Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Anyone else not a caffeine drinker?

I don't drink coffee or caffeinated tea. Sometimes I fee the people I work with who down several cups of coffee a day or chug enormous lattes all day long are on a different planet. They're basically on drugs. No wonder things are never calm in my workplace.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68May 25, 2024 10:55 PM

I don’t trust people who don’t like or drink coffee. When someone tells me they don’t like coffee because it makes them too nervous and jittery, that’s a red flag for me. I base this on life experience with people.

by Anonymousreply 1May 24, 2024 12:08 PM

Coffee does stimulate your body and nervous system, but it also calms your mind and focuses thought. If you drink it right.

by Anonymousreply 2May 24, 2024 12:09 PM

caffeine consumption seems to have a serious benefit for your long-term mental health.

by Anonymousreply 3May 24, 2024 12:16 PM

The reason I don't drink coffee is because I don't like it, then I was also told not to drink it for medical reasons - but I didn't anyway.

by Anonymousreply 4May 24, 2024 12:21 PM

I need one coffee in the morning, a far cry from years ago when I was swilling it all day and hopping around like Basil Fawlty.

Sometimes I'll have caffeinated tea in the afternoon in cold weather but usually none after 1pm.

by Anonymousreply 5May 24, 2024 12:24 PM

There's always that One Person at a meeting or conference who has to pull focus to themselves by loudly asking, "I don't drink coffee, don't you have any herbal tea?" at the coffee breaks.

Don't be that person, OP. Everyone hates that person.

by Anonymousreply 6May 24, 2024 12:25 PM

R6 I'm not that person, I don't like herbal tea. I don't need to call attention to myself at coffee breaks.

by Anonymousreply 7May 24, 2024 12:27 PM

R5 Seems sensible.

By the way it's not as if coffee never crossed my lips. I used to drink it to stay awake for various reasons and I liked it ok if it had a lot of half and half and some sugar.

by Anonymousreply 8May 24, 2024 12:29 PM

Well said, R1. Every adult I've met who talks about their hatred of coffee has had some sort of Cluster B disorder and/or a mugshot collection.

by Anonymousreply 9May 24, 2024 12:51 PM

R1, all that means is that they have some level of anxiety. Coffee increases anxiety in the anxious, which is unpleasant. It's the reverse of a red flag that they recognise that.

by Anonymousreply 10May 24, 2024 2:11 PM

OP, research suggest that coffee is good for the liver and kidneys, and it's chock full of antioxidants. I'm the first to admit I'm addicted, but so what? What's the downside? It's not like I'm abandoning my family, living rough on the streets, or turning tricks to score my next cup of coffee.

by Anonymousreply 11May 24, 2024 2:18 PM

I used to be a daily coffee drinker but stopped when I got Covid and lost my taste and smell for a while. I have not gotten back into the habit because I noticed, as R10 pointed out, that it was causing a lot of what I had previously thought was anxiety. I am also sleeping much better since reducing my intake. I still have a coffee as a treat on the weekends because I like the flavor, but I second that it causes anxiety in some.

by Anonymousreply 12May 24, 2024 2:19 PM

I love the taste of coffee and usually drink it black no sugar. I had about 4 cups in the morning hours. Due to health reasons recently, (sleep) I started drinking exclusively Swiss processed decaf. After a few months I noticed my resting heart rate INCREASED (thanks Apple Watch) and so I started drinking my first cup as caffeinated and the rest of the day I drink decaf. It makes a difference for some reason and my dr. agrees it seems to work for me. I do liked iced coffee when it’s really hot and I take a bit of milk with that. But generally I like it with nothing no milk cream or sweetener. I also pretty much only drink coffee water iced tea or sparkling water. I don’t say no to wine or champagne or the occasional cocktail at a party or dinner out with friends. It keeps life interesting. One thing I cannot do it have coffee after a large meal even decaf. I’ll shit my pants.

If you don’t like it don’t drink it. I don’t judge people like that.

by Anonymousreply 13May 24, 2024 2:27 PM

I wish I could but it gives me terrible acne. I discovered that about 10 years ago and have been woefully caffeine free since. Apparently it's a common acne trigger in people. It increases cortisol and your inflammatory response. I can drink decaf a few times a week without issue just because I miss the taste so much, but anymore is pushing it as it's not 100% caffeine free. I have to be careful with dark chocolate too.

I tell people I can't drink it because it gives me insomnia because I'm afraid it would make me look vain to tell the truth. So don't be so quick to judge people who say they don't drink coffee because it makes them too jittery. They might just be saying that because they don't feel comfortable sharing that it triggers an embarrassing medical condition like IBS or cystic acne.

Also, just fyi...coffee drinkers have bitter tasting cum. I can always tell when a guy is a heavy coffee drinker because it funks the spunk even worse than cigarettes.

by Anonymousreply 14May 24, 2024 2:34 PM

I don't drink coffee. Or anything else with caffeine in it. In fact, at this point, all I drink is water, milk, and V8.

Lo these many years ago, when I was still a drug addict, I decided I was going to try to get clean (I was 22); so I went to my first meeting. They had a massive coffeepot there, the ones that look like a 55 gallon drum with a spout. In the course of the evening, I drank five cups of coffee and drove home.

It was very late, and of course I was wide awake. So I thought to myself, well, it's good that I have some more crank and pot left. I'll smoke some pot now, shoot some speed when I get up, smoke some pot to take the edge off the speed on the way to work, and then take some quaaludes and drink when I get home from work so I can get to sleep.

Then the light bulb went off and I realized that I truly was a drug addict. And I've never ingested caffeine since (except the tiny amount in milk chocolate).

by Anonymousreply 15May 24, 2024 2:41 PM

I don't drink it very often due to a few medical conditions that it's not great for (IBS, essential tremor, insomnia). My co-workers are constantly going to grab coffee and it's awkward when I either don't tag along or get some kind of herbal tea instead. But what can you do.

by Anonymousreply 16May 24, 2024 2:47 PM

I once worked in a place where you could smoke your tits off at your desk.

Can you imagine what it was like to work in a place where everybody was a caffeine/nicotine junkie?

by Anonymousreply 17May 24, 2024 2:54 PM

Coffee acts on 33% of people as a mild laxative.

by Anonymousreply 18May 24, 2024 3:16 PM

I quit caffeine/coffee once, for three weeks. Before that, for almost twenty years I had at least two very strong cups a day.

I tapered off and, after the headaches wore off, I loved the sense of calm. It was amazing. My muscles felt relaxed. I loved how I felt…

But soon enough I realized I was too calm. My motor skills weren’t great (I would drop things, would often stub my toes on furniture). I also couldn’t think quickly. My speech was sluggish.

I was sleeping heavenly but soon I realized I was sleeping almost too deeply, or too long. Even getting up on time with an alarm I would wake up puffy faced and the grogginess wouldn’t seem to wear off. I would have bad headaches that I swore was from too deep sleep (seems weird but that was my gut instinct).

My appearance in my face started to change and people noticed. Gravity seemed to have new powers over my facial muscles. I looked older and tired all the time (I felt it). I lost interest in exercise.

It’s like I was slowly melting.

But then came the dealbreaker: I HAD GAINED FIFTEEN POUNDS (and counting)!

I was like *sip* *sip* *sip*

I’ve been a coffee drinker permanently ever since. Two cups a day, black and quite strong, no sugar. I’m in my late 50s and in general good health. So be it.

by Anonymousreply 19May 24, 2024 4:00 PM

Not a coffee or tea drinker.

by Anonymousreply 20May 24, 2024 4:04 PM

I hate the taste of coffee but I drink a lot of green tea.

by Anonymousreply 21May 24, 2024 4:16 PM

Unfortunately, it makes me more prone to seizures, but I still sneak a coffee once in a while.

by Anonymousreply 22May 24, 2024 4:36 PM

I only drink water or almond milk. Coffee never tasted good to me, and the lattes at Starbucks or other coffee places were just milkshakes mixed with coffee beans. Some people at my work drink coffee all day long, and I'm like, really?

by Anonymousreply 23May 24, 2024 4:46 PM

My ex never touched coffee and hated chocolate. There's a reason we divorced.

by Anonymousreply 24May 24, 2024 4:56 PM

R11 Haha

by Anonymousreply 25May 24, 2024 5:24 PM

By the way...I was really only talking about a couple of wired coffee drinkers in my office who annoy me. I was kind of in a bad mood about them when I posted.

by Anonymousreply 26May 24, 2024 5:58 PM

I never liked coffee because the lingering taste and breath after, until I had European espressos and the Middle Eastern coffee. I was always a tea drinker, but now being an elder, caffeine is a trigger for my eczema, so I'll just have either when I'm on vacation, or working a 14 hour day with an hour drive home, shedding scalp be damned.

by Anonymousreply 27May 24, 2024 6:00 PM

[quote] I quit caffeine/coffee once, for three weeks.... I was sleeping heavenly but soon I realized I was sleeping almost too deeply, or too long. [] I would wake up puffy faced and the grogginess wouldn’t seem to wear off. I would have bad headaches that I swore was from too deep sleep (seems weird but that was my gut instinct).

I think your body actually takes longer than three weeks to completely adjust to caffeine cessation. IMO, if you had stuck with it, things would have leveled out.

by Anonymousreply 28May 24, 2024 6:06 PM

I don’t give a fuck. I love my coffee. I drink about 6-7 cups a day. Yes, I am a caffeine addict and I do not care. I don’t have trouble sleeping, I don’t get the runs or any of the ill effects previous posters have described. I LOVE COFFEE.

by Anonymousreply 29May 24, 2024 6:06 PM

I drank coffee for 20+ years and stopped 2 years ago.

I fall asleep more easily. I still have to get up 1X per night to use the bathroom, but it used to be 2X or more. The skin on my face looks better, now.

by Anonymousreply 30May 24, 2024 6:08 PM

I buy half-caff coffee. It can be hard to find sometimes in the stores but is readily available online. I am definitely one who feels funky after too much caffeine.

by Anonymousreply 31May 24, 2024 6:13 PM

I you don't mind Maxwell House they have half-caff in supermarkets, usually.

by Anonymousreply 32May 24, 2024 6:15 PM

I didn't start drinking coffee until I was 60 and had been retired for two years. All my working life I drank Diet Coke (sometimes up to four cans before noon) to get my caffeine. I just never could get into coffee for some reason.

Now I have it every day -- usually two 12-oz. cups, from pods. With one packet of Splenda. I have no idea why I suddenly took a liking to it.

by Anonymousreply 33May 24, 2024 6:19 PM

OP here - I love coffee ice cream, for some reason. It, vanilla, and pistachio have always been my favorite flavors.

by Anonymousreply 34May 24, 2024 6:21 PM

I love the smell and taste. I drink one large to go cup in the morning with a splash of half and half. On weeks two regular sized mugs. If I eat out I'll usual have a cappuccino with dessert.

I drank more when I worked in a large office with a break room but I think it was to break up the monotony and have an excuse to go and gossip with co-workers

by Anonymousreply 35May 24, 2024 6:27 PM

[quote]Yes, I am a caffeine addict and I do not care. I don’t have trouble sleeping, I don’t get the runs or any of the ill effects previous posters have described. I LOVE COFFEE.

My brain is wired to need both caffeine and nicotine. I don't know why, because I've never been tempted to do other stimulants. At the airport, give me a big cup of black coffee and a patch and I'll sleep across country.

by Anonymousreply 36May 25, 2024 12:41 AM

“ They're basically on drugs”

My very favorite drug. I hope to die an old man, addicted to it.

by Anonymousreply 37May 25, 2024 12:43 AM

[Quote] Don't be that person, OP. Everyone hates that person.

I don’t hate that person. I think they’re amazing.

by Anonymousreply 38May 25, 2024 12:43 AM

I started drinking coffee at age 40 when a Starbucks was built down the street from my office. I hate the taste of plain coffee but love a hot breve latte.

At home I have one cup of pecan coffee with 4 tablespoons of half n half.

by Anonymousreply 39May 25, 2024 3:02 AM

Coffee in the morning and ice tea in the afternoon. I mostly stay away from caffeine at night unless I plan to stay up late.

by Anonymousreply 40May 25, 2024 3:10 AM

[quote] ice tea

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 41May 25, 2024 3:19 AM

People who don't drink coffee are weird to me.

I think coffee is the elixir of the gods. I used to drink 3 cups per day but cut back to 2 since I work from home now. I look forward to it every single day. It's just so fucking good.

I don't drink any other caffeine drinks except iced tea. Tea doesn't affect me the same way coffee does but I cannot drink any soda. It's like drinking a glass of sugar.

by Anonymousreply 42May 25, 2024 3:38 AM

I love the smell of coffee, but I don't love the bitterness. I always anticipated that the day would arrive where I couldn't function in the morning without coffee, but it has never come. I have the occasional cup, but I don't ever crave it. When I do have it, I like it without sugar but with a little bit of creamer or something to mellow the taste. I also drink decaf black tea.

by Anonymousreply 43May 25, 2024 5:46 AM

I’m going to sound trolly here but certain people don’t drink coffee. Former coworker was one of them. Guy was on the spectrum, and played “fake it until you make it”. Got fired after seven months. Didn’t drink alcohol either, but told his boss he enjoyed day trading the end of the first week of training. These people can’t be trusted, plain and simple.

by Anonymousreply 44May 25, 2024 6:02 AM

I'm with R1. Nothing more boring than people who don't drink coffee or tea. Actually there is > vegans.

by Anonymousreply 45May 25, 2024 6:28 AM

I'm not. I don't like coffee. I only like flavored latte, like a caramel macchiato.

by Anonymousreply 46May 25, 2024 6:29 AM

It's so funny to me when people inflate a random preference into a virtue. See also: sushi eaters, super-hot pepper fans, wine experts, classic rock lovers.

by Anonymousreply 47May 25, 2024 3:17 PM

I've been drinking coffee since I was 6. My grandmother made my brother, sister and me into coffee drinkers by making a "cup" for us by heating a mug of 95% milk and pouring in enough coffee to make it very light brown. We thought we were so grown up.

I was one of those kids in high school that brought coffee with me almost every day — and this was well before Starbucks turned every teenager into an addict. The cafeteria in college served really good coffee, surprisingly. They made three varieties (light/medium/dark roast) which was the first time I could regularly buy good quality.

Thanks to Grandma, I still drink coffee with milk or half-and-half, but no sugar. My father always said I should learn to like it black because that's how they served it in the military. As if.

I spent so much time and money at Starbucks that I discovered smart people work there and are ripe for poaching. I hired a quarter of my staff in company #2 (serial entrepreneur; I'm on #4 now) from Starbucks. The manager of the store closest to my office threatened to ban me. I also hooked up with a few baristas, but only on the road and never in my hometown (don't shit where you sleep, as they say).

My heart doctor recommended I cut back a few years ago, pointing out that we've come so far that decaf is almost indistinguishable from regular, so I drink a cup or two of fully leaded in the morning and then switch to decaf. I can't drink regular coffee past 5pm or I can't sleep. My sister and mother-in-law can drink a cup right before going to bed and sleep without problem.

The world drinks coffee. I don't know how you avoid it.

by Anonymousreply 48May 25, 2024 4:27 PM

Mae West used to have daily coffee enemas. Anyone here tried it?

by Anonymousreply 49May 25, 2024 6:39 PM

So does RuPaul:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50May 25, 2024 6:42 PM

The people who call caffeine a drug have obviously never done actual drugs. Trust me.

by Anonymousreply 51May 25, 2024 7:05 PM

As I get older, my tolerance for caffeine is lowering. Now I have 1 cup in the morning and a couple of decafs mid-morning and that is it.

by Anonymousreply 52May 25, 2024 7:15 PM

[quote] The people who call caffeine a drug have obviously never done actual drugs. Trust me.

I would call it a drug and I've done a ton of actual drugs, including cocaine and meth.

Caffeine is a central nervous system stimulant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53May 25, 2024 7:19 PM

[quote] The world drinks coffee. I don't know how you avoid it.

R48 It's not that hard. I fond it much harder to be gluten-free - everyone is always trying to force pastry, bread and wheat products on you.

I've done cocaine - not a lot, I guess, but in the 90s I used to do it. I still think caffeine is a drug.

by Anonymousreply 54May 25, 2024 7:34 PM

*find it

by Anonymousreply 55May 25, 2024 7:34 PM

r53 I too have done literally truckloads of drugs from a-z, and I would just caffeine a "nice try, thanks for playing"

by Anonymousreply 56May 25, 2024 7:46 PM

R56 Not sure what you're trying to say.

by Anonymousreply 57May 25, 2024 7:49 PM

It's really weird to me how judgmental many of you about whether people do or do not drink coffee. Who actually cares?

Oh, what am I saying?: this is Datalounge. We're judgmental about basically everything and anything.

by Anonymousreply 58May 25, 2024 7:51 PM

Anonymous forums are where you get to express your judgments anonymously.

by Anonymousreply 59May 25, 2024 7:54 PM

[quote] The world drinks coffee. I don't know how you avoid it.

Blind conformity is not attractive.

by Anonymousreply 60May 25, 2024 8:42 PM

My new workplace is unusual, coffee-wise. In the lunch room, there is one Keurig machine (bring your own pod) that I rarely see anyone using. There is only one person who walks around with a Starbucks takeout cup. A couple of others have Mason jars of coffee (brought from home, I guess). Not sure how people are obtaining their caffeine.

by Anonymousreply 61May 25, 2024 8:47 PM

Ever since the first time I went off Effexor, I’ve disliked the taste of coffee (and chocolate). I still try drinking it sometimes, but for some reason caffeine doesn’t seem to affect me. I can drink coffee, tea, and/or an energy drink and then fall asleep. I wish this weren’t the case. :/

by Anonymousreply 62May 25, 2024 9:35 PM

R48 that sounds like me but it was my dad and I was about 14 but I took coffee to school too.

by Anonymousreply 63May 25, 2024 9:40 PM

I stopped drinking coffee daily a little over 2 years ago. I now drink either mushroom coffee or herbal coffee . The caffeine content is negligible. I often do have iced green tea, which has about 30-40% the caffeine of coffee. And I still have regular caffeinated coffee on Sunday mornings at times.

If you do have coffee in the morning, it is prudent to wait 90-120 minutes after you wake up for leftover adenosine to be flushed out of your system before having coffee.

by Anonymousreply 64May 25, 2024 9:43 PM

r57 I just don't consider caffeine a drug at all. I can't even feel it, and usually it just makes me sleepy if anything, but I've abused the neurons in my brain for so long, it's not surprising.

by Anonymousreply 65May 25, 2024 9:48 PM

I never develop the taste for coffee (that included things like coffee ice cream and tiramisu). I do have a large caffeinated Diet Coke with my breakfast sandwich, but then usually shift to the no caffeine version the rest of the day and night. Yes, I realize that the chemicals in the soda are unhealthier than coffee (or tea), but I don’t smoke or drink alcohol and am diabetic so sugared sodas are out. We all have to make compromises. I love fresh fruit juice, but they shoot my blood glucose level up.

by Anonymousreply 66May 25, 2024 10:36 PM

Someone who drinks Mountain Dew in the morning and wears ugly socks with jean shorts.

by Anonymousreply 67May 25, 2024 10:50 PM

Still like a string decaf espresso, but after a stroke the full experience is a bit dangerous.

by Anonymousreply 68May 25, 2024 10:55 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!