Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Bill Maher defends Harrison Butker amid speech uproar: 'I don't see what the big crime is'

On 'Real Time,' the comedian said about the backlash over the NFL player's comments to women, "I don't see what the big crime is, I really don't."

Bill Maher admitted he was confused on the latest episode of Real Time about the controversy surrounding Kansas City Chiefs kicker Harrison Butker‘s commencement speech at Benedictine College.

This week, the NFL player was criticized across social media over his graduation speech at the private Catholic school, which included comments condemning abortion, euthanasia, IVF, surrogacy and the LGBTQ community. He also made some remarks directed towards women in the crowd, suggesting they should embrace being a “homemaker.”

Maher initially emphasized “how much this guy is not like me,” noting Butker’s “religious, he loves marriage, he loves kids,” — all things the comedian has publicly expressed not having an interest in.

“Here’s a quote of his, ‘I’ve seen it firsthand how much happier someone can be when they disregard the outside noise and move closer and closer to God’s will,'” Maher said. “Yeah, not me. I couldn’t be more not like this.”

However, Maher went on to say he doesn’t understand the backlash regarding Butker’s comments that were directed toward women during his speech.

“I don’t get the thing he said, talking to women, ‘Some of you may go on to lead successful careers in the world.’ OK, that seems fairly modern,” Maher said before continuing to read the football player’s remarks. “‘But I would venture to guess that the majority of you are most excited about your marriage and the children you will bring into this world.’ I don’t see what the big crime is, I really don’t.”

Maher explained, “I think this is part of the problem people have with the left, is that lots of people in this country are like this. Like he’s saying some of you may go on to successful careers, but a lot of you are excited about this other way that people, everybody used to be and now can. Can’t that just be a choice too? And I feel like they feel very put upon like there’s only one way to be a good person and that’s to get an advanced degree from one of those asphalt factories like Harvard.”

The comedian isn’t the only person in Hollywood to come to Butker‘s defense amid the controversy. On Thursday’s episode of The View, Whoopi Goldberg defended the Chiefs player’s right to free speech, even if she doesn’t share his beliefs.

“I like when people say what they need to say,” the EGOT winner said. “He’s at a Catholic college, he’s a staunch Catholic. These are his beliefs and he’s welcome to them. I don’t have to believe them, I don’t have to accept them, the ladies that were sitting in that audience don’t have to accept them.”

Goldberg continued, “The same way we want respect when Colin Kaepernick takes a knee, we want to give respect to people whose ideas are different from ours because the man who says he wants to be president, You-Know-Who, he says the way to act is to take away people’s right to say how they feel. We don’t want to be that. We don’t want to be those people.”

Amid the viral backlash, the NFL clarified in a statement this week that Butker‘s “views are not those of the NFL as an organization.”

At the end of the discussion on Real Time, Maher added, “I find it very ironic that he’s saying, you know what, in my world, we like the women to stay at home and just have babies, and the college kids and the young people find this absolutely abhorrent, but they’re demonstrating for Hamas.”

The guests featured on the latest episode included Michael Eric Dyson, Nellie Bowles and Pamela Paul.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112May 27, 2024 2:14 PM

There’s the last nail in the coffin for the jock

by Anonymousreply 1May 18, 2024 7:31 PM

R1, put down the pipe. He’s still counting his millions.

by Anonymousreply 2May 18, 2024 7:33 PM

I don't get what's happened to Bill Maher.

He used to be a reasonable person. While he occasionally took controversial positions, they were still reasonable positions.

Now, he's just a delusional windbag.

by Anonymousreply 3May 18, 2024 7:35 PM

Why anybody cares what either of them have to say is beyond me. Can we not just ignore them?

by Anonymousreply 4May 18, 2024 7:37 PM

[quote]At the end of the discussion on Real Time, Maher added, “I find it very ironic that he’s saying, you know what, in my world, we like the women to stay at home and just have babies, and the college kids and the young people find this absolutely abhorrent, but they’re demonstrating for Hamas.”

Touché! 😂

But so true. 🤣

by Anonymousreply 5May 18, 2024 7:39 PM

He was right about the Hamas connection. But wrong about everything else.

by Anonymousreply 6May 18, 2024 7:43 PM

Nobody is saying it’s a crime. Most people are saying it’s stupid and that men and straight people wouldn’t tolerate being spoken about that way.

by Anonymousreply 7May 18, 2024 7:45 PM

[quote] and the college kids and the young people find this absolutely abhorrent, but they’re demonstrating for Hamas.

I knew he would bring it around to Israel. Bill has lost his mind over the Israel/Palestine conflict and has gone full Fox News because of it. He's a narcissistic prick who wants to hurt "liberals" and young people because they don't support Israel 110%.

He's the one who can't take an ounce of criticism. Just look at the meltdown he had over not getting invited to an Oscar party. He's always criticizing liberals for being thin-skinned, when in reality, he's the most thin-skinned person in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 8May 18, 2024 7:47 PM

Why straight me so stupid?

by Anonymousreply 9May 18, 2024 7:48 PM

[quote] I don't see what the big crime is, I really don't."

Who said there was a “big crime”? Who said there was any kind of crime? Oh yeah…nobody.

by Anonymousreply 10May 18, 2024 7:52 PM

Windbag Bill gets it all wrong again. The nuns who run the school that Buttlicker was speaking at took issue along with everyone else. One more time, their school, their commencement, their call...

"Instead of promoting unity in our church, our nation, and the world, his comments seem to have fostered division. One of our concerns was the assertion that being a homemaker is the highest calling for a woman. We sisters have dedicated our lives to God and God’s people, including the many women whom we have taught and influenced during the past 160 years. These women have made a tremendous difference in the world in their roles as wives and mothers and through their God-given gifts in leadership, scholarship, and their careers."

by Anonymousreply 11May 18, 2024 7:57 PM

[quote] Most people are saying it’s stupid and that men and straight people wouldn’t tolerate being spoken about that way.

Straight men wouldn’t give a shit. They’re dumped on 24/7.

by Anonymousreply 12May 18, 2024 7:59 PM

R10, he’s talking metaphorically. People are acting hysterically.

by Anonymousreply 13May 18, 2024 8:00 PM

R8, he’s right. Deal with it. College kids are babies.

by Anonymousreply 14May 18, 2024 8:01 PM

[quote] I knew he would bring it around to Israel. Bill has lost his mind over the Israel/Palestine conflict and has gone full Fox News because of it. He's a narcissistic prick who wants to hurt "liberals" and young people because they don't support Israel 110%.

Right. That’s what it is. 🙄

by Anonymousreply 15May 18, 2024 8:06 PM

I didn't find what Harrison Butker said offensive. Harrison Butker is not in my social circle so his opinions are next to nothing in my opinion. The disconnect and the outrage that he's facing are because his message was intended for a specific audience. It wasn't supposed to be heard outside of his hardcore Cataholic audience. The majority of people find value in having a family and raising children. Both men and women.

The problem is that people outside of his circle have different interpretations of his speech due to their cultural background and history.

by Anonymousreply 16May 18, 2024 8:06 PM

I watched Bill Maher say that. Maher took the one sentence that he thought was okay out of context.

You have to listen to the who speech or at least a good portion of it to hear the tone, the narrowmindedness, discriminatory and judgmental nature of what Harrison Butker said. Butker is a right-wing bigot whacko who shrouds himself in religion.

Bill Maher is wrong...and so is Butker. Maher is becoming a pompous, narrow-minded asshole. I still watch his show, but he's turning into a moron.

by Anonymousreply 17May 18, 2024 8:09 PM

Maher isn’t worth talking about. He’s no longer relevant.

Just an old man shouting at clouds.

by Anonymousreply 18May 18, 2024 8:12 PM

I can think of a lot of bigots who shroud themselves in religion who are getting support from the left right now so…?

by Anonymousreply 19May 18, 2024 8:13 PM

Yep all Muslims are bigots who deserve to get blown to bits, especially the children. The left is wrong for caring about them. Also, everyone in Gaza is a member of Hamas. Thanks for your valuable insight r19 and everyone else who pushes that line 24/7 on DL.

by Anonymousreply 20May 18, 2024 8:20 PM

The left has always looked down on homemakers and stay at home mothers. Meanwhile, kids are running wild and shooting up schools. No supervision. We’re not even supposed to call them mothers anymore. They’re birthing people. The left is revolting.

by Anonymousreply 21May 18, 2024 8:20 PM

Bill Maher, the right’s favorite liberal.

by Anonymousreply 22May 18, 2024 8:20 PM

I watched the show. It seemed to me his misunderstood what Butker was saying. Maher heard it as neutral between having careers and raising children—it’s up to you what makes you happy. Actually, Butker was encouraging women to be housewives.

by Anonymousreply 23May 18, 2024 8:21 PM

Right. Because that’s exactly what I said. lol Don’t be such a drama Queen and admit your hypocrisy.

by Anonymousreply 24May 18, 2024 8:21 PM

Sorry my comment was for r20.

by Anonymousreply 25May 18, 2024 8:22 PM

[quote] Yep all Muslims are bigots who deserve to get blown to bits, especially the children

No one says Muslim children deserve to get blown to bits.

The question is who is ultimately responsible for the tragedy in Gaza? People who give Hamas a pass and blame the war entirely on Israel are not reasonable. They are mouthpieces for Hamas, and if they are not themselves fundamentalist Muslims, they are hypocrites and/or useful idiots.

by Anonymousreply 26May 18, 2024 8:24 PM

@r21 You win today's stupid comment award. You have won a bag of dicks to eat 🤨

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27May 18, 2024 8:30 PM

"I don't get what's happened to Bill Maher."

Nothing has happened to Bill Maher.

He's the same opportunistic asshole he has been his entire life.

Maher doesn't fart without calculating what's in it for him personally each and every time.

And his "convictions" consist of sticking his finger in the air to see which way the political winds are blowing.

by Anonymousreply 28May 18, 2024 8:32 PM

[quote]I don't get what's happened to Bill Maher.

[quote]He used to be a reasonable person.

And he still is.

Harrison Butker is a Catholic, speaking at a private Catholic school, to a Catholic audience.

Where's the controversy? It certainly wasn't controversial to the audience he was speaking to. Nor to the school.

But even so: why are you so bothered by opinions that differ from yours? Butker isn't a politician. He isn't a lawmaker. So where's the problem.

by Anonymousreply 29May 18, 2024 8:32 PM

[quote] Goldberg continued, “The same way we want respect when Colin Kaepernick takes a knee, we want to give respect to people whose ideas are different from ours

I understand, and can appreciate Whoopi’s opinion, it bears mentioning that Karpernick also lost his job.

The question is not if Butker has the right to his opinions, the questions is if those opinions make him employable. All signs point to the fact that his job not in jeopardy right now, but we’ll see how the rest of the team reacts to him when they come back from the summer.

by Anonymousreply 30May 18, 2024 8:34 PM

I can't watch Bill Maher or Jon Stewart. Both humilate themselves weekly in their attempts to pander to younger people.

Butker had to know that his remarks would be offensive to most women in the audience. The fault lies with whoever invited him.

I would like to see awards dinners and graduation ceremonies fall out of favor. Boring, self-serving, supposedly meaningful but not really.

by Anonymousreply 31May 18, 2024 8:39 PM

r21 is also OP, r27. OP is also:

*Kevin Spacey: “I’ve listened. I’ve learned. I got the memo”*

[quote][quote] He has been charged, but not convicted. There is an ocean of evidence that he’s a sex pest.

[quote]Most gay men are. Gay men hysterical about sex pests are hypocritical while asking who’s looked at straight men’s dicks are the urinal and taking loads in public places. Give it a rest.

by Anonymousreply 32May 18, 2024 8:40 PM

[quote] Maher isn’t worth talking about. He’s no longer relevant. Just an old man shouting at clouds

The number of threads about him suggests otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 33May 18, 2024 8:42 PM

You think Bill Maher is pandering to young people?

by Anonymousreply 34May 18, 2024 8:43 PM

@r29, Hey, fuckface, go back and read what the nuns WHO RUN THE SCHOOL had to say @r11. Asshole 😠

by Anonymousreply 35May 18, 2024 8:44 PM

Bill’s been smoking too much

by Anonymousreply 36May 18, 2024 8:45 PM

[quote] It certainly wasn't controversial to the audience he was speaking to. Nor to the school.

Is that why the Benedictine nuns spoke out against him?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37May 18, 2024 8:46 PM

^ That's what I've been trying to say since r11 🙄

by Anonymousreply 38May 18, 2024 8:49 PM

For the ladies present today, congratulations on an amazing accomplishment. You should be proud of all that you have achieved to this point in your young lives. I want to speak directly to you briefly because I think it is you, the women, who have had the most diabolical lies told to you. How many of you are sitting here now about to cross this stage and are thinking about all the promotions and titles you are going to get in your career? Some of you may go on to lead successful careers in the world, but I would venture to guess that the majority of you are most excited about your marriage and the children you will bring into this world.

I can tell you that my beautiful wife, Isabelle, would be the first to say that her life truly started when she began living her vocation as a wife and as a mother. I'm on the stage today and able to be the man I am because I have a wife who leans into her vocation. I'm beyond blessed with the many talents God has given me, but it cannot be overstated that all of my success is made possible because a girl I met in band class back in middle school would convert to the faith, become my wife, and embrace one of the most important titles of all: homemaker.

[Applause lasting 18 seconds]

She is a primary educator to our children. She is the one who ensures I never let football or my business become a distraction from that of a husband and father. She is the person that knows me best at my core, and it is through our marriage that, Lord willing, we will both attain salvation.

I say all of this to you because I have seen it firsthand how much happier someone can be when they disregard the outside noise and move closer and closer to God's will in their life. Isabelle's dream of having a career might not have come true, but if you asked her today if she has any regrets on her decision, she would laugh out loud, without hesitation, and say, “Heck, No.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39May 18, 2024 8:52 PM

[quote]“I don’t get the thing he said, talking to women, ‘Some of you may go on to lead successful careers in the world.’ OK, that seems fairly modern,” Maher said before continuing to read the football player’s remarks. “‘But I would venture to guess that the majority of you are most excited about your marriage and the children you will bring into this world.' I don’t see what the big crime is, I really don’t.”

To me, the most objectionable part of the quote is Butker "venturing to guess" what "the majority" of young women among the graduates are most excited about. Just because that's what most exciting to Butker doesn't mean he should have the nerve to guess and state during a graduation address what he thinks is most exciting to the young women

[quote]At the end of the discussion on Real Time, Maher added, “I find it very ironic that he’s saying, you know what, in my world, we like the women to stay at home and just have babies, and the college kids and the young people find this absolutely abhorrent, but they’re demonstrating for Hamas.”

This, I must say, is an excellent point that highlights the shocking hypocrisy and/or ignorance of many of these college demonstrators.

by Anonymousreply 40May 18, 2024 8:58 PM

I haven't watched Maher in years so no idea who his audience is. I assume his anti-religious, pro-grass shtick ingratiates himwith young people but If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. I dropped him when he said he's a house n-word.

I do think Stewart is pandering to young people and he can fuck himself with Maher's dildo when he bashes Biden.

Butker better be damn nice to his wife considering the disabling illnesses former football players fall prey to.

by Anonymousreply 41May 18, 2024 9:03 PM

[quote]The left has always looked down on homemakers and stay at home mothers. Meanwhile, kids are running wild and shooting up schools.

Not true. There hasn't been a school shooting in days.

by Anonymousreply 42May 18, 2024 9:04 PM

" Some of you may go on to lead successful careers in the world, but I would venture to guess that the majority of you are most excited about your marriage and the children you will bring into this world. "

In other words you've wasted four years working on a degree, because nothing you do with your life will top the pain of giving birth. I should know I play football and get kicked in the head all the time 🥴

by Anonymousreply 43May 18, 2024 9:06 PM

[quote]Hey, fuckface, go back and read what the nuns WHO RUN THE SCHOOL had to say

Yeah, maybe to be less controversial he should have expressed the core Benedictine value: "the key to spiritual progress lies in constantly making the effort to see Christ in each person".

I wonder how that would have gone over...

by Anonymousreply 44May 18, 2024 9:13 PM

Maureen Dowd in Today's NYTimes:

"The Truth Hurts — Especially When Bill Maher Dishes It Out"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45May 18, 2024 9:19 PM

^ That's not the point, Bill Maher as usual was trying to make it all about liberal outrage when in fact the very people who run the school were outraged and if you didn't already know Catholic nuns ARE NOT LIBERALS

by Anonymousreply 46May 18, 2024 9:19 PM

Harrison is a devout Catholic who was speaking to devout Catholic audience. WTF.

by Anonymousreply 47May 18, 2024 9:22 PM

Maureen Dowd sucks so much. What other obnoxious people can we name in this thread? Patti Heaton?

by Anonymousreply 48May 18, 2024 9:22 PM

[quote]when in fact the very people who run the school were outraged

Outraged by women "who give their life wholly to their commitment to Christ" who must be "single, widowed, or divorced with an annulment. '

Uh...OK.

by Anonymousreply 49May 18, 2024 9:25 PM

^ Are you stupid? The school did NOT like his speech

by Anonymousreply 50May 18, 2024 9:25 PM

Did the Russian troll bus just pull up? The stupid in this thread is astounding

by Anonymousreply 51May 18, 2024 9:27 PM

Some people liked it. The nuns did not.

by Anonymousreply 52May 18, 2024 9:28 PM

R50 LOL. When was the last time you cared about what a Benedictine College in Kansas thinks?

by Anonymousreply 53May 18, 2024 9:28 PM

^ Their school, their call

by Anonymousreply 54May 18, 2024 9:29 PM

Lol r53, Lol I don't care except people are trying to say that he was speaking to people who approved his message, lol. THEY DID NOT... Lol

by Anonymousreply 55May 18, 2024 9:31 PM

[quote]I don't get what's happened to Bill Maher.

Nothing's happened to him. He's the same. What has changed is what it means to be a liberal.

Personally, I don't agree with Harrison Butker, but he can say it... just like Colin Kaepernick should be able to take a knee.

by Anonymousreply 56May 18, 2024 9:35 PM

^ He can't say it at our PRIVATE school 😠

by Anonymousreply 57May 18, 2024 9:43 PM

Maher is a liberal-leaning libertarian who rejects illiberal aspects of progressive ideology, especially censorship of speech deemed “offensive.” . As progressive ideology has become more dominant, he has had more occasion to criticize it. He has not changed. Our politics has changed.

He also has always had an obsession with healthy eating and a distrust of medicine, especially medications. This also brings him into alliance with some on the right who are anti-science. That’s where I lose patience with him.

by Anonymousreply 58May 18, 2024 9:44 PM

[quote]He also has always had an obsession with healthy eating and a distrust of medicine, especially medications.

Smart man.

by Anonymousreply 59May 18, 2024 9:48 PM

Not when he rails against COVID vaccines. That’s not smart. That’s paranoid.

by Anonymousreply 60May 18, 2024 9:50 PM

Ok, trolls, time for potato and vodka break

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61May 18, 2024 9:51 PM

It's so...Make America Great Again.

by Anonymousreply 62May 18, 2024 9:53 PM

He's become a bitter old man, just like the vast majority of men over the age of 50. They don't like being replaced by younger generations, who have different views and ideas. They simply can't accept that their time has passed, so they become conservative and rail against anything that differs from the good ol' days. It seems that comedians are the worst at getting older. They become so toxic and angry.

by Anonymousreply 63May 18, 2024 9:57 PM

[Quote] [R1], put down the pipe. He’s still counting his millions.

Defacto at R2 is humor-challenged because he spends all his time in the rightwing echo chamber — a humor free zone.

by Anonymousreply 64May 18, 2024 9:58 PM

Bill Maher is not conservative just because he objects to some of the excesses of progressive ideology.

by Anonymousreply 65May 18, 2024 10:01 PM

[quote] He's become a bitter old man, just like the vast majority of men over the age of 50.

Expert on “bitter.”

by Anonymousreply 66May 18, 2024 10:02 PM

[quote]I knew he would bring it around to Israel. Bill has lost his mind over the Israel/Palestine conflict and has gone full Fox News because of it. He's a narcissistic prick who wants to hurt "liberals" and young people because they don't support Israel 110%.

The sports guy is a religious conservative and has many of the same values as most Muslims. There isn’t a single Muslim majority country that has Western liberal values on rights for women and gay people.

Yet the students who shill for Hamas consider white European religious conservatives far more dangerous than Islamic religious conservatives. Part of that is white supremacy - brown people are held to a much lower standard and they are Muslims after all.

Medhi Hasan has very similar views to this guy on abortion, feminism, gay rights etc but is considered progressive because he has an English accent and wears suits.

by Anonymousreply 67May 18, 2024 10:11 PM

[quote]Yet the students who shill for Hamas consider white European religious conservatives far more dangerous than Islamic religious conservatives.

R67. I don't. Harrison Butker is a extremist asshole just like the extremist Muslims.

by Anonymousreply 68May 18, 2024 10:14 PM

Every time something like this is in the news, countless idiots made pronouncements about "free speech," when the vast majority of these news items have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with any violation of free speech, which refers to speech being censored or criminalized by the government.

by Anonymousreply 69May 18, 2024 10:27 PM

Actually, it is the First Amendment that is limited to the government. There are many other threats to free speech besides the government.

by Anonymousreply 70May 18, 2024 10:29 PM

[quote]There are many other threats to free speech besides the government.

Before I disagree with you, can you clarify what you mean by giving at least one example?

by Anonymousreply 71May 18, 2024 10:42 PM

[quote]Yep all Muslims are bigots who deserve to get blown to bits, especially the children. The left is wrong for caring about them. Also, everyone in Gaza is a member of Hamas.

Of course not everyone in Gaza is a member of Hamas. But unless I misunderstand, all Muslims are required by their religion to hold certain beliefs -- for example, about the place and function of women in society and the rights of gay people -- that are the essence of bigotry and closed-minded stupidity. Is it possible that you don't agree with this? Because if you don't, there is no accurate label for you other than "ignorant fool."

by Anonymousreply 72May 18, 2024 10:49 PM

[quote] Before I disagree with you, can you clarify what you mean by giving at least one example?

Cancel culture. Left and right.

by Anonymousreply 73May 18, 2024 10:59 PM

It’s the media that’s making a big deal about it. I hear nobody talking about this IRL. The only outrage I see is media being outraged because they claim people are outraged. But nobody outside of media is outraged.

by Anonymousreply 74May 18, 2024 11:07 PM

^ That's outrageous

by Anonymousreply 75May 18, 2024 11:13 PM

No, r75, *this* is outrageous!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76May 18, 2024 11:29 PM

He's become a bitter old man, just like the vast majority of men over the age of 50.

I'm well over 50 and I'm not taking this comment personally. I think you are at best mistaken in your observation. I know some bitter people but I don't think these people are part of a vast majority. I am happy to turn things over to the younger generation. Bitter comes in all shapes and size and ages. These types of comments don't further thoughtful or meaningful conversation. This comment in itself is rather mean spirited, which just might be the younger side of "bitter". In the words of our ex Vairst Leddy......"Be better". ( an admittedly corny attempt to throw some humor into the conversation)

by Anonymousreply 77May 18, 2024 11:52 PM

You mean "Be bester, r77.

by Anonymousreply 78May 19, 2024 12:40 AM

Will no one rid me of this irrelevant curmudgeon?

by Anonymousreply 79May 19, 2024 12:48 AM

Harrison Butker is a traditionalist, ultra-conservative Catholic, who was the commencement speaker at a traditionalist, ultra-conservative Catholic. I believe he is bigoted. against gay people and does not understand that women can be fulfilled and happy with successful careers and remain childless. I do not agree with his views.

But he has a right to voice those views. Bill Maher is right.

The public lynching of him for speaking his mind is wrong.

by Anonymousreply 80May 19, 2024 1:09 AM

The piggish, disgusting thing about Maher is that he continues to equate and does not differentiate Hamas from innocent Palestinians who are getting bombed in their apartment buildings and tents and have no food and nowhere to go. Hamas is not the same as the nearly 40,000 people who have been killed.

And yes, Israel is committing genocide and continuing to steal land in the West Bank. Maher won't even acknowledge the deaths of innocent Palestinians.

by Anonymousreply 81May 19, 2024 1:15 AM

R13 you should be spending less time on this board and more time examining the root evil behind your pride. Until you are able to accept the reality of that abomination, nothing else you do matters as it lurks beneath the shadow of that sin.

by Anonymousreply 82May 19, 2024 1:46 AM

Bill Maher is an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 83May 19, 2024 1:52 AM

[quote] And yes, Israel is committing genocide and continuing to steal land in the West Bank. Maher won't even acknowledge the deaths of innocent Palestinians.

No they are not and you can continue repeating that lie but it will not make it true. I get the impression you pro Hamas people want it to be true so you can feel more justified in your bullshit. And, did you acknowledge the death, rape and torture of the Israelis that started this war? Nah, right?

by Anonymousreply 84May 19, 2024 1:57 AM

Here is the problem. Had he just said what he believed, that the men should earn the salary and the women should take care of the home and raise the children, that Catholics should take pride in their religion then sure, I can say he is entitled to his opinion. But....he decided to demonize LGBTQIA folks, single parents, working women, et all. That is where I have a problem.

by Anonymousreply 85May 19, 2024 2:04 AM

@r80, Shut-up you dickhead, he does not have the right to express those views at a private school where those views aren't welcome. The nuns that run the schools made that quite clear

by Anonymousreply 86May 19, 2024 2:04 AM

[quote]“I find it very ironic that he’s saying, you know what, in my world, we like the women to stay at home and just have babies, and the college kids and the young people find this absolutely abhorrent, but they’re demonstrating for Hamas.”

A completely fallacious argument and intellectually dishonest (which sums up Maher completely). Apparently anyone (woman) who disagrees with the primacy of being a homemaker above all other pursuits is also someone who demonstrates in support of Hamas?

by Anonymousreply 87May 19, 2024 2:23 AM

^ That's Boomer math, supporting women's rights = supporting Hamas... Fox told him so

by Anonymousreply 88May 19, 2024 2:27 AM

[quote]No they are not and you can continue repeating that lie but it will not make it true. I get the impression you pro Hamas people want it to be true so you can feel more justified in your bullshit. And, did you acknowledge the death, rape and torture of the Israelis that started this war? Nah, right?

R84. Yes, Israel is committing genocide and continually stealing land from the Palestinians on the West Bank no matter how much you want to deny it. Hamas killed approximately 1,200 people on October 7. Israel has killed nearly 40,000 Palestinians including most of whom are innocent men, women and children since Oct 7. And when Israel wasn't killing Palestinians, it was starving Palestinians to death. Israel's response has been entirely disproportionate and barbaric and should be condemned throughout the world.

by Anonymousreply 89May 19, 2024 3:19 AM

Bill Maher has always been a misogynistic pig

by Anonymousreply 90May 19, 2024 3:53 AM

[quote]Cancel culture. Left and right.

No.. Cancel culture is not an example of curtailment of free speech by law. The people who make comments that some people find objectionable are free by law to continue doing so, and those who found them objectionable are free to boycott those who made the comments, and those who are in a position to hire the people who made the comments are free not to hire them if they consider them too controversial.

And no matter how strongly any of us might disagree with any of the above -- as, for example, I strongly disagree with the attempted cancellation of J.K. Rowling -- it does not represent curtailment of free speech by law, which I think is what we're talking about here.

by Anonymousreply 91May 19, 2024 4:19 AM

Maher is a boozy pothead who’s lost most of his brain cells and is going senile. I’m not sure why he still has a show, or why what he says matters to anyone.. It’s time for him to get a protective helmet and start riding the short bus.

by Anonymousreply 92May 19, 2024 4:37 AM

R80 Always posting from the 18th century.

by Anonymousreply 93May 19, 2024 4:51 AM

Bill Maher would never have been given a platform if he did not bitch at the left. You must understand this is part of his continuing "pay to play" platform.

by Anonymousreply 94May 19, 2024 4:55 AM

R91, you were the one who added the words “by law.” Free speech is a concept that exists outside of the specific instance of government censorship.

Repressive religious societies can curtail free speech even without the force of law. Corporations can as well. I don’t think that people calling you an asshole on Twitter rises to that level, but it’s still possible for that right to be curtailed even without government interference.

by Anonymousreply 95May 19, 2024 5:04 AM

[quote] No.. Cancel culture is not an example of curtailment of free speech by law

Why are you inserting the words “by law?”

I was asked for non-governmental threats to freedom of speech which by definition have nothing to do with the law.

On many campuses you can be punished, officially or unofficially, for questioning trans ideology.

MIT just ended a policy of requiring any applicant to a faculty position to describe what they would do to promote DEI and “nothing” was not an acceptable answer.

The Republican Party has become a cult in which anyone critical of Trump is driven out of the party.

by Anonymousreply 96May 19, 2024 5:38 AM

[quote] [R84]. Yes, Israel is committing genocide and continually stealing land from the Palestinians on the West Bank no matter how much you want to deny it. Hamas killed approximately 1,200 people on October 7. Israel has killed nearly 40,000 Palestinians including most of whom are innocent men, women and children since Oct 7. And when Israel wasn't killing Palestinians, it was starving Palestinians to death. Israel's response has been entirely disproportionate and barbaric and should be condemned throughout the world.

Seeing as you’re so informed about this issue can you clarify how many of the ‘nearly 40000 Palestinians’ dead are Hamas fighters?

by Anonymousreply 97May 19, 2024 6:24 AM

[quote]Seeing as you’re so informed about this issue can you clarify how many of the ‘nearly 40000 Palestinians’ dead are Hamas fighters?

R97. The nearly 40,000 dead Palestinians are innocent men, women and a huge amount of children. These people are not Hamas fighters. They are innocent people with nowhere to go--and Israel is starving the Palestinians by blocking food from coming into Gaza; many children of whom are dying of starvation and malnutrition.

by Anonymousreply 98May 19, 2024 7:18 AM

R97 you didn't answer the question.

How many of the deaths are Hamas fighters, 10? 100? 1000? 10000?

by Anonymousreply 99May 19, 2024 7:19 AM

There are no Hamas fighters, silly. Just innocent victims.

by Anonymousreply 100May 19, 2024 1:31 PM

He can express his views all he wants. What I have an issue with is the Christian Nationalist rhetoric he slid in there. Blaming Covid Lockdowns on Biden (it was Trump), blaming Covid on Biden, calling Biden a fake catholic and demonizing LGBTQIA+ folks. The bullshit of men need to be men again. The line that stood out to me was no longer being the "NICE" Catholics. It was akhin to calling a Jihad. Odd that conservatives hate Muslims, Radical Muslims and Conservative Christian Nationalists have a lot in common.

by Anonymousreply 101May 20, 2024 2:44 AM

I have to agree with Maher and Goldberg. He has every right to say what he feels in his speech. Fortunately for us and those in the audience, we do not need to agree with him or respect what he said (though I'm sure there are those who do) .

by Anonymousreply 102May 20, 2024 3:13 AM

R98, thank god there's another way in and out of Gaza!

Egypt is surely feeding those in Gaza, right? And allowing them access to their country and its resources?

Right?

by Anonymousreply 103May 20, 2024 3:24 AM

Bill Maher is the Elon Musk of television. We need not listen to him anymore.

by Anonymousreply 104May 21, 2024 9:35 PM

Megyn Kelly and Bill Maher get into awkward clash over her Trump support: 'You keep saying I'm nuts!'

Are we projecting, Bill? Maybe you're nuts!

by Anonymousreply 105May 27, 2024 12:03 AM

He's such an edgelord.

by Anonymousreply 106May 27, 2024 12:57 AM

why do you all keep watching Maher if you hate him so much? Personally, I think he is right. The people who are supporting terrorists are a bunch of nazis. What else would you call people who want to see Jews slaughtered? Israel didn't start this war and Hamas has been lobbing bombs at them for decades.

by Anonymousreply 107May 27, 2024 12:59 AM

Nice try, R107.

by Anonymousreply 108May 27, 2024 1:05 AM

Nice try for what? Muslims are gay and jew haters why are so many gay men supporting these cretins. They would throw you off a building if you were in the Middle East. Iran makes gay men turn into women and they cut off your dicks and you would be forced to be trans. Why support them? I am a woman but I would never support a regime that treats women and gay people like trash.

by Anonymousreply 109May 27, 2024 1:11 AM

[quote]Why are you inserting the words “by law?” I was asked for non-governmental threats to freedom of speech which by definition have nothing to do with the law. On many campuses you can be punished, officially or unofficially, for questioning trans ideology.

I inserted the words "by law" because I think that's what most people are talking about when they condemn curtailment of free speech. Although I think it's very, very wrong for a university to punish people for questioning trans ideology, I would say it's totally within their right to do so if they are a private university, whereas it would not be in their right to do so if it were a publicly funded community college. And I would say it's within the rights of a book publisher or the producers of a TV show or whatever to fire one of their writers or stars for making controversial statements that result in boycotts or protests, no matter how strongly you or I may disagree with them for firing someone for that reason.

by Anonymousreply 110May 27, 2024 1:56 PM

Why is Bill Maher still relevant? He's like the "go-to" person for stupid people who are unable to form their own opinion.

by Anonymousreply 111May 27, 2024 2:08 PM

[quote] It wasn't supposed to be heard outside of his hardcore Cataholic audience

I went to Catholic schools and their whole focus was on discipline and academic achievement, for both boys and girls. They weren’t training girls up to be homemakers.

by Anonymousreply 112May 27, 2024 2:14 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!