Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Another Provocative Flag Was Flown at Another Alito Home

The justice’s beach house displayed an “Appeal to Heaven” flag, a symbol carried on Jan. 6 and associated with a push for a more Christian-minded government.

Last summer (2023), two years after an upside-down American flag was flown outside the Virginia home of Justice Samuel A. Alito Jr., another provocative symbol was displayed at his vacation house in New Jersey, according to interviews and photographs.

This time, it was the “Appeal to Heaven” flag, which, like the inverted U.S. flag, was carried by rioters at the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021. Also known as the Pine Tree flag, it dates back to the Revolutionary War, but largely fell into obscurity until recent years and is now a symbol of support for former President Donald J. Trump, for a religious strand of the “Stop the Steal” campaign and for a push to remake American government in Christian terms.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36June 1, 2024 12:33 AM

Three photographs obtained by The New York Times, along with accounts from a half-dozen neighbors and passers-by, show that the Appeal to Heaven flag was aloft at the Alito home on Long Beach Island in July and September of 2023. A Google street view image from late August also shows the flag.

Justice Alito declined to respond to questions about the beach house flag, including what it was intended to convey and how it comported with his obligations as a justice. The court also declined to respond.

by Anonymousreply 1May 22, 2024 9:36 PM

Alito: Recuse yourself from voting of anything Trump related notably the Trump immunity case currently before the Supreme Court.

by Anonymousreply 2May 22, 2024 9:37 PM

[quote]Alito: Recuse yourself from voting of anything Trump related notably the Trump immunity case currently before the Supreme Court.

Yeah, like that's ever gonna happen.

by Anonymousreply 3May 22, 2024 9:42 PM

Both Alito and Thomas have no sense of what they represent.

Read this op-ed in this morning's "New York Times."

They have no sense of shame.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4May 22, 2024 9:43 PM

I certainly hope he dies soon.

by Anonymousreply 5May 22, 2024 9:46 PM

A good start would be to stop lifetime appointments. Let the people vote on that.

by Anonymousreply 6May 22, 2024 9:49 PM

Who?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 22, 2024 9:52 PM

I'm very tired of being stressed by these abominations who regard themselves as people.

by Anonymousreply 8May 22, 2024 9:54 PM

Did those neighbors also call his wife a cunt?

by Anonymousreply 9May 22, 2024 10:01 PM

Hang Mike Pense ooops, er.... Hang Justice Alito Hang Justice Alito Hang Justice Alito Hang Justice Alito

by Anonymousreply 10May 22, 2024 10:06 PM

Perhaps lifetime appointments worked when the country wasn't so divided and when there was more honor to serving on the Supreme Court...and when people died when they were 60-70 years old. That is no longer the case. These justices are now hanging onto their positions until they're 90.

Supreme Court reform is desperately needed. We are long overdue. to get rid of the likes of Alito and Clarence Thomas. There should be mandatory retirement at 72.

by Anonymousreply 11May 22, 2024 10:08 PM

These guys can't even pretend to be impartial. Scary.

by Anonymousreply 12May 22, 2024 10:17 PM

R11, but then all the Senate would ever do is fight over federal judicial confirmations. It would cripple our court system even further.

by Anonymousreply 13May 22, 2024 11:15 PM

According the proponents of the flag, it represents their intent to create an entirely 'biblically-faithful' Christian government with laws that 'adhere to God's truth.'"

by Anonymousreply 14May 23, 2024 12:27 AM

R13. The Senate fights now. No judge should have a lifetime appointment. How would forcing justices to retire cripple our court system.?

by Anonymousreply 15May 23, 2024 12:35 AM

“Higher, higher! I want the whole neighborhood to see it!” 🏳️

by Anonymousreply 16May 23, 2024 1:00 AM

My wife did it!!! Blame her!!!!

by Anonymousreply 17May 23, 2024 1:05 AM

Throwing your wife under the bus is a very Trumpian move. This man is so obviously in Dump's back pocket, Helen Keller could see it from outer space. At the VERY LEAST he needs to recuse himself of anything involving Dump or Jan 6th.

by Anonymousreply 18May 23, 2024 1:41 AM

Oh, please! You fags have got it all wrong. It was some Antifa commies who put that flag up. They wanted to shame our wonderful judge, Samuel. (Like in the bible!) I say, shame on you all, but it doesn't matter anyway, as any day now, Jesus will send you all to the fiery pits of hell!

by Anonymousreply 19May 23, 2024 1:59 AM

I hope no one finds about that Nazi flag and that Confederate flag *nervous giggle*

by Anonymousreply 20May 23, 2024 2:38 AM

He flew an even more controversial one — it proclaimed the dress was blue/black

by Anonymousreply 21May 23, 2024 2:40 AM

I like the fact that their neighbors — who clearly loathe them — are the ones who tipped off the press. I just wish they’s done it earlier.

by Anonymousreply 22May 23, 2024 2:44 AM

So how do you think Alito and Clarence Thomas will vote on Trump's immunity case?

Duh. Motherfucking traitor.

by Anonymousreply 23May 23, 2024 6:11 AM

I agree with R6 & R11 that lifetime appointments are a bad idea. Canada has mandatory retirement for its Supreme Court Justices at 75. Maybe that would be a good idea to implement for the U.S. Supreme Court.

by Anonymousreply 24May 23, 2024 7:42 AM

A Supreme Court justice should not display anything that references an affiliation- they must maintain a position of neutrality.

by Anonymousreply 25May 23, 2024 10:31 AM

The US constitution is so antiquated. In an age when popes and monarchs retire, we retain life-time appointments. Not to mention the Electoral College, that quaint 18th century relic.

by Anonymousreply 26May 23, 2024 10:43 AM

I fucked you all.

by Anonymousreply 27May 23, 2024 11:26 AM

Sure R26, let's modernize it and make it like a written version of the 2024 alphabet soup flag. It's sooo 1787.

by Anonymousreply 28May 23, 2024 4:52 PM

Using the "alphabet soup" talking point gives you away as a Republican troll

by Anonymousreply 29May 23, 2024 11:33 PM

[quote]The Senate fights now. No judge should have a lifetime appointment.

"The United States is the only country that gives its most senior judges lifetime appointments without mandatory retirement age. "

It needs to change.

by Anonymousreply 30May 23, 2024 11:57 PM

[quote]Also known as the Pine Tree flag, it dates back to the Revolutionary War, but largely fell into obscurity until recent years and is now a symbol of support for former President Donald J. Trump

I hate that they do this. Make up your own cult symbols, leave our history alone.

by Anonymousreply 31May 25, 2024 8:42 AM

[quote] "Appeal to Heaven", also known as the Pine Tree flag, it dates back to the Revolutionary War and the men who made America.

Oh my goodness. What a scandal

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32May 25, 2024 12:10 PM

It’s rumored that both Thomas and Alito (who are in their mid-70s) want to retire and will do so if Trump wins as president. If Biden wins and Dems hold the Senate and Congress, they can initiate impeachment proceedings for both justices, who would probably be pressured by Roberts to resign and avoid a protracted impeachment process which will further embarrass the court.

Their retirement might also head off legislation that would significantly effect terms limits and ethics codes which should also be put in place. At least that’s how I hope things will begin to play out if we do well in November.

by Anonymousreply 33May 25, 2024 2:13 PM

[quote]they can initiate impeachment proceedings for both justices

Would they, though?

by Anonymousreply 34May 25, 2024 3:52 PM

Bush v. Gore should have taught this country that the Supreme Court should have TERM LIMITS. A ten year term is more than sufficient including the Chief Justice.

by Anonymousreply 35May 25, 2024 3:59 PM

The Alitos apparently enjoy threatening their neighbors

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36June 1, 2024 12:33 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!