Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I went to a high school graduation last night

And it made me tear up. I don't know why, but it just made me feel sad.

Seeing all of these 17 and 18 year olds, so full of promise and hope for the future. Thinking that things will always be that way.

In the back of my mind, all I could think of is the upcoming years of disappointment, heartbreak, and sadness that awaits them.

Sure, some of them will make it. They'll be happy and successful and rich.

But for the vast majority, it won't be that way.

Some will die young, many will marry and divorce, some won't find love at all.

Stuck in dead end jobs and miserable.

Looking at their fresh smiling faces, we all want the best for them.

Unfortunately, I know what awaits them, and it's just... ugh.

But at least for that brief moment, the world was full of opportunity.

by Anonymousreply 33May 26, 2024 10:20 PM

You’re a real breath of fresh air, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1May 25, 2024 8:55 PM

Yeah, I was the commencement speaker, R1.

by Anonymousreply 2May 25, 2024 8:58 PM

Just smoke copious amounts of pot,.silly!

by Anonymousreply 3May 25, 2024 8:59 PM

they vape.

by Anonymousreply 4May 25, 2024 9:00 PM

oh pee, you're looking at the glass half empty.

personally, i didn't feel hopeful at my graduation. I was just bored and relieved to even be graduating.

by Anonymousreply 5May 25, 2024 9:04 PM

The point is, you look at all the miserable people in the world today, and at one time they were sitting there as graduates - all full of hope and promise.

For that one brief moment, they each thought that they had the world in the palm of their hand, and they were going to conquer it.

Then 20, 30, and 40 years later.... reality hits them.

The world is just a horrible place that grinds you down, until you die.

by Anonymousreply 6May 25, 2024 9:07 PM

Life sucks, then you die, OP.

by Anonymousreply 7May 25, 2024 9:07 PM

So many of them will end up on pills and booze like Liza.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8May 25, 2024 9:10 PM

That's the mindset of being that young. You are unable to imagine life 10, 20 , 30, 40, 50 years from now. Or, that you will age must faster that you think you will. There are so many variables, so many obstacles, good memories and bad memories. In recent years I to wrap my head around how it's been over 40 years since my high school graduation and that retirement is on the horizon. Make your days fruitful and memorable.

by Anonymousreply 9May 25, 2024 9:25 PM

[quote]You are unable to imagine life 10, 20 , 30, 40, 50 years from now.

Why should you? I am 70 and cannot imagine life 10 years from now.

by Anonymousreply 10May 25, 2024 9:28 PM

Look on the bright side. I bet some of these new graduates are already miserable now!

by Anonymousreply 11May 25, 2024 9:30 PM

[quote] I am 70 and cannot imagine life 10 years from now.

That would be best, all things considered.

by Anonymousreply 12May 25, 2024 9:33 PM

I have never been able to accurately imagine what life will be like for me in the future. No one can.

by Anonymousreply 13May 25, 2024 9:34 PM

[quote]The Grim Reaper

It's taking forever, asshole.

by Anonymousreply 14May 25, 2024 9:35 PM

Some of them have a shitty home life and will be moving on in a few years. There's that.

by Anonymousreply 15May 25, 2024 9:35 PM

[quote] I am 70 and cannot imagine life 10 years from now.

We're talking about teenagers, grandma.

Seniors. Not Senior CITIZENS.

by Anonymousreply 16May 25, 2024 9:37 PM

Get off my lanai r16.

by Anonymousreply 17May 25, 2024 9:38 PM

OP that just shows that you are a decent human being. I, on the other hand, would be jealous that I'm not their age, and would have the smug satisfaction of knowing the life ahead for them.

by Anonymousreply 18May 25, 2024 11:57 PM

What's your contact info OP? I want you at all my parties.

by Anonymousreply 19May 25, 2024 11:58 PM

Merrily we roll along, OP.

by Anonymousreply 20May 25, 2024 11:59 PM

Want to go camping? You seem like a riot.

by Anonymousreply 21May 26, 2024 12:00 AM

M

A

R

Y

!

by Anonymousreply 22May 26, 2024 12:04 AM

OP couldn't get her pork chop penetrated in a Blind school for Horny Men!!!!

And no shit, OP- its called REAL LIFE.

by Anonymousreply 23May 26, 2024 12:06 AM

Behold...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24May 26, 2024 12:07 AM

Most of them can't wait to get out of high school hell and move on with their lives.

They're finally free and can start to be adults - hell yeah you should be smiling and having fun.

by Anonymousreply 25May 26, 2024 4:20 AM

Thanks for your thoughts O.P. Naysayers and pisspots go wank yourselves and leave the thinking and reflecting human thoughtful empathetic people alone. Oh yea and get a life while you still can. O.P I was just thinking about life sort of along the same lines. Your empathy for the plight of the graduating was touching. I was recalling just today the tricky transition from childhood to adulthood and the varying levels of successful adaptation my contemporaries had to this vicious ass world. The people who joined the military out of frustration and out of aspiration and how most of them now are all messed up and get money to stay home and not be a nuisance and disruption to the workin tax payin folk. The small town people who messed up their minds on drugs never left their shires and now get not enough crazy money each month and eat at their momas table still. The very few that made it with their minds and their health intact are the vast exception. It sure is a vicious life we lead. Dog eat dog is the default accepted where our dreams are mostly subjugated under survival. It sure Seems like we could do better. I feel for the future generations with all the economic pressure and competition. Climate change. The common shit and shower and go to work lives where aspirations are always on hold as survival takes precedent. The artist the philosopher who will always be anonymous and drive a cab but in their heart be a great lover and their head a great thinker..

by Anonymousreply 26May 26, 2024 4:56 AM

Climate change is gonna come for them all. We have at most a few years until the polycrisis comes to a head

by Anonymousreply 27May 26, 2024 5:09 AM

I was a minor celebrity in a small city in the Northwest and as such was asked to speak at a high school graduation in a nearby town.

The high school was located in a small logging community and I knew that most of the six or so grads that day would likely not go on to college, but would choose to work in the logging industry or in a trade,

My message was simple but controversial: in effect, life is gonna suck. Forget what your teachers and parents promised you. You know, rainbows and puppies. Your adulthood is going to be difficult and you will be challenged like never before. And you will often be disappointed.

Hoo boy. Parents were pissed. Some told me to my face that I had ruined their kid's graduation.

A year later, I was grocery shopping and one of the graduates from that day approached me. I was prepared for the worst. Instead, the young woman wanted me to know that she and the other grads were extremely grateful for my controversial advice. She said they all talked after the ceremony and decided I was the only adult to be honest with them. She said their parents and teachers had lied about the future.

Instead, it was just as I had warned. Life can be tough and not always rewarding.

I never forgot that encounter.

by Anonymousreply 28May 26, 2024 5:20 AM

I feel you, OP. Bruce Springsteen songs or movies about high school heroes and their sad lives get me, too.

For me, high school was miserable, and I was glad to get on with my (up to now mostly good) life. But for a lot of kids, life's not gonna be great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29May 26, 2024 5:45 AM

The more important question OP did any of them have BDE? If so, did you offer up your bussy as a graduation gift?

by Anonymousreply 30May 26, 2024 5:51 AM

That's an amazing story, R28.

Good job.

by Anonymousreply 31May 26, 2024 6:37 AM

Sometimes I feel like an anomaly. I was an average student who hated high school. But even though adulthood hasn’t been perfect, life has turned out so much better than I thought it would.

by Anonymousreply 32May 26, 2024 6:56 AM

Whenever graduation season rolls around, I have somewhat similar thoughts, OP. Not quite as negative as you, but I do think about how being sent out into the world at 18 can be rough and a rude awakening.

by Anonymousreply 33May 26, 2024 10:20 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!