Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is 4 Cylinder Turbo Engine the Equivalent of 6 Cylinder Engine?

I don’t know anything about cars. I have on3, it’s 20 years old. I need a new one. I don’t want an electric car. I figure I’ll buy a new car, but it’s very hard to find affordable one with 6 cylinder engine. There’s a scary merge in my area where I need to gun it in order to not get killed. What’s the difference between 4 cylinder “turbo” and 6 cylinder?

by Anonymousreply 24May 26, 2024 7:10 PM

A 4 cylinder turbo is simply a way of getting more power out of the engine than it might otherwise do. And yes, it may have equivalent power to a 6 now. The difference is that a four is generally not as smooth as a six.

As to whether the acceleration is going to be adequate for the merge you need to do, thats more a function of the weight of the car and the power it has rather than just engine size. There are "hot hatches" - small four cylinder cars that will easily out accelerate most six cylinder cars, and big six cylinder pickups and SUV's that will barely cope with that merge you have to deal with. A four cylinder turbo in a small light car though will serve your needs well, a bigger heavier SUV with one not so much

Another things that affects the acceleration is the type of transmission - older CVTs (coninuously variable transmissions) can be pretty sluggish, as can older automatics. A manual usually nets you the best performance in older cars, but modern automatics will match that now. You may want to consider getting a hybrid which combines the best of petrol and electric - you dont have range anxiety of an electric, but you do get far better economy than with a pure petrol car, and the electric component of the drivetrain will give you the snappy acceleration you need if called on to do so. The advantage of electric cars is instant torque - i.e they are great for fast acceleration from a standstill, outrunning most petrol cars in that regard. A Plug in Hybrid Electric Vehicle (commonly called PHEV) is an even better compromise, as you can go most small trips under 100km on pure electric power, and switch to petrol only for longer trips

My brother has a PHEV Toyota RAV and that thing will out accelerate almost anything except GTR Skylines and out and out supercars (Ferraris, Lamborghinis and such). I've been in it when he's shoved it from 80 kmh to 160 in just a few seconds. If you can get one of those that would serve you very well and cost little to run.

by Anonymousreply 1May 26, 2024 12:31 AM

The Toyota PHEV RAV is known as the RAV Prime in the US. Here's a local review of one

[quote]The main thing that stands out (aside from a much bigger battery) is the power output. The combined output of the hybrid models is 163kW, compared with 225kW from the PHEV. That’s turned a sedate SUV into a quick one. Apparently, it can get to 100kph in about 6 seconds.

That should well and truly deal with your merging requirements!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2May 26, 2024 12:36 AM

Thanks R1/2, I’ve been thinking of getting a hybrid Lexus NX. I have an old RX 330. I don’t need a car the size of an RX but I like the comfort and reliability of Lexus. I have a bad back, neck and shoulder. I want to get many years from a car…I’ve had this one for 20 years.

I don’t know anyone who has a hybrid…I’m an “ok boomer” clueless one. The car I have now was my first and only car. I don’t like new things. If I could, I would’ve stuck with my iPhone 4 or 6 til I died.

by Anonymousreply 3May 26, 2024 1:19 AM

That Lexus NX hybrid should do you well, its based off the same platform as the RAV - same motor and transmission. The NX 450h+ F SPORT version will cost more but return both better fuel economy and more power, again its the same underneath as the PHEV RAV. Maybe go to the dealer, and drive both, see which one works for you

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4May 26, 2024 2:49 AM

I have a 4-cylinder with a 2-liter engine. But my car is small and relatively lightweight. I feel like I would have enough power and speed to merge into anything.

So, I think a lot will depend on the weight of your car.

by Anonymousreply 5May 26, 2024 2:55 AM

I bought a 2020 Nissan Rogue recently because my 2005 Honda Accord Hybrid (6 cylinder) was not able to pass smog inspection as a result of a failing hybrid battery. It has really poor acceleration when I'm trying to prevent an asshole that wants to cut me off instead of waiting their turn to get into the only lane that takes us over the bridge.

I love all the modern conveniences of my newer car that my old one did not have. But I really miss how instantly I could accelerate with that car. I actually got a ticket a month after I got the car because I didn't realize how fast i was going and how powerful the engine was.

I'll keep this one for 2 years and likely trade it in for a hybrid. I couldn't do a hybrid right away after the Honda failed me. I was told by more than one person: "this car will last forever!" I received it as a gift in 2018 (and i was damn thankful for it!) but by late 2020, the hybrid battery failure code came up. I wasn't about to spend $5k on an old ass car whose navigation was not even working and had lots of wear and tear on it).

by Anonymousreply 6May 26, 2024 3:00 AM

Depends on the age of the car. New cars have smaller, more efficient engines. That's why car companies have mostly phased out v8 engines for coupes and sedans and are working on phasing out v6s. The new Honda Civic R has a 310 HP 4 cyl, that's more power that a Mercedes 8 cyl engine from 2001.

by Anonymousreply 7May 26, 2024 3:28 AM

[quote]So, I think a lot will depend on the weight of your car.

R5 This so much - power to weight ratio is the determining factor of acceleration, not power or number of cylinders or displacement. Thats why hot hatches will leave many other cars behind

[quote]Depends on the age of the car. New cars have smaller, more efficient engines. That's why car companies have mostly phased out v8 engines for coupes and sedans and are working on phasing out v6s. The new Honda Civic R has a 310 HP 4 cyl, that's more power that a Mercedes 8 cyl engine from 2001.

R7 Correct, new engines are spectacularly efficient compared to those of 20-30 years ago, V8's have become very much a nostalgic niche market thing

by Anonymousreply 8May 26, 2024 3:47 AM

[quote] V8's have become very much a nostalgic niche market thing

For trucks, though? Talking about Toyota Tundra, Ford F150, etc. Don't they kind of need that power?

by Anonymousreply 9May 26, 2024 4:06 AM

Why does anyone need those huge, on-steroid trucks unless they're often hauling trailers? I see a few of those in the parking lot of my work. Seems excessive and "look at my cock/truck"-ish.

by Anonymousreply 10May 26, 2024 4:11 AM

R9 those bigger trucks may need that sort of power but only for rural applications. In cities and suburban area, I'm with R10, they're usually excessive

They do have a place, and for some applications still need V8 power as R9 says - and that place is out in the country as explained in the article

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11May 26, 2024 4:17 AM

I went from a turbo 4-cylinder to a 6 natural aspirated. The 6 has more horsepower but is larger and heavier. The performance and gas mileage between the two are identical. Oh, but here's the thing, the 4-turbo engine blew at 80K miles. Turbos put a lot of stress on engines that naturally aspirated engines don't

by Anonymousreply 12May 26, 2024 4:42 AM

There is no substitute for cubic inches. Number of cylinders aside.

by Anonymousreply 13May 26, 2024 5:03 AM

big six cylinder pickups and SUV's that will barely cope

I see where you are from, and I laugh, we have one of those 6+ liter Toyota truck that will snap your neck in half, it copes very well indeed, nevermind dear, you people live in little shoeboxes.

by Anonymousreply 14May 26, 2024 5:42 AM

If you have to tow or haul anything V8 is still the way to go. I live in the country and the trucks around here earn their keep. Some people may buy trucks for looks, but most buy them because they need a damn truck for truck stuff

by Anonymousreply 15May 26, 2024 10:56 AM

Who would actually by a car based on a single merge intersection? A moron, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 16May 26, 2024 11:25 AM

I see a lot of Subarus and they are nice looking cars, but I heard there’s something not quite right about Subaru engines.

by Anonymousreply 17May 26, 2024 5:01 PM

What did you hear, R17? Subarus are known as very reliable cars.

by Anonymousreply 18May 26, 2024 5:17 PM

Are you going to get a car or a crossover?

by Anonymousreply 19May 26, 2024 5:42 PM

There’s this one

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20May 26, 2024 6:48 PM

And this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21May 26, 2024 6:49 PM

I’ve heard high oil consumption plus windshield problems

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22May 26, 2024 6:50 PM

Op, any car you consider needs to be researched carefully. All car companies have made some real dogs. Try and find a car that's been around a few years and has a track record. Read what people say about it and make an intelligent decision accordingly

by Anonymousreply 23May 26, 2024 6:58 PM

OP- Consumer Reports gave a vet high road test score to the Toyota Camry Hybrid.

You won’t go wrong with it- it’s also very reliable and has good acceleration.

by Anonymousreply 24May 26, 2024 7:10 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!