accommodations on another carrier."

by Anonymousreply 154May 28, 2024 7:25 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!