Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Catastrophise

I know it's a problem and I try to talk myself off the ledge, but I catastrophise things. I know it's learned behaviour from my parents who blew to if u added one more problem to their load. But every thing is life or death with me..I'm in a perpetual state of panic. Anyone got and solutions and understanding of this silly illness.

by Anonymousreply 9May 27, 2024 10:27 AM

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy or CBT.

Trust me, it works. But you have to be willing to go to therapy. That’s often the problem with people who catastrophise; they paradoxically believe seeking help will just lead to another set of unknown problems. The anxiety can be paralyzing. But you have to weigh that against the quality of life you want for yourself.

by Anonymousreply 1May 27, 2024 4:07 AM

I have a narcissistic father who catastrophizes problems and potential dangers, no matter how slight, and I learned this emotional reaction to problems and challenges growing up. Lots of fear and anxiety instead of confident exploration skills. Being able to self sooth and feel safe in the face of obstacles was not something I learned from him or my emotionally reactive mom, and it's something I'm working on in my various therapies.

by Anonymousreply 2May 27, 2024 4:15 AM

Oops, I forgot to mention a good therapeutic approach to dealing with this: the Ideal Parent Figure Protocol. At least that's what I'm using to address it and other issues stemming from my childhood conditioning

by Anonymousreply 3May 27, 2024 4:19 AM

Unless missiles are heading your way, relax.

by Anonymousreply 4May 27, 2024 4:20 AM

You could use a worksheet like the one at this link. IMO, it's perfect for your situation. You "talk back" in a rational manner to your catastrophic thoughts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 27, 2024 4:38 AM

Dialectical behaviour therapy is also great, OP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 27, 2024 6:07 AM

Have the same problem,life long,tried and still try everything mentioned and more.just waiting for death.good luck.

by Anonymousreply 7May 27, 2024 8:19 AM

To lighten you’re mood watch episodes of Debby Downer — SNL on YouTube .i am a catastrophizer as well and in helps in addition to therapy and psych meds

by Anonymousreply 8May 27, 2024 8:43 AM

I’m the opposite.

by Anonymousreply 9May 27, 2024 10:27 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!