Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do You Have a Garage, Yet Still Park on The Street or Driveway? Why?

I don't understand having a two or three car garage, and never actually using it for cars. I see this in my neighborhood and it seems rather tacky.

by Anonymousreply 16May 26, 2024 12:28 AM

Why do you care?

by Anonymousreply 1May 25, 2024 7:55 PM

don't own a car

by Anonymousreply 2May 25, 2024 7:57 PM

A lot of times, it's because a person's garage is full of crap, and they can't fit their car inside it.

My fat fucking neighbors are this way. They open that door, and you can see a wall of boxes and clutter that totters in the wind and nearly falls over from the vibration of the door moving. It's like removing a Jello mold from aspic.

by Anonymousreply 3May 25, 2024 8:03 PM

Our garage used to be under the house. The house was built in the 1920s. You drove down a sloping driveway, into the garage, then entered the house through the basement, climbing a lot of steps. As cars got bigger, wider, and lower, in the 1950s through the 1970s, You couldn't go down the driveway without scraping the car bottom on the driveway. And the doors at the bottom had to be opened manually - and the opening was not all that wide. So my dad built a driveway on the other side of the house, and my dad and mom parked outside.

by Anonymousreply 4May 25, 2024 8:17 PM

I'd say R3 described a good 20% of our neighbrohood.

by Anonymousreply 5May 25, 2024 8:23 PM

“ It's like removing a Jello mold from aspic.”

Is aspic the mold? I thought aspic was what is inside the mold.

by Anonymousreply 6May 25, 2024 9:11 PM

It's because the garages are filled with shit.

by Anonymousreply 7May 25, 2024 9:13 PM

My 2-car carport is on the back side of my house.

I strung my clothesline on one side of it since I just have one car.

I'm so clever and resourceful.

by Anonymousreply 8May 25, 2024 9:26 PM

[quote] A lot of times, it's because a person's garage is full of crap, and they can't fit their car inside it.

It's not "a lot of times," it's all the time.

by Anonymousreply 9May 25, 2024 9:28 PM

My friend lives in a planned community. The rule is that you can't park on the street. She and her husband (empty-nesters) have a two-car garage and they have two cars, each (four total). They actually can fit two cars in the garage, but they never close the garage door.

They park the two extra cars on the driveway.

The garage does have a lot of junk in it that is visible from the street.

She told me that the Association nags her about little things all the time. I've never told her, but I think her house is kind of an eyesore.

by Anonymousreply 10May 25, 2024 9:32 PM

Why do you even need a garage unless you live in a cold climate?

I'm surprised no one has challenged OPs weird assumption that not parking in one's garage is "tacky."

by Anonymousreply 11May 25, 2024 9:37 PM

The sun can cause a ton of damage to a car, both the exterior and interior.

by Anonymousreply 12May 25, 2024 9:39 PM

Not an ounce of crap in our garage, just 2 cars and a shelving unit for tools...full stop. Neither of us are hoarders thank goodness.

by Anonymousreply 13May 25, 2024 9:58 PM

When I bought my house 20 years ago, I didn't really think about its having an attached garage. However, I did not anticipate that St Louis - even the supposedly "safe" county suburb I live in, would turn into a Detroit like cesspool of car break ins, vandalism and robberies.

Nobody is going to lay a finger on my Subaru wagon with 150K miles on it!!

by Anonymousreply 14May 25, 2024 9:59 PM

Where's the option for "up on cinder blocks on the front lawn"?

by Anonymousreply 15May 25, 2024 10:11 PM

Think about it, R6.

No garage here, my house was built around 1890. It had a long but very narrow driveway (barely wide enough for one car, but you could fit 2 or 3 in it). A few years ago I had some of the yard paved to create parking pad so now 2 cars can fit side by side. Wish I had a garage but no room for one.

by Anonymousreply 16May 26, 2024 12:28 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!