Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The New Musical Death Becomes Her Is Gonna Be A Big GAY Broadway Hit This Fall

Previews begin in late October at the Lunt-Fontaine for the big splashy musical Death Becomes Her, starring a zoftig Megan Hilty as Madeline Ashton and Jennifer Simard (killing it) as Helen Sharp. Dr. Menville is played by the slightly doughy Christopher Seiber, and - at least for the previews in Chicago - a beautiful but soulless Michelle Williams (Destiny's Child) in the Rossalini role. Don't bet on her making the transfer. I don't think she'll be able to stay awake long enough...

The opening number is the gayest thing ever seen on stage since Peter Allen shook his paired maracas like a reach-around at The Mineshaft. I howled.

The second acts drags a bit, but I'm sure they'll fix it. Megan will lose a little weight and Michelle will be put down.

It's all camp and the best literal gay pandering since Judy died. Go see it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 14, 2024 2:25 AM

I can't with musical theatre but I'd make an exception for this one, that movie is perfection.

by Anonymousreply 1May 27, 2024 4:46 AM

I cahn’t. I just cahn’t.

by Anonymousreply 2May 27, 2024 4:47 AM

[quote] The New Musical, Death Becomes Her, Is Going To Be A Big, GAY Broadway Hit This Fall

by Anonymousreply 3May 27, 2024 4:49 AM

She’s a woman Ernest. A woman. From Newark for God’s sake.

by Anonymousreply 4May 27, 2024 6:18 AM

Everything I do is for…the GAZE!

by Anonymousreply 5May 27, 2024 6:21 AM

No thanks.

When did Broadway become this Disney on Ice thing where it’s all adaptations of popular movies?

by Anonymousreply 6May 27, 2024 6:27 AM

R6 Ummm, decades ago.

by Anonymousreply 7May 27, 2024 6:48 AM

[quote] starring a zoftig Megan Hilty

As every caftan-wearing DLer should know, it’s “zaftig”.

by Anonymousreply 8May 27, 2024 7:38 AM

I think the material for “Death Becomes Her” lends itself to a musical more than most movies.

It’s certainly a more natural fit than “9 to 5”, although that one has grown on me.

by Anonymousreply 9May 27, 2024 7:38 AM

This musical blew me away. It is the funniest thing I've seen since The Drowsy Chaperone and it is gorgeous. It's funnier than the movie. I was wondering how the special effects from the movie would translate to the stage and found that they did a marvelous thing with them pushing them too far. I hope it's a hit.

by Anonymousreply 10June 13, 2024 10:54 PM

I meant "without" pushing them too far.

by Anonymousreply 11June 13, 2024 10:54 PM

[quote](The best, and most representative, line of the night might be when Helen, responding to Madeline’s desire to touch her stomach gap, says with appropriate nonchalance, “Stop fingering my hole.”)

OK, what night is DL going to buy a block of tickets?

by Anonymousreply 12June 13, 2024 11:01 PM

The Michelle Williams clips I've seen are quite good. Looks like a lot of fun.

by Anonymousreply 13June 13, 2024 11:03 PM

Michelle is very good in it. Her musical numbers are visually SPECTACULAR, and one of them is the opening number which, by the way, is one the most startling openings ever. The theater was roaring with laughter.

by Anonymousreply 14June 14, 2024 12:14 AM

[quote]“Stop fingering my hole.”

Actually, it was "Stop fingering my hole, you pervert..."

Michelle Williams was lifeless, but beautiful. She was the weakest thing in it, which is amazing when you consider who played Earnest.

by Anonymousreply 15June 14, 2024 2:03 AM

Get this cast a group Ozempic discount.

A show about obsession with physical perfection doesn't work with fatties.

by Anonymousreply 16June 14, 2024 2:20 AM

Ernest is supposed to be lifeless. Sort of.

by Anonymousreply 17June 14, 2024 2:20 AM

R7 Well it’s boring to me and probably why I don’t pay attention.

Making musicals out of 90s movies and cartoons just seem common to me.

by Anonymousreply 18June 14, 2024 2:25 AM

The music will probably be awful too.

by Anonymousreply 19June 14, 2024 2:25 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!