Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

30 years ago, Bill Clinton de-linked China's most favored nation status as a trading partner from human rights

According to Human Rights Watch, on May 26, 1994, "President Clinton de-links human rights and [most favored nation trading status], saying while China had not made significant progress on many of the issues outlined in his 1993 Executive Order, a tough human rights policy was hampering the ability of the U.S. to pursue other interests. He bans $200 million worth of annual imports of Chinese munitions, and announces a "vigorous" new human rights policy, including an effort to get U.S. businesses in China to adhere to a voluntary set of principles for protecting human rights, increased support of broadcasting to China, undefined expanded mulitlateral efforts on human rights and support for nongovernmental organizations in China -- despite the fact that none existed at the time."

This seems inevitable. There's no way Clinton - or any politician - would be able to prevent American businesses from trading with China. Realeconomik, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 29May 28, 2024 1:47 AM

Reality is depressing, ain't it? The gap between how we like to think America operates and the cold, dirty facts mind-boggling.

by Anonymousreply 1May 24, 2024 11:01 AM

Sellout.

by Anonymousreply 2May 25, 2024 4:11 AM

Recall Clinton was POTUS when we thought the Third Way bullshit was going to save the Democratic party... and were we wrong.

At least it gave us some influence in China, being their biggest customer by a factor of 2. Oh, if there were only some recent example of when it would have been beneficial to [italic]use[/italic] that influence, but since we had a neophyte charlatan in the WH that only thought about himself and how he was going to make money, we squandered another opportunity.

by Anonymousreply 3May 25, 2024 5:21 AM

"but since we had a neophyte charlatan in the WH "

you'll have to be more specific

by Anonymousreply 4May 25, 2024 1:07 PM

Don't be obtuse, R4.

by Anonymousreply 5May 25, 2024 4:56 PM

And thus, China could start sending their spies to the US to commit espionage, they could send their kids to our colleges causing tuition to skyrocket, they could launder their dirty money in our real estate market causing home prices to become out of reach for most Americans, and they could work in our companies to commit intellectual property theft.

Thanks, Bill Clinton!

You motherfucking CUNT.

by Anonymousreply 6May 25, 2024 5:39 PM

R3

I will allow that the Clinton certainly co-opted the Republicans on free trade in the 1990s; however, triangulation (as a political strategy) really had nothing to do with foreign policy or trade. And your characterization of triangulation as some sort of failure for the Democrats is objectively false, regardless.

In matter of fact, moderation did "save" the Democrat Party, not only for those 8 years, but well beyond and into the current era. Time and again, at the national level, we have seen classical liberal candidates flame out and martyr themselves to the dustbin of history. Michael Dukakis, Howard Dean, Bernie Sanders ... I mean, let's not pretend like the liberal wing of the party has not been given a shot over the years to get their message out. The problem for those guys is that they always get beat by the "third way" Democrats running some version of the Clinton game plan. This happened first with Kerry, then with Obama, then again with Hillary Clinton.

And in nearly every single case, those "third way" Democrats go on to win the national popular vote, which is something that would *never* have happened if Dean or Sanders had been the standard bearer.

With triangulation, the Clintons correctly surmised that America, on balance, is a center-right country, and that calculus has helped Democrats win elections, not lose them. And that calculus is only slightly less accurate today than it was in the 1990s. We have perhaps drifted to the center-center-right in the decades since. If you want put some proto-Jill Stein at the top of the ticket for president, by all means, be my guest. Watch what happens.

by Anonymousreply 7May 25, 2024 6:23 PM

[quote]Oh, if there were only some recent example of when it would have been beneficial to use that influence, but since we had a neophyte charlatan in the WH that only thought about himself and how he was going to make money, we squandered another opportunity

And just whom would that neophyte happen to be, R3? Is it the president ranked #7 in the most recent polling of historians on America's best presidents?

You're an out of touch Marxist and your opinions are clearly not to be taken seriously.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8May 25, 2024 6:29 PM

Unless, of course, by "neophyte charlatan" you are referring to Donald Trump! In which case, I apologize and retract my comment at R8. :-)

by Anonymousreply 9May 25, 2024 6:31 PM

Couldn’t wait to change my vote from Clinton in ‘96. Democratic NIGHTMARE Committee.

by Anonymousreply 10May 25, 2024 6:54 PM

We had four neophyte charlatans in a row. Bookended by some quite experienced charlatans.

by Anonymousreply 11May 25, 2024 10:38 PM

Clinton was the last if the Centrist Republican presidents.

by Anonymousreply 12May 25, 2024 10:54 PM

Bill Clinton was a hybrid. He helped the US economically regarding the deficit, but he wasn't so hot in foreign affairs, no pun intended. He even later apologized for his inaction on Rwanda.

Poppy Bush thought of him as another son. That reveals much.

by Anonymousreply 13May 25, 2024 11:00 PM

Poppy Bush invited Clinton into the Carlisle Group, no?

by Anonymousreply 14May 26, 2024 12:32 PM

He did more damage than anyone to the USA. Removed safeguards on banking that were put in place in the depression. The glass Stegal act the future commodities trading act. Printed and gave to his buddies like never before. He fucked up the-world and we have not recovered from it and we’re not going till. Manufacturing fled to China nafta did massive damage to the U.S. and Mexico. He’s no hero a repuke couldn't have gotten away with the changes he made. He was a criminal bastard. Neocon neoliberal dirtbag.

by Anonymousreply 15May 26, 2024 12:51 PM

China needs to implode.

by Anonymousreply 16May 26, 2024 1:13 PM

Wow R6...

[quote]And thus, China could start sending their spies to the US to commit espionage,

because there were no Chinese spies in the US before Clinton. Here, R6, google Larry Wu-Tai Chin, Gwo-Bao Min, Peter Lee and/or Wen Ho Lee.

[quote]they could send their kids to our colleges causing tuition to skyrocket,

because there were no Chinese students attending US colleges before Clinton, and the cost of higher education didn't start to rise under Reagan.

[quote]they could launder their dirty money in our real estate market causing home prices to become out of reach for most Americans,

because there were no Chinese nationals buying up real estate before Clinton. Moreover, the explosion in Chinese investment in US real estate occurred in 2008 due to changes in China's laws regarding foreign investment and taking advantage of the housing crisis wraught by George W. Bush's administration.

[quote] and they could work in our companies to commit intellectual property theft.

because the Chinese respected intellectual property before Clinton. And, of course, it had nothing to do with The Patent Law of the People's Republic of China passed in 1984, making China the world's IP theft kings throughout the 90s.

But don't let facts get in the way.

Got it.

by Anonymousreply 17May 26, 2024 3:53 PM

R7: you have missed the point of my post completely and I have neither the interest nor the time to explain it to you (and you wouldn't understand, regardless).

Yes, R8, I was referring to Trump. You are forgiven. And I'm still not a Marxist.

And R15: You're neglecting the Republican-controlled Congress that passed the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act which overturned Glass Steagall. I'll give you one guess which party Gramm, Leach and Billey belonged to, but since Clinton was POTUS and negotiated several of the worst parts out and compromised (a dirty word in today's Republican party), let's blame him. But "fucked up the-world"? Overall, bad troll post. No vodka for you, comrade!

by Anonymousreply 18May 26, 2024 4:09 PM

R17 works for the propaganda arm of the CCP.

Ching Chong, motherfucker!

by Anonymousreply 19May 26, 2024 4:43 PM

Oh noes, you found me out R19! Correcting the record of China's nefarious acts vis-à-vis the US is totally the CCP way.

by Anonymousreply 20May 26, 2024 4:47 PM

you know Clinton was great on the economy and domestic issues, but his foreign policy was terrible. he made a real mess of things.. Rwanda, Kosovo, Bosnia, Haiti, and shit like OP posted. And then there was Don't Ask/Don't Tell. Jimmy Carter didn't like Bill Clinton. If he ever needed anything or wanted to talk to someone he always called Al Gore.He & Al were friends.

by Anonymousreply 21May 26, 2024 4:51 PM

Chelsea is still a dog.

by Anonymousreply 22May 26, 2024 4:54 PM

Whenever someone brings up Don't Ask/Don't Tell, I remind them that this was Clinton's effort at preventing an outright ban that would have sailed through Congress with probably 99% support. I'm not going into the long-winded explanation [italic]again[/italic] but please do a google search on it and read up before you assign blame to Clinton (for, essentially, protecting our rights and ultimately leading to full acceptance of homosexuals in the military).

Look, I'm the first to admit that Bubba made a lot of mistakes. A. Lot. He's not my favorite Democratic POTUS by a long shot, but I'll take Clinton on his worst day over pretty much any Republican on their best.

by Anonymousreply 23May 26, 2024 5:00 PM

R22 = the ghost of John McCain.

by Anonymousreply 24May 26, 2024 5:01 PM

If my initial impression of OP’s theory of the case is correct, and this is not meant to devolve into a general tear-down of Clinton’s presidency, then I would just like to ask:

Can anyone here identify a Uighur as easily as they could identify an Apple device?

by Anonymousreply 25May 27, 2024 12:26 AM

OP here, r25. My theory of the case was that it didn't matter that Clinton de-linked China's MFN status. It wouldn't have mattered if it was Bush I or Bush II either. It wouldn't have mattered if it was Obama or Trump, even. It was going to happen. That much of the world couldn't be excluded.

And I can pretty easily identify an Apple device, what with them being stamped with Apple's logo.

Uighurs - as far as I know - tend not to be stamped with an identifying logo.

by Anonymousreply 26May 28, 2024 12:04 AM

Well you know Joe would have done it. Anything for China Joe.

by Anonymousreply 27May 28, 2024 12:08 AM

[quote] Uighurs - as far as I know - tend not to be stamped with an identifying logo.

Thank you for calling attention to this. Chairman Xi will be most impressed when we correct this oversight.

by Anonymousreply 28May 28, 2024 1:45 AM

ur welcome

by Anonymousreply 29May 28, 2024 1:47 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!