Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

UK General Election announcement frenzy!

The rumour mill has been on overdrive for the past 24 hours.

All the political pundits are certain that Rishi Sunak will finally call a General Election at 5pm this afternoon.

The Tories are consistently about 20 points down in the polls. Will they finally be told to fuck off after 14 years of dismal failure?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 601July 4, 2024 5:46 PM

He keeps parroting on that his “plan” for reducing inflation is working. Yet, this plan is strangely silent on any details. Much of the inflation is due to Covid supply-side shocks, demand-side inflation (quantitative easing) and increased costs of imports due to friction of trading with the EU introduced by Brexit. The last is a big part of why Britain’s inflation has been higher and lasted longer than much of the rest of the world. It’s his party that foisted the referendum on the UK and then chose to introduce the “hardest” version of the result.

by Anonymousreply 1May 22, 2024 3:40 PM

July 4th.

The Tories are facing a catastrophic defeat but so are the Scottish Nationalists. Over 80% will lose their seats.

Being it on.

by Anonymousreply 2May 22, 2024 3:41 PM

Holy shit, July 4th already? I was just about to post that he'll probably announce it'll be held in January.

This is surprising, I wonder what his thinking here is.

by Anonymousreply 3May 22, 2024 3:42 PM

Just checked the Euros - the quarter finals are on Friday 5th and Saturday 6th.

Would be quite something if Prime Minister Keir Starmer welcomes European champions England on their return.

by Anonymousreply 4May 22, 2024 3:47 PM

R3, Sunak knows it's a lost cause for him and the Tories. He wants to go on vacation for the rest of the summer.

by Anonymousreply 5May 22, 2024 3:49 PM

r5 That's funny. I thought he'd maybe work on pushing through as many populist policies as possible by January, to try and staunch the bleeding.

by Anonymousreply 6May 22, 2024 3:52 PM

R3 gives him plenty of time to move the wife and kids to the US ahead of the school year starting… honestly, I think it’s as simple as that!

by Anonymousreply 7May 22, 2024 3:52 PM

Though I’m far from an expert on uk politics, I’m hoping you guys finally free yourself from the grip of your rightwing.** It’s very concerning that the EU seems to be slipping into crypto-fascism and it would be encouraging to see the UK move left.

It also gives us Americans some hope that Rightism isn’t the inevitable path.

**although of course your “rightwing” is basically aligned with our centrist politics!

by Anonymousreply 8May 22, 2024 3:53 PM

It's about time.

Can't wait to see the back of so many Tory MPs.

by Anonymousreply 9May 22, 2024 4:02 PM

European elections are two weeks from now as well and it's looking like the right-wingers will be able to form a majority in the European Parliament for the first time ever. So that sucks.

[quote]It’s very concerning that the EU seems to be slipping into crypto-fascism and it would be encouraging to see the UK move left.

These things always move back and forth. While the UK and Italy have right-wingers in charge currently, Spain (and Norway and others) have leftists. And that'll soon change. Rinse and repeat, just like in the US. European countries don't elect their governments in unison, at the same time. It's usually always a response to the fuckery of the previous government. And honestly, the votes in the upcoming European elections will mostly be protest votes against the ruling governments, whether left or right.

by Anonymousreply 10May 22, 2024 4:05 PM

It's about time! I am so glad this is happening. I'm putting on BBC as I type.

by Anonymousreply 11May 22, 2024 4:09 PM

The Tories have been in charge for 15 years now. Imagine if either party in the US had the reins for that long, people would go insane.

by Anonymousreply 12May 22, 2024 4:16 PM

Rishi's BS announcement speech getting drowned out by 'Things Can Only Get Better' (Labour's '97 victory anthem) is straight up World Championship Trolling!

by Anonymousreply 13May 22, 2024 4:19 PM

I'm now suddenly concerned he's seen some horrific figures about an economic crash due in the autumn. He might want to just get out quick. But I can't see the cabinet being on board with supporting the end of their careers and the suicide note of the Conservative party just so he can go on holiday.

by Anonymousreply 14May 22, 2024 4:19 PM

[quote]The Tories have been in charge for 15 years now. Imagine if either party in the US had the reins for that long, people would go insane.

It’s only 14 years and the first 5 were a coalition. It’s not like Thatcher and Major or Blair and Brown.

And Labour have been in power in Wales for 25 years and the SNP in Scotland for 17 years

by Anonymousreply 15May 22, 2024 4:29 PM

I’ve been a Black Muslim for 30 years, I’m excited to see Sharia law will happen soon in the UK. These straight white Christians need to hang it up, the nasty Karen ass women too. They been abusing the power forever. We built these nations, time to control them right.

by Anonymousreply 16May 22, 2024 4:43 PM

What about Brown people like Rishi, r16?

by Anonymousreply 17May 22, 2024 4:52 PM

[quote] It’s only 14 years and the first 5 were a coalition. It’s not like Thatcher and Major or Blair and Brown.

Or Blair Brown.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18May 22, 2024 4:58 PM

John Swinney stirring the the grievance pot immediately complaining that July 4th is in the Scottish school holidays.

Getting excuses in early.

by Anonymousreply 19May 22, 2024 5:01 PM

Sad last days for the cult of Brexit.

by Anonymousreply 20May 22, 2024 5:03 PM

R16 what were you before the 30 years?

by Anonymousreply 21May 22, 2024 5:04 PM

The Conservative’s best (only, and extremely remote) hope of survival is in getting their geriatric supporters to vote in greater numbers than younger voters who are more likely to vote Labour. Trying to get the elderly out to vote in the middle of winter might have seemed like a risk not worth taking. By getting the vote out of the way now, Sunak may also be hoping to avoid holding one in the middle of an NHS winter crisis when hospitals are full and staff at the end of their tether.

by Anonymousreply 22May 22, 2024 5:13 PM

R22 are you British? Most elderly people use postal votes now so the timing wouldn’t have any impact on them.

by Anonymousreply 23May 22, 2024 5:33 PM

He's got good inflation figures to boast about (little to do with him in fact), but there still won't be interest rates cuts, so there is a tranche of people on fixed mortgage rates who will be hit harder in the autumn. Economically, there is unlikely to have been better news before the autumn.

by Anonymousreply 24May 22, 2024 5:34 PM

I think a Labour/Starmer government firnly in power by November might actually somewhat help Biden. There will most likely be a state visit by Starmer to the White House in the early fall.

by Anonymousreply 25May 22, 2024 5:34 PM

Good. It’s past time.

C’mon, UK, I have faith in you.

by Anonymousreply 26May 22, 2024 5:36 PM

fucking muppets

by Anonymousreply 27May 22, 2024 5:41 PM

[quote] are you British? Most elderly people use postal votes now so the timing wouldn’t have any impact on them

Yes, r23, I’m British.

Only 20% of all UK voters apply for postal votes. While older people are more likely to apply for them, the 80% who do not are a big risk factor for the Conservatives, especially as the Conservatives are going to be absolutely desperate to drive up turnout amongst their most likely voters. Given their dire prospects, every single percentage point matters.

If Sunak had decided to wait until the last possible moment to call an election, it would likely have meant going to the polls in December. Prior to the December election in 2019 (called by Johnson to break the Brexit deadlock), the last December election was in 1923, which gives an indication of how desirable the parties think it is to have an election in that month.

by Anonymousreply 28May 22, 2024 6:11 PM

Sunak looked hilarious in his wet bespoke suit during his rainy election announcement. It looked like birds took a series oily shits all over his shoulders. "Things Can Only Get Better" blaring over him was icing on the cake. Tory shambles!

by Anonymousreply 29May 22, 2024 6:31 PM

[quote] The Tories have been in charge for 15 years now. Imagine if either party in the US had the reins for that long, people would go insane.

Regan/Bush was 12 years and FDR/Truman was 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 30May 22, 2024 6:37 PM

[quote] fucking muppets

Brits are obsessed with Friends and calling people Muppets. Weird.

by Anonymousreply 31May 22, 2024 6:38 PM

Starmer will be a disaster.

by Anonymousreply 32May 22, 2024 6:38 PM

It's a poisoned chalice.

by Anonymousreply 33May 22, 2024 6:44 PM

He should have set it for January.

by Anonymousreply 34May 22, 2024 6:46 PM

R31 Fuck off, you fucking muppet, and take R32 with you.

by Anonymousreply 35May 22, 2024 6:49 PM

Apparently Sunak had doubts about his decision right up to the wire. It's been seen as a massive gamble. But when I see January noted as a former option, I can only welcome July 4 with open arms. Eight more months of Sunak's holier-than-thou head prefect act fronting a party in abject decay would have been unendurable.

by Anonymousreply 36May 22, 2024 7:00 PM

Starmer won’t be a disaster by any means but he has some really weak people around him who will struggle.

David Lammy will he an appalling foreign secretary and Miliband shouldn’t be anywhere near government.

Very few of his team were part of the last Labour government and they will struggle with the scrutiny. Today a Tory minister was being ridiculed for taking his shoes off on a train and having his laptop screen visible.

by Anonymousreply 37May 22, 2024 7:01 PM

R25 - I'm not sure how a Starmer victory would help Biden

by Anonymousreply 38May 22, 2024 7:12 PM

Why would Starmer make a state visit to the US in the autumn? Especially if the only reason Biden would invite him would be to use him as an election tool.

by Anonymousreply 39May 22, 2024 8:29 PM

It must be nice to live in a country where the election outcome will be accepted by all, regardless of the outcome.

by Anonymousreply 40May 23, 2024 8:20 AM

[quote] Starmer will be a disaster.

You’re a disaster, sweetie.

Cannot wait to see the back of these sociopathic, self-serving Tory parasites.

by Anonymousreply 41May 23, 2024 8:29 AM

Agreed re The Tories r41 but you really need a reality check if you think Starmer is going to be much different. Nothing he has said so far shows any intention to reverse the catastrophic damage inflicted by Brexit for example.

In July last year Starmer confirmed he would copy Tory tax and spending plans if elected. In May last year he refused to commit to immediately ripping up the protest arrest law.

The man is a Tory in all but name.

by Anonymousreply 42May 23, 2024 8:38 AM

Can't wait for us to move on from the Brexit era. Customs union coming back after a bit of a cooldown period will be most welcome for lots of small businesses.

by Anonymousreply 43May 23, 2024 8:39 AM

Unbelievable that the Tories have been in power for the past 14 years.

If they win again in July - especially after the Brexit fiasco which was based on lies and misinformation and has been an unmitigated disaster - then that's insane.

by Anonymousreply 44May 23, 2024 8:59 AM

Yesterday was an episode of The Thick of It come to life. The rain, the D:ream song, harkening back to the good times of Covid, the complete inability to lie convincingly, and stupid British media. I needed a good summer comedy, and this will do nicely.

by Anonymousreply 45May 23, 2024 9:01 AM

R37 The minister on the train was the particularly awful Johnny Mercer. A former army officer who has made many claims about helping veterans only for some of said veterans to very much disagree. He's also prone to getting into Twitter spats. Just recently he called a fellow MP a "moron" on there and, perhaps worse, he took aim at Carol Vorderman for daring to criticise him.

Apparently Rishi's team strongly suggested he do his speech inside, but he was determined to "go out" to speak to the British people. And yet now the image of him looking like a drowned rat while "Things Can Only Get Better" blares in the background will be one of the enduring images of this election campaign.

I don't think for a second Starmer will make the UK magically better, but I do feel a Labour government will improve some aspects. The Tories have been in power for far too long and have ruined so much. I just hope the electorate don't squander this chance to get rid of them.

by Anonymousreply 46May 23, 2024 9:04 AM

[quote] Agreed re The Tories [R41] but you really need a reality check if you think Starmer is going to be much different. Nothing he has said so far shows any intention to reverse the catastrophic damage inflicted by Brexit for example. In July last year Starmer confirmed he would copy Tory tax and spending plans if elected. In May last year he refused to commit to immediately ripping up the protest arrest law. The man is a Tory in all but name.

We left the European Union by referendum and the decision was ratified in 2019. I neither backed Brexit nor voted Tory but I accept the decision because I’m not a democrat, unlike Trump.

In 1997 Blair and Brown were attacked for copying Tory spending plans and then attacked for deviating from them and investing massively in public services.

Starmer is clearly not a conservative and he knows there are limits as to what a Labour government can do. Falling into the trap of pledging to reverse every bad Tory law when there are more important policies to develop is sensible.

by Anonymousreply 47May 23, 2024 9:06 AM

R45 Indeed. All the jokes have been rolling in... Drowning Street, Things Can Only Get Wetter, etc.

Also I've noticed posts from friends who rarely (if ever) get political mocking it - particularly, as you point out, his fond reminiscing of a pandemic. He's so woefully out of touch.

by Anonymousreply 48May 23, 2024 9:07 AM

This morning Sunak framed Drowning Street as his being a come rain or come shine kind of guy: a guy who will face down any challenges to get his message across.

Quite canny in its way in the week Sunak's nine-figure personal fortune was confirmed. I can get caught in heavy rain too, just like you! Still though, he has four houses plus No.10 and Chequers in which to dry off, so the bonding only goes so far.

by Anonymousreply 49May 23, 2024 9:13 AM

[quote][R37] The minister on the train was the particularly awful Johnny Mercer. A former army officer who has made many claims about helping veterans only for some of said veterans to very much disagree. He's also prone to getting into Twitter spats. Just recently he called a fellow MP a "moron" on there and, perhaps worse, he took aim at Carol Vorderman for daring to criticise him.

Well Carol Vorderman is an attention seeking opportunistic cunt so being criticised by her isn’t a bad thing.

And in the last week the Corbynite crank news site Joe ran a story about a veteran (who had served in Iran and Iraq) being let down by the veterans service and then they quietly deleted the story when it turned out he wasn’t a veteran. Spoiler: Iran was a giveaway.

But whether Mercer is competent or nice or not he was being attacked for using his laptop in the first class section of a train and taking his shoes off. It was funny when Emily Thornberry was pictured in standard class with her shoes off after her appalling campaign to be Labour leader but she was a comedy figure not a member of the government.

Labour have never been in government with social media. They are going to struggle with the scrutiny and ridicule.

by Anonymousreply 50May 23, 2024 9:31 AM

Carol isn't that bad.

by Anonymousreply 51May 23, 2024 9:33 AM

And virtual Tory r50 seems to forget about Diane Abbott and her Marks and Spencer cocktail can incident.

by Anonymousreply 52May 23, 2024 9:35 AM

R40, do you mean all those doubts when Trump was elected in 2016, so much so that there were recounts and an inquiry? Which found that he did legitimately win, despite what many Democrats were saying (even if Hillary actually won the most votes - that's the kind of thing Americans should be trying to reform, not each side demonising its opponent).

by Anonymousreply 53May 23, 2024 9:46 AM

Oh please no one treated Diane Abbott’s Mojito incident seriously and she was technically breaking the law

by Anonymousreply 54May 23, 2024 9:47 AM

R50 I disagree regarding Carol Vorderman, but even if that were the case, she's not in politics. She was just criticising Mercer because he committed to ending veteran homelessness by the end of 2023 whereas it actually increased during that time.

Instead of replying in a professionally (or ignoring her), he tweeted that she had a "shit lonely life". I mean, regardless of your personal views on Vorderman, it's clearly inappropriate for an MP to say such things to someone who points out out a failed political promise. And, what's more, his angry response just showed she was right which is why he had nothing of value to say in response to her comments.

Mercer was rightly criticised for using his work laptop in public in such a way that it was possible for anyone to read and photograph the screen. I don't work in politics, but even I'm given guidance on not accessing work in a public place if my screen can be viewed. If a minister is so lax with private information it makes you wonder what else he could have inadvertently leaked. He could easily add a privacy screen to his laptop.

If anyone in the Labour government did such a thing I would also criticise them.

by Anonymousreply 55May 23, 2024 10:20 AM

Oh look, another pompous Briton at r50. Groundbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 56May 23, 2024 10:27 AM

Huge boost to Labour with new Scottish First Minister John Swinney backing the dude who tried to defraud the taxpayer of £11k when his work ipad was used stream the Celtic Rangers match when he was on holiday with his kids.

Every SNP candidate will be asked if they back the fraudster or back his suspension. The Labour leaflets will write themselves and the SNP are in such financial shit they can barely afford to campaign.

by Anonymousreply 57May 23, 2024 2:22 PM

I don’t understand how 20% of the British electorate could say, “I’m currently unhappy with my life so I’m going to abandon all of my principles and vote for a different party, one that is diametrically opposed to those principles.” In the U.S., the percentage of swing voters has been half that during the last thirty years. Maybe these swing people don’t have any principles.

by Anonymousreply 58May 23, 2024 2:31 PM

I've visited Dudley, r58. I can.

by Anonymousreply 59May 23, 2024 3:04 PM

R58 You give people too much credit. Many just vote for the same party regardless (without being able to articulate why) whereas others just vote based off personalities and who they "like".

I've seen so many segments on the news where a reporter takes to a High Street to ask the general public who they're going to vote for. It's very rare someone will give what sounds like a sensible reply.

Examples:

"Well, I like Mr Starmer, he seems nice"

"Gonna vote Labour cause they're better than the other lot innit!"

"I ain't voting Labour cause stop the boats!"

"Oh I dunno, love. I probably won't vote at all, nuffin' ever gets better anyway"

by Anonymousreply 60May 23, 2024 3:50 PM

Fucking pinko Corbyn standing as an independent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61May 23, 2024 4:05 PM

[quote] Many just vote for the same party regardless (without being able to articulate why) whereas others just vote based off personalities and who they "like".

Maybe the issue is universal suffrage, or maybe it’s too easy to vote. If there are some minimal barriers to voting that are easily overcome by those who strongly want to participate in the process, it could weed out those who don’t really care about it.

by Anonymousreply 62May 23, 2024 4:20 PM

The EU doesn’t really want the UK back, given they were never truly “in” in the first place. Labour recently, and once again, “ruled out” rejoining.

Article from earlier this month. Good read.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63May 23, 2024 4:22 PM

Corbyn standing as an independent is good for Labour.

Shows Starmer has changed Labour beyond recognition and makes it easier to expel the cranks who support him.

I don’t think he’ll win.

by Anonymousreply 64May 23, 2024 4:31 PM

What would the Conservative Party have to do to turn it around by election day?

by Anonymousreply 65May 23, 2024 5:58 PM

slap faces viciously

by Anonymousreply 66May 23, 2024 5:59 PM

I haven’t got much hope for squeaky voiced Starmer.

by Anonymousreply 67May 23, 2024 8:13 PM

Well, I don't hold any ANY hope for corrupt, condescending, tetchy, posh braying ass-voiced Sunak.

by Anonymousreply 68May 23, 2024 8:47 PM

I heard some commentary on a podcast about how vicious the Tories will be with personal attacks on Starmer but Labour are going to give as good as they get, going by the crime statistics attacks earlier this year.

The only truce will be Labour and the Lib Dems who need each other to do well.

Brighton Pavilion is going to be enjoyable. Over the previous 4 elections Caroline Lucas won for The Greens with 31%, 41%, 52% and 57%. How much of that was a personal vote and how much of that is party based will be made clea with Sian Berry being picked to fight it despite having no links to Brighton and having resigned her London Assembly seat 3 days after being elected last month. Labour have a local candidate, former Britpop star Tom Gray from Gomez and are back in control of the council.

by Anonymousreply 69May 23, 2024 9:12 PM

[quote] FDR/Truman was 20 years.

Those were the days.

by Anonymousreply 70May 23, 2024 9:23 PM

Today, Rishi kicks off his fail tour by asking a bunch of Welsh people in a brewery if they’re looking forward to the Euro football championship. Wales didn’t qualify.

He also u-turned so of his flagship policies: dropping refugees into Rwanda and banning youth smoking.

He’s clearly trying to lose big and move to California.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71May 23, 2024 10:35 PM

Six more weeks of Rishi among the groundlings, really trying hard to speak human plausibly. Prepare to cringe and chuckle in equal measure.

by Anonymousreply 72May 23, 2024 11:11 PM

I think as long as the government is demanding that people pay income tax then it's not really fair to throw up barriers to voting, r62. I don't really believe that the average person is an idiot and we need to limit voting to those who "deserve" it. You're describing Peter Thiel's worldview. A more sensible solution would be to introduce more of civics classes in schools and also teach people how to identify misinformation.

by Anonymousreply 73May 24, 2024 1:37 AM

Starmer is on breakfast TV just now.

He looks terrified, like a lamb caught in the headlights, no charisma at all. I can’t believe that after all these years he is the best the Labour Party has to offer. Fuck it, I am going away in a couple of weeks for the rest of the summer so will miss the whole thing, I will use that as an excuse not to vote. By the time I return to London it will all be done and dusted.

by Anonymousreply 74May 24, 2024 7:05 AM

Boris Johnson had charisma. That didn’t work out to well.

Starmer has his flaws but I’d rather have a dull Prime Minister over an incompetent one.

by Anonymousreply 75May 24, 2024 7:39 AM

Anything that pisses off Angry (formerly) Young Brit works for me.

by Anonymousreply 76May 24, 2024 7:45 AM

The Jeremy Corbyn of my dreams: "I am proficient in Tiger Crane style and I am more than proficient in the exquisite art of the samurai sword"

by Anonymousreply 77May 24, 2024 8:11 AM

[QUOTE] Fuck it, I am going away in a couple of weeks for the rest of the summer so will miss the whole thing, I will use that as an excuse not to vote.

What patriotic spirit. “Ask not what you can do for your country—ask what your country can do for you after you get back from vacation.”

by Anonymousreply 78May 24, 2024 8:19 AM

Holiday, not vacation R78.

But seriously, that arsehole just needs to fix a postal vote.

by Anonymousreply 79May 24, 2024 8:22 AM

Idiots like r74 is why the UK gave itself a 20 year climb out of a hole called Brexit.

by Anonymousreply 80May 24, 2024 8:24 AM

Jeremy Corbyn trending and looking at the support for him so many accounts planning on going to Islington to campaign for him. No Islington residents saying they will vote for him.

As we saw with previous far left campaigns they rarely work. Momentum's "Unseat Boris" campaign resulted in an increased majority for Boris in Uxbridge although it didn't help that Labour's candidate apologised for being a racist himself.

I wonder if the Greens will decide to stand down (around 4000 votes) to help him?

by Anonymousreply 81May 24, 2024 8:54 AM

Labour's definitely starting early. I just had a canvasser at my door.

by Anonymousreply 82May 24, 2024 10:37 AM

R71, that's shocking, bordering on cruel. Doesn't he have people to brief him?

And to the poster who thinks England is going to win the Euros, I have one word: waistcoat.

by Anonymousreply 83May 24, 2024 11:02 AM

Welsh football fans are looking forward to the Euros - they will be supporting anyone but England as they do always.

by Anonymousreply 84May 24, 2024 11:19 AM

"Sir Fear Starmer, The Knight That Won't Fight".

Not sure that's going to stick.

by Anonymousreply 85May 24, 2024 11:48 AM

Can Starmer lead?

by Anonymousreply 86May 24, 2024 11:52 AM

It's about saving face. The economic outlook for the rest of the year is gloomy and whatever bounce he's likely to get from his insane immigration plan will some shortly.

by Anonymousreply 87May 24, 2024 11:55 AM

r86 Well he can't possibly be worse than Rishi or the last 4 Conservative PM's. His only real issue is going to be managing the Israel/Palestine party split.

by Anonymousreply 88May 24, 2024 12:01 PM

R86 Starmer can clearly lead. He took over facing a seeming impossible job to be even competitive in this election.

Yes, he's been helped by the on-going Tory clusterfuck, but he's - quite ruthlessly - decontaminated Labour post-Corbyn, and positioned them as being seen as a safe option. That 20-point lead over the past 12-months doesn't lie.

by Anonymousreply 89May 24, 2024 1:44 PM

Starmer seems like the kind of unflashy person who might actually accomplish something.

by Anonymousreply 90May 24, 2024 1:58 PM

[quote]"Sir Fear Starmer, The Knight That Won't Fight".

Well up to the Mar-a-Lago level of schoolyard wit so popular these past eight years.

by Anonymousreply 91May 24, 2024 2:13 PM

I don't think the UK understands how deep their mess is. It's going to take more than a change in government to fix it, and it's going to take a long time. We all want cool Britannia back, but we need to be prepared for a stagnation similar to the '70s. Their artistic output will continue to be good, as it was then, but the standard of living and overall quality of life will be stagnant.

by Anonymousreply 92May 24, 2024 2:17 PM

There will be fewer Portillo moments, it seems, with guaranteed losers John Redwood and Michael Gove recently announcing they are not standing for re-election. Still, at least there will be Jeremy Hunt, alongside pond-life like Lee Anderson.

by Anonymousreply 93May 24, 2024 6:15 PM

Gove is a serious cunt. I'm thrilled that craven careerist will be out of government.

by Anonymousreply 94May 24, 2024 6:21 PM

So Gove who urged Sunak to opt for the early election by saying 'Who dares wins' now doesn't want to be among the supposed daring winners. I wonder how long he'll have to wait for his elevation to the Lords.

by Anonymousreply 95May 24, 2024 6:33 PM

People like Cokehead Gove and Grey Alien Redwood quitting before we have a chance to humiliate them at the polls just proves that the Tories will never let us have any nice things!

by Anonymousreply 96May 24, 2024 6:38 PM

I hope Rees-Mogg stays so we can witness him in a minority party.

by Anonymousreply 97May 24, 2024 6:50 PM

Gove was one of the few Tories who cared about government delivering improved services. He transformed education and English kids are benefitting from it massively, and it's more impressive when you compare it to how Scotland and Wales have done in the same period. It also helped that Nick Gibb spent 11 of the last 14 years as minister for schools. And look at some of the crap that followed.

PUB QUIZ:

Name all FIVE MPs who served as Secretary Of State for Education between 11th September 2021 and 11th September 2022.

by Anonymousreply 98May 24, 2024 6:52 PM

As a mother, I’m very upset about Dame Angela Leadbetter or whatever her name is standing down.

by Anonymousreply 99May 24, 2024 7:43 PM

Andrea Leadsom is out. I love today.

by Anonymousreply 100May 24, 2024 7:56 PM

Corbyn running as an independent for Islington North. He and his chattering class followers will save the country!

by Anonymousreply 101May 24, 2024 8:16 PM

How very working class.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102May 24, 2024 8:17 PM

R14: It's common knowledge that he's seen depressing numbers for the fall.

by Anonymousreply 103May 24, 2024 9:54 PM

How does one see depressing numbers for what in Britain is actually called autumn so many months in advance, r103? Growth, inflation, job figures can't be calculated before the quarter is over and the data are in. In fact, Rishi announced the election the day that the consumer price index was released because he thought the figure was going to be better than it was and he could then use that as a springboard to launch the Tory campaign. It's not possible to know the actual figures until they are released. Sure, general trends can be identified, but the general trend until the CPI was released this week suggested that interest rates could start being reduced soonish.

A general election has to be called by December, no need to take it right down to the wire. The longer he delayed, the worse the political pressure would be for the Tories.

by Anonymousreply 104May 25, 2024 6:09 AM

The Guardian's Corbyn wing are doing their standard LABOUR ARE AS BAD AS THE TORIES crap. This "analysis" is just a load of twitter talking points cobbled together.

These two lines are just so lazy

[quote]Both non-London southerners, they come from well-paid jobs outside Westminster, Sunak in finance and Starmer in law. SW1 is stuffed with lifers, yet these two only became MPs in 2015, gifted ultra-safe seats and swift promotion to the frontbench.

Grievance, grievance, grievance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105May 25, 2024 8:48 AM

Guardian Opinion needs to move on from the mid-century ways of thinking. They get money from me until they do. Britain desperately needs a left flank that can actually get things done.

by Anonymousreply 106May 25, 2024 9:01 AM

[quote]they come from well-paid jobs outside Westminster

[quote]SW1 is stuffed with lifers, yet these two only became MPs in 2015

Because obviously politics can well do without intelligent MPs capable of earning good salaries outside the Commons. Funny that 'late' entry to politics is used as an attack line - the flip-side is to fault politicians who have never known any professional life outside Westminster, and have no outside experience on which to draw.

by Anonymousreply 107May 25, 2024 9:04 AM

Keir Starmer - attended local school, first in his family to go to university, did a lot of pro bono work for good causes, established own chambers, took huge pay cut to become Director of Public Prosecutions, became an MP in his 50s - CAREERIST

Jeremy Corbyn - attended private and grammar schools, did some oversees teaching, worked for a trade union, elected councillor at 24, and an MP at 34. DECENT ORDINARY POLITICIAN

by Anonymousreply 108May 25, 2024 9:43 AM

"oversees"

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 109May 25, 2024 9:44 AM

Damn auto correct!

by Anonymousreply 110May 25, 2024 9:47 AM

R108 makes an excellent point.

by Anonymousreply 111May 25, 2024 11:43 AM

I'm not British but Charles is our King. I think the Conservatives have to got take a back seat for a while now. Starmer seems ok. Better than some of the garbage we've seen as PM from the Torys over the years. Johnson and what's her name. The lettuce lady. Bunch of twats. The wheels started to come off when Cameron left and fully came off with May's exit.

by Anonymousreply 112May 25, 2024 12:02 PM

Sunak is a gaffe machine on the campaign trail. He asked Welsh voters if they're looking forward to the European football championships. The problem is that Wales didn't qualify.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113May 25, 2024 12:05 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114May 25, 2024 12:09 PM

Belfast stop for his sinking party at the Titanic Museum. I shit you not.

by Anonymousreply 115May 25, 2024 12:13 PM

He didn't visit the "Titanic Museum", r115, he visited the so-called Titanic Quarter, which is a major regeneration project in the UK and a shipbuilding hub. People trying to ridicule him for visiting something with "Titanic" in the name are being ridiculous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116May 25, 2024 12:23 PM

The people who chastise Brexit or Trump supporters for being gullible are very quick to accept fake news about people they don’t like.

And as many people have pointed out Rishi didn’t ask people in Wales if they were looking forward to Wales playing in the Euros, he just asked if they were looking forward to the football, and a lot of people are.

A lot of people were sharing a clearly photoshopped picture of Rishi at Morrisons with his head imposed over the RIS text.

by Anonymousreply 117May 25, 2024 12:32 PM

Those poor, aggrieved Tories. How very dare they

by Anonymousreply 118May 25, 2024 12:35 PM

R117, I am the poster at r116 correcting the misinformation about the Titanic Quarter. I also believe that everyone who voted for the UK to leave the EU is either a gullible moron or genuinely wants to damage the UK.

by Anonymousreply 119May 25, 2024 12:36 PM

And the bottle of Pommery in my fridge will be drunk in celebration of Michael Gove's demise.

by Anonymousreply 120May 25, 2024 12:36 PM

What's 'ridiculous' R119 is Rishi's Comms team not realising what an open goal for satirists visiting anything linked to the Titanic at the start of an election campaign!

You sound as peevish as Liz Truss crying about the lettuce comparison. It's politics. You put your big boy/girl pants on!

by Anonymousreply 121May 25, 2024 12:38 PM

Time to kick those rich Republicans/Tories/ Conservatives out of office.

The UK needs to move to replace the House of Lords.

by Anonymousreply 122May 25, 2024 12:51 PM

[quote]What's 'ridiculous' [R119] is Rishi's Comms team not realising what an open goal for satirists visiting anything linked to the Titanic at the start of an election campaign!

I don't see Sunak visiting the largest regeneration project in Northern Ireland as a gaffe, regardless of its name, but then I didn't think Ed Miliband's sandwich was of any interest.

I have more of a problem with the photo issued by the Tory campaign of a woman handing Sunak an umbrella being used by the media today without making clear it's a planted photo.

by Anonymousreply 123May 25, 2024 12:55 PM

Britain goes to the polls on 4 July, but one issue not on any politician’s lips is the country’s relations with the Land of the Free. Angus Hanton’s Vassal State: How America Runs Britain is the latest book to break this Westminster taboo, doing for business studies what Tom Stevenson’s Someone Else’s Empire recently did for foreign affairs. The book is a statistical barrage documenting the very high proportion of UK corporate assets owned by US multinationals, private equity and big tech. Parliamentarians who fulminate about China’s TikTok and Huawei may be barking up the wrong tree, it seems.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124May 25, 2024 2:07 PM

Both governing parties have propounded what Vassal States calls the ‘big lie’ of conflating corporate takeovers with genuinely useful foreign direct investment. Vassal State links this ideological disposition toward FDI to the intimacy of senior politicians with US firms, noting their revolving-door job appointments. On leaving office Blair and Brown were hired as advisers to JP Morgan and Pimco respectively, Cameron worked for payments processor First Data of Atlanta and biotech firm Illumnia of San Diego, and George Osborne was taken on by BlackRock. Rishi Sunak, alum of Stanford Business School, ex of Goldman Sachs, was only reluctantly parted from his Green Card. Britain’s leaders ‘have been coopted into the American machinery of influence and have rarely, if ever, questioned its growing dominance’.

Blame for weak corporate governance ultimately lies with a supine, and self-interested, political class.

by Anonymousreply 125May 25, 2024 2:07 PM

I keep getting Rishis YouTube advert and the only part I hear before I click skip is "the corona virus has hit Britain". Who in the party came up with the idea that immediately reminding people of the Tory parties actions in that era including unnecessary deaths, Downing Street parties, their mates getting rich, not to mention Rishis own role in the ultimate disaster Eat out to Help Out was being a vote winner with anyone?

by Anonymousreply 126May 25, 2024 2:16 PM

[quote]what an open goal for satirists visiting anything linked to the Titanic at the start of an election campaign!

Specially as 'Private Eye' not unpredictably featured the doomed ship on its cover, following the Tories' disastrous recent local election results. And then that No.10 drenching. And now Gove and Leadsom declining to remain aboard, making 77 Tories who want to spend more time not associating with electoral catastrophe. I have no doubt that Sunak is, to quote Liz Truss, 'A fighter not a quitter', but look what happened to her.

by Anonymousreply 127May 25, 2024 2:19 PM

Rishi doesn't seem particularly heterosexual to me.

Do UK dataloungers agree with me?

by Anonymousreply 128May 25, 2024 2:21 PM

His sexual orientation is money.

by Anonymousreply 129May 25, 2024 2:26 PM

[quote]Rishi doesn't seem particularly heterosexual to me. Do UK dataloungers agree with me?

Do you know any British Indian men in their mid 40s? He's a privately educated southerner.

He's posh, not gay.

by Anonymousreply 130May 25, 2024 2:47 PM

There are rumours about why Rishi has held on to the flat in Earls Court he bought when he was a student.

I'll leave it there.

by Anonymousreply 131May 25, 2024 2:50 PM

He bought a flat in London when he was a student in Oxford, r131?

by Anonymousreply 132May 25, 2024 3:28 PM

Yes. Allegedly, he likes to 'entertain' there.

In PMQs a few weeks ago, Starmer made a rather oblique reference as to why Sunak hangs on to it - it was in response to Sunak trying to pile on Angela Rayner about her Council House sale. Sunak looked like a deer in the headlights.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133May 25, 2024 3:41 PM

[quote]And the bottle of Pommery in my fridge will be drunk in celebration of Michael Gove's demise.

You may as well add an eight-ball so you can celebrate in true Gove style.

by Anonymousreply 134May 25, 2024 3:48 PM

R133 now that’s some decent goss!

by Anonymousreply 135May 25, 2024 3:51 PM

I don't know much about him, but I've never liked the looks of him. Smarmy guy married to a super wealthy woman - and who would seemingly trade his entire people for money and votes.

That's the vibe I get. Blech.

People ask why the fuck the US voted for Trump - but what the hell, UK? The past 13 years they've literally lit your country on fire - and they still get votes?

by Anonymousreply 136May 25, 2024 3:51 PM

R136 It's for the same reasons Trump and the GOP still get so many votes in the US: about 25-33% of the UK electorate is parochial, backward-looking, and prioritise shitting on minorities - especially immigrants - over their own economic well-being. They'll vote Tory (or an even more right wing alternative) come Hell or high water.

by Anonymousreply 137May 25, 2024 3:59 PM

You can't rationalise Tory support without commenting on what the alternative was. Ed Miliband? Jeremy Corbyn? Two complete imbeciles.

by Anonymousreply 138May 25, 2024 4:08 PM

So, r133, Sunak used to pop down to this flat in London to have gay sex at weekends when he was a student at Oxford? Seems rather elaborate. Why not just hang out with the gays at Oxford?

It's not goss, r135, it's fantasy. Sunak did not buy the flat as a student, but when he was living and working in London after graduating from Oxford.

by Anonymousreply 139May 25, 2024 4:22 PM

R139 bore off. He’s never going to “hang out” with the gays. Shame-filled, quickies in the privacy of his little flat - that I can see.

by Anonymousreply 140May 25, 2024 4:25 PM

The tweet linked at R133 is from an absolutely mental crack whore who tweets a load of shite.

by Anonymousreply 141May 25, 2024 4:43 PM

By "see", r140, you of course mean see in your mind's imagination.

by Anonymousreply 142May 25, 2024 4:46 PM

R142 well obviously Rish!’s little buddy 🙄.

by Anonymousreply 143May 25, 2024 5:01 PM

Sunak always did the embarrassed fake smile when Starmer at PMQs alluded to his property holdings and wealth. Totally Sunaks's achilles heel when he tried to portray himself as being in touch with the problems of ordinary people.

I doubt Mr Perfect would compromise his ascent with any sexual exploration, but imagination will always flourish. Meanwhile, Starmer has his slam-dunk on Sunak's otherworldly wealth to allude to in the TV debates. Prepare to hear for the thousandth time that Sunak once worked in his mother's pharmacy.

by Anonymousreply 144May 25, 2024 6:13 PM

Sunak's excessive wealth comes through marriage. He comes from a fairly ordinary middle class background.

His parents were immigrants to the UK as children and like a lot of British Indians worked in health. Apparently his parents tried to get him into Winchester on a scholarship and when he didn't get one they took on extra work to pay for the fees, and did the same for his younger brother. Not sure where their sister went to school.

His parents were ambitious for him. Yes he has become entitled and shielded from ordinary life because of his life experiences but he did not grow up in excessive wealth any more than Diane Abbott's son did. He is nowhere near the same level of posh as Cameron or Osborne.

by Anonymousreply 145May 25, 2024 7:04 PM

[quote]European elections are two weeks from now as well and it's looking like the right-wingers will be able to form a majority in the European Parliament for the first time ever. So that sucks.

It's all about immigration. Period.

by Anonymousreply 146May 25, 2024 7:07 PM

Didn't Sunak say a few years ago that he didn't know any working-class people?

by Anonymousreply 147May 25, 2024 7:09 PM

[quote]Didn't Sunak say a few years ago that he didn't know any working-class people?

This alone makes him an honorary Datalounger.

by Anonymousreply 148May 25, 2024 7:12 PM

[Quote] I’ve been a Black Muslim for 30 years, I’m excited to see Sharia law will happen soon in the UK. These straight white Christians need to hang it up, the nasty Karen ass women too. They been abusing the power forever. We built these nations, time to control them right.

R16 the Sharia law you embrace will require your gay, self-hating dumb ass to be thrown off the nearest roof. Not a moment too soon too.

by Anonymousreply 149May 25, 2024 7:31 PM

R149: You're dumb enough to believe this is a legit post?

by Anonymousreply 150May 25, 2024 7:46 PM

R150 Gays for Palestine, for example, makes it more than possible it's not a parody post.

by Anonymousreply 151May 25, 2024 9:24 PM

[quote]It's for the same reasons Trump and the GOP still get so many votes in the US: about 25-33% of the UK electorate is parochial, backward-looking, and prioritise shitting on minorities - especially immigrants - over their own economic well-being. They'll vote Tory (or an even more right wing alternative) come Hell or high water.

A question for anyone familiar with UK politics. Do the Tories have a faction that, in addition to the things quoted, have fallen off the turnip truck of sanity by embracing crackpot 'QAnon' or 'Deep State' style conspiracy theories the way the GOP has?

by Anonymousreply 152May 26, 2024 1:40 AM

Interesting that a billionaire's daughter married someone from relatively modest means. Was there snobbery on the part of her parents?

by Anonymousreply 153May 26, 2024 2:19 AM

[quote]A question for anyone familiar with UK politics. Do the Tories have a faction that, in addition to the things quoted, have fallen off the turnip truck of sanity by embracing crackpot 'QAnon' or 'Deep State' style conspiracy theories the way the GOP has?

That would be the Liz Truss element who are convinced there was a plot to bring her down and oppose her radical policies. There was also a camp led by Nadine Dorries who concocted a plot to bring down Boris Johnson, which he did himself with his dishonesty and rule breaking.

But they are a small element and not overly representative. The more imaginative cranks have left the Tories.

There's also the cranks and nutters on the left of the Labour Party who are convinced the deep state stopped Corbyn from becoming Prime Minister. And there are a lot of people who think THE JEWS conspired to stop Jeremy from becoming PM which is why #itwasascam regularly trends on Twitter.

by Anonymousreply 154May 26, 2024 6:55 AM

One thing that's an absolute breath of fresh air is the 6 week election period.

The US election period begins afresh as soon as the new President is inaugurated and runs the entire presidency. It's fucking boring.

by Anonymousreply 155May 26, 2024 7:25 AM

The SNP are now pledging that July 4th is Independence Day and if they "win the election" then the Scottish Government will start negotiating independence with Westminster.

"Winning the election" presumably means the SNP getting more than half of the 57 seats in Scotland, which is incentive for people to vote the candidate most likely to beat the SNP.

Labour won't believe their luck.

by Anonymousreply 156May 26, 2024 1:45 PM

He may have lost his mind.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157May 26, 2024 1:47 PM

The "National Service for all 18 year olds" is a fag packet policy along the lines of Labour's "free broadband" policy from the last election.

Beyond embarrassing that the details haven't been made clear.

by Anonymousreply 158May 26, 2024 1:54 PM

Mary! me all you want but I felt quite emotional reading this statement from Labour candidate Roh Yakobi who came to the UK as a child refugee from Afghanistan.

[quote]Overwhelmed by your responses. Thank you!

[quote]There have been a few tears. Have been thinking of the village and the punishing lives its people had. Of my mother, who lived the most tragic life and whose burial place I don't know. Of my father who fought the Soviets and then the Taliban, and sacrificed so much. Of my little brother who died in front of me of hunger under Taliban blockade.

[quote]Of that July 1999 day the Taliban came after me, the cell, the torture. Of running away and struggling to protect myself in Pakistan and Iran. Of the sweatshops, factories and building sites.

[quote]Of Britain, this wonderful, great country of ours, which I owe so much to. Of the @UKLabour I joined the day I became a British citizen in 2010.

[quote]Hugged my wife and kids and we wept together. I am ready to serve, ready to pay the debt I owe to our country.

[quote]Ready, with your support, to turn #TheWrekin red.

[quote]Please join my campaign. #VoteRoh #VoteLabour

The Wreckin constituency has been Tory since 2005 but was Labour for 18 years before then. He has a good chance of winning.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159May 26, 2024 2:08 PM

[quote]There was also a camp led by Nadine Dorries who concocted a plot to bring down Boris Johnson, which he did himself with his dishonesty and rule breaking.

I'm confused, did Dorries lead a plot to bring him down or did she push the idea that there *was* a plot? I was under the impression she'd be the last person in government to abandon Boris but I'm just a dumb American.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160May 26, 2024 2:08 PM

Even the commentators at the Mail and Express think this idea is loopy. EVEN the wingnut viewers of GB News think it's bonkers (a viewers' poll found only 20% support for it).

by Anonymousreply 161May 26, 2024 2:10 PM

[quote]I'm confused, did Dorries lead a plot to bring him down or did she push the idea that there *was* a plot? I was under the impression she'd be the last person in government to abandon Boris but I'm just a dumb American.

Sorry, I wasn't clear - Dorries fantasised about there being a plot to bring down Boris when he left office because he was wholly unsuited to being PM.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162May 26, 2024 2:36 PM

Nadine Dorries is the Marjorie Taylor Greene of Britain.

by Anonymousreply 163May 26, 2024 2:39 PM

Some good news for Rishi - his football team Southampton have just been promoted to the Premier League.

by Anonymousreply 164May 26, 2024 4:10 PM

Nadine Dorries is the Pound Shop version of Majorie Taylor Greene.

by Anonymousreply 165May 26, 2024 4:12 PM

And MTG is already a Kmart Sarah Palin!

by Anonymousreply 166May 26, 2024 4:13 PM

Kmart? Family Dollar.

by Anonymousreply 167May 26, 2024 4:15 PM

Stop running down my Kmart joke you booger!

by Anonymousreply 168May 26, 2024 4:24 PM

As awful as Nadine Dorries is, I'd argue Claudia Webbe is the UK's MTG

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169May 26, 2024 4:33 PM

Why are we sending morons to our respective legislatures?

by Anonymousreply 170May 26, 2024 4:42 PM

Cleverly absolutely dire on the Sunday politics shows. So obvious they haven't thought through any of the details of this National Service scheme.

The only demographic that wants it - over 60s Boomers - are already voting Tory - it'll switch off young voters and their parents. I can't see many Reform voters switching on this alone -particularly when its clear Rwanda flights are probably now never happening.

Typical Tory Omnishambles.

by Anonymousreply 171May 26, 2024 4:48 PM

[quote]Why are we sending morons to our respective legislatures?

The candidates are picked by the party. In some cases the local party members who they want to represent them and in some cases they are imposed by the party leadership on grounds of loyalty.

Some MPs are local to the areas they represent and some have no link at all - see Eddie Izzard's attempts to become the candidate for Sheffield and then Brighton.

Claudia Webbe was a Corbyn loyalist and has since been expelled from the party for her criminal conviction and will lose her seat at the election. In 2019 several Corbyn loyalists were picked from safe seats and have been revealed to be idiots and the scale of Boris Johnson's victory meant the Tories ended up with some fucking weird MPs like car crash tranny Jamie Wallis, sex pest Rob Roberts, god botherer Scott Benton, Jonathan Gullis etc.

by Anonymousreply 172May 26, 2024 5:13 PM

One enjoyable part of the Tory plan is twitter is dredging up the most random forgotten old comedy clips in response to the new conscription manifesto.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173May 27, 2024 3:47 AM

Angela Rayner will have no further police action. Nice try, Tories.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174May 28, 2024 3:11 PM

I'm hoping Angela goes full Carrie after the GE - eviscerating scumbags like James 'The Mekon' Daly, Dan Hodges. and Tory Propagandist and Cuntress-In-Chief, Laura Kuennesberg.

by Anonymousreply 175May 28, 2024 3:19 PM

[quote]Angela Rayner will have no further police action. Nice try, Tories.

Exasperation in editorial meetings at The Daily Express and The Daily Mail.

by Anonymousreply 176May 28, 2024 3:30 PM

First polls out still showing significant Labour lead.

Survation have Labour 47% Tories 23% Lib Dem 11% Reform 8%

Redfield and Wilton have Labour on 46% Tories 23% Reform 13% Lib Dem 11%

Best PM has Starmer on 45% Sunak on 26%, Sunak disapproval rating down to -19% and only 46% of Tory voters from 2019 would stick with the party. Labour leads every age group. Amongst undecided voters Tories lead Labour by 1%.

It isn't going to get better.

by Anonymousreply 177May 28, 2024 4:35 PM

Amused to see great political sage Nigel Farage speak live today on behalf of Reform. His vigorous presentation took it as absolute fact that Labour would win, so why waste a vote for the Tories when Reform could benefit.

Maybe he isn't quite so confident about the result of the US election. He confirmed that later in the year he'd cross the Atlantic to offer vocal support for his friend Trump. Who would in his considered opinion make the world a safer place.

by Anonymousreply 178May 28, 2024 4:53 PM

Sporting legend Rob Burrow is publicly backing Labour, specifically Yvette Cooper.

Looks like Diane Abbott won't be a Labour candidate this election. I have no sympathy for her, total crank who blamed Russia invading Ukraine on NATO. Now would be a good time to retire, she'll have time to deal with her dependency on alcohol and visit her son more in the psychiatric hospital he's currently resting in.

by Anonymousreply 179May 28, 2024 6:06 PM

You're a total cunt, r179.

by Anonymousreply 180May 28, 2024 6:35 PM

Nah, I'm not a total cunt, just a bit of one.

Either you pity Diane Abbott for what she has become or you hold her accountable. The woman who criticised other politicians for sending their kids to selective schools and then sent her son to a private school. And who later wanted to abolish private schools.

And her stance on anti Jewish racism in Labour was disgusting, using the racism she has experienced throughout her career as a shield to protect her ex boyfriend from scrutiny of his lifelong hostility to Jews.

by Anonymousreply 181May 28, 2024 6:56 PM

And you taking the piss out of her son's mental health makes you pond life.

by Anonymousreply 182May 28, 2024 6:58 PM

Abbott has repeatedly denigrated the police for their actions yet when was locked in her bathroon with her son banging on the door trying to attack her it was the police who came to her assistance and risked being attacked in the process.

And during the last general election campaign she took legal action to stop reporting of one of her son’s arrests.

by Anonymousreply 183May 28, 2024 7:13 PM

Classic British deflection.

by Anonymousreply 184May 28, 2024 7:42 PM

Abbott has been readmitted to the Labour party -not clear if she will be the election candidate yet, though

by Anonymousreply 185May 28, 2024 8:11 PM

Hideous ‘debate’ about this on Newsnight. Abbott is clearly briefing Victoria Derbyshire who does the ‘but she’s a black woman!’ low expectation excuse. The Labour guy handled the questions as well as anyone could and didn’t snap back ‘why don’t you ask her yourself’.

Abbott has also like a tweet from Jeremy Corbyn’s current wife about Corbyn standing as an independent which is against Labour rules.

Abbott wants to cause maximum trouble for Starmer like she did for Kinnock, Smith, Blair, Brown and Miliband. It’s her schtick.

by Anonymousreply 186May 28, 2024 9:58 PM

While Abbott swans around sans weave avec turban Labour is taking out the rest of the trash.

The dreadful gay Lloyd Russell Moyle who is a horrid racist and misogynist is unable to stand again - he's the one who said JK Rowling was exploiting being a victim of sexual assault. He's behaved appallingly towards women in the House of Commons. A ginger Jonathan Gullis.

And Islamist Faiza Shaheen is on the cusp of being suspended. Her defeat in 2019 was almost as funny as Laura Piddlecock.

by Anonymousreply 187May 29, 2024 6:39 PM

UGH

BBC have moved Question Time forward to 8pm AND it's a cunt double with Nigel Garage AND Piers Morgan but NO Lib Dems or Greens which just isn't on.

by Anonymousreply 188May 30, 2024 7:02 PM

Nigel Garage is back in the room baby!

He's more of a drama queen than Diane Abbott with his will he won't he shenanigans.

by Anonymousreply 189June 3, 2024 3:34 PM

Farage's press conference announcing his run said how dull the campaign was so far, saying he's the man to galvanise the mood. He's a vigorous provocative speaker - if he debates Sunak and Starmer on TV he'll really go for it, seizing his big new spotlight moment. It'll stand him in good stead with his friend and inspiration Trump, whom he's certain will win in November.

by Anonymousreply 190June 3, 2024 4:33 PM

Farage seems most likely to take votes from the Tories.

by Anonymousreply 191June 3, 2024 4:37 PM

[quote]He's a vigorous provocative speaker - if he debates Sunak and Starmer on TV he'll really go for it,

Farage has nothing new to say. People who like his message like his message.

And there will be no opportunity to see Farage spar with Sunak or Starmer. They are doing 3 head to head debates.

There are two debates with representatives from 7 parties (Tory, Labour, Lib Dem, Green, Reform/UKIP, Plaid, SNP) but Sunak and Starmer are stepping down for those. Angela Rayner and Penny Mordaunt will take part for the first one. Boris Johnson and Jeremy Corbyn also skipped those format debates in 2019. Boris sent Rishi Sunak and Corbyn sent the dazzling talents of Rebecca Long Bailey (remember her?) and Richard Burgon.

The choice of Penny Mordaunt could be linked to her being one of the cabinet members at risk of losing her seat.

by Anonymousreply 192June 3, 2024 5:42 PM

Just realised the Clacton constituency has been served by Tory MP Giles Watling, formerly an actor best known for playing the proddy vicar in long forgotten sitcom Bread.

by Anonymousreply 193June 3, 2024 9:07 PM

Farage had a drink thrown on him when he announced his candidacy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194June 4, 2024 2:36 PM

The woman who threw it has been arrested. Good. I'd support a short prison sentence for people assaulting politicians, even if they are as repugnant as Farage, Corbyn or Galloway.

by Anonymousreply 195June 4, 2024 3:01 PM

R195 = Priti Patel

by Anonymousreply 196June 4, 2024 3:06 PM

Yeah, I'd condemn female politicians being assaulted as well, be they Priti Patel or Diane Abbott.

by Anonymousreply 197June 4, 2024 3:34 PM

You'd have been lousy when we were all dying with your prissy tone policing, r197. And it's not limited.to this drink-throwing nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 198June 4, 2024 3:37 PM

"When we were all dying"?

WTAF are you on about?

by Anonymousreply 199June 4, 2024 3:41 PM

I rest my case.

by Anonymousreply 200June 4, 2024 4:27 PM

R194 If only there was a good guy with a gun around to stop the drink thrower, he'd still be bone dry.

by Anonymousreply 201June 4, 2024 6:38 PM

Looks like the milkshake thrower was the girlfriend of the Reform Party's Press Officer - recently seen draped over Farage.

It was a publicity stunt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202June 4, 2024 6:47 PM

No it wasn't R202. A few Twitter accounts saw a youngish blond woman with big tits and thought it was Emily Hewetson or whatever her name was, something she denied immediately. The tweet you linked to has been deleted.

The woman arrested is an OnlyFans model and looking at the her OF pictures she's a dab hand with the make up brush and filters. Fantastic publicity for her anyhow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203June 4, 2024 7:01 PM

Tetchy ratfaced LIAR, Rishi Sunak, busted for leaving 80th D-Day Anniversary commemorations to do a political interview with ITV's Paul Brand.

It's all kicking off. It will be HILARIOUS watching pompous 'Poop Deck' Penny (Mordaunt) having to try and defend this in front of Farage this evening.

Polls yesterday showing Tories sinking to within a point or two of Reform. This could send them under.

by Anonymousreply 204June 7, 2024 5:02 AM

Hilarious that Sunak opted to do some trivial interview rather than remain at such a momentous international occasion. Where Starmer was seen in deep conversation with Zelensky.

Plenty of adverse comment about Sunak's shrill and tetchy manner at Starmer during the TV debate. The PM will never not look like a cocky public schoolboy convinced he knows best.

by Anonymousreply 205June 7, 2024 5:26 AM

And there’s still 27 days to go

by Anonymousreply 206June 7, 2024 6:55 AM

And look who's back bitches!

It's Leicester's finest LGBTQ politician and washing machine enthusiast Keith "you just lost the Keith Vaz game" Vaz.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207June 7, 2024 10:15 AM

As many people have pointed out, this is the Gillian Duffy moment for Sunak. So totally awks I almost feel sorry for him. Such a stupid and pointless decision.

I had my polling card through today. REMEMBER TO TAKE PHOTO ID.

by Anonymousreply 208June 7, 2024 10:56 AM

I can't believe Sunak thought there was any way this would end well for him. Is he deliberately self-sabotaging? Is he bored of being prime minister? The absolute bare minimum you should be able to expect from the prime minister on the 80th anniversary of D-Day is that they don't leave the commemorations early.

by Anonymousreply 209June 7, 2024 12:24 PM

R116, Sunak should have had the sense to realise that visiting the Titanic Quarter while wearing a lifejacket shortly after announcing a general election he's likely to lose was catnip for meme-makers.

by Anonymousreply 210June 7, 2024 12:26 PM

It is a level of own goal you struggle to comprehend how it happened. Even taking out respect for what those soldiers did. It was the worlds easiest photo op. Royals and world leaders all gathered together in a show of solidarity, unproblematic reminder of Britain's past and role as a world power... And Sunak does a runner.

by Anonymousreply 211June 7, 2024 12:35 PM

[quote]It’s only 14 years

Yes, because there's a huge fucking difference between 14 and 15 to merit an "only". Get the fuck out of here, you dunce.

by Anonymousreply 212June 7, 2024 12:45 PM

It's the sort of decision the recently Convicted Felon would have made, it's that bad. Sunak's apology this morning acknowledges that. The photo of Biden, Macron, Scholz and...Lord Cameron (did he need to make apologies?) won't fade any time soon.

Meanwhile, Nigel Farage has won the lottery for the live TV debate tonight.

by Anonymousreply 213June 7, 2024 1:06 PM

Too rich to give a shit about D-Day-The British Trump

by Anonymousreply 214June 7, 2024 1:46 PM

Tonight’s prediction:

Tories will be attacked by everyone but will focus main attack on Farage.

Main attack on Labour will come from SNP & Plaid & Green. Stephen Flynn will try to being Gaza up as often as possible.

Lib Dems will lay off Labour attacks.

It is pointless having SNP and Plaid there when they’re not standing in seats outside of their own areas.

by Anonymousreply 215June 7, 2024 2:18 PM

Sunak's 'apology' this morning was atrocious. Robotically repeating his rehearsed line in that grating sing-song patrician voice. Drippingt with entitlement and insincerity.

Ad,, of course, that idiotic blow-hard, Johnny Mercer, makes the situation even worse by accusing anyone offended as being guilty of 'faux outrage'. He's the motherfucking Veteran's Affairs Minister...

by Anonymousreply 216June 7, 2024 4:01 PM

Sunak must know he's losing. He probably just wanted to be PM for the prestige of it in his career.

by Anonymousreply 217June 7, 2024 4:20 PM

I can't remember who wrote it but there was an article this week about how both Sunak and Starmer have benefitted from the chaos.

Sunak would ordinarily had a steady progression as a politician but thanks to Tory drama since Brexit he was promoted ahead of schedule and then found himself dealing with Covid. Had Johnson not been so successful in driving the normal Tories out and getting so many to stand down in 2019 Sunak would have been able to build up the experience and had a few government jobs in different departments before taking on the leadership.

And the same with Starmer. He was elected as an MP in 2015 and became leader in 2020. He only got his job in the shadow cabinet because so many others refused to serve under Corbyn. He's clearly a decent guy and a massive improvement to the previous two dickheads who led the party but under Blair he would have had a cabinet role in justice or attorney general. His response to the private healthcare question grated on me. He doesn't have great instincts.

There's a difference between being good at politics and good at governing. Sunak was good at both during Covid but since then has been on the slide. Starmer will be better at governing than he is the politics but with a big majority he may get some time to improve.

by Anonymousreply 218June 7, 2024 4:43 PM

The fucking prick is now laughing at a heckler's joke taking the piss out of 'lazy' GPs.

He is utterly clueless!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219June 7, 2024 6:24 PM

Oh yes, I forgot to say the men (Flynn and ap Iorwerth) need to be careful how they speak to the women, Rayner and Mordaunt in particular. They're both used to tearing strips of other men and get very pompous and patronising.

Farage won't care if he insults anyone.

by Anonymousreply 220June 7, 2024 6:33 PM

Not keen on Green woman constantly looking down to check her notes when speaking

by Anonymousreply 221June 7, 2024 6:40 PM

Sunak looks like a giant dwarf-out of proportion-hidious. How did DL ever have that thread about how sexy he is and what a big dick he must have. It’s probably mishapen and discolored.

by Anonymousreply 222June 7, 2024 6:52 PM

He’s not had to campaign before given how he became Prime Minister and it shows. He also can’t hide his true colours.

by Anonymousreply 223June 7, 2024 7:46 PM

GPs are enormously overworked and that woman in R219's clip is correct, you struggle to see an actual Dr because they are swamped with patients.

We pay our taxes to keep the NHS afloat and it's gone to hell. You have to book months in advance to see a dentist as well these days.

by Anonymousreply 224June 7, 2024 8:06 PM

That debate was painful. Starmer won’t last long. The Left can’t stand him. We’ll be right back under Tory rule like always before you know it.

by Anonymousreply 225June 7, 2024 8:30 PM

Mordaunt was terrible during the debate: bossy, strident and rude, droning out her tabloid mantras. An apt symbol for her party, ever more deep in failure.

by Anonymousreply 226June 7, 2024 8:31 PM

Let's view my predictions

[quote]Tories will be attacked by everyone but will focus main attack on Farage.

I was wrong - Penny ignored Farage and focused all her fire on Angela

[quote]Main attack on Labour will come from SNP & Plaid & Green. Stephen Flynn will try to being Gaza up as often as possible.

Spot on - Gaza didn't come up but trying to portray Labour as right wing as the Tories is all they have

[quote]Lib Dems will lay off Labour attacks.

I don't think Daisy Daisy criticised Labour once

by Anonymousreply 227June 7, 2024 8:36 PM

You struggle to see an actual doctor because of the centralised, inflexible nature of the NHS, r224. Unfortunately, no UK political party is willing to make the right reforms in this area.

by Anonymousreply 228June 8, 2024 12:29 PM

R228 no doubt that contributes too, mismanagement is rife with so much emphasis on paperwork but there simply aren't enough new doctors to cover the ever-increasing and aging population

by Anonymousreply 229June 8, 2024 12:36 PM

Of course there aren't enough doctors, r229 - who would want to work in that system?

I spend a lot of time in Greece and there I can find any doctor I want, with whatever speciality I want, practically whenever and wherever I want. 50 euros for a first meeting if you don't go via your "personal doctor" (which few people do, because it's a bureaucratic waste of time). The specialist doctor can then give you a referral for further meetings and treatment, which means the Greek NHS pays for it (although the patient may have to pay 1-2 euros for some stuff).

Trying to fund a health system via general tax rather than personal social insurance is never going to work.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 230June 8, 2024 12:46 PM

[quote]Trying to fund a health system via general tax rather than personal social insurance is never going to work.

Funny it worked fairly well for over 60 years til the Conservatives came to power

by Anonymousreply 231June 8, 2024 1:03 PM

[quote]Funny it worked fairly well for over 60 years til the Conservatives came to power

The NHS turned 60 in 2008, so are you saying the NHS worked well between 1979 and 1997 when Thatcher and Major were Prime Minister?

I work in the NHS and it ranges between excellent - my mother had breast cancer a few years ago - and abysmal - I've been trying to get a diagnosis for an issue and the GP referral has been rejected by 3 different departments who insist one of the other departments should deal with it.

The way the NHS is treated as a religion by some politicians is ridiculous. When Wes Streeting pledges to buy X number of private operations for NHS patients on waiting lists he's accused of wanting to privatise the service. No, he's improving the lives of people who can't afford to jump the queue.

I hate the way when anyone suggests reform they're told "OH SO YOU WANT AN AMERICAN STYLE HEALTHCARE SYSTEM DO YOU". No, but I don't think the French, German, Swedish, Israeli, Jamaican, Australian, Canadian health systems are all terrible.

by Anonymousreply 232June 8, 2024 1:45 PM

Exactly when was this period that it worked well, r231? The Conservatives have been in power for most of the NHS's existence, so according to you for most of the NHS's existence it hasn't worked well. And it has problems even when Labour is in power. The problems are structural and conceptual, but, as r232 points out, any attempt to reform it are hysterically responded to "OH SO YOU WANT AN AMERICAN STYLE HEALTHCARE SYSTEM DO YOU", as though no other country has a successful public health system that works differently from that of the UK.

by Anonymousreply 233June 8, 2024 2:10 PM

Starmer is just so boring and has zero charisma. He actually looks terrified when he speaks.

by Anonymousreply 234June 8, 2024 2:26 PM

Labour left the NHS in as good a condition as it's ever been when they left office in 2010.

by Anonymousreply 235June 8, 2024 2:59 PM

The mood of the country is clearly for competence and 'no drama' - Starmer fits the moment.

If you want entertainment, go to the circus.

by Anonymousreply 236June 8, 2024 3:16 PM

R232 don't be obtuse, I clearly meant the last Conservative government since 2010. Before then it was far from perfect but at least waiting lists weren't out of control, you could get a GP appointment without moving mountains and the system wasn't such a bureaucracy riddled with red tape and middle managers

by Anonymousreply 237June 8, 2024 3:35 PM

[quote]Starmer is just so boring and has zero charisma.

This is Farage's line, and he sounds adolescent when he says it. 'Blair without flair' was his would-be zinger last night. Yet Farage also trumpets how Labour has it in the bag, it's only opposition we now need to discuss. And who turned an unelectable party in '19 into one with a commanding lead in '24? Solid capability doesn't need charisma. Pseudo-showbiz values in politics have proved disastrous.

by Anonymousreply 238June 8, 2024 4:11 PM

[quote][R232] don't be obtuse, I clearly meant the last Conservative government since 2010. Before then it was far from perfect but at least waiting lists weren't out of control, you could get a GP appointment without moving mountains and the system wasn't such a bureaucracy riddled with red tape and middle managers

But the narrative was that Thatcher and Major ruined the NHS and brought it to the brink of collapse in a deliberate attempt to privatise it.

Labour massively improved the NHS between 1997 and 2010 but did so with the help of PPI and ruthless targets. The Mid Staffs scandal was entirely predictable.

Between 2001 and 2006 I had regular check ups with the Haematology department at my local hospital. When I started going I would have to go to get my blood taken first which would be a 45-60 minute wait and then wait for my appointment where the chairs were usually broken. I remember one day there was a patient having chemotherapy in the corner of the waiting room sat in an office chair covered in a blanket with the drip next to him, alongside a bucket catching the rain from the leaking roof. I'd generally be out the entire morning and get to work (in another hospital) around 1 or 2pm. By the time I was discharged a brand new Haematology department had been built and it was in and out within an hour. A huge improvement.

by Anonymousreply 239June 8, 2024 4:18 PM

Clement Atlee, the best Prime Minister of the last 100 years IMO, was once described by Thatcher (of all people) as "All substance and no show" as opposed to many politicians of the modern era whom she felt were all style, no substance. On this I agree with her. Boris is a prime example of the latter and look what a shitshow that was.

We don't need an overly charismatic PM, just one who cares about getting the job done to make life better for us and can communicate to a reasonable degree.

by Anonymousreply 240June 8, 2024 4:18 PM

The problem is Starmer can't communicate, r240. I'm yet to hear him communicate a single clear, coherent policy. The only Labour policies I've thus far manage to identify are the ones where they basically admit they're going to maintain a Tory policy exactly as it is and some vague tinkering with bits and bobs, as if ending the VAT "loophole" on private schools is going to fix all the problems of state schools (especially when it could actually make them worse) and the usual stuff about cutting NHS waiting times with some tinkering here and there.

What exactly is Labour's industrial policy, for example, especially at a time where there is a reversal of globalisation and the US, EU and other countries around the world are making great efforts to advance manufacturing, especially in high-tech, specialised but very crucial sectors (e.g. semiconductors)?

The Tories are shit, but that doesn't make Starmer good. I actually think a Labour government under him will be shit. It will be a "positive" just because it's a fresh change, but after a brief honeymoon the challenges will rear their ugly heads again and I don't think Labour has any plan to deal with them or even the skills and intuition to deal with them.

by Anonymousreply 241June 8, 2024 4:47 PM

What's the Conservative's Industrial Strategy, then? I have no idea.

I'm helpfully attaching Labour's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242June 8, 2024 4:54 PM

R242, there isn't a single clear strategy point in that 24 pages of wiffle waffle, which is why you just posted a link and couldn't point to any specific policy. That document is just the usual buzz words ("partnerships", "clean energy", "innovation") with the added Brexit buzzwords stolen from the Tories of "world leading" and "global champions". "Making Brexit work" is all Labour's own, and it's bullshit.

Here's a link to 102 pages on the current Tory government's industrial strategy, since you asked.

It's not enough to keep saying the Tories are shit. Labour need to have something to offer other than not being the Tories.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243June 8, 2024 7:42 PM

Are Tories willing to overlook or forgive Sunak's abrupt, early departure from tge ceremony as American MAGAe did Trump’s absence because he didn't want the humidity to mess with his hair?

by Anonymousreply 244June 8, 2024 7:45 PM

R243 actually, for now, it seems it is enough. Try harder Sunak-lover.

by Anonymousreply 245June 8, 2024 7:46 PM

Starmer's three-point plan for winning this election seems to have been:

1. Show that Labour's changed. 2. Show that the Tories shouldn't be in government anymore. (They essentially did this for him.) 3. Show that Labour's a credible alternative.

1 and 2, done. I am not so sure people are totally bought into 3; Tory fatigue seems to be what's going to propel Labour into government rather than enthusiasm about Starmer or anything Labour's proposing. Tough times ahead for them.

by Anonymousreply 246June 8, 2024 7:47 PM

[quote]Tough times ahead for them.

I’m sure that 25 point lead will just collapse from the formidable campaign Sunak is running. What are you talking about? Once they’re in with a massive majority, they’re in for awhile.

by Anonymousreply 247June 8, 2024 7:56 PM

Labour are being very cautious which is wise seeing what they are inheriting.

Labour are always far more radical in government than anyone expects or remembers.

There isn’t the optimism of 1997 but there is the relief of change.

by Anonymousreply 248June 8, 2024 7:56 PM

Useless Turd Cameron was the start of their trouble

by Anonymousreply 249June 8, 2024 8:00 PM

After the absolute clusterfuck trio of Johnson, Truss and Sunak R246 thinks it's Labour who are heading for 'tough times'.

Who's going to turn things round for the Tories, then? the toxic Braveman? arrogant thundercunt Badenoch? Farage? They have no-one left that appeals to the mainstream voter.

Face it - Labour have positioned themselves on the centre ground. It's going to take more than 1 election cycle for the Tories to be anywhere close to electability. No-one least of Labour, thinks that they're not in for a massive challenge given the absolute state that the Conservatives have left the country in. I'm old enough to remember as far back as the late 70s. This Election has the same vibes as '79 and '97. It's likely that the losing party is going to face a mountain toi climb before they can regain the trust of the electorate.

by Anonymousreply 250June 8, 2024 8:09 PM

R245, pointing out a fact, such as the fact that Labour don't have any clear policies in significant areas doesn't make one a "Sunak lover". It's simply stating a fact, such an indisputable fact that you yourself keep confirming it by your inability to point to a single clear Labour policy. Please state a clear Labour policy (not buzzwords and Tory copying). If you don't, then you are a Sunak lover.

by Anonymousreply 251June 8, 2024 8:29 PM

Amazing batshittery from Rochford and Southend East, a Tory heartland which Labour are targeting hard and will be impacted by Nigel Garage.

The Tory MP stood down after 20 years, there's new Tory candidate and a local councillor campaigning for him tweets.

[quote]Fantastic door knocking sessions today. Message from residents is clear, they are fearful of the increase cost Labour will onflict on them and their families. Great to be with @Gavin_Haran in the constituency talking to residents.

[quote]Is the Labour candidate still in France?

As it happens the Labour candidate IS still in France. The Labour candidate Bayo Alaba served in the Parachute regiment and took part in a parachute jump in 1994 with veterans on the 50th anniversary of D Day and is in France to take part in another parachute jump to raise money for the Royal British Legion and other military charities.

A Labour candidate who served in the paras raising money for the Royal British Legion. Unthinkable 5 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 252June 8, 2024 8:32 PM

R250, I'm not r246 but Labour are in for tough times (just as the Tories were after their apparently landslide win of 2019). By default they will be in for a tough time because the country is in a tough situation. The fact that they have no solutions to any of the country's problems - in fact, don't even seem able to grasp what the country's problems are - means they will also make things tough for themselves.

1979 and 1997 were very different elections as Thatcher and Blair actually presented attractive - and radical - proposals for not just their own voters but for the population in general, proposals that seemed to get to grips with the country's problems. The governments of both changed the country radically, and with policies they had been espousing for years, not something that's "enough for now" a few weeks before they were about to form a government. Starmer and his party, on the other hand, have nothing to say and people are only voting for them because they are the only alternative. Starmer, for example, has a very low favourability rating and is more disliked than he is liked.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253June 8, 2024 8:45 PM

[quote]Are Tories willing to overlook or forgive Sunak's abrupt, early departure from the ceremony

No, he won't be forgiven. The Tories will just about make the right noises about him for the next few weeks to mitigate humiliation. But come colossal defeat on 5 July, Sunak will avoid the further humiliation of a leadership challenge and resign. Cue many jokes about leaving early again. Mr Perfect will face total public failure for the first time in his life, and retire to spend more time with his bank balance.

by Anonymousreply 254June 8, 2024 8:49 PM

I am R246, and I was a little sloppy with my phrasing, I think. I meant that things will be tough for Labour once they win and are in government. I don't think anyone actually thinks they're going to lose the election at this point. (And I want them to win!) I do think, as R253 says, it's going to be tough going just because of the scale of the problems they're going to inherit from the Tories, and -- unlike 97 -- I don't think there's going to be an extended honeymoon period for Starmer.

by Anonymousreply 255June 8, 2024 8:53 PM

Maybe Princess Anne will drop dead and Starmer will get his Big Blair moment

by Anonymousreply 256June 8, 2024 8:58 PM

We've definitely got Laura Kuenssberg loose in this thread. Tories facing meltdown - possibly struggling to get 25% of the national vote and three figures in terms of numbers of seats, a total split in the party and/or absorption by Reform... but, yeah, it's Labour in trouble post Election.

"And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

by Anonymousreply 257June 8, 2024 9:01 PM

R130- The fact that he's well mannered and well spoken has nothing to do it. Cameron has an upper class background- he is well mannered and well spoken but does not seem the least bit homosexual to me.

by Anonymousreply 258June 8, 2024 9:27 PM

Keir will be the first shaggable PM since Harold Wilson

by Anonymousreply 259June 8, 2024 9:33 PM

Rishi Sunak, hiding from the British electorate today.

Fucking delicious!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 260June 8, 2024 10:12 PM

R257, stop twisting things. No one said Labour will be in trouble after the election, just that it will be tough. And there's nothing unreasonable about voters wanting to know what a party's policies actually are when an election is coming up.

by Anonymousreply 261June 9, 2024 10:37 AM

A friend pointed out today that Ed Miliband has been totally absent from the campaign so far which is odd considering the amount of time spent discussing climate change, green energy and transition away from gas and oil.

I'm hoping Keir shows his ruthless side and gives Miliband a dignified return to the back benches when they win the election. Let him chair a select committee or something.

by Anonymousreply 262June 9, 2024 10:56 AM

Keir never needed to give Miliband any shadow position whatsoever, r262. Miliband doesn't lead any wing of the party that needed to be kept on board. As a failed former leader, Miliband was already living a life on the back benches until Starmer brought him back in. Miliband's only legacy as leader - aside from an election loss - was causing havoc in the party with his superficial decision to open up the leadership vote to anyone who paid 3 quid.

There was no reason or need for Starmer to give Miliband a second life. It was indeed a surprise when Starmer promoted Miliband from the back benches, where he had been during Corbyn's leadership (Corbyn only becoming party leader thanks to Miliband himself). Starmer should have left him there.

by Anonymousreply 263June 9, 2024 12:40 PM

Owen Jones today was speaking at a meeting supporting the Islamist crank Leanne Mohamed who is standing against Wes Streeting in Ilford,

Leanne has never tweeted about gay rights, LGBT or trans issues but has the support of infamous reality tv star Botox Chucky aka India Willoughby.

by Anonymousreply 264June 9, 2024 5:20 PM

How did Rishi decorate the flat above no.10? Did he get rid of Boris and his wife's hideously extravagant decor?

by Anonymousreply 265June 9, 2024 5:57 PM

Everybody's getting into the act.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 266June 9, 2024 6:45 PM

Boris must be loving every minute of this. Sunak teamed up with Sajid Javid to lead the mutiny against him.

by Anonymousreply 267June 9, 2024 6:50 PM

Electoral oblivion = bring back Boris.

by Anonymousreply 268June 9, 2024 7:46 PM

R268 people have such short memories I wouldn't put it past that scumbag to make a return

by Anonymousreply 269June 9, 2024 7:49 PM

He's not standing for election, r269.

by Anonymousreply 270June 9, 2024 8:06 PM

R270 I meant in the next few years as the Tories try to regroup

by Anonymousreply 271June 9, 2024 8:08 PM

He can't be party leader unless he's an MP, r271. He'll have to stand again in 5 years, by which time everything will be very different, both in the Tory party and in the country. He's done with frontline politics.

by Anonymousreply 272June 9, 2024 8:12 PM

Oh my days I watched the Richard Holden interview and cringed so hard I involuntarily tucked. And now there is a longer version of the interview.

At least Labour had the sense to destroy their party in opposition.

by Anonymousreply 273June 9, 2024 8:28 PM

r251 Might be wise to wait for all of the parties to release their manifestos this week before being so definite in your caustic criticism.None of the parties have given full shape to their policies thus far.

by Anonymousreply 274June 10, 2024 2:58 AM

First bit of policy trouble for Labour and it's the none other than Emily Thornberry giving a tv interview in her typical flippant smug style about education policy which Shadow Education Secretary Bridget Phillipson then has to correct.

It won't make much difference to the election result but a reminder of the discipline the party needs in government.

by Anonymousreply 275June 10, 2024 7:34 AM

Sunak this evening will try to re-assert some authority in a one-on-one TV interview.

He's up against dogged terrier Nick Robinson, a stranger to softball. It'll be quite a watch.

by Anonymousreply 276June 10, 2024 7:48 AM

Yes, will be interesting r241, the most significant fact being that Labour are likely to form the next government in a few weeks so need something pretty specific already and we already know what the Tory policies are.

One Labour policy was revealed yesterday, which is actually a policy reversal, abandoning plans to impose a cap on the pensions lifetime allowance, which it had only announced when Jeremy Hunt lifted the cap last year, so Labour will now retain the Tory policy.

by Anonymousreply 277June 10, 2024 8:10 AM

My jaw continues to drop. What the fuck was he thinking?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 278June 12, 2024 7:26 PM

Sky News Leaders' interviews and audience questions tonight. Sunak was laughed at and booed. Consensus afterwards was that the PM was low energy and looked defeated. A snap poll has Starmer winning a 64% approval rate. It feels like a long three weeks till election day.

by Anonymousreply 279June 12, 2024 8:41 PM

Beth Rigby is really underrated. People are dismissive of her because of her accent. After the debate James Cleverly and Wes Streeting were in the "spin room" (ugh) and Wes replied to James's analysis with "sure Jan".

Rigby's interview with Iain Anderson from Stonewall last year was one of the best interviews I've seen. He ended up a red faced sweaty mess and left Stonewall shortly after.

by Anonymousreply 280June 12, 2024 8:48 PM

Starmer was very good at the manifesto launch this morning.

Awful 7 way debate which turned into the Penny vs Angela show again. Stephen Flynn aka Skeletor sounded desperate with blatant lies about Wes Streeting and NHS privatisation.

Totally unpredictable to see who each person picked to ask a specific question. Angela got 4 from the Tories, SNP, Plaid and Green, the parties Labour are taking seats from. Penny was asked questions by Labour, Reform and the Lib Dems, the parties benefitting from the Tory collapse.

Do we really have another 3 weeks to go?

Penny got 3.

by Anonymousreply 281June 13, 2024 9:03 PM

This can't happen soon enough, and still doesn't go far enough. They should dona full review of all of Johnson and Sunak's honours.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 282June 14, 2024 7:35 AM

The 80 year age limit is arbitrary and discriminatory. Lord Alf Dubs has been one of the most prolific campaigners on refugees in recent years and came to the UK as a child from Czechoslovakia via the kindertransport.

The focus needs to be scrapping hereditary peers, those given peerages as rewards for loyalty and who never attend the HoL.

There should be a first step where everyone is made to reapply for membership and state why they want to remain a peer.

by Anonymousreply 283June 14, 2024 8:02 AM

The UK is about to jump out of the frying pan into the fire. God help us.

by Anonymousreply 284June 14, 2024 6:49 PM

Oh bore off R284. The Tories have absolutely squandered the past 14 years - almost nothing in the country is better now than when they came to power.

Under the last Labour government there were many tangible improvements - a functioning NHS with a high patient satisfaction ratings, good GDP growth (2-4%) for the vasty majority of the period, improvements in education and services like Sure Start that improved young people's life chances. I personally wish the Labour Party's offering was less timid but they're hemmed in by the absolute dire state of public finances they're inheriting, and a media landscape that's looking to trip them up at every turn.

by Anonymousreply 285June 14, 2024 7:01 PM

The Blair ministry also got rid of the Thatcher-era Section 28.

by Anonymousreply 286June 14, 2024 8:39 PM

Blair's government scrapped Section 28, equalised the age of consent, brought in employment protections, adoption rights and civil partnerships.

And they don't like to be reminded of it but the Scottish Nationalist Party were very lukewarm about scrapping Section 28, and not just because they were bankrolled by one of Britain's nastiest religious homophobes. In fact it was someone called Nicola Sturgeon who offered a compromise that she would support scrapping Section 28 if schools taught the importance of marriage.

by Anonymousreply 287June 14, 2024 9:06 PM

Labour also introduced compulsory minimum wage, before which employers could pay as little as they wanted

by Anonymousreply 288June 14, 2024 9:13 PM

The BBC are celebrating Pride Month by trying to create an outrage that trans and non binary people will struggle to vote because of the photo ID laws.

2 people interviewed are worried at how election staff might treat them because of their appearance. I've worked in a polling station and no one gives a fuck. Not a fuck.

And of course they could apply for postal votes to save them the trauma of leaving the house.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 289June 15, 2024 7:21 PM

[quote] they did not know of a free option.

I've not been able to turn on tv or go on a streaming site with adverts for a month without seeing someone tell me about the free government voter ID card at least once.

by Anonymousreply 290June 15, 2024 7:41 PM

The Good Law Grift Project tried to mount a legal action against the government's transphobic photo ID law. They lost and were made to pay costs and the response from the government department was to send Good Law Grift Project a link to the website where "Alice" can complete her photo ID exemption form, or apply for a postal vote.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 291June 15, 2024 8:14 PM

The Survation mapping poll is making headlines but has some real oddities.

Islington North has Labour on 52% and "Other" on 12% meaning Saint Jeremy Of The Cranks and all the assorted nut jobs are doing very badly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 292June 15, 2024 8:16 PM

Speaking of Saint Jeremy his third wife has written a heartwarming comment piece explaining why she is voting for her husband.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 293June 15, 2024 9:22 PM

R293 "Almost up to the door of no.10" is a bit of a stretch. With him as leader Labour had it's poorest showing in years; he was a lousy leader.

by Anonymousreply 294June 15, 2024 9:28 PM

I really should get a case of champagne for the lead-up to this one.

by Anonymousreply 295June 15, 2024 9:56 PM

R287 forgot that little Iraq war thing.

by Anonymousreply 296June 15, 2024 11:08 PM

If anyone wants to see the state of the far left wing in UK politics this photo sums up everything.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 297June 16, 2024 8:04 AM

Good to see Owen Jones, the most opinionated and “holier-than-thou” anti-pragmatist and anti-Starmer purist, proudly wearing his New Balance trainers.

by Anonymousreply 298June 16, 2024 8:46 AM

Owen Jones actively supporting you is usually the kiss of death for anyone's electoral hopes. Historically he's got a fascinating ability to always back the losing side.

by Anonymousreply 299June 16, 2024 9:06 AM

If Carla Deyner loses in Bristol Central she can blame herself by letting Owen campaign for her.

I find it curious that there is nothing online about where the quite posh Denyer went to school which makes me think she is embarrassed about going to private school.

by Anonymousreply 300June 16, 2024 9:13 AM

Who is Owen Jones supporting now? He made a pompous and very MARY speech about withdrawing his support for Labour a few weeks ago?

by Anonymousreply 301June 16, 2024 9:15 AM

Owen Jones is supporting:

1. Green Party leader Carla Denyer, standing in Bristol Central where Labour have a significant majority but with redefined boundaries. No idea how the vote will go here but I'd say Labour have advantage.

2. Disgraced former Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn, standing as an independent - reports that the campaign is going badly and people are more loyal to the party than they are the man who has been their MP for 40 years.

3. Islamist Leanne Mohamed, standing against Labour's Wes Streeting in Ilford - Mohamed will be lucky to get a few thousand votes.

4. Suspended Labour member Faiza Shaheen, standing as an independent in Chingford and Woodford Green - Labour came close to winning the seat ifrom the Tories n the last two elections and Shaheen splitting the vote could mean former Tory leader Iain Duncan Smith is returned as MP.

by Anonymousreply 302June 16, 2024 10:48 AM

Incidentally the 4 Labour candidates Owen Jones is campaigning against consist of 2 British Asian women, 1 British Asian man and a gay man.

by Anonymousreply 303June 16, 2024 11:01 AM

[quote]In fact it was someone called Nicola Sturgeon who offered a compromise that she would support scrapping Section 28 if schools taught the importance of marriage.

She's a big believer in marriage.

by Anonymousreply 304June 16, 2024 4:11 PM

Nicola Sturgeon supports gay marriage. That's why she married a gay LOL PMSL ROFL

by Anonymousreply 305June 16, 2024 4:26 PM

There was a video shared over the weekend of Sturgeon and Scottish MP David Linden campaigning outside a mosque in Glasgow.

The SNP leaflet unfolded into a Palestine flag with an SNP message and the candidate literature featured a photo of Linden running the London marathon to raise money for a Palestinian charity. Pure sectarianism.

by Anonymousreply 306June 16, 2024 4:40 PM

Labour maintains its lead though it has declined a bit. The Conservatives continue their slide into possible irrelevancy. Reform is gaining on the Tories.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 307June 17, 2024 5:40 AM

A polling guru observed on the BBC yesterday that The Tories' current poll numbers were their lowest ever since records began. Hence the front page story in today's 'Times' reporting that Sunak is being urged to 'go for the jugular' - engage in direct personal attacks on Starmer. I'm fairly sure Sunak trying to unleash his inner Trump would backfire, but let's see.

by Anonymousreply 308June 17, 2024 6:58 AM

I'm still not convinced the Canada style event will happen for the Tories. Yes they will go well under 200 seats but double figures?

FPTP generates real oddities such as the Lib Dems only getting 9% of seats on a 23% vote share in 2010 and the SNP winning 95% of seats on a 50% share in 2015.

Labour will win 1997/2001 big but some of the hype around the Tories reminds me of the talk around Labour's expected destruction in 2017 which was delayed by 2 years.

by Anonymousreply 309June 17, 2024 7:43 AM

Corbynites going mad today because there was a photo of Keir Starmer and Angela Rayner watching the England match with comedians Matt Forde and Jon Richardson.

This old clip of Richardson on Have I Got News For You has been shared with evidence of what scum he is. To most normal people Richardson is absolutely right with his judgment and delivers it perfectly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 310June 17, 2024 3:35 PM

That's much tamer than I was expecting, R310. Everything Richardson says there is accurate. Corbyn was a gift to the Tories: a Labour leader who never showed any real interest in being elected.

by Anonymousreply 311June 17, 2024 10:09 PM

What are people’s plans for when Labour are in government in a couple of weeks?

Celebrate? Hide your money? Leave the country?

by Anonymousreply 312June 18, 2024 5:56 AM

When I think of Labour's position, I think of Mara Hobel as young Christina Crawford, covered in Bon Ami powdered cleaner, being told by the Tory Faye Dunaway to "CLEAN UP THIS MESS!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 313June 18, 2024 6:05 AM

The polling is batshit at the moment.

Looking at YouGov's polling they have Lee Anderson on 32% in Ashfield with Labour at 29% and "other" in third place at 16 - the other is Jason Zadrozny of Ashfield Independents who got 27% of the vote in 2019.

Islington North has Labour on 41% and Other (Corbyn) on 36%

The Isle Of Wight has 2 seats. IOW East has Labour 28% Tories 26% Reform 23% which would make trans lesbian Miss Emily Brothers the first trans lesbian MP meaning total devastation for Miss Suzie Izzard.

Tatton has Tories 36% and Labour 35%. Imagine the "were you up for Esther McVey" chat.

by Anonymousreply 314June 19, 2024 5:10 PM

Sunak's Protection Officer arrested. Never rains but it pours for umbrella-free Rishi.

by Anonymousreply 315June 19, 2024 5:14 PM

Rishi Sunak is predicted to become the first sitting prime minister ever to lose their seat at a general election, according to a new poll.

The polling from Savanta for The Daily Telegraph consulted around 18,000 people between 7 June and 18 June, and found Mr Sunak was likely to lose his North Yorkshire Richmond seat to Labour.

It comes as a mega-poll revealed the Tories are set to suffer the party’s worst loss in more than a century with senior Cabinet ministers losing their seats.

With just two weeks to go before the general election, the Blue Wall could be shaking as safe seats like Jeremy Hunt’s constituency in South West Surrey is set to fall, the survey predicts.

More In Common UK pollsters warned the results show the Conservatives could emerge with only 155 seats, which is the worst number since 1906.

The astonishing defeat was already predicted by senior frontbenchers this morning with work and pensions secretary Mel Stride claiming that Labour could win the “biggest majority in UK history” if Sir Keir Starmer secures a landslide victory on July 4.

by Anonymousreply 316June 19, 2024 6:50 PM

Wow, the results are worse for the Tories than the post-WW2 election that knocked out Churchill and delivered the NHS.

by Anonymousreply 317June 19, 2024 7:01 PM

The More In Common seat predictions have some totally batshit conclusions, such as Shetland and Orkney (held by various incarnations of the Liberals since the 1950s) being won by the SNP despite the SNP losing 30 seats.

YouGov's final MVP model 2 days before the election in 2019 underestimated the Tory victory, they overestimated Labour's vote share by 2%

339 seats predicted for the Conservatives - 365 won

231 predicted for Labour, 202 won

41 predicted for the SNP , 48 won

15 predicted for the Liberal Democrats, 11 won

giving the Conservatives an overall majority of 28 - majority won was 80 seats

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 318June 19, 2024 7:49 PM

Penny Mordaunt is about to lose her seat, but that lunatic Suella Braverman (Britain's answer to Candace Owens) will hold hers and be in a solid position to run for party leader.

by Anonymousreply 319June 19, 2024 7:58 PM

This article mentions Mordaunt, Hunt, and Rees-Mogg are all in trouble.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 320June 19, 2024 8:36 PM

FFS, that article is old, but it does show you how slim the majorities were.

by Anonymousreply 321June 19, 2024 8:38 PM

Trainer helping Carlitos have a good stretch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 322June 19, 2024 9:00 PM

Not from the UK but I'm somewhat familiar with Rees-Mogg. Really a dislikeable character. It seems like things could be worse for him now as the election draws near than in April?

by Anonymousreply 323June 19, 2024 9:01 PM

Is Alcaraz also standing to be an MP, R322? He really is precocious!

by Anonymousreply 324June 19, 2024 9:05 PM

After the SNP were filming themselves outside mosques with Palestine flag campaign leaflets Labour are getting in on the act as well.

Sarah Champion is MP for Rotherham, a town in England famous for the appalling abuse of over 1400 girls by Pakistani men in one of the most appalling grooming gang scandals in Britain, and there have been plenty.

Disgraceful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 325June 19, 2024 9:18 PM

Rees-Mogg is the child catcher from chitty chitty bang bang.

by Anonymousreply 326June 19, 2024 9:38 PM

Rees-Mogg famously showed contempt by lying down during parliament, showing no respect for the job

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 327June 19, 2024 11:14 PM

Banner headline in today's 'Daily Telegraph': "Tory Wipeout." A map shows England glowing with redness. Only two Cabinet members are predicted to hold their seats. A commentator observes that on this current poll prediction the Tory party is unlikely to survive in its current form. July 4 will be quite a night.

by Anonymousreply 328June 20, 2024 5:41 AM

I really hope it's that bad, but I do have to wonder if it's a scare tactic to get Tories to save their fetid party.

by Anonymousreply 329June 20, 2024 5:54 AM

It will be nice for the young ones who seem to hate everyone and everything finally have a chance to live under a different government for a few years.

Of course they expect the grass to be greener on the other side. Boy are they going to be in for a shock…

by Anonymousreply 330June 20, 2024 8:09 AM

Go back to watching your GB News, r330.

by Anonymousreply 331June 20, 2024 8:11 AM

Looks like the Tory election announcement gambling is turning into a thing.

"A second Conservative candidate is being looked into by the Gambling Commission over a bet relating to the timing of the general election"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 332June 20, 2024 8:27 AM

R331 I've never seen GB news and am not in the UK, I'm in the Mediterranean for a few months so am missing the whole thing. But I will be reading this thread to see how things are shaping up

by Anonymousreply 333June 20, 2024 10:09 AM

R333 = Stanley Johnson

by Anonymousreply 334June 20, 2024 10:11 AM

R332, is that story’s headline in English?

by Anonymousreply 335June 20, 2024 10:29 AM

R334 no, but I did share a flight with him once during lockdown to escape the UK.

by Anonymousreply 336June 20, 2024 12:10 PM

How patriotic of you.

by Anonymousreply 337June 20, 2024 12:31 PM

I have a friend who lived there who calls the UK a third world country with a fresh coat of paint.

Most people feel nothing works, though their view of what's not working is about as individual as they are.

The Tories have been chaos for the last five years, at least. This is a revenge and punishment election.

I think it will be a massive Labour landslide and could be a Canada style rout for the Conservatives. But the Conservative party didn't disappear and eventually came back in Canada. Farage is too much for too many and there's no infrastructure or farm team to replace him once he's not leading that movement.

So I don't see the UK Conservatives disappearing but I do think they've got nearly a decade in the wilderness, to figure themselves out. Starmer is going to have a terrible job keeping control of a majority like that.

by Anonymousreply 338June 20, 2024 12:47 PM

It would be delicious to have a permanently bifurcated conservative movement in the United Kingdom.

by Anonymousreply 339June 20, 2024 12:49 PM

This bonkers gambling story is just getting started.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 340June 20, 2024 5:23 PM

Like Trudeau's Liberals, the UK Conservatives have been in power for too long. They stand for nothing. They don't even understand themselves. Time for a change, come what may.

by Anonymousreply 341June 20, 2024 5:27 PM

Blissful timing R340 for the PM's live appearance on BBC1 tonight. Starmer is live on the same programme. Tory corruption is the gift that never stops, even unto landslide defeat. Popcorn time.

by Anonymousreply 342June 20, 2024 5:38 PM

There are reports today that the Conservatives are removing funding from target seats (and seats in which victory no longer seems possible) and reallocating it to previously rock-solid Conservative seats which now seem in danger. One party figure is quoted as saying a candidate in a seat with a 20,000 majority in 2019 has had his funding removed as his seat is no longer seen as being winnable..

It’s so delightful to think that the Tories might be truly shattered. They are such horrible (gloating, dismissive, smug) winners, and have really benefitted from splits in the left-of-centre vote. Now the split is on the Right, and the Conservatives will be at war with each other by July 5th. What a lovely summer!

by Anonymousreply 343June 20, 2024 6:05 PM

I have to agree R343 the smugness was so apparent after their 2019 landslide they thought themselves unavailable and their arrogant "rules don't apply" attitude was barely concealed. I just wish Boris & Liz will be long remembered as two of the worst PMs in our history.

by Anonymousreply 344June 20, 2024 6:13 PM

The Tories have no money to campaign with and a lot of activists have decided they don't want to be involved in the campaign.

One of the more decent Tories was on the BBC and made the correct point that the election date gambling story won't make any difference to how people vote. People have already made up their minds about the Tories. What they haven't made up their minds about is whether to go for the best party to kick them out or the Nigel Garage party.

The SNP are also having major financial problems, linked to but exclusively caused by Mr Nicola Sturgeon being charged with embezzlement. They didn't have a single donation over £500 and rely on money paid to the party via the Westminster allocation. When they lose half their seats they'll be completely broke.

by Anonymousreply 345June 20, 2024 6:14 PM

What's interesting is a great deal of Scottish anti-Brexit sentiment will be flowing from the SNP to Labour.🍿

by Anonymousreply 346June 20, 2024 6:41 PM

The SNP being as dreadful and corrupt as the Tory Party is a bigger motivation than Brexit.

John Swinney arguing that winning half the seats on July 4th will "trigger independence talks" - the cunts have had a majority of seats since 2015.

Swinney and Sunak have a lot in common - they're captain of the ship hitting the iceberg even though it was the former captain who set the ship on course. Sturgeon and Johnson were corrupt to their very core and replaced by fucking idiots who were too deluded to realise they would be a disaster.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 347June 20, 2024 6:48 PM

When Labour win the election I wonder if there will be huge celebrations in the streets.

I lived in a street next to Tony Blair and his family and when he won the election the whole area was packed with people cheering and celebrating, it was brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 348June 21, 2024 6:46 AM

Sunak spectacularly bombs on the Question Time Leader's debate - fighting with and yelling at audience members asking questions, cries of 'shame on you!' to some of his responses, and the for the grand finale? Getting booed off stage while the credits rolled.

Full on tetchy, titchy Rishi on display. - arrogant, petulant, visibly recoiling at the indignity of being challenged by the 'little people'.

My favourite lowlight - someone loudly stage whispering "FUCKING HATE HIM" as he makes his entrance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 349June 21, 2024 7:33 AM

Its actually going to be quite exciting having a new government and some new faces.

I especially can't wait to see more of trashy Angela Rayner with her hair extensions and fake boobs. I am expecting comedy gold for the next few years.

by Anonymousreply 350June 21, 2024 8:38 AM

Savvy people know that the north is a hell of a lot more fun than the uptight south, too.

by Anonymousreply 351June 21, 2024 8:45 AM

The north is ok, people are friendly, nice place to visit but I wouldn’t want to live there. I much prefer London with its Georgian Squares and streets, easy access to multiple airports, bigger choice of shops and restaurants.

But if you do like it in the north you get a whole load more property for your money, if that’s what you want. These days with work from home more people are probably doing that.

by Anonymousreply 352June 21, 2024 10:17 AM

Britain is a very conservative country. Labour won’t last long. It never does.

by Anonymousreply 353June 21, 2024 11:17 AM

[quote] When Labour win the election I wonder if there will be huge celebrations in the streets.

The Left will be protesting. They hate Starmer with a passion.

by Anonymousreply 354June 21, 2024 11:17 AM

Britain is more provincial than conservative. They think they know the world because they owned so much of it. Yet when you watch what they do, it's evident that they don't know the world that they owned.

by Anonymousreply 355June 21, 2024 11:25 AM

r353 They lasted 13 years last time. And given the Tories electoral base consists of a middle class that now actively hates them, and pensioners that are dying en masse I'd say short of Labour electing Jimmy Savile's corpse in a leadership contest I doubt they'll be out of power for at least the next 2 election cycles.

by Anonymousreply 356June 21, 2024 11:26 AM

[quote]Britain is a very conservative country.

Which no longer trusts the party named after that attribute. With very good reason. In many cases mistrust is on a continuum which ends in detestation.

[quote]Labour won’t last long.

Odd then that Cabinet Ministers have given currency to the term 'super-majority' and how it could embed Labour for a least a decade.

[quote]It never does.

As noted above, Labour had a 13-year stint starting in '97.

by Anonymousreply 357June 21, 2024 11:35 AM

R353 's arrogance is why the Tories are being so roundly rejected. Their presumption of their Divine Right to rule, the endless 'silent majority' BS. The Tories traditionally benefit from the split of the vote on the centre/left between Labour/Lib Dems/Greens/ Scottish and Welsh nationalist parties.

The rise of the even further right - UKIP/Brexit Party/Reform - as a permanent fixture in parliamentary politics should the Tories struggle to attain an absolute majority for the foreseeable future under FPTP.

by Anonymousreply 358June 21, 2024 12:03 PM

Since 1900 – when Labour was formed – the party has only won eight out of 32 general elections.

In the 121 years since the turn of the last century, only three Labour leaders have won general elections.

During the same period, 10 Conservative leaders have won general elections.

The Tory party has been the dominant party in power for over a century.

Labour governments have represented rare interludes punctuating what have been solid periods of Tory rule.

by Anonymousreply 359June 21, 2024 12:53 PM

R319, if the Tories choose Braverman as their next leader, they might as well tell Starmer to hold on to the keys to No. 10 for the next ten years.

by Anonymousreply 360June 21, 2024 1:35 PM

Braverman's currently a laughingstock because she did an absolutely awkward tiktok campaign video.

by Anonymousreply 361June 21, 2024 1:40 PM

Dreadful Tory, Johnny Mercer, gets the 'YOU FOOKIN' WANKER!" treatment.

Delicious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 362June 21, 2024 4:33 PM

The Johnny Mercer feud with the Labour candidate Fred Thomas is very odd.

Can't say I'm a fan of Mercer but there was a very specific claim about former Royal Marine Thomas "serving in combat" that Mercer took issue with and the BBC were told by Labour HQ that the Guardian profile of Thomas published a year ago and used by many to attack Mercer is in fact incorrect.

The Guardian article already has one clarification: This article was amended on 14 August 2023. An earlier version said that Fred Thomas had been a “senior army officer” when he was a captain in the Marines.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 363June 21, 2024 7:05 PM

Once the election is done and dusted I think we should have a thread to chat about what scandal and sleaze we can expect from the Labour ministers. Surely there will be something.

by Anonymousreply 364June 22, 2024 4:34 AM

A gobby woman is causing trouble for Labour.

This isn't going to impact the election in any form but the main weakness Starmer has is his values. When he was asked by a student about tuition fees he was absolutely unapologetic about saying he was prioritising waiting lists. But there is a perception of not being slippery.

But when he is asked about his support for Corbyn and praise for him he stumbles because he can't be honest. Of course he didn't think Corbyn would be a good Prime Minister and he never saw him as a friend.

JK Rowling has right to be angry at Starmer. When the angry little man Lloyd Russell Moyle said JKR was exploiting being a victim of sexual assault Starmer didn't sack him on the spot as he should have done and allowed Moyle to resign a month later.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 365June 22, 2024 7:19 AM

I'd rather talk about Farage playing his pro Russia hand on Panorama last night. What a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 366June 22, 2024 7:24 AM

BREAKING NEWS: FARAGE IS STILL A CUNT.

Also breaking news: Saint Diane Abbott also blamed NATO for forcing Russia to invade Ukraine.

by Anonymousreply 367June 22, 2024 7:28 AM

Horseshoe theory strikes again.

by Anonymousreply 368June 22, 2024 7:29 AM

Also the strong rumor is that Rowling is a complete recluse and barely sees her family. She's obviously executing some sort of press campaign from on high out of boredom.

by Anonymousreply 369June 22, 2024 7:38 AM

Diane's own words on 11th February. Russia invaded Ukraine 11 days later.

One of the few things Boris Johnson (and previous Tory Prime Ministers) was to arm Ukraine. He is beloved there. A British journalist in Kiev watched the England Serbia match there and said it was like watching a home game.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 370June 22, 2024 7:39 AM

The difference between Abbott and Farage is that Abbott, while a complete ninny on many fronts, is a groundbreaking figure who did move the country forward and deserves a small amount of respect. Farage, on the other hand....

by Anonymousreply 371June 22, 2024 7:40 AM

Why are you belabouring the point, r370? Nobody is disagreeing with you.

by Anonymousreply 372June 22, 2024 7:43 AM

Farage being Putin's girl here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 373June 22, 2024 7:44 AM

[quote]Also the strong rumor is that Rowling is a complete recluse and barely sees her family. She's obviously executing some sort of press campaign from on high out of boredom.

Yeah, a rumour started by troons to discredit her. The was one mental account that had photos of a young woman with a baby who insisted was JKR's daughter with the abusive husband and who wouldn't let JKR see the baby.

And she isn't doing this out of boredom she's doing it because she cares. Read up on Alison Bailey and Jo Phoenix, two lesbians bullied out of their jobs who won employment tribunals. There are so many women who have been bullied out of jobs, lost work opportunities, been ostracised because they believe in the reality of biological sex, a belief Keir Starmer thought was offensive 3 years ago but now supports.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 374June 22, 2024 7:52 AM

Why don't you go start a thread on TERFs? I'm not interested.

by Anonymousreply 375June 22, 2024 7:54 AM

[quote]The difference between Abbott and Farage is that Abbott, while a complete ninny on many fronts, is a groundbreaking figure who did move the country forward and deserves a small amount of respect. Farage, on the other hand....

How did she move the country forward? She let other women and black politicians do all the heavy lifting when it came to enabling structural change.

Abbott has never engaged in policy work, she's never been interested in using Parliament to advance causes (see Stella Creasy legalising abortion in NI as a backbencher) and she's never been interested in governing and the only time she supported the concept of collective responsibility was when she expected Labour MPs to be loyal to her beloved Jeremy, despite never having been loyal to any Labour leader herself.

The reason there are so many black women MPs now has nothing to do with Abbott. Harriet Harman however deserves a huge amount of credit for that.

by Anonymousreply 376June 22, 2024 7:58 AM

It’s hard to fathom how different things might have been had that fucker died in his election day plane stunt in 2010.

We were so close.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 377June 22, 2024 8:02 AM

[quote]Why don't you go start a thread on TERFs? I'm not interested.

Soz hun xxx

by Anonymousreply 378June 22, 2024 8:03 AM

Well, it's good to see that Rowling shooting her wad a couple of weeks before people go to the polls. Storm in a teacup and won't change anything except draining her coffers a bit more.

by Anonymousreply 379June 22, 2024 8:14 AM

[quote]Why don't you go start a thread on TERFs? I'm not interested.

BBC news running order.

1. Disappearance of Jay Slater

2. Farage comments on Ukraine/Russia/NATO

3. JK Rowling and women's rights

Labour's response is "Labour is the party of women".

Labour's position has been not to discuss it in detail because there are so many contradictions.

1. How can the NHS implement the Cass Review (supported by Wes Streeting) when it also wants to introduce a full ban on gender related conversion therapy (supported by the dreadful Anneliese Dodds who I doubt will keep the Equalities brief in government)

2. How can Labour simplify the GRC process AND defend single sex spaces without defining that sex under the Equality Act means biological sex not legal sex?

You can spout all the hashtags and slogans you want but if you go down the Nicola Sturgeon road and refuse to say whether a convicted rapist is a man or a woman then the public will just laugh at you.

by Anonymousreply 380June 22, 2024 8:19 AM

The three main politicians for whom Farage has declared admiration are Enoch Powell, Donald Trump, and Vladimir Putin. This morning Ben Wallace demolished Farage's tabloid view of geopolitics in learned detail. Wallace called him a pub bore, which is accurate enough if understated.

Farage has never held office and is clueless about the nuance, detail, compromise and responsibility of real leadership. Thus he can spout his strong assertive tabloid mantras from a position devoid of experience. He's the stupid person's idea of a clever politician - and duly requires the disinfectant of fact-checking daily, as was provided by Wallace this morning.

by Anonymousreply 381June 22, 2024 8:28 AM

Meanwhile, Sunak is desperate to contain the growing gambling scandal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 382June 22, 2024 8:29 AM

All the news we're getting in Australia is that Sunak and the Tories are going to get fucking walloped and it will be a blood bath landslide win to Labour. There's also talk of Farage finally being elected after 7 attempts at trying to be elected over the past few decades.

by Anonymousreply 383June 22, 2024 11:06 AM

It will be good fun to have the loony left in power again, it's been a while now. We deserve a bit of a laugh.

by Anonymousreply 384June 22, 2024 11:20 AM

A pollster has this take on Farage and Putin

[quote]Worth remembering that unlike in the USA there is almost no cleavage on support for Ukraine here: 74% of Brits think it is important to us here in the UK that Ukraine wins, just 9% think that it is unimportant. Ukraine scepticism is very unpopular.

[quote]By some degree Vladimir Putin is the least respected world leader we polled. 81% are concerned that if he is not stopped in Ukraine more of Europe will be put at risk. 65% of Brits think we should support Ukraine until at least pre 2022 borders, only 9% say stop supporting now.

[quote]And the belief that Ukraine's victory matters to the UK has just been remarkably consistent - the suggestions of fatigue or drop off in concern haven't come to pass.

by Anonymousreply 385June 22, 2024 11:21 AM

'Loony left'? Starmer?

God, you people are ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 386June 22, 2024 11:23 AM

[quote]It will be good fun to have the loony left in power again, it's been a while now. We deserve a bit of a laugh.

When were the Loony Left ever in power? Miliband and Corbyn demonstrated how unelectable they are, refusing to listen to the warnings about Michael Foot.

Labour under Atlee, Wilson and Callaghan and then Blair and Brown were economically progressive social reformers. No dodgy policies at all.

The only Loony Left aspects of British politics have been the Green influenced SNP government

by Anonymousreply 387June 22, 2024 11:24 AM

[quote]’Loony left'? Starmer?

Exactly. Centrist dad James O’Brien won’t stop sucking Starmer’s knob.

by Anonymousreply 388June 22, 2024 11:28 AM

James O'Brien isn't a centrist. He's a populist cunt who will leap on to any bandwagon - he previously supported Boris.

by Anonymousreply 389June 22, 2024 11:29 AM

I can't believe I'm going to say how much I miss John Major.

by Anonymousreply 390June 22, 2024 11:30 AM

How long do you think it will be until labour raise taxes, and by how much?

by Anonymousreply 391June 22, 2024 11:34 AM

How long do you think it will take for this cunt to stop trolling us, and how long until they come back?

by Anonymousreply 392June 22, 2024 11:39 AM

R390 More peas, Norma!

by Anonymousreply 393June 22, 2024 11:39 AM

R391 You mean raise taxes from the all-time high they've reached under the Tories?

by Anonymousreply 394June 22, 2024 11:46 AM

R392 are you ok? You sound angry, angry and hysterical. That's very unlike a Labour supporter.

by Anonymousreply 395June 22, 2024 12:04 PM

Classic troll move, your tone policing. Let's stick to talking about your antics.

by Anonymousreply 396June 22, 2024 12:16 PM

Vox populi from Jeremy Hunt's very conservative constituency. I never thought I'd see Tories so thoroughly destroyed. 🍿

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 397June 22, 2024 12:25 PM

Oh Novara Media, remember when they were relevant?

I can't be bothered to look for it but one of the funniest things from the 2019 election was the "live" response when they saw the exit poll that predicted a huge majority for the Tories. Novara were working closely with Corbyn's office to coordinate messaging for interviews and analysis.

Bastani also created the mansplaining meme from the screengrab below.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 398June 22, 2024 12:39 PM

It's going to be an absolute landslide R397. I heard that the Tories know this and are now only concentrating on the seats they can 100% win and there will be a massive reduction in the numbers of those safe seats.

From what I understand - a Labour government is a done deal. The Brits are furious and sick of the Tory rabble and all their lies and bullshit. And like R394 factually states - the highest taxes in 70 years under the Tories. Labour have guaranteed they will not raise taxes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 399June 22, 2024 12:43 PM

I’d gladly pay more taxes - raise it to Scandinavian levels for all I care - if I felt that I got something in return. Rachel Reeves is welcome to take more of my salary if it means that state infrastructure doesn’t always feel as if it’s on the cusp of falling apart, and that some shareholder cunt in a tax haven wasn’t getting rich off my back.

by Anonymousreply 400June 22, 2024 1:10 PM

The Lib Dems and Greens pledging to give more money to HMRC to get people to pay more tax doesn't acknowledge that the people they want to pay more tax will be able to afford expensive lawyers to argue they shouldn't be paying more tax.

Had a party called for a Lorraine or Lineker law to make multi millionaire "freelancers" pay employee rates I'm sure they'd receive a lot more support.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 401June 22, 2024 1:36 PM

Abbott's a naive, idealistic, frequently ignorant idiot, with no common sense or filter. Farage is like a pub bore with too much drink in him, and with every deplorable trait that comes with it. Both as bad as the other, just in different ways.

by Anonymousreply 402June 22, 2024 1:42 PM

[quote]Labour have guaranteed they will not raise taxes.

They've guaranteed they won't raise income taxes, National Insurance or VAT. But there's lot of other ways to raise tax. Every fee government receives is tax, in the end.

The Conservatives are no better. More money is needed and it can only come from one place. I imagine Labour's honeymoon will be brief because reality is going to come crashing down on them. It can't be helped, but they'll be blamed for it anyway. If you're in power, you're getting blamed. The one thing I've read that struck me as true is at the door the Conservatives aren't hearing a lot of enthusiasm for Labour - like Blair commanded in 1997 - but such negative emotions about the Conservatives. This is a revenge, throw the bums out, sort yourselves out election.

Like most countries, the UK is now in the lesser of the evils phase of democracy.

by Anonymousreply 403June 22, 2024 1:48 PM

R403 I agree with all of that. There was a huge wave of euphoria behind Tony Blair, he came across as a sincere, honest and brilliant leader, and he won three elections. I lived around the corner from him and on the morning after the election the streets were packed with a carnival like atmosphere, it was brilliant.

Starmer will be Prime Minister not because tons of people like him, but because they are disheartened with the Conservative Party. As you say, the honeymoon will be brief. But let’s see, I always hope that whoever gets in does a great job. Nobody wants things to get worse, only better.

by Anonymousreply 404June 22, 2024 2:49 PM

The cult of Brexit had such a fucking hold on the government that they have to cleanse themselves with that before they can even know their ass from a hole in the ground.

by Anonymousreply 405June 22, 2024 3:40 PM

R404 you old lush, you forgot those parties was because we were getting rid of Cherie!

by Anonymousreply 406June 22, 2024 4:37 PM

I didn't realise double Olympic champion rower and Strictly celebrity James Cracknell was standing as the Tory candidate for Colchester.

It was a Tory seat up to 1997 and then Lib Dem until the great cull of 2015. The Tories won it back but at the last election Labour were only 9.5k votes behind in second place.

Cracknell's ex wife is TV presenter Beverley Turner who was relatively normal until Covid turned her into a frothing loon obsessed with conspiracy theories.

by Anonymousreply 407June 22, 2024 5:30 PM

Fat chance, Cracknell.

by Anonymousreply 408June 22, 2024 5:41 PM

There aren't many desperately handsome candidates. Henry "Tuff Enuff" Tuffnell is reasonably dashing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 409June 22, 2024 6:40 PM

Kemi Badenoch says that Brexit is a "10 or 20-year project" and that any benefits from it will disappear under a Labour government. Who saw that excuse coming?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 410June 23, 2024 12:51 AM

Kemi is a dumb cow; remember, I GOT BREXIT DONE.

by Anonymousreply 411June 23, 2024 1:07 AM

[quote]Kemi Badenoch says that Brexit is a "10 or 20-year project" and that any benefits from it will disappear under a Labour government. Who saw that excuse coming?

She's absolutely right about it being a 20 year project, but Labour will make it work more effectively. There will be another election in 2028 when Labour will pledge to implement Theresa May's deal with the EU, the softest deal possible that excludes free movement of people.

The people demanding we *just* rejoin are as deluded as Farage and his disciples.

by Anonymousreply 412June 23, 2024 8:15 AM

And you will continue to decline,. Your continued to import the cheapest labor and the highest amount of social problems instead of allowing free movement. You will also be less and less relevant, especially if the Central European powers fulfill their plans to build a stronger military force. And it will be delicious to continue to watch you to loot yourselves into self-importance as your quality of life continues to dwindle, and you continually get cannibalised by your ruling class. You have no one left to colonize but yourselves.

by Anonymousreply 413June 23, 2024 8:21 AM

[quote]Your continued to import the cheapest labor and the highest amount of social problems instead of allowing free movement.

Are you suggesting black and Asian immigration brings more social problems than Eastern Europeans?

And in what universe will there be a European army?

by Anonymousreply 414June 23, 2024 8:58 AM

So it's your usual tactic of insinuating people are stupid through the use of tone observation and policing. Same overused tactics to polish your numerous turds.

by Anonymousreply 415June 23, 2024 9:03 AM

[quote]There will be another election in 2028 when Labour will pledge to implement Theresa May's deal with the EU, the softest deal possible that excludes free movement of people.

Labour should have supported Theresa May's deal at the time, r412, except they wanted to play stupid party politics to try to bring May down. Well, they did and we got Boris Johnson instead. You can thank Starmer for Boris Johnson as prime minister.

Not sure anyone is demanding that we rejoin the EU now - everyone knows that it would take the UK years to fulfil the membership criteria, and there won't be any optouts next time. I'm not sure the EU would even want the UK back right now.

by Anonymousreply 416June 23, 2024 9:51 AM

The EU wants the UK back, but they'll have to do with the eu's way, which will include migration and a commitment to the euro. They won't do that. The best they can hope for is a Norway arrangement with no migration. The UK doesn't get that there isn't any service or idea that will have them match the size of their influence and economy on the world. There is no 20 year plan that will fix this. It is a lie based on sentiment, not facts.

In short: You are getting some relief, but you are still in purgatory and at the mercy of the EU until you agree to migration.

by Anonymousreply 417June 23, 2024 11:17 AM

It's at least 4 being investigated now in the Tory gambling scandal.

by Anonymousreply 418June 23, 2024 12:05 PM

It may be the changes are possible without rejoining the EU. All anybody really wants is economic opportunities and easy entry to other countries when on holiday. It's the policy impositions of the EU - the European Court of Justice, all that - that drove so many people bonkers. The EU itself is under strain and the last election shifted it rightward. France is up in the air. Everything's up in the air. Rejoining the old EU may not even be possible in the next few years... the EU could change. Is this the most uncertain peacetime in history? Feels like it, some days.

by Anonymousreply 419June 23, 2024 12:45 PM

This is starting to remind me of the 1993 Canadian Federal Election. I remember being gobsmacked at the result, I don’t think anyone predicted the near total destruction of the Progressive Conservatives. While it brought the Liberal Party back to power after it was nearly killed in 1984, the unintended consequences included the resurgence of Quebec nationalism and the rise of the far right in Alberta which is having an awful influence on today’s political discourse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 420June 23, 2024 3:28 PM

Could someone pass a curly wurly? I'm too busy enjoying the show.

by Anonymousreply 421June 23, 2024 4:11 PM

I doubt the EU wants the UK back for a long time, r417. The EU is currently integrating further in a whole range of areas, from defence and foreign policy to common procurements and pooled borrowing, and the UK as a member would be trying to block and slow this down as much as possible.

R419, the average Brit has no idea about the judgements of the ECJ and none of the ECJ's judgements drove anyone bonkers. Not sure what you mean by the EU "shifted rightward". Can you point to some actual election results that show this? Meanwhile, in the UK Reform is climbing up the polls.

by Anonymousreply 422June 23, 2024 4:32 PM

Asked if the UK could ever rejoin the EU, she replied: “I must say, I keep telling my children, ‘you have to fix it, we goofed it up, you have to fix it’. So I think here too, the direction of travel – my personal opinion – is clear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 423June 23, 2024 4:36 PM

I don’t understand Starner’s stance against rejoining the EU but I guess I don’t realise that it’s still such a hot button issue. I don’t know why his position has to be so strong against this when it’s barely even been discussed. But, oh well. He’s clearly going to be running a Labour super majority. Maybe there’s something in it for him to play hard to get or something.

I think the majority of British people would want to rejoin. It’s not like being in the EU was so terrible, it was the Eurosceptics that hated it so much. But, guess what? The UK is firmly post-empire. And it sucks.

by Anonymousreply 424June 23, 2024 5:06 PM

It's a tactical move to keep a very divisive issue from ruining a very easy win for Labour. The amount of will it will require to rejoin the EU is quite a large undertaking. It's not that it's not possible, but it is a massive risk for anyone running for office in the UK right now and Starmer is playing at smart by getting those euroskeptic cultists out of office before even starting discussions. Expect the conversation to be extremely different in three to five years, unless context changes somehow.

by Anonymousreply 425June 23, 2024 5:15 PM

A supermajority isn’t a thing in the UK; it’s a term borrowed from US politics, where it has actual meaning.

by Anonymousreply 426June 23, 2024 5:19 PM

The word is LANDSLIDE not super majority.

Starmer is astute enough to realise the damage the opposition to leaving the EU post referendum did to general trust in politics.

The Tories won the election in 2015 with a manifesto commitment to hold a referendum. MPs voted to have the referendum, they voted to trigger article 50 but then voted repeatedly against a deal when Theresa May's deal was the best option on the table, one which the EU compromised a lot on.

All those fucking marches with cunts in blue berets irritated the fuck out of me and I voted to stay in the EU.

by Anonymousreply 427June 23, 2024 5:32 PM

Boris and his legion of sycophants purposefully sabotaged Theresa May purely to get into no.10

by Anonymousreply 428June 23, 2024 5:37 PM

It's the Eurskeptics in the European Research Group. They had been working towards Brexit since the mid-90s, and have been planning it since they were in school together at Oxbridge. People like Boris Johnson and Jacob Rees-Mogg. Dig deep enough into this and you'll see that many of these people have been lifelong friends, and have been moving between "journalism" and politics. It is a little cult of Brexit, in this election is monumental because they are finally going to lose their power after almost 30 years.

by Anonymousreply 429June 23, 2024 5:39 PM

[quote]The word is LANDSLIDE not super majority.

Probably Grant Shapps used 'super-majority' because it sounds more technical, and avoids the powerful punitive impact of 'landslide.' Had a Cabinet Minister actually used the latter word at this stage it would have been seen as openly defeatist and disloyal.

by Anonymousreply 430June 23, 2024 5:41 PM

The super majority nonsense is a tactic to scare people. It's this and the 1970s Labour party nostalgia that gets brought up when they have nothing left.

by Anonymousreply 431June 23, 2024 5:48 PM

Well, in fairness, I immigrated to the UK some 28 years ago but don’t recall a concurrence of U.S. and UK elections as we have this year. I may have inadvertently used the American phrase which I thought was being used in the UK election and press.

by Anonymousreply 432June 23, 2024 6:12 PM

*immigrated from the U.S. to the UK

by Anonymousreply 433June 23, 2024 6:12 PM

You can currently get odds of 2.25 for the Tories to win 100 seats or more. 99 seats or less is 1.83.

I'd invest in 2.25

by Anonymousreply 434June 23, 2024 7:12 PM

R422, does this help?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 435June 23, 2024 9:24 PM

Or this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 436June 23, 2024 9:24 PM

Or this?

How's the wifi under your rock, anyway?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 437June 23, 2024 9:24 PM

R435 R436 R437 = MARY!

by Anonymousreply 438June 23, 2024 9:26 PM

Gambling scandal is owning the news cycle. The self-harm just won't stop!

by Anonymousreply 439June 24, 2024 10:39 AM

R435, etc. are you only able to link to non-EU English-language articles that don't actually give the figures for the results of the European Parliament elections?

Link to an article that has the actual figures for the MEPs in each grouping and what their actual policy agendas are and then explain how that is right wing.

By the way, from your Bloomberg link: [quote]Sørhus added she doesn’t expect the European Union’s new Parliament to backtrack on existing laws and regulations, which have been revised recently to ensure the bloc reaches its goal of slashing emissions 55% by 2030 compared to 1990 levels.

By the way, California's carbon prices have fallen over 33% this year, twice the fall of the EU's. Does that mean California has shifted to the right? How about American car buyers buying fewer EVs than predicted and sticking with internal combustion cars? Does that mean they shifted to the right?

by Anonymousreply 440June 24, 2024 10:42 AM

[quote]Gambling scandal is owning the news cycle.

The Home Secretary had to deny any knowledge that fellow Cabinet Members are involved. But just the question and perception are deeply damaging of course. Tories are so much on the back foot they're bound to try lashing out with some eleventh-hour Labour smear. The final debate on Wednesday will be lively.

by Anonymousreply 441June 24, 2024 11:21 AM

You can get odds as high as 2.53 for Labour beating the local independent candidate in Islington North.

There is money to be made in this election and not just by Tories.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 442June 24, 2024 12:01 PM

R440, you're a moron. Enough with you.

by Anonymousreply 443June 24, 2024 12:01 PM

R433. No you didn’t. You emigrated from the US to the UK.

But you didn’t immigrate from the US to the UK.

by Anonymousreply 444June 24, 2024 12:14 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 445June 24, 2024 12:24 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 446June 24, 2024 12:24 PM

In "OH JUST FUCK OFF" news today a candidate near me challenging a safe seat is angry that a newspaper uncovered a recent drink driving conviction and her supporters are claiming it's a plot to stop her winning.

by Anonymousreply 447June 25, 2024 3:16 PM

A Labour betting scandal, this time the Labour candidate in a safe Tory seat where the Tory MP defected to Labour a few months ago.

Inadvisable but not comparable with the election date betting which is akin to insider trading.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 448June 25, 2024 4:26 PM

[QUOTE]the Tory MP defected to Labour a few months ago.

This sounds so bizarre to me (American). There's no such thing as such a short-term defection in our politics. What was s/he thinking in that particular district?

I love British politics threads because you, at least, manage to appear mostly civil though probably equally rancorous (Excel spreadsheets about who fucked whom, where and how!?) and your Tories don't, at least, appear to be as inherently malevolent as the GOP.

by Anonymousreply 449June 26, 2024 6:08 AM

What's difficult for me to understand is how the British accept all this carpet-bagging when it comes to their MPs, just accepting the parties inserting this person and that from other random places to represent them in parliament. Rishi Sunak didn't grow up anywhere near Yorkshire, for example, and will leave his constituency in the dust as soon as he's finished with his parliamentary career.

by Anonymousreply 450June 26, 2024 6:31 AM

Boebert won her primary through carpetbagging.

by Anonymousreply 451June 26, 2024 7:35 AM

[quote]This sounds so bizarre to me (American). There's no such thing as such a short-term defection in our politics. What was s/he thinking in that particular district?

The Conservative in question is a doctor and when he announced he was joining the Labour Party he cited the Tory government's management of the NHS as a reason. He is standing down at this election.

There are good reasons for people to quit their parties, such as the MPs bullied out of Labour by Corbyn's online fans. Some of them joined the Liberal Democrats.

[quote]What's difficult for me to understand is how the British accept all this carpet-bagging when it comes to their MPs, just accepting the parties inserting this person and that from other random places to represent them in parliament. Rishi Sunak didn't grow up anywhere near Yorkshire, for example, and will leave his constituency in the dust as soon as he's finished with his parliamentary career.

William Hague was the MP for Richmond for years. When he announced he was standing down the local Tory party were able to shortlist, interview and vote for a new candidate. They picked Rishi Sunak who was on a list of Tory candidates looking for a seat.

There is a long history of politicians representing areas they aren't from and politics is all the better for it. Tony Blair had no allegiance to Sedgfield, and Jim Callaghan had no link to Cardiff.

Some "local" MPs in safe seats are the laziest cunts you could come across and think they have a right to their seat. The Momentum backed candidates showed that. Labour have been accused of "parachuting" its preferred candidates into safe seats and some of those have been really effective MPs, clever people who understand policy and are good at government.

by Anonymousreply 452June 26, 2024 7:37 AM

And while non local candidates do make good MPs, it will never not be funny to see people like Eddie Izzard traipsing around the country claiming links to certain cities in the hope that will endear him to people.

Some of Eddie's promises: he will live in the constituency - big fucking deal! He will hold public meetings and surgeries in the constituency - the absolute bare minimum!

by Anonymousreply 453June 26, 2024 7:51 AM

Sorry I don't think that a system designed to give regional representation and gives outsized votes to rural areas should have MPs who are not from the areas that they represent. This is not government by the people, but a selective oligarchy.

by Anonymousreply 454June 26, 2024 8:36 AM

^ Tommy Tuberville scoffs at you, as well as us.

by Anonymousreply 455June 26, 2024 9:00 AM

[quote]Sorry I don't think that a system designed to give regional representation and gives outsized votes to rural areas should have MPs who are not from the areas that they represent. This is not government by the people, but a selective oligarchy.

Not sure what you mean by "outsized votes".

In 2019 Richmond constituency had an electorate of 83,219. By comparison Keir Starmer's seat Holborn & St Pancras had an electorate of 75,475.

In 2019 Bristol West was one of the largest, due to population increases and had an electorate of 84,571 and neighbouring Bristol South had 80,999.

The boundary review looks at oddities like that and tries to rebalance.

The Isle of Wight was the largest constituency in 2019 with 113,021 and has been split in two. Having been Tory/Liberal for the last century it could elect 2 Labour MPs, one of them being the blind trans lesbian Miss Emily Brothers.

by Anonymousreply 456June 26, 2024 9:16 AM

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 457June 26, 2024 9:35 AM

And the children will lead them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 458June 26, 2024 9:36 AM

Further analysis by FT on how this election will get a disproportionate result, this time in favour of Labour and to the Tories over Reform.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 459June 26, 2024 9:42 AM

Further analysis by FT on how this election will get a disproportionate result, this time in favour of Labour and to the Tories over Reform.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 460June 26, 2024 9:43 AM

I've always been in favour of PR but looking at the shitshow in the Scottish Parliament with the influence of the Green nutters and the impending paralysis in the Welsh Senedd I'm very unsure.

People were outraged the DUP negotiated more funding for Northern Ireland when Theresa May lost her majority - what do these people think would happen under PR?

The Lib Dems are still being blamed for compromising on tuition fees when they went into coalition.

So FPTP is far from perfect but it stops Nigel Farage or the left wing nutters influencing the government then it's not a bad thing.

by Anonymousreply 461June 26, 2024 9:53 AM

So no proportional or locally-based representation because it's just too volatile and inexperienced. Got it.

by Anonymousreply 462June 26, 2024 10:02 AM

An electoral system that keeps extremist fringe groups out - and I'd include the Scottish Greens and George Galloway in that description - is a good thing.

by Anonymousreply 463June 26, 2024 10:27 AM

It’s fucking frightening how much support the Reform Party is getting. Not simply because of what they stand for but just how turned off the country is to the two major parties. This makes it much easier for some fringe group to get into power or at the very least have a real say in what goes on in the country. The country still thinks Brexit was ideal. It’s fucking insane. I’m not even a big EU supporter, but come on, someone needs to be held accountable for having no plan once Brexit got passed. Ironically, Labour was historically anti-EU and conservatives were pro. Corbyn was old school, which is why he didn’t speak out enough about Brexit, infuriating millions. The country is just a total mess.

by Anonymousreply 464June 26, 2024 10:30 AM

It didn't help keep the ERG Euroskeptic extremists or the anti-Good Friday Agreement Stormont shutdown DUP out, R463, and look where you all are now?

by Anonymousreply 465June 26, 2024 10:40 AM

The DUP never entered government. There was an unofficial agreement between them and the Tories which was bad for democracy. And in a turn that was genuinely ironic, when the DUP was at its most powerful in Westminster, Westminster imposed same sex marriage and legal abortions on Northern Ireland. Ha!

As for the ERG, they were an influential part of the Conservative Party and Tory Party policy was made to accommodate them and it won an election.

The concept of being in or out of the EU or having a referendum on membership is not extreme. Caroline Lucas and Nick Clegg both supported a referendum before the Tories promised it in 2015.

The Tories were able to win on that policy because Labour under Miliband and then Corbyn moved away from the centre.

by Anonymousreply 466June 26, 2024 10:59 AM

You're being disingenuous. The ERG position was extreme and took control of the party and No 10 when Theresa May didn't deliver the deal they wanted.

by Anonymousreply 467June 26, 2024 11:04 AM

Yes, the deal May negotiated wasn't pure enough for the ERG, and there were some Tories who opposed it to advance their own careers in the hope Theresa May would resign.

But Labour were just as bad and opposed May's deal when provided everything they wanted.

Of course had May won the majority that was being expected early on in the 2017 campaign she may have been able to pass the deal. Who knows.

by Anonymousreply 468June 26, 2024 11:12 AM

R450 It's always been that way because, in general elections, most people vote for the party rather than the person standing as their MP. So they don't really care where said person originates from.

by Anonymousreply 469June 26, 2024 11:14 AM

And with the state of local councils and infrastructure throughout the UK, it looks like not caring where said person originates from has worked a real treat.

by Anonymousreply 470June 26, 2024 11:29 AM

Never ceases to amaze me how dazzled the British voter is by toffs.

by Anonymousreply 471June 26, 2024 11:30 AM

[quote]Never ceases to amaze me how dazzled the British voter is by toffs.

Given the Bullingdon Club types such as Cameron, Johnson and Osbourne, not to mention pseudo-grandee Rees-Mogg, I'd say the bloom has long departed that rose.

by Anonymousreply 472June 26, 2024 11:41 AM

[quote]And with the state of local councils and infrastructure throughout the UK, it looks like not caring where said person originates from has worked a real treat.

Councils and local authorities are by definition run by local people who make up the local parties. And in parts of the country they run the local services for the benefit of the local parties not the wider communities. Look at the history of corruption in Liverpool whenever the hard left get involved.

In Wales a senior politician killed himself after being accused by multiple women of sexual harassment. His local party picked a local replacement - the dead politician's son.

by Anonymousreply 473June 26, 2024 12:15 PM

You are full cunt's tricks, aren't you? Parliament is failing councils on public housing, on homelessness, on HS2, on NHS, and so many more issues but there you go pointing to individual cases to refute systemic problems.

by Anonymousreply 474June 26, 2024 12:19 PM

Whataboutism is a rhetorical strategy used to deflect criticism by raising a different issue. It's a tactic commonly used in online trolling to derail conversations and avoid addressing the original point.

Here's how whataboutism works:

* Someone makes a criticism or accusation.

* The troll responds by bringing up a seemingly unrelated issue or wrongdoing by someone else.

The goal is to distract from the original issue and make the criticism seem less significant. By focusing on someone else's flaws, the troll avoids having to defend their own position.

by Anonymousreply 475June 26, 2024 12:21 PM

[quote]You are full cunt's tricks, aren't you? Parliament is failing councils on public housing, on homelessness, on HS2, on NHS, and so many more issues but there you go pointing to individual cases to refute systemic problems.

AND THIS IS NOT THE FAULT OF HAVING MPS WHO REPRESENT AREAS THEY HAVE NO CONNECTION TO.

by Anonymousreply 476June 26, 2024 12:23 PM

R470 To be honest, I don't think it happens that often. I have a postal vote, and from my ballot paper, 5 of the 6 candidates either live in the area or just outside.

The Tory is being parachuted in from a neighbouring constituency - presumably because the Tories are predicted to lose it, so they've stitched up some poor sap and given the incumbent MP our safer seat. Yes I do live in a constituency that the Tories are predicted to win, despite the shit show of the past 14 years. As the saying goes, you could stick a blue rosette on a cow here and they'd vote for it.

I think what someone said earlier is true, though, that the Tories are right leaning but are nothing like the Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 477June 26, 2024 12:33 PM

All parties parachute candidates in. This is a British problem, not a Tory problem.

by Anonymousreply 478June 26, 2024 1:01 PM

Part of the issue is a governing party needs about a 100 reasonably functioning MPs out of the 300 or so that usually makes up a ruling party to give jobs to as ministers etc. This is obviously different from the US Congress, where it can seem to outsiders that there is next to no quality control. An amount of judicious parachuting in of loyal and competent prospects into constituencies is almost unavoidable. However, usually this doesn't happen and even if an outsider applies, the choice is made by the local party. A candidate is imposed if there is a problem with the functioning of a local party or an election happens unexpectedly. Overwhelmingly, however, MPs are reasonably local to their constituencies, as has been pointed out.

by Anonymousreply 479June 26, 2024 2:13 PM

Sounds like a copout that fuels the north/south and London/rest of the country divides. Makes it easy to close the mines and just let those communities be destroyed when the time comes, doesn't it?

by Anonymousreply 480June 26, 2024 2:26 PM

I guess it depends what you think the role of an MP is.

Is mainly to act on behalf of your constituents and represent their views? If so then elect a local person who knows the area inside out.

Do you also expect your MP to form part of a government or opposition, develop policy, scrutinise legislation, sit on committees and hold people to account, e.g. the post office managers.

by Anonymousreply 481June 26, 2024 2:36 PM

Every single MP's website offers constituent services. You're doing whataboutism shit.

by Anonymousreply 482June 26, 2024 2:41 PM

Britain has a long history of having representatives in both houses of parliament with narrow interests like Oxbridge, religion/clergy, and property ownership. God forbid in this modern age we expect our locally-elected representatives to national governing bodies represent our local interests, not some general paternalist crap.

by Anonymousreply 483June 26, 2024 2:44 PM

There used to be a joke that the chair of the local conservative party would select candidates who would make good husbands for their daughters, which was why so many privately educated younger men were picked.

by Anonymousreply 484June 26, 2024 5:21 PM

[quote]Every single MP's website offers constituent services. You're doing whataboutism shit.

And you're not responding to anything I actually said. All MPs have busy constituency offices and some get accused of greed because they claim for so many staff.

There are MPs who are "local MPs" who spend a huge amount of time in their constituency and work on local issues. They have no ambition to take office or take on a particular policy area, they are just happy to be an MP.

And there are other people who are ambitious who are interested in taking forward legislation in specific areas or developing long term policy. That's fine as well. It's not a case of either or, it's a case of both.

by Anonymousreply 485June 26, 2024 7:22 PM

I can't respond to anything you say because you dartt from subject to subject, avoiding what I'm saying or using a small sample size to point out a problem that isn't there. You're doing it now by not dealing with my response around The legacy of the types of seats that were in the houses of parliament, and how it lends to a disconnection from local constituent needs in favour party ideology, cult of personality, or what the fuck ever you've got.

You also use a very haughty, stratified tone, as if we should be transfixed by your supposed finger being on the pulse of things. In addition, half to shit you say doesn't get answered because your approach is too heavy on style points. Yet here you are, whining your way out of it.

by Anonymousreply 486June 26, 2024 7:30 PM

Pardon the typos; voice to text

by Anonymousreply 487June 26, 2024 7:32 PM

R477 makes a good point; the American Republican Party would be a fringe right-wing party in any other Western democracy. The Democrats would be the mainstream center-right party -- they're closer to the Tories, ideologically, than the Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 488June 26, 2024 8:08 PM

The Democrats would be fringe loons in Europe, especially with their deranged support for puberty blockers.

by Anonymousreply 489June 26, 2024 8:39 PM

R464 that really spells disaster for the Conservatives. They’re likely to lose every single seat.

by Anonymousreply 490June 27, 2024 12:03 AM

The rise of Reform is also a threat to Labour, r490. Why would the Conservatives be likely to lose every single seat, though?

by Anonymousreply 491June 27, 2024 8:49 AM

The bifurcation of the conservative movement in the United Kingdom is a real boon for Labour. Will be very interesting to see how NI votes, too. Sinn Fein does not send their elected MPs to Westminster, so it may be the Alliance gaining at foothold in Parliament.

by Anonymousreply 492June 27, 2024 8:58 AM

[quote] The bifurcation of the conservative movement in the United Kingdom is a real boon for Labour.

If it lasts. Given the previous rise of the BNP and UKIP only really functioned to push the Tories to the right while those parties essentially collapsed and the voters went back to the Conservatives I don't really expect much of a change this time.

by Anonymousreply 493June 27, 2024 9:40 AM

The BNP are nowhere near the same as UKIP and only ever received a tiny amount of the vote when they stood in elections.

The BNP under Nick Griffin were as far right as you could get with demands to forcibly remove black people to their country of origin, even if they were born in Britain. Their policy was to ban abortions unless the woman was white and had been made pregnant by a black man. the BNP's former leader Nick Griffin backed Corbyn to be Prime Minister and now appears on the podcasts of Jew hating Islamists - it seems he hates Jews more than brown and black people.

UKIP started as UK nationalist party with a policy of leaving the European Union, consistently did well in European Parliament elections (PR and low turnout = lots of seats) and has gradually become a populist nationalist anti establishment anti immigrant party.

by Anonymousreply 494June 27, 2024 11:03 AM

It'll be interesting to see if Reform lasts. The vox populi interviews I'm seeing are mostly elderly people talking about what a relatable straight shooter Farage is. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 495June 27, 2024 11:13 AM

When the landslide happens Farage will continue his momentum by pressing home how ineffective a leader Sunak was, who 'didn't understand English culture.' It's likely his shouting will be strenuous enough for the Tory men in grey suits to let Rishi know his time is up. And thus smug Farage will claim another victory.

Labour's mandate will be so strong and widespread that Reform's voice will be muted, if still evident with persistent attempts at controversial initiatives. The dreaded possibility of a Trump victory could embolden Farage too ludicrously far, to make yet more Putin-friendly type remarks which again - finally? - render him beyond the pale.

by Anonymousreply 496June 27, 2024 11:33 AM

[quote]It's likely his shouting will be strenuous enough for the Tory men in grey suits to let Rishi know his time is up.

Oh hun, Farage will play no role in Sunak quitting after the election.

by Anonymousreply 497June 27, 2024 11:36 AM

There's no question Sunak will resign anyway.

In Parliamentary politics the leader almost invariably resigns after losing government.

Plus, he and the wife are loaded. They don't need this nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 498June 27, 2024 12:09 PM

He's going to done out on that unelected PM title for the rest of his life. Truss can't because she's a laughingstock, but he will.

by Anonymousreply 499June 27, 2024 12:18 PM

[quote]He's going to done out on that unelected PM title for the rest of his life.

Just like "unelected" Gordon Brown was ridiculed and branded a squatter.

by Anonymousreply 500June 27, 2024 2:07 PM

And rightly so. He screwed it up.

by Anonymousreply 501June 27, 2024 2:10 PM

The whole "unelected" title is crap, even for imbeciles like Humza Yousaf.

We don't have a presidential system in the UK where people vote for a party leader. Yes, the recent turmoil in the Tory Party has led to a succession of Prime Ministers but a party in government changing its leader is hardly controversial.

In my life time there was Wilson who retired, replaced by Callaghan. Thatcher was given an assisted retirement succeeded by Major. Blair retired, succeeded by Brown. All normal. Even Cameron who resigned after a catastrophic policy failure being replaced by May was relatively normal.

by Anonymousreply 502June 27, 2024 2:21 PM

Not I'm not saying the SNP's campaign is going badly but John Swinney is blaming Scotland's woes on Thatcher.

That's the SNP who has been in power for 17 years blaming Margaret Thatcher who left office 34 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 503June 27, 2024 3:35 PM

Right, R502, but the chaos that happened after May was anything but normal. Three in five years is not stable. They didn't retire, they didn't die, it was regicide (well earned in Truss' case.). It is a convention of parliamentary party politics but not in breathless succession.

by Anonymousreply 504June 27, 2024 4:05 PM

It's been existential hell and I'm glad many pages are being turned.

by Anonymousreply 505June 27, 2024 4:08 PM

Sunak says he doesn't want people 'sleepwalking' into a Labour government. Because obviously the masses of Labour voters aren't really awake, and have no agency. Or maybe among many other issues they want to see the back of a condescending pipsqueak as soon as possible.

by Anonymousreply 506June 27, 2024 5:18 PM

I presume he's referring to Tory voters who aren't going to vote for the party this time and may instead vote for Reform, r506.

by Anonymousreply 507June 27, 2024 5:30 PM

This time next week we’ll have had the exit poll and an hour of crying and shaking and tears and regrets.

by Anonymousreply 508June 27, 2024 10:08 PM

Channel 4 got some choice racism and homophobia from Reform UK candidates on an undercover camera.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 509June 28, 2024 1:58 PM

And we are all shocked, r509!!!

What really shocks me, though, is that anyone might think that this isn’t just base-line, grass-roots ideology for Reformers.

by Anonymousreply 510June 28, 2024 3:29 PM

It'll be diverting tonight to watch Farage on Question Time deal with the toxic squalor of those who would follow him onto the sunny uplands of a better UK. Notable how he constantly attracts such charming intelligent ideologues. Good luck with that ten-year plan, Farrago.

by Anonymousreply 511June 28, 2024 3:39 PM

[quote] The Democrats would be fringe loons in Europe, especially with their deranged support for puberty blockers.

Uh, Labour has supported that shit for years, dummy.

by Anonymousreply 512June 28, 2024 4:01 PM

[quote] Labour's mandate will be so strong and widespread that

Sure, Jan.

by Anonymousreply 513June 28, 2024 4:01 PM

Sunak is hurt by the leopards eating his face.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 514June 28, 2024 5:29 PM

The first question for Reform's Nigel Farage comes from Mark Corden: "What is it about you and your party that attracts racists and extremists, whether you want them or not?

by Anonymousreply 515June 28, 2024 7:35 PM

It's quite amusing that Scottish nationalist twitter went mad because Fiona Bruce dared to interrupt Skull Flynn last night and here is Fiona Bruce rattling Farage like a sally army tin with her interjections.

HE DOESN'T LIKE IT UP HIM

by Anonymousreply 516June 28, 2024 7:47 PM

All the slebs are coming out for Labour. Elton John, the John Snow guy from Game Of Thrones, Beverley Knight, and some other slebs.

by Anonymousreply 517June 29, 2024 6:53 PM

Reasons why the SNP will lose so many seats

1. Rishi Sunak called an election when Scottish people were going on holiday

2. Journalists kept interrupting Scottish politicians

3. Scottish councils, half of which are run by the SNP, can't get their arses in gear and send out postal votes on time

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 518June 29, 2024 7:20 PM

THREE DAYS

by Anonymousreply 519July 1, 2024 11:37 AM

I've got two bottles of champagne in the fridge for Thursday night!

by Anonymousreply 520July 1, 2024 11:43 AM

Will it rain again for Rishi's exit speech?

by Anonymousreply 521July 1, 2024 11:52 AM

Labour aren't ideal, but they're a darn site better than the Tories, so I hope the predicted Labour majority happens.

I think Reform will get more seats than initially predicted, but I'm hoping they'll mostly split the Tory vote to allow Labour victories.

Wondering who (if anyone) will get a Portillo moment... Really looking forward to seeing the unbearable Johnny Mercer lose his seat, per the predictions. Esther McVey and Liz Truss might lose theirs, too. Sadly Suella Braverman and Kemi Badenoch look set to cling on.

I live in a seat which is still predicted to go Tory in every poll, despite the national mood. Despite that, I'm still voting.

by Anonymousreply 522July 1, 2024 12:33 PM

r521 Going by how shit the weather is this summer almost certainly

by Anonymousreply 523July 1, 2024 12:45 PM

I hope Sunak is all packed up! Along with the rest of the Tory cunts.

by Anonymousreply 524July 1, 2024 3:50 PM

In London Thursday is set to be sunny, Friday a chance of light rain occasionally

by Anonymousreply 525July 1, 2024 4:01 PM

With all the talk about betting last week I had a flutter.

I bet in Labour winning Islington North being won by Labour before the Survation poll put them ahead and when Corbyn was the favourite. I can now cash out at a profit but I'll wait for Friday. I can also cash out at a profit on the SNP winning under 19 seats but again I'll hold on.

Labour winning Bristol Central is pretty static and the Greens are favourites but I'm hoping for the best.

The biggest bet is the Tories winning 150-199 seats. I think they'll get around 130-160 seats. If I lose that bet and the get under 150 I won't be to sad.

by Anonymousreply 526July 1, 2024 5:36 PM

This is gonna sound a bit MARY! but it's got to the point that I can't even listen to any Tory politician now. They sound like robotic cunts repeating the party line that they've likely been told to parrot in multiple WhatsApp groups.

I know expecting to see any humility is too great an ask, but it's the fact they keep going on about the same shit, despite knowing hardly anyone believes them anymore.

by Anonymousreply 527July 1, 2024 7:50 PM

Sunak is obviously going to have all the blame heaped on his shoulders, but he’s really never stood a chance. Johnson and Truss destroyed any chance of victory before Sunak took office. However, the Conservative campaign has just been pitiful. No energy, no strategy, no credibility. And so many of the party’s big hitters of the past 14 years have just given up and are invisible at the moment.

In many ways, this government hasn’t been defeated: it just died.

by Anonymousreply 528July 1, 2024 9:14 PM

In news that will surprise no one, Miriam Cates has been exposed as being trustee of a church that endorsed conversion therapy.

Another one that will hopefully lose her seat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 529July 1, 2024 10:22 PM

My prediction: The Tories end up with fewer than 25 seats, with the Lib-Dems becoming His Majesty’s Official Opposition.

by Anonymousreply 530July 2, 2024 12:43 AM

[quote]This is gonna sound a bit MARY! but it's got to the point that I can't even listen to any Tory politician now.

It's not MARY! at all R527. Totally understand and am in the same place as you.

by Anonymousreply 531July 2, 2024 1:54 AM

R520 so just another champagne socialist.

by Anonymousreply 532July 2, 2024 7:50 AM

R527 repeatedly using the word cunt makes you sound so butch and manly. I am picturing you as a scaffolder, or maybe you drive a garbage truck?

by Anonymousreply 533July 2, 2024 7:54 AM

Tell me you're not from the British and Celtic Isles without telling me you're not from the British Celtic Isles, r533.

by Anonymousreply 534July 2, 2024 8:24 AM

R533 I only used it once! It's definitely applicable to Tories, though, given they're the lowest of the low.

But no, I don't choose my words based on how I think strangers on DL will perceive me.

by Anonymousreply 535July 2, 2024 8:25 AM

R534 Well, it was "garbage truck" that did it for me. Definitely not from the UK and yet seems to be annoyed about me (and others) calling the Tories what they are.

by Anonymousreply 536July 2, 2024 8:26 AM

Reform candidate defects to Tories because Reform is too racist. Love these rats eating their own.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 537July 2, 2024 9:52 AM

R537 Farage will just say it's fake news and that she was a plant or something.

I watched a speech their top donor gave at their rally recently. It was full of the usual "Make Britain great again and extol British values. The media will attack us but we'll remain strong and we will win!!"

Usual populist bollocks taken straight from Trump's MO. It's so obviously a copy and paste job from him that it makes it sadder than it would be otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 538July 2, 2024 10:06 AM

Considering the amount of media coverage Diane Abbott got 185 years ago when the election was called it feels like only now is Farage/Reform are under sustained pressure from the media regarding scrutiny of their party. Which is fine frankly as it will hopefully deter people voting for them.

The SNP are now focusing on Gaza over Glasgow where they are certain to lose all their seats there despite the large Muslim population they are appealing to with that specific message.

And Stephen Flynn making clear he wants Switzerland to beat England will motivate some voters. I really hope that smug fucker loses his seat.

by Anonymousreply 539July 2, 2024 11:12 AM

The SNP are a lot like Sinn Fein — only useful when the prospects of independence/reunification are real. The Scottish know the gamble they took on the SNP got them a failed referendum twice and far less of a voice in Westminster, so none of the trends are a surprise.

by Anonymousreply 540July 2, 2024 11:33 AM

[quote]Which is fine frankly as it will hopefully deter people voting for them.

Nothing elevates an election campaign like a Prime Minister on camera quoting a Reform supporter describing him as a "F-----g P--i." But as Farage claims in defence of his 'party', some of them are very fine people. Or words to that effect, in echo of his criminal US mentor.

by Anonymousreply 541July 2, 2024 12:20 PM

Survation is an oddity. Huge Labour majority predicted but they have the Greens winning a seat that isn't one of their targets and not winning their main target Bristol Central.

It has Kirsty "I don't know what sex I am" Blackman keeping her Aberdeen North for the SNP by 0.6 but Stephen Flynn losing Aberdeen South.

Just under 48 hours to go!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 542July 2, 2024 6:52 PM

Crazy to think that in the next few days, the British media could be split between coverage of the first Labour government in 14 years and the first resignation of a US president in 50 years.

by Anonymousreply 543July 2, 2024 7:51 PM

Which US president is about to resign, r543?

by Anonymousreply 544July 2, 2024 9:20 PM

The best we can hope for is a hung parliament of Lib Dems, Greens, and independents.

by Anonymousreply 545July 2, 2024 9:59 PM

[quote]The best we can hope for is a hung parliament of Lib Dems, Greens, and independents.

Owen Jones has logged in! Hi Owen! Fuck off Owen!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 546July 3, 2024 6:45 AM

A Tory Cabinet Minister just calmly said on BBC radio that the biggest majority in electoral history is now not unlikely. As though the best face the Tories can now put on this is to let us know they won't be surprised by a tumultuous record-breaking landslide.

by Anonymousreply 547July 3, 2024 6:54 AM

The final countdown until Starmergeddon.

by Anonymousreply 548July 3, 2024 7:21 AM

Or maybe it's a tactic to mobilise Tory voters to go out and vote and not to switch their vote to Reform, r547.

It may be the biggest landslide in UK electoral history in terms of seats won but not in terms of votes won. And that's the perversity of the UK electoral system - with 40% of the votes a party could win 70% of the seats in parliament.

by Anonymousreply 549July 3, 2024 7:25 AM

The Tory attacks on supermajorities are objectively funny but a government of any form with an ineffective opposition will be catastrophic.

There's a story today about Harriet Harman being made the new chair of the Equality & Human Rights Commission, an independent body which has investigated both the Labour Party and the UK Government. That former deputy leader of the Labour Party should be considered for that job should set alarm bells ringing.

by Anonymousreply 550July 3, 2024 7:31 AM

Sounds like a 'scare story, R550. The Tories are desperate now. They are clearly positioning themselves for a claim that anything over 100 seats is a huge success.

by Anonymousreply 551July 3, 2024 7:55 AM

R542 Yeah I downloaded Survation's data and the map you've posted there doesn't fully tally with their spreadsheet either. But it's all guess work anyway. I very much doubt Labour will win that many seats.

R546 Owen Jones does my head in. I used to defend him, but his journey from being a lifelong Labour member and supporter to actively opposing them at every turn (just because they distanced themselves from Corbyn) is laughable. It's sour grapes on steroids.

by Anonymousreply 552July 3, 2024 8:01 AM

Here’s a list of the nepo babies running. Labour is sneaking many into Parliament this general election. I’m in one of these constituencies. It doesn’t bother me because I reckon the new nepo-MP will receive open doors and advantages that may ultimately help my local area.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 553July 3, 2024 8:15 AM

[quote] A Tory Cabinet Minister just calmly said on BBC radio that the biggest majority in electoral history is now not unlikely. As though the best face the Tories can now put on this is to let us know they won't be surprised by a tumultuous record-breaking landslide.

The Tories are betting the house on talking up the Labour victory, in the hope that it will make people think that it is a foregone conclusion and (crucially) to encourage anti-Tory tactical voters NOT to vote tactically for the Labour/LibDem candidate best placed to oust Tory MPs. They are arguing that it looks likely that Labour will have a huge majority anyway, so LibDems/Greens/SNP voters don’t need to lend their vote to Labour.

It’s a high-risk strategy because it makes the Conservatives look like a lost cause, and could cause their own voters to give up and stay at home.

by Anonymousreply 554July 3, 2024 8:17 AM

R554 Good point. It's why Labour keep saying to ignore the polls and vote - ie don't be complacent and assume a Labour victory is in the bag. In reality I doubt it'll make much difference.

People who usually vote will almost certainly do so and the lazy fools who can never be arsed will continue to sit and home and do nothing (other than complain of course).

by Anonymousreply 555July 3, 2024 9:51 AM

[quote]Sounds like a 'scare story, [R550]. The Tories are desperate now. They are clearly positioning themselves for a claim that anything over 100 seats is a huge success.

It's not a scare story. You honestly think Labour are above putting their own people in influential jobs? Something they did under Blair, something they've done for years in Wales and the SNP have done in Scotland?

But you agree with me that it would be appalling judgment for Labour to appoint a former deputy leader to a role where independence is paramount?

And as for the "nepo baby" list from Guido, what a fucking stretch for some of them. "ex partner"?

My favourite nepo baby instances are Jack Sargeant inheriting his father's Senedd seat after his sex pest father killed himself and Tory MP Natalie Elphicke being picked as candidate after her rapist husband was charged before the 2019 election.

by Anonymousreply 556July 3, 2024 10:07 AM

Who takes notice of Guido Fawkes? While I think it's important to read a wide range of sources, there are some that I won't click on and Guido is one of them. Surely I'm not alone?

by Anonymousreply 557July 3, 2024 10:20 AM

This particular case seems far-fetched, R556, popping up in the late stages of an election campaign, hence it comes across as a scare story. As for candidates, if people don't want a 'nepo-baby' they can just not vote for them. I'd take a competent 'nepo-baby' over a seat-warming 'buggins-turn' candidate or lifelong student-activist' type any day

by Anonymousreply 558July 3, 2024 11:50 AM

[QUOTE]And that's the perversity of the UK electoral system - with 40% of the votes a party could win 70% of the seats in parliament.

Is this as bad as the American Electoral College?

by Anonymousreply 559July 3, 2024 1:05 PM

What does the American Electoral College have to do with the UK general election, r559?

by Anonymousreply 560July 3, 2024 1:24 PM

R560 he was just asking a question! Jesus, unclench!

R559, I would argue it's worse than the Electoral College in that its distortions can be even greater: e.g. Labour might win 40% of the vote but they look like getting around 66% of the total seats in the House of Commons.

by Anonymousreply 561July 3, 2024 2:12 PM

The Sun's decided at the 11th hour to back Labour. No doubt they'll spend the next decade saying this was a crucial factor in Labours victory like they did with Blair.

by Anonymousreply 562July 3, 2024 2:52 PM

R562 It's The Sun wot won it!

Or, as I've just seen somoene else say: "It was the won wot Sun it".

by Anonymousreply 563July 3, 2024 2:56 PM

[quote]The Sun's decided at the 11th hour to back Labour.

So very harsh to disappoint their natural devoted hordes of Reform voters.

by Anonymousreply 564July 3, 2024 3:12 PM

Backing Labour, even with the most begrudging endorsement, is so painful for many of the management team there who still personally loathe Starmer for his role in prosecuting them over phone hacking.

And the SNP will be annoyed that The Scottish Sun is backing Labour too.

I hope the result isn't an anti climax after the last 6 weeks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 565July 3, 2024 4:00 PM

This pretty much reflects the mood in the UK at the moment. The Tories have destroyed themselves, mainly by radicalising their own base to move further to the right than the party is itself, right into Reform’s hands and they scared off centrists. Everyone hates them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 566July 3, 2024 4:36 PM

Oh god Jonathan Pie is fucking awful.

by Anonymousreply 567July 3, 2024 4:38 PM

What R566 said. I think the other killer blow is the Tory's insufferable arrogance and their assumption that they have some Divine Right to power.

The current iteration of the party is just a bunch of deeply horrible people who take the voters for idiots.

by Anonymousreply 568July 3, 2024 4:43 PM

Harriet Harman is a deeply impressive person with decades of political experience. She has the knowledge, the political nous and the authority to be an effective chair of the Equality & Human Rights Commission, irrespective of her party allegiance.

by Anonymousreply 569July 3, 2024 5:27 PM

Fuck, I just read that labour are already looking to increase inheritance tax and capital gains tax.

by Anonymousreply 570July 3, 2024 5:27 PM

R570 - "I've just read..." Really? The Tories and their client media have been spinning scare stories (AKA outright LIES) on overdrive for the past week.

To be honest, I wish Labour would increase inheritance and CGT - it's about time we moved the tax burden away from income from work, and onto income from investments and 'unearned' wealth transfers!

by Anonymousreply 571July 3, 2024 5:34 PM

R571 well let's see what happens, hopefully it's just a scare story as you say.

by Anonymousreply 572July 3, 2024 6:06 PM

[quote]Harriet Harman is a deeply impressive person with decades of political experience. She has the knowledge, the political nous and the authority to be an effective chair of the Equality & Human Rights Commission, irrespective of her party allegiance.

She is the former deputy leader of the party investigated by the EHRC which was found to have broken equality law.. The EHRC's monitoring of Labour ended a year ago. Obviously she was not part of Corbyn's team who responsible for the unlawful harassment of Jews in the Labour Party but there is no scenario in which Harman or any other senior Labour figure would be viewed as appropriate.

The government also needs to hold the EHRC to account through select committee hearings. Kishwer Falkner has equipped herself well against Tories, Labour and SNP MPs. A committee dominated by Labour MPs questioning their party's former leader is also inappropriate.

by Anonymousreply 573July 3, 2024 6:27 PM

I mistyped at R573 - PARLIAMENT - not the government - needs to hold the EHRC to account.

by Anonymousreply 574July 3, 2024 6:38 PM

I have my issues with Starmer, but when it comes down to it he's preferable to the Tories (which is the ultimate in damning with faint praise). Looking forward to a veritable feast of guilt-free Schadenfreude tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 575July 4, 2024 12:45 AM

For those of you in the UK, I urge you to please use your vote. I know it’s a lot of effort to walk all the way to the local voting station, especially for you youngsters, but it’s important.

Also don’t be selfish with your vote, don’t just think of yourself, think of the children, because I sincerely believe that children are our future.

by Anonymousreply 576July 4, 2024 5:40 AM

R576 = Whitney Houston.

by Anonymousreply 577July 4, 2024 5:45 AM

"Sunak is whack"

by Anonymousreply 578July 4, 2024 5:53 AM

I fear the Labour victory will be a huge disaster for the UK.

by Anonymousreply 579July 4, 2024 5:55 AM

Why R579?

by Anonymousreply 580July 4, 2024 6:02 AM

Started a new thread as not much space left here

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 581July 4, 2024 6:41 AM

Today's result is dedicated to DL nemesis and nationalist cunt because Morrissey said so Angry Young Brit. Never forget!

by Anonymousreply 582July 4, 2024 6:43 AM

The what is a woman question has become a wedge issue with British feminists and the media love it.

Harman is already on record as saying trans women are women.

The rest of Labour is all over the map on the issue.

She might be an unhelpful distraction in that post as a result and offered something else. I wonder if the EHRC story was just some reporter having a bit of mischief. Probably the Mail.

by Anonymousreply 583July 4, 2024 11:30 AM

To be honest, what this Election campaign has shown is that - for the moment - the great majority of the British public have much bigger fish to fry (basic living standards, housing, the NHS) than these simplistic, divisive culture war obsessions of the far right and left.

I'm not saying that situation won't change, but the Rwanda scheme, trans issues have all been pretty much on the fringes of average voter concerns.

by Anonymousreply 584July 4, 2024 12:50 PM

How has this election shown that, r584? As for the trans issue being a fringe "culture war" issue, for me as a lesbian it's pretty central to my life. In any case, Starmer's/Labour's slippery, never-quite-defined position on the issue is symbolic of the entire Labour party: they have few explicit policies, always seem to avoid directly confronting issues and the policy changes depending on which Labour party member you just heard speak. Similarly, they always avoid any mention of Brexit, beyond saying they won't join the customs union or single market. If they can't confront the truth about Brexit, then they won't be able to begin to fix the economy.

This is perhaps why the latest IPSOS poll out today puts Labour on just 37% of the vote, with the only reason it's so ahead of the other parties being because Reform are taking votes from the Tories (as well as many Labour voters, precisely because of Starmer's slipperiness). A Labour landslide - if it happens - will only be due to the distortive nature of the first past the post system. Labour have never scored higher in the polls since the election was announced (and I'm not even sure ever before it was announced) than the 43.6% Boris Johnson and the Tories got in 2019.

While there may be a strong desire to get the Tories out after 14 years, there is no strong desire throughout the country for this particular Labour government.

by Anonymousreply 585July 4, 2024 1:29 PM

I don't disagree, R584... it wasn't a major theme of the campaign, but once Labour is in and the inevitable decline in popularity begins - because every government is bankrupt and the only answer is more debt or more taxes since people have little appetite for cuts - but once it's in, trucking in culture war nonsense makes them look even more out of touch and amplifies any mistakes they make. Harriet Harman loves compassion babble. It's not helpful compared to the issues at hand. There's not much enthusiasm for Labour this time, not like Blair's arrival, just so much weariness of the bonkers Conservatives.

by Anonymousreply 586July 4, 2024 1:40 PM

[quote]To be honest, what this Election campaign has shown is that - for the moment - the great majority of the British public have much bigger fish to fry (basic living standards, housing, the NHS) than these simplistic, divisive culture war obsessions of the far right and left.

Of course the sex / gender clash isn't most people's priority but it's not going to go away and Labour will have to get to grips with it in government.

This week there has been a "person" convicted of rape who was a man when the rape was committed but a woman when convicted. There are nurses in an NHS Trust told they have to share a changing room with a male who makes them uncomfortable, there's the Cass Review and the ongoing supply of puberty blockers from private companies abroad, there's the For Women Scotland case which will rule later this year whether a male trans woman with a GRC is legally a woman.

It's not a culture war issue it's a trust issue.

We'll see how seriously Labour take it when Starmer appoints his cabinet. If Anneliese Dodds is given the Equality role in government it's clear he's going to bring in self ID.

by Anonymousreply 587July 4, 2024 1:48 PM

I want to know what Larry The Cat makes of yet another Prime Minister coming to live in his house.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 588July 4, 2024 1:51 PM

I follow Larry on Twitter. He's staunchly Labour.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 589July 4, 2024 2:10 PM

An added bonus of having a competent Labour government will be the disappearance of the shite parody accounts and Twitter wannabes desperate to get a booking on Jeremy Vine or GMTV.

Yeah Femi, fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 590July 4, 2024 2:19 PM

Femi is vile.

by Anonymousreply 591July 4, 2024 2:20 PM

R585 I think people are just generally arseholes these days. I'm not saying things were ever perfect, but it definitely feels like most people are grumps now. It could be due to the state of the country, but people are angry and have different reasons for that anger.

We seem to live in an ever increasing polarised world where everyone's arguing or fucked off. That's why it's practically impossible for any party to 'win'. You mention the trans thing which is a classic example. If Keir Starmer fully agreed with your position on women's rights, I assume you'd be singing his and Labour's praises, but then a huge chunk of the population would label him as transphobic and right wing and would be pissed off.

Most of the whining about Labour can be summarised as: "Well, Starmer doesn't agree 100% with me on this one issue, so he's slippery and he sucks! But the Tories suck, too. In fact they're all fucking awful - fuck them all, nasty pieces of shit", etc.

And while many politicians aren't the best, some people seem to direct all their anger at them and blame them for every single little thing.

by Anonymousreply 592July 4, 2024 3:09 PM

If I was PM I'd be more sorry to leave Larry The Cat than no.10. Guess I wouldn't be a great PM!

by Anonymousreply 593July 4, 2024 4:07 PM

Lots of assumptions that this is going to be a competent Labour government just because Starmer is wooden. The fact they don't have any clear policies kinda puts a question mark over that for me.

by Anonymousreply 594July 4, 2024 4:39 PM

I’m just back from voting. The weather is wet and windy, but the flow of people seemed pretty brisk. I’ll stay up to watch this rotten bunch of corrupt opportunists and liars get turfed out. Some people are making a bingo game of it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 595July 4, 2024 5:16 PM

Is it over yet?

by Anonymousreply 596July 4, 2024 5:17 PM

Less than 4 hours to go!

by Anonymousreply 597July 4, 2024 5:20 PM

[quote]Is it over yet?

I wish all events had an official fat lady to sing when it's over.

by Anonymousreply 598July 4, 2024 5:31 PM

Bye bye, Tory cunts.

by Anonymousreply 599July 4, 2024 5:32 PM

You guys are so lucky your campaigns don’t drag on for years.

by Anonymousreply 600July 4, 2024 5:41 PM

Seconded. The campaign season is essentially two years long. It used to be fun back in the day, but it started getting anxiety-provoking in 2012 and ramped up to near panic in 2016, to traumatic now. I follow UK politics because it's so comparatively civil and gives me a little hope, irrational as it may sound.

by Anonymousreply 601July 4, 2024 5:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!