Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Kathleen Hanna and her precious new memoir, "Rebel Girl"

In it, Mrs. Beastie Boy Horovitz herself, alumna of THE Evergreen State College, dedicates an entire chapter to the time Courtney Love punched her in the face at Lollapalooza. Will you be reading?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51June 10, 2024 5:18 PM

A few lines is now considered a chapter?

by Anonymousreply 1May 24, 2024 9:51 PM

Today's equivalent is Taylor giving side eye to a Kardashian at an awards ceremony.

by Anonymousreply 2May 24, 2024 9:52 PM

Much to do about nothing, it seems. No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 3May 24, 2024 9:53 PM

Never heard of it. Hard pass.

by Anonymousreply 4May 24, 2024 9:54 PM

I don’t hate Kathleen Hanna and I really do love her music but I just found her to be pretentious. She’s not the first white angry feminist to marry rich but I find her work so ironic now that’s spent the last 20 years living off a Beastie Boy.

by Anonymousreply 5May 24, 2024 9:54 PM

I can't stand this phony inbred bitch. Getting clocked by C. Love 30 years ago is the only remotely interesting thing about her.

by Anonymousreply 6May 24, 2024 9:56 PM

R4 Just crawled from under a rock, where he's been sleeping for the last 35 years

by Anonymousreply 7May 24, 2024 9:57 PM

R6 What exactly makes her inbred?

by Anonymousreply 8May 24, 2024 9:57 PM

Naah. I'm way behind on my books, no need to add this to the pile.

by Anonymousreply 9May 24, 2024 9:58 PM

R8 her face?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10May 24, 2024 10:00 PM

Lies! All lies!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11May 24, 2024 10:07 PM

Le Tigre were kind of cool except all sounds sounded too similar.

by Anonymousreply 12May 24, 2024 10:09 PM

Team Courtney. Melissa Auf Der Mar said on Courtney's recent BBC show that all Courtney actually did was throw a handful of Skittles in Kathleen's face. (Courtney doesn't remember because she was wasted, natch.)

by Anonymousreply 13May 24, 2024 10:14 PM

R10 I don't think you know what the word inbred means. She's was actually quite attractive when young.

On another note, Heavens to Betsy were the best band out of all the riot grrrl bands

by Anonymousreply 14May 24, 2024 10:15 PM

R13 Nah, she punched her, out of nowhere. Members of Sonic Youth all confirmed it, since they were there.

by Anonymousreply 15May 24, 2024 10:16 PM

Sonic Youth = more legends in their own minds.

by Anonymousreply 16May 24, 2024 10:18 PM

r7 Bless your heart. I'm 33, so my rock likely has a lot less moss than yours at 64.

by Anonymousreply 17May 24, 2024 10:20 PM

R15 Melissa Auf der Maur strikes me as a sensible person and not someone to recklessly lie (she, aside from Eric, was one of the only people in Hole who was 100% sober). Kim Gordon has had a stick up her ass about Courtney for years (even if some of her observations about Courtney are justified), and she's also buddy buddy with Hanna, so she's naturally going to side with her. I saw a photo a couple of weeks ago of Thurston Moore with Courtney at some event in London, so they still seem to be friendly at least.

by Anonymousreply 18May 24, 2024 10:21 PM

Kathleen and Courtney, the Bette and Joan for gay Gen Xers.

by Anonymousreply 19May 24, 2024 10:23 PM

Makes me think a lot less of Adam.

by Anonymousreply 20May 24, 2024 10:27 PM

Kim Gordon has always been hot and cold when it comes to Courtney, which I can't exactly blame her for. Kim is much more reserved so I can see how a huge and abrasive personality like Courtney could rub her the wrong way. That being said, I remember Kim gave Courtney a shoutout after that Nirvana Rock and Roll Hall of Fame performance she gave, and she's also acknowledged Courtney's talent. On the flip side, she also wrote some pretty damning stuff about Courtney's personality flaws in her memoir.

The reality is that the two of them go way back (Kim produced Hole's first album), and both were mothers in touring rock bands who had their daughter on the road with them. I've seen backstage footage from those Lollapalooza dates where Hole and Sonic Youth were hanging out together for Frances and Coco's birthday parties, which appeared very... normal. I'm sure the feelings are mixed, but I don't get the impression that Kim is a staunch enemy of Courtney's. I think it's just more that she knows who Courtney is and cannot handle the drama.

by Anonymousreply 21May 24, 2024 10:29 PM

R16 Which out guys for this badass. He's too cool for Sonic Youth.

by Anonymousreply 22May 24, 2024 10:50 PM

Any chance of a rematch?

by Anonymousreply 23May 24, 2024 11:25 PM

According to Thurston’s recent memoir he goes on record saying he can only go by what he heard happened with the Courtney-punching-Kathleen thing. Sonic Youth were playing on stage as it happened and there’s no way they saw anything.

Kathleen was there to see Sonic Youth, watching them from backstage.

by Anonymousreply 24May 25, 2024 7:01 AM

EXHAUSTING.

[quote]Even “Girls to the front” had outlived its usefulness; Hanna worried the phrase might alienate trans women. “And what about trans men, nonbinary folks, and BIPOC men? I didn’t want to tell them to go stand in the back.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25May 25, 2024 8:24 AM

The page from Thurston’s latest memoir where he talks about the Kathleen/Courtney altercation:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 25, 2024 11:27 AM

I’ll wait for the movie.

by Anonymousreply 27May 25, 2024 1:17 PM

R25: "Even 'Girls to the front' had outlived its usefulness..."

She can well afford her luxury beliefs. Any connection she had to the truly vulnerable in this society was severed long, long ago.

by Anonymousreply 28May 25, 2024 2:22 PM

I adore Courtney. Today I will wear my Saint Courtney shirt. I don't know who the fuck this chick is but when she can sing and write a song like "Sunset Strip" maybe I'll care what she has to say. And marrying a Beastie is her biggest claim to fame? Pass.

Miles and miles, of regrets, it hasn't happened and it won't happen yet, and days and days of perfect sex and bad tv I wanna try to forget, my miles and miles...of regrets.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29May 25, 2024 2:55 PM

[quote]Today I will wear my Saint Courtney shirt.

Got a link?

by Anonymousreply 30May 25, 2024 3:35 PM

Damn, I do not R30! I bought it years ago, I want to say on Red Bubble, and can't find it now. It's a bit like this, though. And it's beautiful. I also have Morrisey as Christ in a crown of thorns that says, "Only Morrissey Can Judge Me". I love Red Bubble and Etsy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31May 25, 2024 3:44 PM

This gets really weird and uncomfortable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32June 10, 2024 2:34 AM

Courtney looks better than Kathleen and Courtney did heroin and freebased cocaine for years.

by Anonymousreply 33June 10, 2024 2:51 AM

R32 she talks like a mentally stunted 17 year old girl

by Anonymousreply 34June 10, 2024 3:16 AM

This Kathleen person looks like there’s something wrong with her

by Anonymousreply 35June 10, 2024 3:30 AM

Thanks, OP. I like how DL is one of the very few spots on the internet where GenX often tends to dominate "the conversation." I'm not usually a memoir reader but have enjoyed some of the Britpop memoirs that have been published in recent years, including ones by Graham Coxon and Luke Haines (The Auteurs), as well as Kristin Hersh's "Rat Girl," Viv Albertine's "Clothes, Clothes, Clothes. Music, Music, Music. Boys, Boys, Boys," and Kim Gordon's "Girl In a Band" (with female memoirists, publishers apparently like to stick the word 'girl' in the title).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36June 10, 2024 3:40 AM

[quote]Even “Girls to the front” had outlived its usefulness; Hanna worried the phrase might alienate trans women. “And what about trans men, nonbinary folks, and BIPOC men? I didn’t want to tell them to go stand in the back.”

How literal-minded of her. Also: so afraid of being overheard excluding any sliver-of-the-population-minority that she has to pre-empt potential accusations by explicitly mentioning "nonbinary folks and BIPOC men." Kim Deal would never parrot those phrases just to be seen as being in sync with the times.

by Anonymousreply 37June 10, 2024 3:55 AM

R33 Courtney is beautiful. She looks better than most, not just Kathleen. Somehow she has better surgeons than even Madonna. Madonna should take a page from her book.

by Anonymousreply 38June 10, 2024 3:56 AM

Ha, R37 Preach! I'm sure she also does land acknowledgements pre show. Kim will never fucking do that either. She's a cannonball.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39June 10, 2024 3:58 AM

Kathleen Hanna is mentally ill but she blames her instability on Lyme disease.

by Anonymousreply 40June 10, 2024 4:06 AM

"Females to the front" might have been exclusionary, since "a girl is anyone who identifies as a girl."

by Anonymousreply 41June 10, 2024 4:06 AM

R38 people on DL rag on her for a variety of reasons (including her looks) but I have always thought Courtney was beautiful too—even way back in the early ‘90s when all she’d had done was the single nose job. She was striking looking, wild. She still looks incredibly good today, all things considered.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42June 10, 2024 4:51 AM

Yep R42. It's ridiculous when people try and disparage her looks. She may be a shitty person, a junkie, etc, but she's not ugly! Thank you. I'm sure she's an insufferable asshole in real life, so I don't ever want to meet her or even watch interviews with her, but I love her music and she's gorgeous.

"Hold on to me, baby, hold, hold on tight, and we'll just see which one of us gets out alive..."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43June 10, 2024 4:58 AM

She’s always had the ability to assess her looks in a rather unemotional objective way. I think that must have helped her quite a lot when it comes to plastic surgery.

by Anonymousreply 44June 10, 2024 12:03 PM

R43 After how many plastic surgeries?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45June 10, 2024 2:23 PM

R45 A lot, I'm sure, but who cares? The point is, she had the right ones done and didn't overdo it like fucking Madonna who looks inhuman now.

by Anonymousreply 46June 10, 2024 2:32 PM

Stunning and brave

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47June 10, 2024 3:05 PM

R46 Well, that still doesn't make her better looking than Kathleen, who looks the way she looks without any plastic surgeries

by Anonymousreply 48June 10, 2024 4:14 PM

[quote] The book took her five years to complete due to the COVID pandemic and the political turmoil of the Trump years – but upon working on it, the feminist icon realised that it was a great sense of release.

Christ, she really does beg a punch in the face. Go get her, Courtney.

by Anonymousreply 49June 10, 2024 4:20 PM

I wonder how she feels about her song being used in that Let Them Eat Cake girl’s Met Gala TikTok?

by Anonymousreply 50June 10, 2024 4:41 PM

I've always liked her. She reminds me of a bunch of my girlfriends of the era and they all still talk and dress like that. Plus she'd probably tell you how AD Rock is in bed. Graphically

by Anonymousreply 51June 10, 2024 5:18 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!