Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Favorite Horror Movies?

Anyone else like horror movies? What are your faves? Mine are: A Dark Song- not scary really Martyrs - messed UP Hereditary- horrific. messed me up for awhile Evil Dead- 2013 remake - FUN Rosemary's Baby- Classic Starry Eyes- WTF?

by Anonymousreply 24May 18, 2024 1:48 AM

Prom Night 2 Hello Marylou, it's ridiculous, bizarre, and weirdly hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 1May 17, 2024 6:09 PM

I’m a sucker for 80s slashers. Want to do a rewatch of Happy Birthday To Me. The ending is hilariously ridiculous but as a kid I totally bought it. It’s also “classier” than most slashers of the era, with Glenn Ford in a supporting role and directed by J. Lee Thompson (who directed the original Cape Fear)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2May 17, 2024 6:23 PM

I love Starry Eyes! I’ll add l'interieur, Haute Tension, and an oldie Blood and Black Lace.

by Anonymousreply 3May 17, 2024 6:23 PM

R2 Love that one. Mary from Little House on the Prairie and Lauren from Young and the Restless are in it! The cover art on the VHS used to scare me as a kid(the skewer!). Then I watched it and loved it.

by Anonymousreply 4May 17, 2024 6:26 PM

Apart from the well-known classics, my favorite is The Hitcher with Rutger Hauer and C. Thomas Howell. So atmospheric and terrifying. And Tommy was cute as hell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 17, 2024 6:34 PM

Scream (1996)

While the 1980's had a few good horror movies, by 1995 the genre was full of horrific direct to video sequels. Kevin Williamson wrote a horror film about horror lovers. It is more like a murder mystery.

Wes Craven came onboard and got a truly great, and very,1990's cast- Neve Campbell, Courtney Cox, David Arquette, Skeet Ulrich, Matthew Lillard, Rose McGowan, Jamie Kennedy, Liev Schreiber, Henry Winkler, and, of course, Drew Barrymore

You just had to be there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 17, 2024 6:38 PM

Rosemary's Baby, Psycho, The Haunting (1963), Horror of Dracula, Scream, Suspiria (1977).

by Anonymousreply 7May 17, 2024 8:01 PM

My favorite is Candyman. I love the People Under the Stairs, Hellraiser and Phantasm too. I love quite a few horror but those ones I will sit down and watch anytime I catch them.

by Anonymousreply 8May 17, 2024 8:50 PM

If you like Scream, give Happy Birthday To Me a try. It doesn’t have the tongue in cheek humor but there’s a spiritual connection

by Anonymousreply 9May 17, 2024 8:54 PM

My current favorites are Suspiria, A Wounded Faun, and The Neon Demon.

I’d add the six minute music video in Ghost Ship as a special mention.

by Anonymousreply 10May 17, 2024 9:09 PM

Alien (1979)

Sigourney Weaver, Tom Skerritt, John Hurt, Ian Holm, Veronica Cartwright, Harry Dean Stanton, and Yaphet Kotto

by Anonymousreply 11May 17, 2024 9:32 PM

My favorites then to be mid 70s to early 80s cult classics: Phantasm, Tourist Trap, Zombie, Halloween, Friday the 13th (1 and 2), Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Black Christmas, The Thing, Alien, Aliens, Hellraiser, Afraid of the Dark (1982), Return of the Living Dead, The Fog, The House by the Cemetery, Demons, Sleepaway Camp, The Shining, Manhunter, Maniac

So-called classics I think are overrated: Child's Play, Poltergeist, Dawn of the Dead (1978), Evil Dead, Society

by Anonymousreply 12May 17, 2024 9:45 PM

*Homebodies*

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 17, 2024 9:45 PM

r12, movie night soon? I will bring popcorn!

by Anonymousreply 14May 17, 2024 9:49 PM

"Climax" isn't a traditional horror movie, but it's an intense trip and a half.

by Anonymousreply 15May 17, 2024 10:36 PM

I miss having horror movie nights, but those friends moved away and I can't find any gay men my age (50s) who likes horror. I thought gay men loved horror movies almost as much as irony and camp.

by Anonymousreply 16May 17, 2024 10:43 PM

Rosemary's Baby.

Jacob's Ladder - really effective horrifying moments and overall mood

Hellraiser

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (orig.,)

28 Days Later

Don't Look Now

The Wicker Man - more perversely comic, but I'll add it here

The Shining

The Vanishing (1988)

Prince of Darkness (John Carpenter, 1987) - Cheesy and just bad in many respects, yet with great elements and a very tense mood. The force in the glass cylinder is made really effective.

by Anonymousreply 17May 18, 2024 12:23 AM

LOTS of movies because it's probably my favorite genre:

Psycho

Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead

Suspiria and Deep Red (preferably in Italian)

Scream and Scream 2 (since they're one long movie)

Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness (with the original dark ending)

From Dan Curtis: the "Amelia" segment of Trilogy of Terror and the "Bobby" segment of Dead of Night

The original Wicker Man

Sisters, Carrie, Dressed to Kill (which I almost went to see in NY this afternoon) and Body Double

Carpenter's The Thing

It Comes at Night

Audition

Train to Busan

Don't Torture a Duckling

Murnau's Nosferatu

by Anonymousreply 18May 18, 2024 12:34 AM

R1 I’m so glad you mentioned that one. It’s long been one of my favourites. Totally crazy premise but played very straight for the most part. Lots of humour that isn’t necessarily apparent upon first viewing.

I also enjoy the third one, which is a full-on black comedy.

by Anonymousreply 19May 18, 2024 12:39 AM

Caught a really bad but FUN horror movie the other week. Cathy's Curse.

Little girl gets possessed by her dead aunt who died as a young girl in a car crash. The film is soooo bad it is hilarious.

"You're a medium??? More like an extra rare...PIECE OF SHIT!"

00:31:20

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20May 18, 2024 12:43 AM

"All women are bitches, repeat."

"All women are bitches!"

00:19:30

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21May 18, 2024 12:49 AM

My favorite is Scream, but I like The Chainsaw Massacre remake and the newish Pet Semetary, along with the remakes of House of Wax and My Bloody Valentine (just because I love the Supernatural guys).

by Anonymousreply 22May 18, 2024 12:57 AM

Where do you live, r16? I have a horror movie group of friends

by Anonymousreply 23May 18, 2024 1:32 AM

Central Florida

by Anonymousreply 24May 18, 2024 1:48 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!