Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Andrew Scott is tired of talking about being gay

“Straight people don’t have to talk about their sexuality every time they go to work”

“It’s wonderful to be able to talk about sexuality in an open way. But I do feel sometimes, other people — and by other people, I mean straight people — don’t have to explain or talk about their sexuality every time they go to work.

The idea that I’m being defiant by just being exactly who I am … Be open about it? Why wouldn’t you be open about it? But the word ‘openly,’ for me, just seems a little loaded.

A lot of this stuff has really affected me in my own life growing up. God knows I didn’t have a lot of gay content. We live in an identity-politics era. We’re separating each other more than we need to.

This hysteria about your sexuality and how that is something that is only understandable to people who belong to the same tribe as you — it just doesn’t seem truthful.

Sometimes I find it hard when you’re doing press, because I feel so joyful and so emancipated. It seems like I always want to talk about the difficulties that I have with being gay, when actually, it’s the greatest joy of my life.

What is the best thing that we could do? I don’t have the definite answer. Would it be unusual for us not to mention my sexuality at all?”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40June 2, 2024 8:10 PM

[quote]“Straight people don’t have to talk about their sexuality every time they go to work”

He makes a very good point if you think about it.

by Anonymousreply 1May 23, 2024 2:34 AM

Butcha are Blanche. Ya are.

by Anonymousreply 2May 23, 2024 4:16 AM

Because gays are special and everyone needs to know.

by Anonymousreply 3May 23, 2024 4:16 AM

lol.

by Anonymousreply 4May 23, 2024 4:45 AM

I like him. This made me like him even more.

by Anonymousreply 5May 23, 2024 4:49 AM

He’s not wrong.

by Anonymousreply 6May 23, 2024 4:56 AM

Billy Porter doesn’t mind.

by Anonymousreply 7May 23, 2024 5:07 AM

Well done, Andrew Scott.

by Anonymousreply 8May 23, 2024 9:31 AM

This is an old article. Why did you post this?

by Anonymousreply 9May 23, 2024 9:32 AM

Very apropos given next month. Head out, stay home, your choice.

by Anonymousreply 10May 23, 2024 10:04 AM

It's almost like they're trying to fetishize gay people...ummmm

by Anonymousreply 11May 23, 2024 10:28 AM

What is that gay guy talking about?

by Anonymousreply 12May 23, 2024 1:07 PM

Eventually this sort of thing will go away because it won't matter to anyone and people won't ask or assume until informed. But it will be many decades yet.

by Anonymousreply 13May 23, 2024 1:11 PM

Who?

by Anonymousreply 14May 23, 2024 1:14 PM

I agree with him.

The press seems to be more obsessed than anything. I swear, almost every interviewer starts their conversations with him with 'As an openly Gay actor...'

Move on, Press.

by Anonymousreply 15May 23, 2024 1:19 PM

This was a thread last year. Numerous threads. The OP knows this too.

by Anonymousreply 16May 23, 2024 1:26 PM

He needs to talk about being gay with me.

by Anonymousreply 17May 23, 2024 2:29 PM

[quote]This is an old article. Why did you post this?

These are new comments from his Variety profile.

by Anonymousreply 18May 23, 2024 3:24 PM

The article was posted yesterday, Karen. Fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 19May 23, 2024 3:29 PM

Listen Andrew, honey, be sad when they're not talking about you, period.

by Anonymousreply 20May 23, 2024 3:36 PM

He’s right. Moving beyond putting gay people in closets is not making sexuality a defining characteristic. It shouldn’t be so important.

by Anonymousreply 21May 23, 2024 3:42 PM

I do wish that other section of the community, you know, the teensy little one, would get tired of talking about its identity.

by Anonymousreply 22May 23, 2024 4:18 PM

[quote] I swear, almost every interviewer starts their conversations with him with 'As an openly Gay actor...'

It used to be worse. I remember on the Carson show when Harvey Fierstein admitted he was gay. The audience literally gasped in horror,

by Anonymousreply 23May 23, 2024 11:28 PM

It'll die down and then people won't have any interest. Enjoy thee attention while it lasts.

by Anonymousreply 24May 23, 2024 11:54 PM

He ought to be, when instead he can clearly just project a film of people gossiping about that topic onto his forehead.

by Anonymousreply 25May 24, 2024 2:32 AM

he's a cutie

by Anonymousreply 26May 24, 2024 3:09 AM

Love him.

It would be beyond grating to have to discuss your sexuality in every interview.

I guess this could be applied to every actor who isn’t a straight white man. You always get asked about your identity.

Good for him for saying enough already.

by Anonymousreply 27May 24, 2024 4:17 AM

[quote]I swear, almost every interviewer starts their conversations with him with 'As an openly Gay actor...'

I wish interviewees would let some of the air out of these breathless and stupid interview questions and interject with, "I'm an actor who is gay, I'm not at all ashamed of it, and I hope not defined by it. There's no secret, no declaration, no revelation, no 'I identify as...', but yes, I'm gay."

by Anonymousreply 28May 24, 2024 7:18 AM

I hope he will continue to be cast in gay, straight, ambiguously gay, and implicitly straight roles for many years, in movies and on TV. I love seeing him on screen.

by Anonymousreply 29May 24, 2024 7:32 AM

Sorry but he made the choice to publicly come out. I almost never talk about my sexuality except with friends, because I don't want to talk about it. Let people assume what they want. You don't have to hide but nobody says you have to openly come out, either.

by Anonymousreply 30May 24, 2024 8:10 AM

Everybody at my work knows I'm gay but it rarely comes up in conversation. I sometimes drop it in tangentially when referring to my partner. I also have the coffee mug linked which kind of gives it away as well

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31May 24, 2024 9:09 AM

R23- Back in the 1990’s Howard Stern made a very homophobic remark about Harvey Fierstein but I laughed anyway.

- You’d think all that semen would clear up his throat-

by Anonymousreply 32May 24, 2024 12:31 PM

Essentially, he regrets coming out as he's being typecast. He was happy to be openly gay when it suited him.

by Anonymousreply 33May 24, 2024 10:48 PM

There really is such a thing as 'post-gay'. But he is going to have to change his life socially if that's what he wants.

by Anonymousreply 34May 25, 2024 12:09 AM

[quote]Essentially, he regrets coming out as he's being typecast. He was happy to be openly gay when it suited him.

He didn’t say anything to that effect at all. He’s happy to be called “out gay actor” if it needs to be pointed out. He is NOT happy to be called “openly gay” as it has a negative connotation.

And he’s hardly being typecast. For that matter, neither is Jonathan Bailey. He’s playing straight in Wicked, and will be playing straight again in the next Jurassic movie.

by Anonymousreply 35May 26, 2024 5:57 PM

He's probably used his fame to bang sceney instahos. I have zero sympathy.

by Anonymousreply 36May 26, 2024 8:12 PM

[quote]Sorry but he made the choice to publicly come out. I almost never talk about my sexuality except with friends, because I don't want to talk about it. Let people assume what they want. You don't have to hide but nobody says you have to openly come out, either.

Fuck that. He had to "made the choice" only because straight people don't have to do because it's the presumption.

"I almost never talk about my sexuality except with friends" either, and that's in part because I don't have entertainment/gossip reporters shoving cameras and microphones at me asking if I'm "dating any special woman" (fishing for whether I'm straight or to clarify that I'm gay) or "wouldn't you like to comment about a how big a colleague's cock is?" from the series I just finished (beause you're a fag so we can assume you had a good look), or asking when I'm going "to settle down." If a work colleague tried that sort of fishing expedition or idle gossip they would quickly learn more than they wanted to know about me and also know never to ask about my sexuality again. But Scott has no protection from a "diverse workplace policy" and like his collegaues who work in front of a camera he's considered fair game for questions that would be considered rude and inappropriate to people who are not that particular kind of famous.

The fact is that if a straight actor plays gay or lesbian, it's bold and brave and bait for awards and the active subject of interview questions. If a straight actor plays a straight character, no one would ever thiink to raise a question about the character's sexuality. But if a gay actor plays a gay character --or a straight character-- then that's fodder for all sorts of stupid questions about everything from pride parades to gender identity to the difficulty of getting into character as a straight person.

Gay actors and entertainers get the stupid fucking questions that straights don't. What you choose to talk about in your private life is your business. It's not if you're in a new film or a new TV series or have a series of new songs coming out about ambiguously sexual past romances.

For Scott and others, it's less a choice about what not to say than spending a career dodging questions and deciding whether to be truthful about himself or to let people think he's straight and to perfect the art of artful answers that say nothing.

by Anonymousreply 37May 27, 2024 11:58 AM

He should blame his fellow gay actors for staying in the closet, then. If they all come out, it'd be less of a talking point.

by Anonymousreply 38May 27, 2024 1:11 PM

R30, straight men don't hide their relationships with women. They don't pretend their wives and gfs don't exist. They flaunt their relationships

by Anonymousreply 39June 2, 2024 7:39 PM

Right, but they're also not constantly asked what it's like playing straight, and all the shit that gay actors are asked about even when it's irrelevant to their current project(s).

by Anonymousreply 40June 2, 2024 8:10 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!