Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Reba’s New Sitcom ‘Happy's Place’ looks good

I loved her old WB show, I’ll probably watch this too. The plot is Reba’s Dad who owns a bar dies, and after Reba finds out she has a much younger Latina sister, she never knew about, who will run the bar with her. Interested to see how they can stretch that plot line for a few seasons.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49October 21, 2024 3:31 AM

Looks cute.

by Anonymousreply 1May 21, 2024 4:47 PM

Oy. Vey.

by Anonymousreply 2May 21, 2024 4:54 PM

The sister is the weak link. She's a terrible actress.

by Anonymousreply 3May 21, 2024 4:58 PM

They based her on the Maria Sofia Estrada from Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4May 21, 2024 5:03 PM

Certainly want this to succeed. Reba is a surprisingly good comedy actress and her initial sitcom wasn't bad at all (in part thanks to some excellent casting choices for that show). What confuses me in this little teaser is the role of the sister. They show her like the sister is becoming the "Barbra Jean" of this show who is rubbing against Reba's character and drives her nuts. Makes me wonder where this leaves Melissa Peterman's bartender role. Maybe she is not supposed to do the Barbara Jean character anymore.

by Anonymousreply 5May 21, 2024 5:04 PM

I like Melissa Peterman.

She was good as the awful mother in Baby Daddy with the very hot Derek Theler.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 21, 2024 5:08 PM

R3 hopefully the zillenial actress finds her way, but I have to keep reminding myself that the younger generations aren’t bad actors, their entire generation is just awkward and weird so they’re acting true to life.

by Anonymousreply 7May 21, 2024 5:12 PM

The old cast was really counting on the reboot. Shame on selfish Reba!

by Anonymousreply 8May 21, 2024 5:12 PM

R6 don’t forget even hotter Steve Howey on the original show

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9May 21, 2024 5:14 PM

R8 they all tried for years to make that happen, including Reba. The old show just hit Netflix, so I’m sure they’ll save their mansions from foreclosure with those residual checks.

by Anonymousreply 10May 21, 2024 5:16 PM

One of her kids from the show stopped acting and another went tranny. Of course, no one would miss him as he was a horrible actor, but the other one was pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 11May 21, 2024 5:25 PM

R11 didn’t know that. I googled and found this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12May 21, 2024 5:33 PM

Is there an adorable Danielle Brisebois character who will spontaneously sing and dance at the bar with Reba?

by Anonymousreply 13May 21, 2024 5:42 PM

R13 definitely going to be a karaoke night episode

by Anonymousreply 14May 21, 2024 5:44 PM

Oh god, another show ruined by DEI woke shit.

by Anonymousreply 15May 21, 2024 5:53 PM

No R15. Just bad writing and bad acting. Don’t be an ass….

by Anonymousreply 16May 21, 2024 5:55 PM

r15 is also:

*Kevin Spacey: “I’ve listened. I’ve learned. I got the memo”*

[quote][quote] He has been charged, but not convicted. There is an ocean of evidence that he’s a sex pest.

[quote]Most gay men are. Gay men hysterical about sex pests are hypocritical while asking who’s looked at straight men’s dicks are the urinal and taking loads in public places. Give it a rest.

by Anonymousreply 17May 21, 2024 6:18 PM

[quote] Is there an adorable Danielle Brisebois character who will spontaneously sing and dance at the bar with Reba?

Not right away. Wait until season 4 when the cute, wisecracking five-year old cousin is introduced.

by Anonymousreply 18May 21, 2024 7:06 PM

Poor taste for a remake. Mike Fry was a lovely man, and will always be missed. I was lucky enough to appear on the ORIGINAL Happy’s Place. I proudly redeemed my coupons for Mike Sell’s potato chips and a shake from Penguin Point. It’s a shame his gourmet fortune cookie business never took off. Shame on you, Reba!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19May 21, 2024 7:13 PM

Touch me, Touch.

by Anonymousreply 20May 21, 2024 7:22 PM

Season 4 promo:

"Li'l Cousin Stephanie from Nashville will steal your heart when she sings a duet with Reba while jumping the shark!"

by Anonymousreply 21May 21, 2024 7:39 PM

Wonder which of Reba’s famous friends will guest star? Dolly, Jean Smart, Garth & Trisha, Kelly Clarkson, Blake Shelton, Will Smith, Hoda & Jenna, Ashton Kutcher & Mila Kunis, John Legend, Chance the Rapper, Meryl Streep?

I’d love a Happy’s Place-Hacks cross promotion.

by Anonymousreply 22May 21, 2024 7:50 PM

Allegedly Steve Howey’s wife uses a strap-on to fuck him

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 21, 2024 7:52 PM

Steve is really hot!

by Anonymousreply 24May 22, 2024 12:56 AM

R23 Is it really 'allegedly' when the wife is the one saying she does it?

by Anonymousreply 25May 22, 2024 1:08 AM

The co-star character is annoying but looks like they are there to try and draw gen z viewers.

by Anonymousreply 26May 22, 2024 1:22 AM

For a moment I thought her character ran a trailer park called "Happy's Place". But wouldn't that be a perfect fit for her cornpone twang?

by Anonymousreply 27May 22, 2024 2:10 AM

R26 really? Are you sure that’s what they’re going for?

by Anonymousreply 28May 22, 2024 2:26 AM

As I pressed play on the OP video, I thought to myself: "Oh, Reba has a new sitcom?? I wonder if Melissa Peterman is in it??"

DUH!!! OF COURSE Melissa Peterman is in it! Can they go anywhere without each other? It's kinda cute, really. And Melissa Peterman is a fucking riot.

by Anonymousreply 29May 22, 2024 4:03 AM

I liked Belissa in Hocus Pocus 2. Probably the best part of that shitshow.

by Anonymousreply 30September 15, 2024 3:18 PM

donde esta la comida?

by Anonymousreply 31September 15, 2024 4:07 PM

This will probably flop.

by Anonymousreply 32September 15, 2024 4:33 PM

1st ep was MEH

by Anonymousreply 33October 20, 2024 2:47 PM

I thought the commercials looked like harmless fun - then they threw in the 'and the Latina younger sister she never knew about'!

Such a hackey and transparent thing to do - that girl looks like a 2024 version of Cousin Oliver in the Brady Bunch with the face and the glasses.

It's also embarrassing that they think young Latinos (or any young people) are going to tune in just for that character. They're not watching broadcast linear TV anymore.

They could have brought in diversity with any number of ways - this just feels SO forced and weird, like some older TV exec - "what about a younger sister who's Latina?"

"Like Different Strokes?" "Kinda - but she's a HALF-sister!"

by Anonymousreply 34October 20, 2024 3:18 PM

Are she and the younger sister 4 generations apart?

by Anonymousreply 35October 20, 2024 3:52 PM

Good review. Others (notably THR) weren't as positive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36October 20, 2024 4:52 PM

Not a fan

by Anonymousreply 37October 20, 2024 7:49 PM

The pilot was good enough to stick with it for now. It was obvious that they threw in various tropes and relationship challenges to play with. They'll toss what doesn't work and run with what does work. There are some characters I'm not really sure why they're in there. But we'll see.

I liked this one: It's nice to have a sister now, even though you're old enough to be my mother. - - Honey, this is Tennessee. I'm old enough to be your grandmother.

by Anonymousreply 38October 20, 2024 8:10 PM

Reba is talented and someone you want to root for. I hope she succeeds.

by Anonymousreply 39October 20, 2024 8:12 PM

r3

GREAT grandmother lol

by Anonymousreply 40October 20, 2024 8:12 PM

The obvious path would have been to have Melissa be the younger sister. That's what every single social media and/or entertainment website commenter assumed.

Guess they wanted to cast this show a little more diverse for a younger audience.

by Anonymousreply 41October 20, 2024 8:14 PM

[quote] The obvious path would have been to have Melissa be the younger sister.

They save that as a cliffhanger when they start jumping sharks.

by Anonymousreply 42October 20, 2024 9:18 PM

Reba will sell anything-do anything to be in front of a camera. Just like Martha-why don’t they help less fortunate people and not just their animal breed-Bitches.

by Anonymousreply 43October 20, 2024 9:58 PM

I hope this flops and I hope the other shit show Lopez vs Lopez gets canned after season 2.

by Anonymousreply 44October 20, 2024 10:09 PM

The first episode was totally laugh free. The supporting cast is awful, including Peterman, who is given leftovers. They clearly want her to be Barbara Jean, but a diluted Barbara Jean. Gone is the manic energy, but her character still desperately wants to be Reba's best friend.

I think the actress playing the sister is doing the best she can with a wan, sad-sack character, but making her 20-something when Reba is pushing 70 doesn't work at all. There's even a scene where Reba shows off her late father's office in the bar. He has framed a bunch of her drawings/paintings from when she was a little girl. She's very proud that he took the time to do that. The younger sister bemoans the fact that she never knew her father and there's nothing of her in his office. One of the framed paintings accidentally gets broken and it's revealed that Reba's character didn't paint it, the 20-something did. This makes no sense logically because Reba would have been in her 40s when the kid painted it, would have seen it go up on the wall and would have known it wasn't hers.

There's only one other character I'm mildly interested in, the Native American waiter. The actor is intriguing, even though they haven't given the character much to do yet. I would immediately fire the germaphobe accountant and the cook, and rework Peterman's character. I'll go back for one more look because that's how much I love Reba, but life is too short to even waste 21 min per week on a shitty sitcom.

by Anonymousreply 45October 20, 2024 10:09 PM

Yeah, they won't fire the cook.

by Anonymousreply 46October 20, 2024 11:40 PM

No, I know.

by Anonymousreply 47October 20, 2024 11:50 PM

Isn't Reba MAGA?

by Anonymousreply 48October 21, 2024 2:00 AM

No, she's not. She's probably conservative but in the Dolly Parton way.

by Anonymousreply 49October 21, 2024 3:31 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!