Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Paramount+ Original Series Star Trek: Starfleet Academy

I put this in the Disco thread, but my mind is so effectively blown that I thought it needed its own.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65October 21, 2024 3:50 AM

Holly Hunter !!!

I was reluctantly on board before, but now I can't wait for it to air. Such is the power of stars, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 1May 21, 2024 5:29 PM

I know Paramount is desperate, but how many more Star Trek series can they possibly shove down our throats?

by Anonymousreply 2May 21, 2024 5:34 PM

Well, one is about to end, another will air its final season later this year, and odds of there being additional Prodigy once the next part drops of Netflix seem fairly low. So that leaves us with Strange New Worlds and this, plus the Section 31 movie.

So I'd say....two.

by Anonymousreply 3May 21, 2024 5:36 PM

Holly Hunter is fantastic, but this has the makings of another Geneviève Bujold situation.

by Anonymousreply 4May 21, 2024 5:42 PM

I wonder what timeline this will be set in.

by Anonymousreply 5May 21, 2024 5:45 PM

Holly would be great if she plays it like her ‘Raising Arizona’ character.

by Anonymousreply 6May 21, 2024 5:45 PM

I think they learned their lesson with the Geneviève Bujold fiasco and now put all the actors through their paces first. Even the big stars.

by Anonymousreply 7May 21, 2024 5:46 PM

[quote]I wonder what timeline this will be set in.

32nd century, same time as Discovery.

It also film at Pinewood Toronto, like Disco and SNW. They've already said they're going to have the biggest set they've ever constructed.

by Anonymousreply 8May 21, 2024 5:57 PM

[quote]I wonder what timeline this will be set in.

I thought it was confirmed to be 32nd century, post-Discom with Tilly being one of the main cast as an instructor.

At least we may get more of sexy Admiral Vance if it's in that timeframe.

by Anonymousreply 9May 21, 2024 5:58 PM

[quote]Holly Hunter is fantastic, but this has the makings of another Geneviève Bujold situation.

Bujold had never really done a TV series before, and wasn't used to the pace. Hunter has been a regular on three different series (Saving Grace, Here and Now and Mr. Mayor), plus she recurred on Succession.

by Anonymousreply 10May 21, 2024 6:00 PM

Oh, this is cool. Tawny Newsome is moving behind the camera. She's been hired for the Academy writers' room.

by Anonymousreply 11May 22, 2024 6:06 PM

Interesting casting. But this project still seems a little boring and unnecessary. Fans would likely rather have the "Legacy" series.

by Anonymousreply 12May 22, 2024 6:21 PM

[quote]Fans would likely rather have the "Legacy" series.

Eugh, no, please, let's just move forward already. How many times can you warm up the same old characters from the '90s, it's almost comical at this point.

by Anonymousreply 13May 22, 2024 6:27 PM

The TNG actors are all old AF now. Nobody wants to see them in a new series.

by Anonymousreply 14May 22, 2024 6:55 PM

I always thought they should do a show at the Academy.

by Anonymousreply 15May 22, 2024 6:57 PM

They've been talking about an Academy series or movie for 30+ years at this point

[quote]Eugh, no, please, let's just move forward already. How many times can you warm up the same old characters from the '90s, it's almost comical at this point.

As it stands, the only character we'd for sure be seeing on Legacy would be Seven of Nine, which I'd be fine with. Granted, we'd have the possibility of appearances from any of the cast from TNG-VOY (at least the living ones), but that didn't seem like the focus of the thing.

by Anonymousreply 16May 22, 2024 7:04 PM

[QUOTE] 32nd century

32nd Century? Does Datalounge still exist?

by Anonymousreply 17May 22, 2024 7:08 PM

Yes.

We're all 1000s of years old, but we still look 24.

by Anonymousreply 18May 22, 2024 7:16 PM

Let me guess. The Academy will require all students to devote a full year to studying the universe-saving heroics of Michael Burnham.

by Anonymousreply 19May 22, 2024 8:14 PM

Fuck! Tilly!!!!

Why are they so obsessed with this retarded ass fat bitch?

by Anonymousreply 20May 22, 2024 9:21 PM

Don’t be such a dick, r20. I love Tilly. She has heart and charm.

by Anonymousreply 21May 22, 2024 9:29 PM

I like Tilly well enough as a side character that gets the spotlight in a couple episodes each season (back when they had 22 episodes a season).

But, Tilly is simply not interesting enough and the actress is not accomplished enough to make her any more interesting than that.

She's more interesting than Ensign Kim, but not nearly as interesting as Beverly Crusher.

by Anonymousreply 22May 23, 2024 2:08 AM

I hope they feature Gen Rhys, preferably teaching a course about bottoming.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 23, 2024 4:10 AM

And the villain? Paul Giamatti.

They are certainly pulling out all the stops.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24June 11, 2024 4:14 PM

r24 Wow! They do NOT want this one to fail.

by Anonymousreply 25June 11, 2024 4:19 PM

How long before Kurtzman fucks this up too?

by Anonymousreply 26June 11, 2024 4:21 PM

I think he's learned his lesson with Discovery.

by Anonymousreply 27June 11, 2024 4:22 PM

He's NOT drinking any fucking blood wine.

by Anonymousreply 28June 11, 2024 4:24 PM

Been there done that

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29June 11, 2024 5:08 PM

[quote]I think he's learned his lesson with Discovery.

Doubt it since his petulance pushed Matalas out and effectively killed any chance of going forward with Legacy.

by Anonymousreply 30June 11, 2024 9:31 PM

[quote] Doubt it since his petulance pushed Matalas out and effectively killed any chance of going forward with Legacy.

Boo hoo. Matalas wasn’t a particularly good writer. The storyline of Picard season 3 utterly fell apart by the end and was an exercise in increasingly embarrassing fanwankery. At least with this it sounds like they have a chance of potentially pulling in new viewers, something the franchise (or any franchise) desperately needs.

by Anonymousreply 31June 11, 2024 9:56 PM

If we have to have Tilly, I hope she at least zaps her face moles.

by Anonymousreply 32June 11, 2024 10:04 PM

I'm watching Presumed Innocent right now and Gylenhaal(sp?) has all sorts of moles on his face and neck. If an A-lister like him who's more loaded than God doesn't get them removed, I can't see Wiseman doing it either.

It's funny because that's the first thing I'd do if I weren't poor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33June 12, 2024 4:11 PM

We have our freshman class.

Arm wrestle you for the twink.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34July 9, 2024 7:26 PM

^^They're all unattractive.

by Anonymousreply 35July 9, 2024 9:11 PM

[quote]They're all unattractive.

Apparently, the future is not only female, but unattractive.

by Anonymousreply 36July 10, 2024 10:59 PM

More casting. Tig Notaro and Robert Picardo are regulars.

Oded Fehr and Mary Wiseman are recurring.

by Anonymousreply 37July 27, 2024 11:37 PM

Link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38July 27, 2024 11:46 PM

Why is Tig Notaro a thing? I just don't get it.

by Anonymousreply 39July 27, 2024 11:53 PM

Tig was quite effective in her limited role on Discovery. One of the better parts of the schitzophrenic show.

by Anonymousreply 40July 27, 2024 11:56 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41July 27, 2024 11:59 PM

Tig Notaro was brilliant in Discovery. Really glad to hear she and Robert Picardo are in the mix; can just imagine their characters interacting.

I was originally totally nonplussed at the thought of this series. But the casting has me hopeful.

by Anonymousreply 42July 28, 2024 12:04 AM

The show is almost worth watching for Picardo, Fehr, and Yashere.

by Anonymousreply 43July 28, 2024 12:22 AM

They also dropped a preview of SNW. Pelia is still there, so that assuages those fears.

Also, based on something she said, I'm just going to assume Pelia lived as Carol Kane's character from Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt unless it's directly contradicted.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44July 28, 2024 12:31 AM

The Section 31 movie looks a lot better than I expected.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45July 28, 2024 3:23 AM

My darling Picardo is back, baby!! He was awesome on the amazing second season of Prodigy, which was one of the best seasons of Trek I've ever seen.

In other news, a new Trek show is in the works from Justin Simien and Tawny Newsome.

[quote]The new series is intended to be an action comedy that, according to Paramount, centers on Federation outsiders who are serving on a gleaming resort planet. Not only that, their day-to-day exploits are being broadcast to the entire quadrant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46July 28, 2024 3:59 AM

r44 Hilarious clip! And of course Carol Kane steals every scene she's in. I love how they keep changing the character's hairstyles from season to season. This rarely happened in the past, Janeway notwithstanding.

Scotty is adorable. 😊

by Anonymousreply 47July 28, 2024 4:10 AM

*characters' hairstyles

by Anonymousreply 48July 28, 2024 4:12 AM

God, that SNW clip is shit. Can’t believe how overrated that show is with the fans. They’ve really gone overboard with the MCU style tone and humour. Pike looks ridiculous with that hair. Who’d have thought I’d be looking forward more the Section 31; now that actually looks fairly compelling.

by Anonymousreply 49July 28, 2024 8:50 AM

Will they have a Ferengi teaching Evonomics?

by Anonymousreply 50July 28, 2024 9:41 AM

*Economics

by Anonymousreply 51July 28, 2024 9:42 AM

[quote]The Section 31 movie looks a lot better than I expected.

I love that the little warning screen before the actual trailer advises that it contains colorful metaphors.

by Anonymousreply 52July 28, 2024 10:02 AM

Fuck!

Tilly!!!

We'll never be rid of Starfleet's first Special Ed enlistee.

by Anonymousreply 53July 28, 2024 10:12 AM

The comments on YouTube for the Section 31 sneak peak at R45 are not positive. They're like DL comments without the charm.

by Anonymousreply 54July 28, 2024 10:17 AM

Yeah, the Star Trek subreddit shat on the Section 31 clip as well. I don't understand why Trek can't accommodate different styles and formats., not everything needs to adhere as closely as possible to TNG and DS9. Not everyone considers those two shows as the gold standard of Trek, myself included.

I enjoyed the Section 31 clip, the camerawork alone looks pretty outstanding.

by Anonymousreply 55July 29, 2024 7:03 PM

I do think DS9 it the gold standard for Trek, but I also liked what I saw of Section 31.

I actually consider it quite fortunate that we're in a place where we can experiment with the format. I mean, if you'd told me ten years ago that they'd put out an animated comedy series, I'd have groaned...but Lower Decks has turned out to be perhaps my favorite of the streaming era series, at least in its totality. There are seasons of Disco (and S3 of Picard) that I adored, and while SNW has been great, I'm giving it another season before I figure out where I rank it, but basically start to finish, Lower Decks has been firing on all cylinders.

I mean, it was only 10 episodes, but their second season might have been the strongest of any Trek series. Not every episode was outstanding, but a lot were and there wasn't a stinker in the bunch. And that's rare.

by Anonymousreply 56July 30, 2024 1:24 AM

Prodigy was much stronger than I expected, and it's unfortunate it got dissed so badly by Paramount.

by Anonymousreply 57July 30, 2024 1:37 AM

STAR STATION ALAMO!

by Anonymousreply 58July 30, 2024 1:40 AM

In fairness, Prodigy took a while to gel. The second half of the first season was great, but the first half was really patchy.

by Anonymousreply 59July 30, 2024 1:41 AM

I like Lower Decks. I have no problem with a show set in the Trek universe that is like the Section 31 show - as long as it doesn't try to rewrite the Trek universe to accommodate bad storytelling and poor character development.

My problem with Disco and to a certain extent Picard S1 and S2 (although they tried valiantly, if not wholly successfully to right the ship in S3), is that they played fast and loose with basic Trek world building which includes established world elements, characters, and technology.

There SHOULD be room for a variety of styles of Trek shows. James Bond in Space is fine with me. Comedy is fine. The Trek universe is vast.

They once described Trek as Wagon Train in Space. A show about the Fenris Rangers on the frontier borders of Federation space - yes please.

by Anonymousreply 60July 30, 2024 3:04 PM

They announced that Starfleet Academy has already been renewed for a second season, and they're adding Tatiana Maslany to the cast.

by Anonymousreply 61October 19, 2024 8:52 PM

I appeared in two episodes of the original series

by Anonymousreply 62October 19, 2024 9:08 PM

r61 Was about to post that, guess Larry Ellison isn't gutting Trek after all.

It's nice knowing we're getting at least two seasons, so we can just focus on the story and not worry about the ratings too much.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63October 20, 2024 3:27 PM

Star Trek is happening inside my mind

Bleep bleep . Ugh. Ping ping ugh

by Anonymousreply 64October 20, 2024 7:45 PM

I fall asleep to Enterprise D ambient noise.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65October 21, 2024 3:50 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!