Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What makes people right-handed or left-handed?

GOOD QUESTION What makes people right-handed or left-handed? minnesota By Kirsten Mitchell

April 18, 2024 / 10:28 PM CDT / CBS Minnesota

MINNEAPOLIS — What do Lebron James, David Bowie and Bill Gates all have in common? They're left-handed. While they're a minority of the population, they're not alone.

So why are we right- or left-handed? Good Question.

About 90% of people are right-handed, while 10% are left-handed.

"Some of the theories think it's because of the way our brains are wired," Dr. Nancy Segal said.

Segal says lefties often have a more dominant right side of their brain while righties have a more dominant left side of their brain. Why is still a mystery.

"Language was a very important development in human history and of course, language is in the left hemisphere and that might strengthen the right hand," Segal said.

Studies show which hand is dominant may be influenced by genetics, adverse birth events or even random chance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90May 25, 2024 6:37 PM

I'm a lefty.

And, yes, I do think it makes me a bit more special than righties.

by Anonymousreply 1May 22, 2024 4:12 AM

Proud Sinistra

by Anonymousreply 2May 22, 2024 4:15 AM

All of the lefties I know are straight.

And I’m the first born son.

by Anonymousreply 3May 22, 2024 4:17 AM

I'm a gay leftie. I know plenty of gay lefties.

I'm also the first born son.

And the first born grandchild on both sides of the family.

by Anonymousreply 4May 22, 2024 4:21 AM

Bowie, Mozart, Cobain, Hendrix, Gaga, McCartney, Oprah, Gates, Henry Ford, Clinton, Obama, Jefferson (probably), DaVinci, Michelangelo, Van Gogh (most likely), Klee, Raphael, and then a shit ton of athletes.

We are your artistic and athletic and business and political overlords.

Bow down bitches.

by Anonymousreply 5May 22, 2024 4:22 AM

Judy Garland was left handed.

by Anonymousreply 6May 22, 2024 4:33 AM

R5 Don’t forget The Biebs!

by Anonymousreply 7May 22, 2024 4:40 AM

Do Catholics still think lefties are evil?

by Anonymousreply 8May 22, 2024 5:41 AM

R7 we regretfully disallow the Biebs into our club.

For reasons well aware to him.

by Anonymousreply 9May 22, 2024 5:43 AM

Just writing, does that count?

by Anonymousreply 10May 22, 2024 5:44 AM

R10 before we can allow you into the club, we need to know: Are you hung?

Please be honest. A true lefty wouldn't lie.

by Anonymousreply 11May 22, 2024 5:55 AM

[quote]Do Catholics still think lefties are evil?

Not since JFK got his head blown off you 1963 cunt.

by Anonymousreply 12May 22, 2024 5:58 AM

Lefties show telltale wear on the opposite side of their penis.

by Anonymousreply 13May 22, 2024 6:00 AM

no they don't r13

by Anonymousreply 14May 22, 2024 6:05 AM

^^^ fun at parties

by Anonymousreply 15May 22, 2024 6:12 AM

MEGA FUN at PARTIES! Let me JACK YOU OFF WITH MY LEFT HAND!!!!

by Anonymousreply 16May 22, 2024 6:17 AM

[quote]Do Catholics still think lefties are evil?

[quote]Not since JFK got his head blown off you 1963 cunt.

That’s a relief! It’s good to hear that Catholics have progressed, and no longer think that something you were born with is a sin.

by Anonymousreply 17May 22, 2024 6:20 AM

Nobody is Catholic in America r7?

This is the problem with DL. Several posters never left 1932

by Anonymousreply 18May 22, 2024 6:23 AM

The Catholic shit is dead in North America. The only thing that's keeping the Catholic shit alive in Britain is Polish immigrants.

^

by Anonymousreply 19May 22, 2024 6:38 AM

R19 There’s a resurgence of trad-Catholic activists, politicians, and organizations in the U.S., funded by right-wing billionaires. They’ve played a pivotal role in fighting against gay rights and women’s rights in America since the early 90s.

by Anonymousreply 20May 22, 2024 6:52 AM

Jesus Fucking Christ this is about left handed people. Period. You stupid paranoid fuck.

Let's just talk about left handed people.

by Anonymousreply 21May 22, 2024 6:58 AM

I’ve heard that left-handed people have a shorter lifespan on average because they have trouble handling knives and other sharp objects. Can I have your stuff, OP?

by Anonymousreply 22May 22, 2024 7:07 AM

10% of the population is left handed

by Anonymousreply 23May 22, 2024 7:14 AM

[QUOTE]Nobody is Catholic in America [R7]?

I said that where, dear sir?

by Anonymousreply 24May 22, 2024 7:16 AM

A lot of creative, intelligent people are lefties, but left-handedness has also been statistically linked to ADHD and drug abuse, which explains Judy Garland and R21.

by Anonymousreply 25May 22, 2024 7:30 AM

Not in New England. or the West Coast.

Just a few old people left

by Anonymousreply 26May 22, 2024 7:30 AM

Throughout human history left-handedness has been considered as sinful. It has been associated with the devil, weakness, female gender, unhealthiness, evil, something that has to be turned to a "good"--right side by force.

Leftie hands will all pull their owner to hell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27May 22, 2024 7:45 AM

They hate us cuz they ain’t us!

Lefties rule.

by Anonymousreply 28May 22, 2024 7:48 AM

I was right-handed, whether by my inclination or the inclination of my family to ensure that I used my right hand, "like normal people," but around age 8 I fancied the word ambidextrous, and practised writing and using my left hand. It was quite easy and now I wouldn't say I'm truly ambidextrous but ambidextrous-inclined. I can write quickly with my left hand though the handwriting is a little less refined than with my right hand. For a quick scribble I'll use either hand, whichever is closest to the pen or paper, but for a longer, neater exercise the right hand is faster and more legible.

The real pleasure of developing some use of my left hand was that it enraged my 12 years older, hothead brother. He was obsessed that everyone walk a certain way, swing their arms a certain way, held a fork a certain way (he was a HKLP in Nancy Mitford's language), use their right hand in preference to their left, and pretty much the family Nazi about everything.

The one particular disinclination of my left hand: jerking.

by Anonymousreply 29May 22, 2024 8:17 AM

Lebron is interesting. He writes left-handed, but he shoots (free-throws, jump-shots, 3-pointers) right-handed (but obviously can finish around the rim left-handed). Similarly, he throws right-handed when throwing a football or baseball, and he golfs right-handed (badly).

[quote] The one particular disinclination of my left hand: jerking

As a friend I used to joke; it's like doing it with someone else.

by Anonymousreply 30May 22, 2024 8:27 AM

^^tl'dr

It's just a thing

by Anonymousreply 31May 22, 2024 8:34 AM

[quote]The real pleasure of developing some use of my left hand was that it enraged my 12 years older, hothead brother. He was obsessed that everyone walk a certain way, swing their arms a certain way, held a fork a certain way (he was a HKLP in Nancy Mitford's language), use their right hand in preference to their left, and pretty much the family Nazi about everything.

Jesus Fucking Christ if your fucking brother held you down and killed you so you would never ever would have posted on Datalonge.

Jesus Fucking Christ.

Could he have just drowned you in the river?

by Anonymousreply 32May 22, 2024 8:38 AM

What about your unfortunate siblings, r32?

by Anonymousreply 33May 22, 2024 8:55 AM

[quote]They hate us cuz they ain’t us! Lefties rule.

Yes — righties are jealous because we don’t have to use special scissors, or fill in forms with the paper turned at a 90 degree angle. You are so lucky!

by Anonymousreply 34May 22, 2024 9:08 AM

R29 It looks like your brother at R32 has followed you to DL. Will the torture ever end?

by Anonymousreply 35May 22, 2024 9:21 AM

My brother and I are left handed, as was my grandmother, although she was made to change her writing hand in school.

And I don’t need special scissors or to turn my paper when I write, and I have excellent penmanship.

Don’t hate us cause you ain’t us.

by Anonymousreply 36May 22, 2024 9:56 AM

What about us right handers who have a quirky way of writing?

For example, I hold a pen/pencil with my middle finger (as opposed to my index finger) and my thumb.

My early elementary school teachers repeatedly tried getting me to write the "proper" way, but I always reverted back to what felt comfortable after they walked away from me.

by Anonymousreply 37May 22, 2024 10:17 AM

Left handers ruin every restaurant dinner when you're seated in a booth

by Anonymousreply 38May 22, 2024 10:28 AM

I was born left handed. When I was 4 my mother started training me to do things right handed, starting with drawing. By 5 I had learned to print and I spent an hour a day printing with my right hand on a big chalk board she had installed in my bedroom. By the time I entered school at 6 I had been taught to write cursive and was fully writing right handed. During my first week in 1st grade I wrote a note to my teacher in cursive (which in the 50's was not taught until 3rd grade), and I still remember the shock on her face when she looked at my note. When it came time to enter 2nd grade my teacher told me I was going to go into the 3rd grade instead. I was not happy as I wanted to stay in the same class with all my friends. But I was not given a choice. Once in 3rd grade my teacher used me to help teach the other kids how to write cursive. I didn't realize until many years later that all she was interested in was making her job easier, but I got over it. In high school I had several classmates who would remind me occasionally that I had taught them how to write cursive when we were young.

My mother knew what she was doing.

by Anonymousreply 39May 22, 2024 12:31 PM

You’re not special, babes.

by Anonymousreply 40May 22, 2024 12:36 PM

First-born son, but with a twin sister. I'm left-handed, she's right-handed.

by Anonymousreply 41May 22, 2024 12:41 PM

I’m gay

I’m left handed

I’m well hung 🍆

by Anonymousreply 42May 22, 2024 12:54 PM

Proud leftie here. I turn by paper sideways instead of putting my hand across the paper, to avoid smudges.

by Anonymousreply 43May 22, 2024 12:59 PM

How did your mother know you were left-handed, R39, if you only ever drew or wrote right-handed? Have you ever thought she was only training you to draw and write, and you actually WERE right-handed?

I mean, what were you doing before pre-school age to show you were left-handed? Embroidery? Having your guitar re-strung?

by Anonymousreply 44May 22, 2024 1:35 PM

Both my parents (born 1938) were born left handed and were forced to use their right hands in school., and they never used the left hand again. They both had handwriting that would disgrace a drunken spider.

I have three siblings, and we are all right handed.

by Anonymousreply 45May 22, 2024 1:41 PM

In elementary school, I turned my paper sideways to write. As an adult I realized I had stopped that without thinking about it. My quest has been to find pens with quick-drying ink. At the moment, I like Pilot Precise fine (as opposed to extra fine) points.

by Anonymousreply 46May 22, 2024 2:27 PM

My father had very little to do with his family, so it wasn't until I was well into my teens that I met my uncle and his daughter, both of whom were left-handed like me. Nobody else in my family was.

R36, if you haven't tried left-handed scissors, you don't know what you're missing. You can cut wrapping paper with anything (though not as accurately), but if you were to turn your hand to dressmaking you'd see the difference pronto.

by Anonymousreply 47May 22, 2024 2:33 PM

All I can say is that it was a hell of a lot more interesting to be left-handed in the 60s or earlier, when it was still considered taboo and degenerate. Tim Curry once said he enjoyed playing “left handed” characters (Frank N Furter, Pennywise, the Lord of Darkness, etc.) because they were much more intriguing than the status quo.

by Anonymousreply 48May 22, 2024 4:11 PM

Apparently I was left handed and my parents switched me to right. My brother is also left handed, but they taught him to write with his right and left him to do whatever he wanted left handed. I'm a makeup artist, and he's a musician.

by Anonymousreply 49May 22, 2024 4:14 PM

Oh yes, lefties should know that the Latin for "left" is "sinister".

by Anonymousreply 50May 22, 2024 4:15 PM

Latin for “right” is “dexter.” The character Dexter Morgan is right-handed when he’s murdering other serial killers, but uses his left hand for other things, which I guess might be a reflection of his inner conflict.

by Anonymousreply 51May 22, 2024 4:28 PM

[quote] How did your mother know you were left-handed

Because when I started using crayons as a toddler I always used my left hand. My mother said when they'd try to get me to use the crayon in my right hand I'd cry and switch back to my left hand.

by Anonymousreply 52May 22, 2024 4:37 PM

R30, Lebron is probably like me - how I was taught is how I play sports. I throw a baseball right handed but I can bat right or left. He was probably taught as a kid by a right handed person.

Anything I learned on my own like embroidery or crochet, or tennis, I do left handed.

IMO, it’s easier for us lefties to adapt and use our right hands for stuff than it is for righties to use their left hand.

by Anonymousreply 53May 22, 2024 5:22 PM

How old are you guys who were forced to switch to being right handed? I'm almost 50 and it was never an issue when I was a child.

by Anonymousreply 54May 22, 2024 5:23 PM

r54, I don't remember, but i would have dreams that my right hand would be broken so I would be forced to use my left. My brother remembers, and was a precious child (apparently had a 160 IQ), so maybe 4 or 5?

by Anonymousreply 55May 22, 2024 7:35 PM

precious=precocious

by Anonymousreply 56May 22, 2024 7:36 PM

R54 I know lefties in their 60s who went to private Catholic K-12, and were converted to being right-handed by the nuns. I think Gen-X is the first to not be forcibly converted to right-handedness in the schools, at least in the U.S.

by Anonymousreply 57May 22, 2024 7:41 PM

Haha, R35. You see what I was dealing with! Once a dickhead, always a dickhead.

by Anonymousreply 58May 22, 2024 8:16 PM

I'm left-handed, the eldest sibling with ADHD-- my mom was left-handed til the Filipina nuns got to her.

by Anonymousreply 59May 22, 2024 8:39 PM

I like seeing a leftie when he jerks off with his left hand.

by Anonymousreply 60May 22, 2024 8:41 PM

Red headed lefties meet in fields at night

by Anonymousreply 61May 22, 2024 8:45 PM

My dad was a lefty and when he went to Catholic school they made him switch hands. He became ambidextrous. He was a middle child and had a low genius IQ of 145.

by Anonymousreply 62May 22, 2024 8:58 PM

My dad was a lefty and he went to Catholic schools in the 50s/60s and he never mentioned them trying to make him switch hands.

My mom told me her grandfather was naturally left handed and when he was in school in the early 1900s the teacher would tie his left hand behind his chair and make him write with his right hand. How fucked up was that?

by Anonymousreply 63May 22, 2024 11:03 PM

my mother was left handed until she broke her arm. They then forced her to use her right hand which she did for the rest of her life. So how did that affect the brain?

by Anonymousreply 64May 22, 2024 11:17 PM

[quote] How old are you guys who were forced to switch to being right handed?

Almost 50, eh whippersnapper? I'm soon to be 71.

by Anonymousreply 65May 22, 2024 11:30 PM

My older brother is a red headed lefty.

I’m a salt n pepper headed lefty.

The green lefty scissors were always neglected and gummy.

by Anonymousreply 66May 22, 2024 11:33 PM

I'm a lefty but I jerk off right handed.

by Anonymousreply 67May 22, 2024 11:38 PM

It's not a terrible thing to use an unfamiliar hand for an activity. That FORCES the brain to create new neural pathways. More neural pathways = more intelligent. Neuroscientists have done hundreds of studies of musicians, particularly pianists, in which the research plainly shows that the brain, instead of using the familiar neural pathways (right brain going to left hand , left brain going to the right hand) has to work like crazy to create new neural pathways connecting the two hemispheres of the brain to one another. One of the accidental outcomes of that is that pianists, especially advanced pianists, are extremely intelligent as a group and tend to do well in every school subject. That being said, handedness is pretty hard-wired into us physiologically, and the old days of teachers forcing kids to do what was clearly unnatural for them was a terrible thing. .

by Anonymousreply 68May 23, 2024 12:49 AM

God makes people right handed. Satan makes people left handed and horny.

by Anonymousreply 69May 23, 2024 12:57 AM

My dad went to catholic school in the 1920s and the nuns hit his hand with a ruler if he tried to use his left hand.

by Anonymousreply 70May 23, 2024 1:10 AM

They smudge the pen ink! Unless writing in Arabic it's useless!

by Anonymousreply 71May 23, 2024 1:30 AM

Now, no one can write thanks to texting.

by Anonymousreply 72May 23, 2024 2:23 AM

[quote] I'm a lefty but I jerk off right handed

I’m the opposite.

by Anonymousreply 73May 23, 2024 4:14 AM

Your cut and paste skills suck donkey dick.

by Anonymousreply 74May 23, 2024 11:48 AM

Lefty here, and I started using a computer mouse with my right hand because I didn’t know it was a handed activity. Now I’m stuck with it.

by Anonymousreply 75May 23, 2024 8:36 PM

I'm in my 60s and it was never an issue in my childhood. We used inkwells till I was half-way through primary school. I never got decent marks for handwriting because you can't help but smudge fountain-pen ink when you're left-handed, but nobody tried to convert me. When we moved to ballpoint pens most of the issues resolved, and my communication skills soared when I was given a typewriter at the age of 10. Of course I was taught various sports, instruments and crafts right-handed, but because righties have no imagination when it comes to putting themselves in lefties' shoes, not because they thought it was morally wrong to be left-handed. If I wanted to reverse everything and go properly left-handed they thought it "looked odd" but didn't really care. (Of course, no amount of persuasion is going to turn the baseball diamond around so you're facing first base when you bat true left-handed.)

R75 reminds me, there are a lot of ergonomic mouses but it's ridiculously hard to get one shaped for a left-hander. I find this especially offensive since Bill Gates is a lefty. R75, why are you "stuck with it"? You can easily change your settings to allow you to use the mouse left-handed.

It's worth noting there is a spectrum of handedness. Some people fall closer to the ambidextrous mid-point, whereas a few people are extremely one-sided. If you can't kick a ball with your right foot, use a microscope with your right eye, or perform even gross motor skills with reasonable accuracy with your right hand, you probably fall into this category. In a cinema, I will always gravitate to the right-hand side, so that my left eye ranges over more of the screen than my right.

by Anonymousreply 76May 24, 2024 3:07 PM

My father and my sister are both lefties, but I and my mother are right-handed.

What's odd is that my father, who will be 89 in June, was (AFAIK) never forced to use his right hand for anything. But he played some sports right-handed, and was quite good at them. He bowled and played golf right-handed, but played tennis left-handed.

And now he plays pickleball (go, DAD!).

by Anonymousreply 77May 24, 2024 3:23 PM

r76 where did you live as a child? I'm almost 75 and never used an inkwell.

by Anonymousreply 78May 24, 2024 4:16 PM

Back in my youth, I typed the telegraph left-handed, with my quill pen.

by Anonymousreply 79May 24, 2024 5:01 PM

Let's be a left-handed, neurodivergent, queer, Latinx activist throwing the first brick at Stonewall.

by Anonymousreply 80May 24, 2024 8:58 PM

[quote) I'm almost 75 and never used an inkwell.

I'm almost 71 and I never used an ink well other than to fill my fountain pens which I used all through high school. I didn't start using a ballpoint until college. I still use a fountain pen at home when writing checks, etc. I still buy my ink in the jar and use fountain pens with ink draw cartridges. I write so much nicer with a fountain pen.

by Anonymousreply 81May 24, 2024 11:14 PM

Ah -- but R81, are you left handed?

by Anonymousreply 82May 24, 2024 11:42 PM

People on the spectrum (ie, Bill Gates) are far more likely to be left handed:

About 28% of people with autism are left-handed, compared to 10% of the general population. People with autism are also 2.34 times more likely to be mixed-handed than the general population

by Anonymousreply 83May 24, 2024 11:50 PM

Leftys are the only ones thinking in their right mind.

by Anonymousreply 84May 25, 2024 3:22 AM

I wrote with my right hand and do everything else with my left. I forget what it’s called but they say it’s a sign of low intelligence lol

by Anonymousreply 85May 25, 2024 3:27 AM

When you’re a Biden, you use both hands.

by Anonymousreply 86May 25, 2024 6:10 AM

On my Dad's side of the family, there's something of a preponderance of lefties, excepting my Dad and his seven siblings; after Grandma, it apparently skipped a generation, showing up again among the cousins with more than was statistically usual. I was one of them.

When she was little, Grandma endured a lot of abuse from parents and teachers, trying to force her to be right-handed. This made her an aggressive advocate for lefties among her grandkids. Coming to Texas to celebrate Thanksgiving with us one year (1970, I believe - the same year I had to evade a pair of teenagers/young adults trying to abduct me walking home from school, as I have related to the DL), she misinterpreted my Mom's table settings with silverware to the right of the plate as evidence of an effort to change my handedness. It wasn't, but still a confrontation broke out.

My Mom always sought to accommodate my lefthandedness, sending me to school with a pair of lefty scissors with the green rubber handles. My first grade teacher was having none of it; the scissors kept disappearing from the vinyl zipper bag in my binder. Eventually we realized it was the teacher doing it when I was out with the other kids at recess. There were a lot of issues with her, including her pulling my hair, slapping me around, and knocking me out of the desk. I've no idea what her actual issue with me was (the fact that I was lefthanded? Seems too extreme, but who knows?), but she concentrated her physical and verbal abuse on me, and threatened the other students that if they told anyone, she would do the same to them. Crazy bitch.

That particular school cultivated a weirdly abusive ethos; the principal was rumored to possess an electric paddle to be used on students. Indeed there was, in his office, hanging on the wall behind his desk, a wooden paddle with wires strung to plugs protruding from its edges. Looking back on it, I don't believe it was in any sense functional, but seemed to be just for show, but the fact that teachers and the principle were themselves responsible for propagating the rumor is very odd. My parents removed me from that school, and had to do a certain amount of negotiation with the ISD to permit me to attend a different elementary school.

The next one was just as backward and savage; on the first day, a little girl accused me of having said a bad word, and I was made to stand with my face to the wall in a corner at the front of the class for fifteen minutes, hands behind my back, holding a dime against the wall with my nose. If the dime fell to the floor, the teacher doubled the time. I didn't last a week there.

The third elementary school had to be the last; no more district shifting around. My second grade teachers were also quite abusive; lots of slapping, pinching, and hair-pulling. This bullshit seemed to stop when I reached the third grade, and I never experienced it again; it was as if there'd been a sea change in the way classes were conducted.

Sorry, I've digressed quite far from the subject of handedness, but I'm curious: did anyone else experience that kind of abuse in schools from the early 1970s?

by Anonymousreply 87May 25, 2024 7:42 AM

R87 Holy hell. was this in America? It sounds like the British schools in Pink Floyd’s The Wall. I went to public elementary in California during the early 70s, and the principal had a wooden paddle with holes cut into it, but it was used as more of a deterrent than a weapon. Only 2 in my class actually went under the paddle. Corporal punishment in Cali schools was banned in the 80s. Other than that, the principal and teachers were very nice and professional. I didn’t witness any abuse; left-handed students were allowed to be left-handed, and given the proper scissors. I think the overall culture of the school administration determines the type of teachers they hire, and the behavior they conform to. Sorry you ended up with sociopaths, PD.

by Anonymousreply 88May 25, 2024 6:09 PM

I went to middle school with a girl who was truly ambidextrous. She could write and draw beautifully with both hands. But oftentimes when she was asked a question about anything, it would take her a minute to process and reply. I wonder if her left/right brains were warring with each other for an appropriate answer.

by Anonymousreply 89May 25, 2024 6:30 PM

An ambidextrous chick?

Beating the guys off with both hands.

by Anonymousreply 90May 25, 2024 6:37 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!