Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Oklahoma City may get America's tallest skyscraper

What happens when there is a tornado?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 8, 2024 1:27 AM

"Everything's up to date in Oklahoma City..."

Nah, doesn't have the same ring to it.

by Anonymousreply 1May 17, 2024 5:27 PM

Gross, that phallic thing will basically become the city's new skyline. These things are supposed to be in proportion and the height of the skyscrapers increased gradually over the decades.

by Anonymousreply 2May 17, 2024 5:35 PM

Mmmm, I’d be really nervous to work in a tall building in OKC given its, shall we say, terrible history with insane people blowing shit up there.

by Anonymousreply 3May 17, 2024 5:35 PM

Perfect for another domestic terrorist like Timothy McVeigh to bring it crashing down.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4May 17, 2024 5:35 PM

If a tornado hit, there would be a lot of broken glass all over the place.

by Anonymousreply 5May 22, 2024 10:38 PM

There’s not enough demand for that monster.

It would take 20 years to fill.

by Anonymousreply 6May 22, 2024 10:39 PM

There's no need for skyscrapers. This is getting absurd. NY is sinking because of them.

by Anonymousreply 7May 22, 2024 10:53 PM

Are there tornadoes in Oklahoma?

by Anonymousreply 8May 22, 2024 11:42 PM

Earlier thread on this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9May 23, 2024 3:17 AM

Also, doesn't Oklahoma have earthquakes now, thanks to fracking? If I was working in this building, I'd ask for a seat belt at my desk.

by Anonymousreply 10June 7, 2024 4:11 PM

It makes perfect sense.

Downtown OK City has ~13mm sqft of office space. The proposed office has 5mm sqft.

Enjoy destroying commercial real estate values, driving down commercial real estate lease prices, and the huge white elephant - all of which will inevitably affect real estate prices in the area and the state economy overall.

I hope their egos push this through. Couldn't happen to a nicer city or state.

by Anonymousreply 11June 7, 2024 4:29 PM

see related thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 7, 2024 4:34 PM

I'm sure there will be proper regulations to ensure that the building standards will be up to earthquake and tornado codes.

BWAHAHAHA-Oklahoma is a red state shithole. They think having building codes are communism. Good luck when this thing collapses.

by Anonymousreply 13June 7, 2024 5:05 PM

[quote] I'm sure there will be proper regulations to ensure that the building standards will be up to earthquake and tornado codes.

I think that would make it cost-prohibitive. To make it resistant to natural disasters and terrorist attacks -- like One World Trade center -- would cost too much and not be profitable for the developer.

by Anonymousreply 14June 7, 2024 5:34 PM

as someone upthread so aptly called it : Whie Elephant.

by Anonymousreply 15June 7, 2024 5:39 PM

This sounds like a vanity project by some filthy rich oil money Oklahoman with more $ than sense. Same thing happened a few years back in Tulsa when Anal Bob (oral Roberts) built a ridiculous and not needed high rise medical center. And yup, it's mostly vacant now. These guys are always in a 'my dick is bigger than yours' contest

by Anonymousreply 16June 7, 2024 5:45 PM

Hopefully they build it in close proximity to their existing tallest, Devon Energy Center, which looks so lonesome on the skyline.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 7, 2024 6:33 PM

It’s not even attractive.

by Anonymousreply 18June 7, 2024 6:39 PM

Won’t happen. Its just “Oaky” talk and who cares a shit about Oklahoma-What have they done that matters-white trash trumpers

by Anonymousreply 19June 8, 2024 1:27 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!