Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Zach Galligan- a Vintage Beefcake (of sorts)

Zachary Wolfe Galligan was born on February 14, 1964 in New York City, New York. His mother was a psychologist and his father was a lawyer who also was a founding partner of the law firm of Dickstein Shapiro. He grew up on the Upper West Side and went to The Collegiate School. During his Junior year of HS he was approached and asked to audition for the film Taps. He went to the audition and didn’t land the role but did land himself an agent that day.

After graduating HS in 1982, he began attending Columbia University while also auditioning for film roles.

In 1984 he landed his debut role in “Nothing Lasts Forever”, a film with Bill Murray. The film ended up getting shelved and never seeing the light of day. Later that year he starred in his second film (but debut film to the public), “Gremlins”, a role he beat out Kevin Bacon, Emilio Estevez and Judd Nelson for. The film turned out to be his big break, becoming a massive commercial and cultural success and becoming the third highest grossing film of 1984.

During that time Galligan was asked to audition for the lead role in “Back to the Future”. He would have had to fly out to LA to audition and meet with people etc. His parents objected to this because he was in the middle of classes at Columbia and they felt he wasn’t taking school serious enough. They wanted him to focus on school more so he can have a stead career one day if acting doesn’t work out and were strong believers in the importance of higher education. He obliged and decided to send in a videotape audition. He never heard back from the casting. He knew not being able to audition in person blew his chances.

In 1985, he played the doomed teenager Rick Brogan in Surviving, an acclaimed TV movie that featured Ellen Burstyn and Marsha Mason (as well as a young River Phoenix), and landed him on the cover of People magazine with co-star Molly Ringwald.

1986 brought his Broadway debut, replacing Matthew Broderick in Neil Simon’s Tony winning play Biloxi Blues.

In 1988, he fully dropped out of Columbia and he moved to Los Angeles. He starred as Mark Loftmore in the horror comedy Waxwork.

In 1990 he reprised his role in “Gremlins 2” as well as his role in “Waxwork 2”. Gremlins 2 did poorly at the box office, leading Hollywood to stop offering Galligan roles. He spent the next decade hoping (in vain) for another big break. “My days involved waiting for an audition, working out at the gym and partying,” he recalls. “I had a blast in the 90’s, perhaps too much fun, and maybe I should have worked a lot harder and partied a lot less, but I definitely don’t regret the 12 years I spent living out in LA.” He worked in straight to VHS films or low budget B films for years after Gremlins 2 failed.

In 1996, 14 years after starting his college career, and 14 years of aborted semesters, missed classes and multiple relocations, Zach moved back to NYC and graduated from Columbia University with a B.A. in History.

In 2002, Zach returned to his theater roots with the comedy Doing Judy at the Alcazar Theater in San Francisco, and on screen has played a Brooklyn sleazoid on Law & Order: Criminal Intent, a hack playwright in Let Them Chirp Awhile (2008), and a New Orleans sheriff in Hatchet 3 (2013). In early 2021, Galligan appeared in a Mountain Dew commercial in which his Gremlins character, Billy, gives Gizmo a drink of his Mountain Dew, and will play a role in the new Gremlins animated series being made.

He works as an acting teacher for years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53May 26, 2024 10:03 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1May 18, 2024 6:14 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2May 18, 2024 6:14 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3May 18, 2024 6:14 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4May 18, 2024 6:14 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 18, 2024 6:15 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 18, 2024 6:15 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 18, 2024 6:15 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8May 18, 2024 6:15 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9May 18, 2024 6:16 PM

Suggestion to OP. Only choose guys for your threads when there are ample photos of them actually looking like "beefcake".

"Of sorts" is watering down your brand.

by Anonymousreply 10May 18, 2024 6:19 PM

R10 you can mind your fucking business. He can post who he wants. Get a job.

by Anonymousreply 11May 18, 2024 6:23 PM

You seem nice.

by Anonymousreply 12May 18, 2024 6:26 PM

He has a "Goofus" look about him.

by Anonymousreply 13May 18, 2024 6:27 PM

He was a cutie...but where's the beef?

by Anonymousreply 14May 18, 2024 6:28 PM

He's in the 1980s David Naughton/Robert Downey Jr./Campbell Scott camp (pardon the pun) of someone who was too unconventionally pretty for Hollywood to know what to do with.

I like him and he's evidently a complete sweetheart in real life but I must say I think he's less talented overall than the other three given above.

by Anonymousreply 15May 18, 2024 6:31 PM

Terrible photo of an attractive and photogenic man

by Anonymousreply 16May 18, 2024 6:33 PM

Well, r15, you’re the only one who brought them up. He wasn’t even friends with them. He was good friends with others though.

by Anonymousreply 17May 18, 2024 6:33 PM

He should’ve ignored his parents and gone to Hollywood to audition for BTTF. They were so shortsighted.

by Anonymousreply 18May 18, 2024 6:34 PM

BTTF wouldn’t have been the hit it was with him. Michael J Fox has a natural comedic timing and charisma that Zach didn’t.

by Anonymousreply 19May 18, 2024 6:35 PM

The casting always wanted Michael J Fox for BTTF. He couldn’t do it originally so they held auditions to find Marty McFly. Had Zach gotten the role the same thing that happened to Eric Stoltz would have happened to him when Fox became available.

by Anonymousreply 20May 18, 2024 6:37 PM

We had a Bondage in Mainstream Film thread a few years ago that featured ZG all tied up and partially unclothed.

by Anonymousreply 21May 18, 2024 6:38 PM

R12, I never said he was. I said he was of that type.

And I agree with R19 that Zach would not have worked as Marty McFly.

by Anonymousreply 22May 18, 2024 6:39 PM

R18 shortsighted? If anything they were the opposite. They were highly educated people and successful. I mean, they had him in a private High school that costs over $60k a year. More than many make a year.

by Anonymousreply 23May 18, 2024 6:39 PM

Vintage beefcake is starting to smell like it’s a few days past expiry.

by Anonymousreply 24May 18, 2024 6:39 PM

He's way more beautiful than most of the young, so-called hearththrobs these days.

by Anonymousreply 25May 18, 2024 6:51 PM

He was adorable in his youth. He seemed to have done ok, not great. He did graduate after all those years, which is nice. Columbia is a great school.

So, never married? Gay?

by Anonymousreply 26May 18, 2024 6:56 PM

Nipples. Rope. Chin cleft.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27May 18, 2024 6:58 PM

R26 he married in 2005 and divorced in 2010. Not gay. In a relationship just didn’t remarry.

by Anonymousreply 28May 18, 2024 7:00 PM

My ex called that a "butt chin."

by Anonymousreply 29May 18, 2024 7:04 PM

He had a such a feminine face. So pretty. Had a crush on him on Gremlins.

by Anonymousreply 30May 18, 2024 7:06 PM

He was very cute in Gremlins and that tv movie he did with Molly Ringwald and Ellen Burstyn. He was his gotten in Waxwork but it was downhill from there. He started getting pudgy.

I remember this TERRIBLE straight to vhs “erotic thriller” he did around 1989/1990. He looked cute but pudgy. And no, he wasn’t in any sex scenes or nudity. He played the good husband and his wife wants to kill him for his inheritance money he refuses to touch.

by Anonymousreply 31May 18, 2024 7:09 PM

He was his hottest* in Waxwork.

by Anonymousreply 32May 18, 2024 7:09 PM

Still of him in the 1986 Tony winning play “Biloxi Blues”. He was Matthew Broderick’s replacement.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33May 18, 2024 7:15 PM

Promoting Gremlins 2 on Arsenio in 1990.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34May 18, 2024 7:25 PM

I knew a guy that looked so much like him that people would often ask him if he was Zack.

Dumb as a box of rocks, but a cute, confused guy who dated girls but would get hard around me at the drop of a hat. A fun fuck buddy for a while.

by Anonymousreply 35May 18, 2024 7:29 PM

So what's he look like these days?

by Anonymousreply 36May 18, 2024 8:14 PM

Follow his insta. You can see him there

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37May 18, 2024 8:18 PM

I remember him telling a story of how he’d tease JFK jr (they went to same high school) by calling him John John. JFK got sick of it and beat him up. To Zach’s credit, he said he deserved the beating.

by Anonymousreply 38May 18, 2024 8:19 PM

I answered my own question. Looks great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39May 18, 2024 8:26 PM

R38 interesting story, especially being that Galligan’s freshman year of HS was after JFK Jr. graduated

by Anonymousreply 40May 18, 2024 8:29 PM

R37, I think he looks better than good - he looks friendly and kind of impish.

by Anonymousreply 41May 18, 2024 10:28 PM

Yes. He looks good at 60.

by Anonymousreply 42May 18, 2024 11:18 PM

He always showed a prominent bulge in his pants.

by Anonymousreply 43May 19, 2024 2:22 AM

Zach was the first Man I ever had posted pics of on my bedroom door. I am sure my mom thought" isnt that cute,he sure loves Gizmo."

by Anonymousreply 44May 19, 2024 5:49 AM

[bold]I'm PRETTY SURE he has a HUGE HOG[/bold]

I remember first noticing - I can't remember if it was Gremlins or Gremlins 2 - but a scene his pants were chinos or similar and his bulge was taking up A LOT of space.

I'll post a pic from a dumb movie here showing it - 1993 "All Tied UP" - but the pic at R3 also's got the goods. Cant find a pic of him in chinos :-(

I was a kid when Gremlins came out and wow was it confusing. As a boy I knew I was supposed to be attracted to Phoebe Cates - and she was/is very attractive - but gosh if I wasn't drawn to Zach. So appealing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45May 19, 2024 6:30 AM

I had such a crush on him in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 46May 26, 2024 4:00 PM

Hi Zach, glad you could join us!

by Anonymousreply 47May 26, 2024 5:13 PM

I discovered NOTHING LASTS FOREVER years ago on BitTorrent and downloaded a copy. It’s fascinating and I’ve watched it several times.

It’s a B&W, post-modern, sci fi musical comedy. I can see why it was never released because it’s rough around the edges in places.

Zach plays an artist moving to NYC to follow his dreams, but it’s an alternate NYC (in the 80s)… a sort of low-rent Terry Gilliam’s Brazil version of the city. He ends up on a senior tour bus on the moon.

There are all kinds of weird NYC characters in bit parts (like Larry Bud Mellman, etc.) and some hilarious parodies of the downtown NYC art scene.

Zach is at the height of his youthful crushy-ness.

Seek it out if you like weird movies!

by Anonymousreply 48May 26, 2024 6:21 PM

Tweenaged me would've battled a thousand gremlins just to spend a night with Zach.

by Anonymousreply 49May 26, 2024 6:28 PM

No naked pictures though…

by Anonymousreply 50May 26, 2024 8:01 PM

R50 sign off here, Reddit, LPSG, and those weird sites you’re on and go sign up for some schooling.

by Anonymousreply 51May 26, 2024 8:10 PM

I would have ripped off his pants and sucked his horny, sweaty cock right in front of all those marauding little gremlin bastards!

by Anonymousreply 52May 26, 2024 9:32 PM

R51, thanks for the sermonette, cunt.

by Anonymousreply 53May 26, 2024 10:03 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!