Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Hillary Clinton Has Some Tough Words for Democrats and women

Hillary Clinton had some tough words for her fellow Democrats for their failure to protect abortion rights in the years leading up to Roe v. Wade being overturned by the Supreme Court.

In an interview with The New York Times, Clinton, 76, discussed her forthcoming book, "The Fall of Roe: The Rise of a New America" and what she believed a second Trump administration will look like.

The former Democratic presidential candidate accused her party of being too complacent by underestimating the formidable strength of the pro-life movement in the lead-up to the Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization, when the Supreme Court overturned nearly 50 years of legalized abortion at the federal level.

"We didn’t take it seriously, and we didn’t understand the threat," Clinton said. "Most Democrats, most Americans, did not realize we are in an existential struggle for the future of this country."

Clinton argued that Democrats failed to pass legislation codifying abortion rights into federal law — even when they controlled the Senate — because they could not fathom that abortion rights would ever be at risk.

Clinton said she gave the right credit for never giving up. She lamented that Democrats lacked the organization and funding for institutions like The Federalist Society to counter the right’s influence.

"[The right is] relentless. You know, they take a loss, they get back up, they regroup, they raise more money," Clinton said. "It’s tremendously impressive the way that they operate. And we have nothing like it on our side."

Clinton said she was dismissed as alarmist when she predicted in 2016, that a Trump presidency would lead to abortion rights being overturned. She predicted that many would dismiss her again this election cycle, which she described as "existential."

"I mean, if we don’t make the right decision in this election in our country, we may never have another actual election," Clinton said. "I will put that out there because I believe it. And if we no longer have another actual election, we will be governed by a small minority of right-wing forces that are well organized and well-funded and are getting exactly what they want in terms of turning the clock back on women."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159June 1, 2024 3:20 AM

You heard her, ladies and gentlemen.

Hillary has not been wrong about anything yet, regarding Trump and the right wing.

by Anonymousreply 1May 26, 2024 7:00 AM

The full article.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2May 26, 2024 7:01 AM

[quote]"We didn’t take it seriously, and we didn’t understand the threat," Clinton said. "Most Democrats, most Americans, did not realize we are in an existential struggle for the future of this country."

This will be us next because the MAGA & Evangelicals & other christians have repeatedly announced they are coming for us - just like they did with abortion. Too many gays are being complacent and saying oh they can't do anything - our rights are solid and gay marriage is codified so don't worry about it.

100% untrue and we're going to find out the hard way and then look surprised.

by Anonymousreply 3May 26, 2024 7:11 AM

Why won't she just go away

by Anonymousreply 4May 26, 2024 7:12 AM

Sorry Putin at R4.

She'll never go away.

But by all means, YOU can go away, you fucking troll.

by Anonymousreply 5May 26, 2024 7:19 AM

She was in that government, first Obama's, that had enough hands in Congress and Senate to pass the bill.

It was one of liar Obama's main promisses before election, but somehow they were too busy with military actions in Iraq and Syria.

by Anonymousreply 6May 26, 2024 9:00 AM

[quote]"The right is relentless. You know, they take a loss, they get back up, they regroup, they raise more money," Clinton said. "It’s tremendously impressive the way that they operate. And we have nothing like it on our side."

She is spot on about this.

by Anonymousreply 7May 26, 2024 9:14 AM

I like her — and I consistently agree with her — but she really does need to go to the fuck away.

by Anonymousreply 8May 26, 2024 9:21 AM

Sure Jan/R8.

Nice trolling from Moscow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9May 26, 2024 9:24 AM

получить контроль

by Anonymousreply 10May 26, 2024 9:33 AM

That's what Google Translate spit out for "get a grip".

by Anonymousreply 11May 26, 2024 9:37 AM

Hillary Clinton has literally been right about everything in the past 10 years, and yet nobody has been listening to her.

by Anonymousreply 12May 26, 2024 10:18 AM

She’s usually right about most things, but her delivery is terrible. She comes off as alarmist and shrill and doesn’t know how to connect with people, even if her message is correct. She should have never been the nominee in 2016. She’s someone who should be writing policy behind the scenes, not out campaigning where she repels voters.

by Anonymousreply 13May 26, 2024 10:20 AM

R13. She had more votes.

by Anonymousreply 14May 26, 2024 10:37 AM

[quote] She’s usually right about most things, but her delivery is terrible. She comes off as alarmist and shrill and doesn’t know how to connect with people

Gotta love the Republican talking points.

They've been doing this to her since the 1990's.

Fucking "vast, right-wing conspiracy" that she was absolutely right about.

by Anonymousreply 15May 26, 2024 10:41 AM

I miss her so fucking much.

by Anonymousreply 16May 26, 2024 10:44 AM

...and the Democrats NEVER "had her back".

by Anonymousreply 17May 26, 2024 10:45 AM

Wasn't she always going on before 2016 that Republicans wanted to overturn Roe though and would if Trump won? In other words, she and other Democrats used the threat of it happening as a fundraising tool and to increase their turnout. Codifying it into law would have removed that campaigning tool.

by Anonymousreply 18May 26, 2024 10:46 AM

Be mindful that this is the kind of thread that Russian and Chinese bots love to spam with propaganda.

They'll try to tear Hillary down and discredit her, just like they did in 2016.

Ignore their bullshit and focus on her message.

Because she knows these rotten cunts better than anyone else. She even called out that Russian operative Tulsi Gabbard, and was trashed for it. But even that turned out to be true.

Hillary was right about the Russians and the Chinese and the American right-wing traitors, EVERy SINGLE TIME.

Pay attention when she says something.

by Anonymousreply 19May 26, 2024 10:49 AM

R19 Do you mean that Russians and Chinese prevented the administration in which she was No.2 , that had majority in Congress and Senate from codifying this right into law?

by Anonymousreply 20May 26, 2024 11:04 AM

I love her.

Of course she’s right.

by Anonymousreply 21May 26, 2024 11:11 AM

R20, what on earth are you talking about? Clinton was Secretary of State, not VP. Her role did not deal with domestic policy. And the majorities did not matter because Republicans were using the filibuster to stop any action.

Why is it so hard for people to blame Republicans for what they organized to do for almost 50 years?

by Anonymousreply 22May 26, 2024 11:16 AM

R22 Hillary herself blames Democrats.

by Anonymousreply 23May 26, 2024 11:24 AM

[quote] Hillary Clinton's Ghostwriter Has Some Tough Words for Democrats and women

I notice 𝘄𝗼𝗺𝗲𝗻 aren't worth capitalizing.

[quote] She lamented that Democrats lacked the organization and funding for institutions like The Federalist Society to counter the right’s influence.

Democrats routinely outspend the republicans by a wide margin, at last since Obama threw the McCain-Feingold spending limits into the trash. Most of it form Dark Money PACs and similar sources.

[quote] Clinton argued that Democrats failed to pass legislation codifying abortion rights into federal law — even when they controlled the Senate — because they could not fathom that abortion rights would ever be at risk.

Even Ruth Bader Ginsburg wrote that Roe was was based on faulty reasoning pulling a new Constitutional right out of thin air that left it open to attack. And you didn't have to be a Supreme Court justice to see that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24May 26, 2024 11:49 AM

More from Hillary explaing why "women" isn't capitalized.

Hillary Clinton blamed her 2016 election loss on women voters abandoning her for not being 'perfect' and warned the 2024 election may be America's last if Donald Trump wins.

Clinton lost the 2016 contest to Trump and has given multiple interviews since laying responsibility for her defeat on various people, organizations, bodies and concepts.

This weekend, an interview she gave for a new book, The Fall of Roe: The Rise of a New America, reveals that she's added female voters to that long list.

She says in the book that women were the ones who refused to push her over the line because she wasn't 'perfect' after then-FBI Director James Comey re-opened an investigation into her days before the election.

'Once he did that to me, the people, the voters who left me, were women,' she said.

'They left me because they just couldn't take a risk on me, because as a woman, I'm supposed to be perfect,' Clinton continued.

by Anonymousreply 25May 26, 2024 12:13 PM

R24 Agreed. Seems like big money, particularly Wall street, biv tech, military-industrial complex is betting on Democrats lately.

Plus Democrats have been closer to propaganda machine at leasf from 60s, mainstream media, Hollywood, academia have been in Democrats' service.

by Anonymousreply 26May 26, 2024 12:18 PM

[quote] "We didn’t take it seriously, and we didn’t understand the threat," Clinton said. "Most Democrats, most Americans, did not realize we are in an existential struggle for the future of this country."

Republicans explicitly state that there is an existential struggle. I think both Democrats and Republicans already see the struggle.

by Anonymousreply 27May 26, 2024 3:27 PM

She is correct that the right-wing is relentless because they lack shame and empathy. Unfortunately, there will never be a time when we won't need to actively fight these people.

They will NOT let things be - always calculating, stealing, lying, abusing their power.

It's a party for sociopaths. I truly believe that.

by Anonymousreply 28May 26, 2024 3:32 PM

[quote] They'll try to tear Hillary down and discredit her

To discredit her, you only need to quote her. No additional commentary is needed.

by Anonymousreply 29May 26, 2024 3:32 PM

She's such a hateful old narcissist. I'll never understand the fawning adulation she gets here

by Anonymousreply 30May 26, 2024 3:47 PM

And I'll never understand why R30's mother didn't use that coat hanger when she had the fucking chance.

Now look what humanity is stuck with.

by Anonymousreply 31May 26, 2024 4:18 PM

Add r26 to that, r31.

by Anonymousreply 32May 26, 2024 4:34 PM

[quote] Hillary Clinton ... warned the 2024 election may be America's last if Donald Trump wins.

I have been saying this for over a year, but keep getting shut down by naysayers who keep saying "it can never happen."

You people never learn your lesson.

Just like in 2016 when there was "no way Hillary can lose against pussy grabbing, misogynist, racist, criminal Donald Trump."

Tell me again how Hillary couldn't lose?

And now they're absolutely sure that there's "no way Donald Trump will get elected in 2024," or there's "no way he can declare himself President for life."

You people really don't see the big picture. Hillary is TELLING you, this is how it's going to be. I've been seeing this ever since the January 6 insurrection. But some of you still don't believe it.

But you will, starting in 2025.

And the scary thing is that I don't know if there's any way to stop it, given the current mood of the country.

by Anonymousreply 33May 26, 2024 5:00 PM

I was so hoping she'd at least be in hospice by now.

by Anonymousreply 34May 26, 2024 5:09 PM

Sorry Vlad/R34, but you're the one who's dying. Not Hillary.

by Anonymousreply 35May 26, 2024 5:11 PM

R1 Except Russiagate.

by Anonymousreply 36May 26, 2024 5:14 PM

[quote] Clinton argued that Democrats failed to pass legislation codifying abortion rights into federal law — even when they controlled the Senate — because they could not fathom that abortion rights would ever be at risk.

Really?

by Anonymousreply 37May 26, 2024 5:15 PM

The DNC is a corporation that doesn't care about the party, or it would have primaried multiple young candidates this year, for a robust field four and eight years from now. We would have had debates for and with Biden. But now they don't even campaign in lots of states. We have no up and comers. I don't count Kamala, she's a cop. And of course Pete picked a terrible time to have babies, blah blah.

by Anonymousreply 38May 26, 2024 6:34 PM

In 2008, Hillary should have been the Democratic Nominee to be US President.

I wholeheartedly abandoned Hillary, who I deeply respect, and know would be a superb POTUS, for the new cute boy in class, Barack Obama.

I respect Obama and voted for him twice.

He was held back, and held himself back, from, while he was President, exercising the ferocity it takes to take on the Repugs.

He was too cool for school.

More significantly, though, him being the first Black President made him, in some moments, tentative when the moment called for aggressiveness. He knew, however, that Black men don't get by with what White men get by with and he held himself back.

And before anybody is offended by what I just wrote, I'm a POC myself. I know what I mean by that and so do other members of minority groups.

In retrospect, and it's all water under the bridge, but Hillary should have been the nominee in 2008.

by Anonymousreply 39May 26, 2024 6:35 PM

"should have been"

The story of Hillbags life.

by Anonymousreply 40May 26, 2024 6:36 PM

IMO, this was not the reasoning.

Abortion will always be a controversial topic for VOTERS - even those who normally would vote for a Democrat. IMO, a lot of the legislators just didn't have the balls to vote yes on a bill that would codify abortion rights. The legislators did not want to lose any votes over this topic.

But, yes, she's right in that the opportunity was there to get it codified -- when the Dems were in the majority.

by Anonymousreply 41May 26, 2024 6:41 PM

Hillary’s time was in 2008. She should have been the Democratic nominee back then. But she failed to beat inexperienced, but charismatic, Obama. And that’s her fault.

by Anonymousreply 42May 26, 2024 6:45 PM

[quote]Hillary Clinton ... warned the 2024 election may be America's last if Donald Trump wins.

Nancy Pelosi said this a long time ago. She said America would not survive another term of Trump. Hillary is just co-opting it as her own.

by Anonymousreply 43May 26, 2024 6:47 PM

[quote] But she failed to beat inexperienced, but charismatic, Obama. And that’s her fault.

Not entirely. The DNC stacked the desk for Obama in several ways but most blatantly robbing Hillary of delegates she won in both Michigan and Florida. The PUMAs ({Party Unity My Ass) were a response to this cheating.

by Anonymousreply 44May 26, 2024 6:58 PM

In the "if we could turn back time" department:

The Democratic powers that be should have learned their lesson in 2008 that Hillary is a brilliant woman but a lousy campaigner. They should have discouraged her from running again in 2016.

If Hillary hadn't run in 2016, Biden probably could have been convinced to run. Biden, who didn't seem so tired and feeble then, would have beaten Trump, and he would have been able to appoint liberal Supreme Court justices.

Trump undoubtedly would have tried again in 2020. But Biden would have gotten high marks for his handling of the COVID crisis and would have won re-election in 2020.

If that had happened, Trump never would have risen to power and would be seen today as a loser. As a result, the GOP would be pivoting toward more establishment candidates in their bid to regain power. The Republicans today would still be evil but a little less unhinged and batshit crazy. Biden's VP (he probably wouldn't have chosen Kamala Harris in 2016) would now be vying for the nomination among a field of Democratic contenders.

by Anonymousreply 45May 26, 2024 7:06 PM

If we could turn back time, maybe when Hillary was First Lady, or Senator, she could have pushed for codifying abortion? Instead of naming post offices?

by Anonymousreply 46May 26, 2024 7:15 PM

I'm starting to wonder if these threads (like the one discussing Romney vs. Obama) are trolling intended to instill doubt in the minds of Democratically leaning DL voters....

by Anonymousreply 47May 26, 2024 7:19 PM

She was the first person - that I remember - to talk about health care being available to all in the US.

by Anonymousreply 48May 26, 2024 7:19 PM

Remember when was desperately losing to Obama and she tried crying in New Hampshire back in 2008 in an effort to seem more relatable to women? That was a fail too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49May 26, 2024 7:21 PM

[quote]She was the first person - that I remember - to talk about health care being available to all in the US.

It was her husband who campaigned on that issue in 1992. And then he won and put Hillary in charge of it. And she failed.

by Anonymousreply 50May 26, 2024 7:23 PM

It's obvious trolling, r47. We went through this in 2016, 2020 and 2022.

by Anonymousreply 51May 26, 2024 7:23 PM

Keep trolling, r50.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52May 26, 2024 7:25 PM

[quote] She was the first person - that I remember - to talk about health care being available to all in the US.

Try Richard Nixon trying to get his universal health plan past Ted Kennedy. Ted blocked it to ensure Nixon won no victories while Watergate had the focus. Jimmy Carter tried to resurrect a slightly different version of the plan which Ted again blocked, just out of spite toward Carter.

Just before his death Ted apologized for his action against Nixon. Carter got no apologies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53May 26, 2024 7:32 PM

I didn't realize this about Kennedy. What a bastard, ruined so many lives through those two actions.

by Anonymousreply 54May 26, 2024 7:38 PM

Kennedy also had final blow to healthcare. His death, and the Republican who won his seat, resulted in the Democrats losing a supermajority. Among many other casualties were the ACA’s public option and (due to a typo that Republicans refused to fix) the requirement for Americans to carry health insurance.

by Anonymousreply 55May 26, 2024 8:11 PM

That's right! Great point! After his death The Dems ran one of the worst candidates of all time, Martha Coakley, who lost to Scott Brown. (Although that piece of shit Joseph Lieberman also deserves much of the blame for the loss of a public option)

by Anonymousreply 56May 26, 2024 8:20 PM

R13 = Bernie Sanders

by Anonymousreply 57May 26, 2024 8:28 PM

I think she should have been president instead of her husband.

by Anonymousreply 58May 26, 2024 8:29 PM

[quote] losing a supermajority

Times sure have changed. Democrats back then had almost 60 seats in the Senate. Now we're barely able to squeak out 50 or 51. And wasn't that supermajority also dependent on the Al Franken/Norm 'chicklet teeth' Coleman Senate race recount. Seems like that went on for a month or more.

by Anonymousreply 59May 26, 2024 9:03 PM

The woman who gave us Trump.

by Anonymousreply 60May 26, 2024 9:26 PM

R60, Dump’s witch of a mother gave us Dump. There are a zillion reasons he squeaked by in 2016, just give it up.

by Anonymousreply 61May 26, 2024 9:29 PM

She thought she was being so clever encouraging him to run, lol

by Anonymousreply 62May 26, 2024 9:31 PM

[quote] Hillary Clinton ... warned the 2024 election may be America's last if Donald Trump wins.

[quote] Nancy Pelosi said this a long time ago. She said America would not survive another term of Trump. Hillary is just co-opting it as her own.

If these two people who have been in the center of US politics since the 1980's are saying this, then why is no one listening?

Trump MUST be stopped!

Democrats should be pulling out all the stops to declare this man a threat, and get Biden's numbers up!!

by Anonymousreply 63May 26, 2024 9:49 PM

The best way to get Biden's numbers up would be to have him stroke out and be replaced on the ticket.

by Anonymousreply 64May 26, 2024 10:02 PM

[quote]If these two people who have been in the center of US politics since the 1980's

Hillary was an unknown until 1991 when her husband started gaining national prominence as a Democratic contender for the 1992 election.

by Anonymousreply 65May 26, 2024 11:03 PM

[quote] Hillary was an unknown until 1991

Hillary has been prominent in US politics since her college years, and immediately after:

[quote] Rodham was recruited by political advisor Anne Wexler to work on the 1970 campaign of Connecticut U.S. Senate candidate Joseph Duffey. Rodham later crediting Wexler with providing her first job in politics.

[quote] Rodham and Clinton campaigned in Texas for unsuccessful 1972 Democratic presidential candidate George McGovern. She received a Juris Doctor degree from Yale in 1973

[quote] In 1974, she was a member of the impeachment inquiry staff in Washington, D.C., and advised the House Committee on the Judiciary during the Watergate scandal. The committee's work culminated with the resignation of President Richard Nixon in August 1974.

[quote] In February 1977, Rodham joined the venerable Rose Law Firm, a bastion of Arkansan political and economic influence.

[quote] In 1977, President Jimmy Carter (for whom Rodham had been the 1976 campaign director of field operations in Indiana)[86] appointed her to the board of directors of the Legal Services Corporation.[87] She held that position from 1978 until the end of 1981.

[quote] From 1982 to 1988, Clinton was on the board of directors, sometimes as chair, of the New World Foundation, which funded a variety of New Left interest groups. Clinton was chairman of the board of the Children's Defense Fund and on the board of the Arkansas Children's Hospital's Legal Services (1988–92)

[quote] In addition to her positions with nonprofit organizations, she also held positions on the corporate board of directors of TCBY (1985–92), Wal-Mart Stores (1986–92) and Lafarge (1990–92). TCBY and Wal-Mart were Arkansas-based companies that were also clients of Rose Law.

Make no mistake. Hillary was nationally well known in political circles, ever since graduating from college.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66May 27, 2024 12:26 AM

Yeah, she doesn't have The Touch, whatever it is that really just works in politics. But of course, she is generally right about things. She has her flaws, of course, but she is a smart and interesting person who has been at the center of national politics for decades.

I absolutely do not understand the clowns and dingbats who think she needs to just "go away." Why? Why, dingbats, why do you need somebody who clearly has a lot to say and a whole lot of experience to "go away"? What exactly is your fucked up nonsense bullshit mentality that you can't even stand to hear from somebody who clearly has opinions worth hearing? Is it just neurosis, or something more interesting?

by Anonymousreply 67May 27, 2024 12:45 AM

[quote] The best way to get Biden's numbers up would be to have him stroke out and be replaced on the ticket.

If they have to wheel him in on a gurney, you should still vote for him over that cunt of a shitweasel Donald J. Trump.

by Anonymousreply 68May 27, 2024 1:02 AM

Like cicadas, the hissing Hillbottoms have emerged.

by Anonymousreply 69May 27, 2024 1:38 AM

Damn, she still frightens you r69. Why? She's just a woman with a few opinions. Why is that such a trauma to you?

by Anonymousreply 70May 27, 2024 1:43 AM

I'm disappointed that when she was on stage during the debate with Trump and he was walking around behind her that she didn't turn around and say "Stop stalking me!"

by Anonymousreply 71May 27, 2024 1:59 AM

MAGATS would have called her "shrill," R71.

That's their standard go-to line.

by Anonymousreply 72May 27, 2024 5:28 AM

I wish during the debates she had turned to Trump and said: "cool it Donald or I'm going to show you the park like I did to Vince Foster". That would have settled his hash.

by Anonymousreply 73May 27, 2024 5:30 AM

She's right. As she has been.

But just as she's been rather consistently right, she's similarly been a consistent scold to those who failed to support and/or believe her. She has a talent for saying the right thing the wrong, scoldy way,. Her message is: if I didn't scare the shit out of you last time, there's miserably little hope for you this time.

Once again, she's right. And once again she will sway almost no one who doesn't already support her.

by Anonymousreply 74May 27, 2024 5:56 AM

[quote] Hillary was nationally well known in political circles, ever since graduating from college.

She would have done better for the country to stay home and bake cookies

by Anonymousreply 75May 27, 2024 7:23 AM

Won't this dumb bitch ever go away?

She wanted Trumpy to run against & had her winged monkeys build him up on so many levels.

She normalized him by referring to him as "My friend Donald" numerous times while he slandered her & made "Lock her up" a winning catch phrase.

Her slamming Bill's female accusers instead of divorcing him after they left the WH did her in as it made her into a big hypocrite when Trumpy's AH tape surfaced & no woman I knew cared about it after what Bill got away with ("bimbo eruptions", etc.). I saw so many Trump signs here in Ohio that I knew he'd carry the state in 2016 & he even turned it deep red now thanks to her "great political mind".

by Anonymousreply 76May 27, 2024 7:48 AM

R12 She told everyone she had the '16 election in the bag against Donald . She wasn't right about that.

R14 Votes have never determined the WH . It's the Electoral College.

by Anonymousreply 77May 27, 2024 7:59 AM

One should never provoke the gods

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78May 27, 2024 8:11 AM

^ LOL. I forgot about that one.

Talk about "the ego has landed".

She wished herself a Happy Birthday with the words "Future President" in the title.

Has anyone in the media shown her that post since she lost?

by Anonymousreply 79May 27, 2024 8:24 AM

[quote] Has anyone in the media shown her that post since she lost?

As if they'd dare

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80May 27, 2024 8:47 AM

If Hill & Bill aren't raising cash for the dems then they need to shut their pie holes & slither away.

by Anonymousreply 81May 27, 2024 8:58 AM

Hillary and Bill self-sabotaged a lot. The emails saga could have been handled a lot better. And Bill's tarmac meeting with Loretta Lynch ended up likely costing Hillary the White House. They're both ambitious, intelligent people who were also capable of shooting themselves in the foot.

And even if Hillary scrapped home in 2016 the House and Senate still went to the GOP who were already planning to impeach her over Benghazi. It would have gotten very nasty.

by Anonymousreply 82May 27, 2024 9:27 AM

Hilary also could not stop herself from insulting large portions of the populace she wished to govern. She’s done herself no favors. We elect presidents, we do not appoint (or anoint) them, no matter how fervently she believed it was “her turn.”

by Anonymousreply 83May 27, 2024 9:59 AM

In the past Democrats have been overly impressed with likability and charisma, Maybe we all need to focus on actions and policy instead, The Republicans run ugly and abrasive candidates, they do fine, Also Republicans vote in every election. Too many Dems vote only when they feel like it,

by Anonymousreply 84May 27, 2024 10:15 AM

What r84 wrote a million times over.

Right after Clinton defeated George HW Bush, some seasoned, long-time, ground-game Democratic operatives who are, by now, probably dead, tried to sound the alarm bell on what the Repugs were up-to after Clinton won.

They said that their opposition research showed that the Repugs were going to almost concede the national elections, the only ones that Dems seemed to get off their asses and vote in, and concentrate on local and state races, the goal being state power to Republicans.

Then they'll have the power to gerrymander state voting districts which effect national offices.

I distinctly recall that one was quoted as saying that that one of their long-game goals was that Republicans wanted to take-over the US Supreme Court.

Well, they succeeded.

Over the decades, they did the unglamorous, not-sexy, drudgery of concentrating on local offices and state offices while us Dems were starry-eyed over our national candidates.

How'd that work-out for us?

And I learned all of that in a NY Times article that was published in 1992, right after Clinton defeated Bush.

by Anonymousreply 85May 27, 2024 11:07 AM

Suggestion.

Could we maybe stop the Vlad accusation type nonsense?

Argue, full throttle, full throat. Take it to the mat. A fierce as you can.

But the paranoia totally undercuts your credibility and makes what should be a really interesting thread really dull. Anyway, Vlad is probably 黄 吴 in any event.

by Anonymousreply 86May 27, 2024 11:23 AM

People who idolize politicians are very pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 87May 27, 2024 11:25 AM

[quote] Could we maybe stop the Vlad accusation type nonsense?

Not a chance. The simpletons think they are being cute.

by Anonymousreply 88May 27, 2024 11:30 AM

From the other current Hillary thread:

"Republicans like Opie and other Hillary haters despise her because she's smarter than them, has more balls than them and is unruffled by their manufactured bullshit.

It drives them completely bonkers, which isn't a very long drive to begin with."

by Anonymousreply 89May 27, 2024 11:34 AM

[quote] In the past Democrats have been overly impressed with likability and charisma

That obviously wasn’t true in 2016.

by Anonymousreply 90May 27, 2024 1:17 PM

[quote]Clinton argued that Democrats failed to pass legislation codifying abortion rights into federal law — even when they controlled the Senate — because they could not fathom that abortion rights would ever be at risk.

Let's be real -- they just didn't care enough. Now women are demoralized, they lost reproductive rights on Biden's watch. What has he done to rectify that? He has a magic executive order pen, be creative and find a solution. It's going to be tough to convince voters that they have to vote a certain way or the country will be completely lost. The GOP seemingly does whatever the fuck they want, regardless of who is in the WH.

by Anonymousreply 91May 27, 2024 1:32 PM

R91, an Executive Order isn’t permanent and can be erased like magic by Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 92May 27, 2024 2:48 PM

She's right about a lot of things...Democrats asleep at the wheel thinking Roe v Wade was settled, Republican efforts at the grass roots level,

Most Americans rarely considered Supreme Court appointments when casting POTUS votes.

But, as always with her and her husband, she puts little if any blame on herself.

by Anonymousreply 93May 27, 2024 3:00 PM

The NYT has never liked her and will frame every thing she says in the most negative light. She is being self critical her. She is a Democrat and a woman. She's telling the truth. And we need to not be complacent now. We need to get on the fucking bus. Because what people don't realize is once the Supreme courts and the laws of the land legitimize interference with women's reproductive rights, they are going to come up with mass sterilization, and a whole lot of other laws. Think about Nazi Germany. They shit t hey put in place happened in stages. Gradually. . Read some history. And cancel the NYTs. they are in the bag for Putin.

by Anonymousreply 94May 27, 2024 3:11 PM

Nothing like a Hillary thread to bring out the trolls.

by Anonymousreply 95May 27, 2024 3:13 PM

She wishes she was Eleanor Roosevelt, but is a far cry from such class and determination. I am a man, and outside of siding with women, can’t imagine the whole scope of women’s rights that have been gutted away from tRump’s toxic and conservative Supreme Court. And if he comes back, he’s going to take away even more rights. Donald is not freedom.

by Anonymousreply 96May 27, 2024 3:19 PM

[quote]And if he comes back, he’s going to take away even more rights. Donald is not freedom.

No shit, Sherlock.

by Anonymousreply 97May 27, 2024 3:40 PM

[quote]an Executive Order isn’t permanent and can be erased like magic by Republicans.

How many lives could it save in the interim, though?

by Anonymousreply 98May 27, 2024 3:42 PM

Now we know for a fact how many SC Justices are compromised and corrupt, what can be done about it? We really need to.

by Anonymousreply 99May 27, 2024 3:44 PM

She doesn't "wish she was Eleanor Roosevelt." She has made no secret of her admiration for Eleanor, and she has been guided by her many fine qualities. You know I find it interesting how so people condemn women like Hillary, Kamala, or Nancy Pelosi, or AOC. Why? Because they're political. They get in the arena and they're politicians. Unapologetically. This old queen loves them! Fuck the trolls. And then there's Michelle Obama who would rather be a celebrity and write self help books, and go on speaking tours with Gayle King. Michelle who loudly and often proclaims her disdain for "politics." All I can say about Michelle is that I like her fashion choices...most of the time, and I thought she was a fine First Lady. Hell. Fucking Nancy Reagan was more political than Michelle. So was Betty Ford.

by Anonymousreply 100May 27, 2024 3:53 PM

[quote]The NYT has never liked her and will frame every thing she says in the most negative light.

They never liked Bill Clinton either. We're talking about the Editorial/OP-ed.

by Anonymousreply 101May 27, 2024 3:55 PM

How could anyone still listen to or like Hillary Clinton?

by Anonymousreply 102May 27, 2024 4:00 PM

[quote] She doesn't "wish she was Eleanor Roosevelt."

Than maybe she wishes she was Lorena Hitchcock

by Anonymousreply 103May 27, 2024 4:04 PM

R102, troll alert.

by Anonymousreply 104May 27, 2024 4:04 PM

You're proud to be retarted, aren't you, r102?

by Anonymousreply 105May 27, 2024 4:08 PM

R105 I am proud to be retarted. I have no ragrets.

by Anonymousreply 106May 27, 2024 4:18 PM

[quote] How could anyone still listen to or like Hillary Clinton?

Women like her, like her. The whole harridan corps, plus weak men. I can’t imagine any nice people liking her.

by Anonymousreply 107May 27, 2024 4:26 PM

Nice people and assholish idiots like you finish last, R107.

by Anonymousreply 108May 27, 2024 4:39 PM

Hilary should’ve licensed her name for a line of pantsuits.

by Anonymousreply 109May 27, 2024 4:40 PM

[quote] Hilary also could not stop herself from insulting large portions of the populace she wished to govern. She’s done herself no favors

Unlike Donald Trump, who is such a nice and kind and likable person, right R83?

Get the fuck out of here.

by Anonymousreply 110May 27, 2024 5:34 PM

Seriously what can we do about the Supreme Court? Anything? Or are they just gods and we are powerless against them?

by Anonymousreply 111May 27, 2024 5:44 PM

How many times did Hillary visit Wisconsin in 2016? Hint: none. The dotard was the first Republican presidential nominee to win Wisconsin since 1984.

by Anonymousreply 112May 27, 2024 6:14 PM

I wonder if she ever had any tough words for herself.

by Anonymousreply 113May 27, 2024 6:17 PM

Yes, asshole she cancelled Wisconsin visit to get down to FLorida because of the Pulse Nightclub shooting and all the Gays would have crucified her if she had not gone to Florida. They tried t o reschedule Wisconsin but other urgent things were happening and the went to other states. This BTW, did not cost herb the PResidency. The fucking election was stolen. All of the 77744 votes were fucking stolen in Michigan Pennsylvania and you better believe the Scott Walker Neo Nazis were working with Putin's people in Wisconsin.

To all the trolls on here, let me say this once. Do not fuck with Hillary.

by Anonymousreply 114May 27, 2024 7:09 PM

[quote] Do not fuck with Hillary.

Are her paid trolls still being employed to pretend she is loved?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115May 27, 2024 7:16 PM

Honestly those of you who think Hillary is universally beloved need to get a clue. Or who think only Republicans or MAGAs dislike her.

by Anonymousreply 116May 27, 2024 7:17 PM

LOOK at his hair. They need to have a category for when you go to the hair stylist. "Give me "The DC Politician".

by Anonymousreply 117May 27, 2024 7:19 PM

(Meaning David Brock.)

by Anonymousreply 118May 27, 2024 7:19 PM

I'm no paid troll but if you fuck with her I will tell her. I will snitch you out, fucker. And that will be it for you. You will never have a career in Democratic politics. you won't be able to run for office either. I will make sure all of Tik Tok knows you work for the CHinese! And if you order take out I will make sure it is spoiled meat. I will cut the power to your computer too.

by Anonymousreply 119May 27, 2024 7:24 PM

DL's Mommy Dearest

by Anonymousreply 120May 27, 2024 7:26 PM

[quote] Seriously what can we do about the Supreme Court? Anything? Or are they just gods and we are powerless against them?

You just have to wait until they retire. Codify or legislate things like abortion rights. But you can only codify / legislate when your party is in the majority.

by Anonymousreply 121May 27, 2024 7:36 PM

They can still throw out laws passed by Congress, which this Supreme Court absolutely would do. It’s really time to attack the Court’s legitimacy. It’s not going to go back to any degree of impartiality in our lifetimes and they have no problem flaunting their disregard for ethics.

by Anonymousreply 122May 27, 2024 7:41 PM

That sounds kind of insurrectiony

by Anonymousreply 123May 27, 2024 8:56 PM

[quote] That sounds kind of insurrectiony

Fits in well with Pelosi's two failed coup attempts

by Anonymousreply 124May 27, 2024 9:08 PM

No we don't if we get a majority in the Senate, a wider majority, and win back the House, we can pass legislation to reform the court. We can get enough votes to kill the filibuster, and we can expand the court. We can also institute impeachment proceedings against Thomas and Alito, and pressure Roberts to either reform or resign. The SCOTUS reflected the number of circuits in the U.S. It was expanded to 9. We now have 13 circuits. this is important because ever Justice presides over a circuit. So right now the court is over extended. If we show up and vote Blue from top to bottom we can put the brakes on this Extremist idiocy.

by Anonymousreply 125May 27, 2024 9:51 PM

[quote] We can get enough votes to kill the filibuster,

We've been here before. Dumbass Harry Reed was warned in detail what limiting the judicial filibuster would lead to and how Harry wouldn't like it one bit, But Dumb Harry thought they were about to rule forever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126May 27, 2024 10:09 PM

REFORM! whenilose.

by Anonymousreply 127May 27, 2024 10:33 PM

Harry *Reid* was far from a dumbass. Republicans were blocking all of Obama’s nominees because they hated him. Republicans wouldn’t have batted an eye to get rid of the filibuster for judicial nominees AND the Supreme Court.

by Anonymousreply 128May 27, 2024 10:45 PM

[quote]Republicans wouldn’t have batted an eye to get rid of the filibuster for judicial nominees AND the Supreme Court.

The Republicans controlled the Senate under President Bush in the 108th and 109th Congress, and no they didn't. Also, the GOP was not blocking all the nominees. The nuclear option was used by Reid because of three nominees to the D.C. Court of Appeals. You're pushing a myth to make people feel better about the huge mistake Reid made that directly led to the current makeup of the Supreme Court.

by Anonymousreply 129May 27, 2024 10:58 PM

Remember when Harry got beat up by rough trade?

by Anonymousreply 130May 27, 2024 11:02 PM

God, you people...

Did laugh at retarted, though. Love an own goal.

by Anonymousreply 131May 27, 2024 11:05 PM

Hillary thought the Electoral College was a small liberal arts college in Vermont.

by Anonymousreply 132May 28, 2024 12:03 AM

[quote] the Electoral College was a small liberal arts college in Vermont.

Wasn't that the college that Robby Mook attended?

by Anonymousreply 133May 28, 2024 12:30 AM

[quote]Wasn't that the college that Robby Mook attended?

He earned a certificate in political campaign management from correspondence school.

by Anonymousreply 134May 28, 2024 1:10 AM

So now the trolls are tearing down Harry Reid. He's a monster, and the Republicans have behaved so respectably!

Remember the troll message, Democrats suck and are to blame for all of the ills in the world. Republicans are fine, upstanding people.

by Anonymousreply 135May 28, 2024 1:29 AM

R128 they may or may not have hated Obama, but what most of us have consistently failed to appreciate is that blocking Obama's court nominees was part of a larger strategy. All a long they have had a broad multi layered strategy for taking over government and it included both houses of Congress and taking over the courts. It also included state legislatures and state courts. They have been erecting "firewalls" so that they can keep moving us further to the Right. The judiciary was a firewall, and they weren't giving an inch to Obama. The Dems are so busy trying to be "bi-partisan" and negotiating, they have often failed to see the bigger picture. To our peril.

by Anonymousreply 136May 28, 2024 2:28 AM

I love how taking over the courts is a positive thing when democrats write about it.

by Anonymousreply 137May 28, 2024 2:38 AM

[quote] I love how taking over the courts is a positive thing when democrats write about it.

That's because we can be trusted, and they can't.

Republicans are fascist scum. They want to impose their will on the people.

Democrats let the process work itself out.

BIG difference.

by Anonymousreply 138May 28, 2024 2:54 AM

LOL R138 you're delusional if you think they care about you.. My god.

by Anonymousreply 139May 28, 2024 3:30 AM

R136, the Dems just want to do the jobs they were elected to do. In the end it’s the right thing to do and it will serve them in good stead while the right wing nuts keep pushing more and more moderates out of their party.

by Anonymousreply 140May 28, 2024 4:08 AM

I wonder who Clinton has as a ghos writer now. She didn't even read her own autobiography so you really can't hold her for anything said in her name anymore.

by Anonymousreply 141May 28, 2024 4:16 AM

Vince Foster is her ghost writer.

by Anonymousreply 142May 28, 2024 4:36 AM

The Democrats still believe in the United States Constitution which is the framework for our judicial system our government and our laws. That is the basic difference between the Dems and this current version of the Republican PArty.

by Anonymousreply 143May 28, 2024 4:43 AM

That's because Alberto Gonzalez taught the Rethugs that the law was anything they wanted it to be.

by Anonymousreply 144May 28, 2024 4:56 AM

R144 he learned that from Ashcroft.

by Anonymousreply 145May 28, 2024 4:50 PM

BTW . ATTENTION: Please! May I have your attention for a moment? ...Thank you. I just wanted to remind you that the Trump tax cuts for the wealthy, are going to EXPIRE in 2025. Another reason to vote BLUE.

by Anonymousreply 146May 28, 2024 4:51 PM

To be fair, r146, the parts that are expiring are individual income taxes, which cut taxes for everyone. The corporate tax cuts and capital gains cuts are permanent.

by Anonymousreply 147May 28, 2024 4:55 PM

[quote] the parts that are expiring are individual income taxes

[quote] The corporate tax cuts and capital gains cuts are permanent

Naturally.

I fucking hate Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 148May 28, 2024 5:07 PM

Corporations will never pay their fair share.

by Anonymousreply 149May 29, 2024 12:04 AM

To be fair R147, nothing is "permanent." And we can see to it that ew undo every fucking thing we need to undo. .....Now, once we pass laws, we can make them permanent.

by Anonymousreply 150May 29, 2024 1:55 AM

I wish Hillary were running for President this year.

I'd vote for her.

by Anonymousreply 151May 29, 2024 10:38 AM

[quote]R36: Except Russiagate.

Exactly which "Russiagate" do you mean that you think she was wrong about, R36?

𝐑𝐮𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐚𝐠𝐚𝐭𝐞 may refer to:

► A late 1990s scandal in which billions of dollars were laundered out of Russia with the assistance of Western banks such as the Bank of New York

► The Mueller report investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 United States elections as well as related concepts such as:

• the fringe conspiracy theory (Russia investigation origins counter-narrative)

• Links between Trump associates and Russian officials

► 2019 allegations over Italian party Lega accepting Russian funding

► 2023-2024 allegations that members of the European Parliament were illegally or unethically influenced by Russia

Which one, Precious? Which one?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152May 29, 2024 12:49 PM

all your Russia bullshit always has to be started with allegations or alleged.

by Anonymousreply 153May 29, 2024 3:38 PM

Russia interfering is not "russia bullshit." It has been proven. You fucking troll.

by Anonymousreply 154May 29, 2024 6:29 PM

My God will we ever stop reliving the 2016 election?

by Anonymousreply 155May 29, 2024 6:52 PM

Yes, when Trump dies (which will hopefully be soon 🤞🙏).

by Anonymousreply 156May 29, 2024 8:06 PM

The Young Turks victory party party is too cute to ever let fade

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157May 29, 2024 8:24 PM

[quote]R153: all your Russia bullshit always has to be started with allegations or alleged.

Only two of the examples listed at R152 employ the term 'alleged,' and they're not really relevant to our issue here.

Russia's interference in the US 2016 election is a fact.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158May 31, 2024 7:04 PM

Hillary's selling coffee mugs that say, : "She was right about everything!" I'm going to buy one. fuck it!

by Anonymousreply 159June 1, 2024 3:20 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!