Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Delusional Claims of Family Prominence

I have observed that some of my acquaintances place significant emphasis on their familial ties to certain cities, often citing their longstanding family presence. For instance, they might say, "We could never leave St. Louis. Our family has been here for 300 years, and everyone knows who we are." However, in reality, their family is scarcely recognized outside of minor mentions in old local library books.

Interestingly, these same friends tend to be highly critical and display a notable level of arrogance, which I suspect stems from insecurity. Despite their assertions of family prominence, I have yet to discern any substantial basis for these claims. This leads me to wonder if their statements are more a manifestation of delusions of grandeur.

Personally, I am related to historically significant individuals, including some of the founding fathers of the United States. Nevertheless, I would never consider moving to Philadelphia to assert my prominence based on my lineage, as such behavior would likely be met with ridicule.

Do you know people like this? What makes them tick?

by Anonymousreply 23May 27, 2024 5:28 PM

These people are on shaky ground now with the anti-white movement gaining full steam. Their days of security are limited.

by Anonymousreply 1May 26, 2024 9:18 PM

Very specific. Tell us which cunty faggola you’re talking about…

by Anonymousreply 2May 26, 2024 9:19 PM

We were practically the last white people in my neighborhood growing up.

by Anonymousreply 3May 26, 2024 9:19 PM

R2 This is more than just one person I know which is why I made the thread. If it was just one person, I would continue to roll my eyes.

But it’s hilarious to me because no one knows who they are and no one knows who their family is. And if they did know, they’re dead.

by Anonymousreply 4May 26, 2024 9:22 PM

R4 you sound upper middle class and white. We shall assume you are new money.

by Anonymousreply 5May 26, 2024 9:25 PM

It's easier to verify the prominence among my Happy Few friends in Geneva and Paris. There will usually be a town or region with their name, and a chateau or two or three, and a lengthy wiki entry. I mean, if you don't already know the name, and you probably do.

First the location.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 26, 2024 9:32 PM

Then the family.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 26, 2024 9:32 PM

R1 whining about the "anti-white" movement sounds like a Republican who spews the replacement theory. Like 90% of billionaires are white. Stop whining, racists

by Anonymousreply 8May 26, 2024 9:36 PM

I worked for an attorney who had delusions of grandeur and would refer to himself as coming from a “prominent Los Angeles” family. His parents were nobodies and he was important only in his own mind.

by Anonymousreply 9May 26, 2024 9:40 PM

R9 that’s what I’m talking about! What do you think made him like that?

by Anonymousreply 10May 26, 2024 9:53 PM

Would this qualify as 'genealogy nazi'?

by Anonymousreply 11May 26, 2024 9:56 PM

The Americans who boast too much and too often of their own family connections are usually Mama's boys from the wrong branch of the Harrisons, the Rutledges, the Van Rensselaers or whoever. Their great, great aunt who took in sewing had a grandmother who married a ne'er do well distant cousin of the fourth generation of an already faded family name.

Or they are women once just wild enough to snag one of the few poor duPonts and keep the name and the old Volvo and a couple hundred thousand after the divorce.

I've known Vanderbilts who lived in very ordinary 2-bedroom condos and who had to watch their money, and direct descendents of very prominent and very rich people who figured prominently in local or national history who had nothing but history books and street names to show for it. Holding onto money and prominence or a name that has currency is a real trick, and usually doesn't involve boasting (for one thing, everyone else will do it for you.)

by Anonymousreply 12May 26, 2024 9:57 PM

Well some of those old families at least might have passed down big cock genetics if not trust funds. One can expect size meat from the Van Rensselaer men. Biddles, Gores and Peabodys, too.

by Anonymousreply 13May 26, 2024 11:01 PM

I have a delusional aunt like this. She claims we are related to one of the founding fathers and British nobility

by Anonymousreply 14May 26, 2024 11:09 PM

[quote] Personally, I am related to historically significant individuals, including some of the founding fathers of the United States.

Every accusation is a confession, the DAR version.

by Anonymousreply 15May 26, 2024 11:12 PM

Serving on boards of a few nonprofits, I have known some very self-interested underachievers who may draw some income through trusts and manage to hang on to some larger old homes, but just barely. I know a few who have (self) published books about their family lineage. These are some of the most tedious types.

Weirdly, still others with more impressive ancestries tend to stay quiet. They seem focused on making others comfortable around them and in “elite” settings. I prefer that type of notable.

by Anonymousreply 16May 26, 2024 11:30 PM

[quote] I have a delusional aunt like this. She claims we are related to one of the founding fathers and British nobility

We have a DLer like this as well. See: OP.

by Anonymousreply 17May 26, 2024 11:34 PM

Not only do I know them, OP, I know them in St. Louis.

Chouteau, Clark, Desloge.

Not 300, years, though. Maybe 250.

by Anonymousreply 18May 27, 2024 12:13 AM

I know enough about genealogy to know it is common to be able to claim being related to someone famous or noteworthy. That is why I do not talk about my own famous relations outside the family.

by Anonymousreply 19May 27, 2024 12:29 AM

[quote]That is why I do not talk about my own famous relations outside the family.

This is very big of you and we certainly do appreciate it.

by Anonymousreply 20May 27, 2024 1:37 AM

R15 my point was I’m related to more prominent people on a national level and I would never bring it up. These people are bringing up how they’re related to only local people 75-100 years ago almost every conversation.

by Anonymousreply 21May 27, 2024 4:21 PM

"my point was I’m related to more prominent people on a national level and I would never bring it up"

Um R21, I think you just did.

by Anonymousreply 22May 27, 2024 5:12 PM

Is OP Anderson Cooper?

by Anonymousreply 23May 27, 2024 5:28 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!