Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I just got done watching "The Strangers: Chapter 1"

Starring DL fave Froy Gutierrez. I am a fan of the 2008 film, which to date is the most unnerving experience I've had seeing a film on the big screen. After seeing this trailer a couple of months ago, my expectations were seriously tempered, but it somehow managed to be even worse than I could've imagined. Absolutely fucking horrible. Abysmal. I hope none of you bitches have paid to see it yet. If you're thinking about going, don't.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32June 20, 2024 5:20 PM

[quote]Absolutely fucking horrible

Yeah, it was pretty awful. The story is quite similar to the original movie, but very poorly executed

by Anonymousreply 1May 19, 2024 5:44 PM

I thought about seeing it because I like the original. But the reviews were atrocious, so I didn't bother. I guess I'll wait until it's available on streaming. There's going to be a sequel released in the fall and a third film early next year.

by Anonymousreply 2May 19, 2024 10:09 PM

¡Froy!

by Anonymousreply 3May 19, 2024 10:15 PM

DL fave? Who the fuck is he?

by Anonymousreply 4May 19, 2024 10:17 PM

who pays for movies?

by Anonymousreply 5May 19, 2024 10:18 PM

Much of the weak plot revolves around the doomed couple trying to find food. They’re always hungry. Froy gets bitchy and they make a big deal about the girlfriend being a vegetarian. It doesn’t serve any purpose, story-wise. Maybe the subsequent films will make more sense, or at least be scarier.

by Anonymousreply 6May 19, 2024 10:33 PM

Fuck... I was so looking forward to this until that trailer a few months ago---

I have never, ever seen a trailer for a thriller that did not appeal to me in the least. (And love The Strangers - fuck, I even enjoyed the sequel!!!!)

So its confirmed that this is a bomb... (And there are supposed to be 2 more!!)

I wonder if this will end up like The Exorcist with a new director---

by Anonymousreply 7May 19, 2024 11:22 PM

R7 Yes, I loved the sequel, Prey at Night. It was exciting, and had fleshed out characters you were allowed to care about. This new one lacks personality. It has no punch. It’s difficult to root for the protagonists to prevail when they are so blank, empty. When things start to get stabby, it’s like eh, whatever.🤷🏽‍♂️

by Anonymousreply 8May 20, 2024 4:54 AM

PS-

The other two films have already been made.

by Anonymousreply 9May 20, 2024 4:56 AM

Well, I just returned from the 10:15 show. Froy is fine in it! I like Ryan and Maya. Ryan is smarter and more resourceful than most horror movie protagonists. No spoilers from me.

by Anonymousreply 10May 20, 2024 4:58 AM

Froy PR Team at r10.

by Anonymousreply 11May 20, 2024 10:50 AM

R8- I love Christina Hendricks, so that helped- And with that one, you really liked the family and characters- which elevated it. And they had 2 solid stars in it-

Very surprised that the director could be this clueless? They were acting like they were reinventing the franchise.

Horrible.

And OH SHIT! The 2 sequels for this piece of shit have been made??? One can only hope its like Annabelle.. That first one was horrendous- the others were better..

by Anonymousreply 12May 20, 2024 2:34 PM

It’s got a shit score on IMDB. I’ll wait til I can torrent it. Judging by how well it’s doing, it should be available for home release in about two weeks.

by Anonymousreply 13May 20, 2024 2:36 PM

Froy has flopped.

by Anonymousreply 14May 21, 2024 6:49 PM

I don't give a fuck what anybody says, the original "The Strangers" is a modern horror masterpiece. This is a cinematic hill I will die on. That movie is terrifying and more dread-inducing than 99% of the horror films that have been made in the last three-plus decades. My blood ran cold during the first thirty minutes the first time I saw it. It was a packed movie theater and you could've heard a pin drop until the sequence where the masked man enters the frame and watches Liv Tyler from the hallway. People audibly screamed and gasped. The whole thing is a psychological rollercoaster that functions by utilizing a very basic fear that most people have at some point in their lives.

"The Strangers: Prey At Night" has a very different tone (much more standard slasher), but it has good performances and some real showstopper sequences that make it memorable and fun (plus, you get to see the killers get their comeuppance, which makes it especially satisfying).

I wasn't expecting much, but the new reboot is horrendous. Horrible performances from Froy and Madelaine Petsch, terribly clunky script, bad dialogue, corny moments that are intended to be powerful—there is really nothing about it that works. It's just a piss poor imitation of the first film, featuring second-rate CW stars. Apparently all three films were shot consecutively, and Renny Harlin is planning to release a 5-hour seamless cut. You couldn't even pay me to watch it.

by Anonymousreply 15May 24, 2024 5:38 AM

I saw it in theaters and hated it. This WA resident was distracted by the choice to use some scraggly Slovakian forest as a standin for the PNW.

I've seen all three stranger movies and don't care for any of them. They manage to make home invasion, pretty much the worst thing that could happen to anyone, incredibly boring. Funny Games is a 100x more terrifying than that franchise.

by Anonymousreply 16May 24, 2024 6:52 AM

Did Tamara ever get home?

by Anonymousreply 17May 24, 2024 2:00 PM

R15- I agree about the original.

And that creepy ass music puts the sanest person over the edge.. (I forgot who sang all of those creepy songs, I googled it once and it was an alternative artist)

by Anonymousreply 18May 24, 2024 6:59 PM

R18 the song you're referring to is "Sprout and the Bean" by Joanna Newsom (big fan of her, and a big fan of the film too). It is very eerie in the context of the film, though it's kind of funny if you know the artist because it makes no sense that the characters' family members would've owned that album on vinyl and kept it in their summer house.

by Anonymousreply 19May 24, 2024 7:09 PM

The redhead vocal fry cunt is annoying as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 20May 24, 2024 7:55 PM

[quote]DL fave Froy Gutierrez

No. No he is not.

by Anonymousreply 21May 24, 2024 7:57 PM

R21 There are always threads about him and they get a lot of activity.

by Anonymousreply 22May 28, 2024 1:20 PM

R16 How many theaters?

by Anonymousreply 23May 28, 2024 1:21 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24May 28, 2024 1:29 PM

It really is bad. So many horror movie cliches, mixed with terrible acting. I thought the original was stupid, but it had atmosphere and style. This is like a made-for-TV adaptation.

by Anonymousreply 25June 8, 2024 1:15 PM

R24 unfortunately it's the hot garbage like this that rakes in the money, irrespective of how good (or horrid) the film is. This movie/"trilogy" truly never should have been made. Soulless, artless garbage. Go see "In a Violent Nature" instead. I'd much rather give my money to a small indie film like that, which actually has some artistic value.

by Anonymousreply 26June 8, 2024 4:26 PM

[quote] I've seen all three stranger movies and don't care for any of them. They manage to make home invasion, pretty much the worst thing that could happen to anyone, incredibly boring.

If you don't like them why do you keep going to them? You don't seem very bright.

by Anonymousreply 27June 20, 2024 12:31 PM

^For R16

by Anonymousreply 28June 20, 2024 12:32 PM

A situation like this would never happen to me because I would offer the killer a blowjob.

by Anonymousreply 29June 20, 2024 12:41 PM

Haven’t there been multiple sequels and reboots since the first film?

by Anonymousreply 30June 20, 2024 12:42 PM

I finally watched this. So bad. It felt like an extended trailer for the rest of the trilogy. One reason the original worked was it was confined to the house, but this one did away with that, which made it stupid.

by Anonymousreply 31June 20, 2024 4:41 PM

[quote]There are always threads about him and they get a lot of activity.

Sure R22 and it’s always the same three incel retards.

by Anonymousreply 32June 20, 2024 5:20 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!