Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Grayson Murray, two-time PGA Tour winner, dead at 30

The PGA Tour has announced that golfer Grayson Murray died Saturday morning. He was 30 years old.

"We were devastated to learn – and are heartbroken to share – that PGA TOUR player Grayson Murray passed away this morning. I am at a loss for words," said PGA Tour commissioner Jay Monahan in a statement.

"The PGA TOUR is a family, and when you lose a member of your family, you are never the same. We mourn Grayson and pray for comfort for his loved ones.

"I reached out to Grayson’s parents to offer our deepest condolences, and during that conversation, they asked that we continue with tournament play. They were adamant that Grayson would want us to do so. As difficult as it will be, we want to respect their wishes.

"The PGA TOUR has grief counselors available at both tournament sites, as well as virtually for those not in the field. I am en route to Ft. Worth and will share more information when we can."

No cause of death was announced.

Murray was part of this week's field at the Charles Schwab Challenge in Fort Worth, Texas but withdrew during Friday's second round, citing an illness.

The Tour contemplated halting play at the tournament but, according to Jim Nantz on the CBS broadcast, Murray's family insisted the event continue.

In January, Murray earned his second PGA Tour victory by winning the Sony Open in Hawaii in a playoff, snapping a six-year winless drought.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39May 29, 2024 9:58 PM

Dying of a sudden illness at age 30? Did he have an illness that was kept under control but suddenly went haywire?

by Anonymousreply 1May 25, 2024 9:18 PM

It always freaks me out when a young, healthy guy like this comes down with a "mysterious illness" and then drops dead.

by Anonymousreply 2May 25, 2024 9:18 PM

He wasn't as healthy as he looks in some photos; he had major struggles with depression and alcoholism.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3May 25, 2024 9:21 PM

Uh-oh.

by Anonymousreply 4May 25, 2024 9:23 PM

The first article indicated he had an illness. They second one alluded to possible depression. A lot of mixed information coming out.

by Anonymousreply 5May 25, 2024 9:27 PM

He's cute.

by Anonymousreply 6May 25, 2024 9:28 PM

He had a hot ass but he couldn’t live forever.

by Anonymousreply 7May 25, 2024 9:30 PM

Maybe he liked dudes

by Anonymousreply 8May 25, 2024 9:31 PM

All of the allusions to "depression" usually mean that the person took their own life.

by Anonymousreply 9May 25, 2024 9:32 PM

I casually follow golf - watch the majors at least. The name doesn't ring a bell. I can remember someome like Harold Varner or Charles Howell, but this name isn't registering. RIP.

by Anonymousreply 10May 25, 2024 9:34 PM

Before reading any comments I automatically assumed something substance related.

by Anonymousreply 11May 25, 2024 9:38 PM

Suicide or overdose. Hopefully no wife or kids left behind. Very sad.

Some people just cannot overcome depression/anxiety no matter what.

by Anonymousreply 12May 25, 2024 10:07 PM

So sad for his family

by Anonymousreply 13May 25, 2024 10:36 PM

His life seemed to be getting back on track.

I mean, he won the Sony Open just four months ago, where he won $1.5 million.

And four months later, he's gone?

Goddamn. Depression sucks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14May 25, 2024 11:54 PM

Looks older than 30.

by Anonymousreply 15May 25, 2024 11:59 PM

It was the VAX!

by Anonymousreply 16May 26, 2024 12:01 AM

Bathtub?

by Anonymousreply 17May 26, 2024 12:10 AM

He died of morbid obesity

by Anonymousreply 18May 26, 2024 12:14 AM

[quote] After Grayson Murray called out the PGA Tour in 2021, commissioner Jay Monahan had lengthy talks about mental health with him

FORT WORTH, Texas — After Grayson Murray called out the PGA Tour via social media in 2021, saying he hadn’t been given enough support through bouts with alcoholism and mental health, commissioner Jay Monahan had lengthy talks with the star player, he revealed on Saturday.

Murray died on Saturday morning, after withdrawing from the Charles Schwab Challenge on Friday. No cause of death has been listed.

In his 2021 post, Murray said he hadn’t had pleas answered during difficult times, especially when he was at his lowest.

“No the pga tour didn’t force me to drink. but the pga tour never gave me help. In my 5 years of experience of being on tour not once have i ever had a request been acknowledged by the commissioner or the PAC other than ‘we will get back to you’. I hope not only the PGA tour steps up in the areas they need to step up but i also hope people are held accountable in their roles they serve,” said the tweet from Murray’s account that was later deleted.

After the post went viral, a number of players reached out to Murray, who became the second youngest player to make the cut at a Korn Ferry Tour event when he did so at the age of 16.

And Monahan said he instantly talked with Murray, who at the time had a single PGA Tour victory — the Barbasol Championship — under his belt. Murray later went on to win the 2024 Sony Open as well, and had three Korn Ferry Tour victories on his resume.

“When Grayson said that, I called him right away,” Monahan said at Colonial Country Club on Saturday after flying in from the Tour’s headquarters in Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida. “You know, over the last several years, I spent a lot of time with him because I wanted to understand what we could do in his estimation, in his opinion, to help everybody else out here. We’ve made a number of advancements along those lines and, you know, it’s become a real point of focus and emphasis. We’re proud of the programs we have in place to support our players, to support everybody out here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19May 26, 2024 12:23 AM

Just another alcoholic, blaming everybody around him for his problems.

by Anonymousreply 20May 26, 2024 12:27 AM

Suicide.

by Anonymousreply 21May 26, 2024 12:28 AM

I am NOT an alcoholic, R20!

by Anonymousreply 22May 26, 2024 12:28 AM

R20 just chiming in to remind us what the polar opposite of humanity looks like.

by Anonymousreply 23May 26, 2024 12:46 AM

[QUOTE]The first article indicated he had an illness. They second one alluded to possible depression. A lot of mixed information coming out.

Depression is not a mental illness?

by Anonymousreply 24May 26, 2024 1:17 AM

Imagine winning $1.5 million in January, and then offing yourself four months later.

It makes no sense.

by Anonymousreply 25May 26, 2024 9:19 AM

Another thread discusses missing youth. 30 is just a baby and not even at peak youth, in my experience. Very sad. He had depression issues but was by no measure a failure so far.

by Anonymousreply 26May 26, 2024 3:51 PM

lol at the anti-vaxxers blaming "the jab," when Murray himself was an anti-vaxxer.

by Anonymousreply 27May 26, 2024 3:52 PM

Based on his face I’d say cause of death was complications resulting from banjo withdrawal.

by Anonymousreply 28May 26, 2024 3:55 PM

It was, indeed, suicide.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29May 26, 2024 4:08 PM

Let me guess. A gun in the garage

by Anonymousreply 30May 26, 2024 4:17 PM

"Imagine winning $1.5 million in January, and then offing yourself four months later.

It makes no sense."

In the context of depression, anxiety, and addiction, it makes perfect sense. On Golf WRX forums (a large, popular golf forum), some posters made it sound like the end was pretty ugly - a relapse and pushing people away by being awful to them, including his fiance.

by Anonymousreply 31May 26, 2024 4:43 PM

[quote] In the context of depression, anxiety, and addiction, it makes perfect sense. On Golf WRX forums (a large, popular golf forum), some posters made it sound like the end was pretty ugly - a relapse and pushing people away by being awful to them, including his fiance.

I find it fascinating that his issues stem from feeling "not good enough," yet he had just won a major tournament at the beginning of the year.

How do you go from such a high-high, to such a low-low?

by Anonymousreply 32May 26, 2024 4:46 PM

Bipolarism

by Anonymousreply 33May 26, 2024 4:47 PM

[quote]I find it fascinating that his issues stem from feeling "not good enough," yet he had just won a major tournament at the beginning of the year.

You're looking at it logically, something mental illness wouldn't allow him to do.

by Anonymousreply 34May 26, 2024 4:51 PM

The tournament win just puts more pressure on him to continue performing at that level. Completely understandable.

by Anonymousreply 35May 27, 2024 3:37 PM

[quote] Fans Dissect Grayson Murray's Final Putt And Notice Something Off

After learning of his death, his final putt went viral, and fans noticed something they hadn't noticed before.

"You can sense his discomfort and inability to focus because of it. I know that feeling and how corrosive it can be," one user pointed out.

"No sign of emotion and quick to exit… his mind was made. Rest in peace," another said.

"Men's mental health is so hard. We act strong for everyone to see. But deep down we are so weak," one user said. "I feel the pain.. and I'm sorry to all his loved ones. And I'm sorry to you, Grayson."

"No one will understand the pain of mental trauma until they’ve been there. At least he is free now. Rest in paradise, Grayson," another commented.

"For anyone struggling.. yesterday needed you, today was happy to have you, and tomorrow patiently awaits your arrival," a third user expressed.

"Don’t really watch golf, but his mind was definitely somewhere else. People are overwhelmed nowadays with just living R..P. to the guy," another said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36May 27, 2024 5:46 PM

Do we think the anti-vaxxer was also a self-loather?

by Anonymousreply 37May 27, 2024 6:31 PM

Interview.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38May 29, 2024 1:05 AM

Golf has to be the most boring profession, surrounded by equally boring co-workers. I don't think you can't be a terribly interesting person and live.

by Anonymousreply 39May 29, 2024 9:58 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!