Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Jack Kerouac- legendary writer, pioneer to the Beat Generation, and Vintage Beefcake

. There is so much that can be written about him as he lived one of the most fascinating lives (in my opinion), but I will keep it short.

Jean-Louis Lebris de Kérouac (known as Jack Kerouac) was born on March 12, 1922 in Lowell, Massachusetts to French-Canadian parents. He grew up speaking French only despite being American, and didn’t begin learning English until he was six years old, and spoke English with a French accent until his late teen years when he finally was able to lose the accent. His parents were devout Catholics and he always credited his mother with instilling strong faith and Christian values in him from a young age.

Kerouac went to Lowell High School where he was a star athlete in football and wrestling. His skills as a running back in football earned him scholarship offers from Boston College, Notre Dame and Columbia, with him choosing Columbia. He spent a year at Horace Mann School in The Bronx, and after the year he entered Columbia.

He broke his leg while playing football his freshman year and then spent the majority of his sophomore year benched because he did not get along with the Coach and would get into screaming matches with him. He wrote sports articles for the college newspaper during this time and joined the Phi Gamma Delta fraternity. He also studied at The New School in NYC during this time.

When his football career at Columbia ended he decided to drop out of college. He stayed in NYC for a while, living on the Upper West Side with his girlfriend (and future first wife). During this time he met the Beat Generation figures who would shape his legacy and became figures in many of his novels.

Kerouac was a United States Merchant Mariner from July to October 1942 and served on the SS Dorchester before its maiden voyage. While a Merchant Mariner in 1942, Kerouac wrote his first novel, The Sea Is My Brother. The book was published in 2011, 70 years after it was written and over 40 years after Kerouac's death.

In 1944, Kerouac was arrested as a material witness in the murder of David Kammerer, who allegedly had been stalking Kerouac's friend Lucien Carr since he was a teen.

Later, Kerouac lived with his parents in the Ozone Park neighborhood of Queens, after they had also moved to New York. He wrote his first published novel, The Town and the City, and began On the Road around 1949 when living there.

The Town and the City was published in 1950 under the name "John Kerouac" and got some good reviews but flopped in sales.

For the next six years, Kerouac continued to write regularly. Building upon previous drafts tentatively titled "The Beat Generation" and "Gone on the Road," Kerouac completed what is now known as On the Road in April 1951, while living at 454 West 20th Street in Manhattan with his second wife, Joan Haverty. Kerouac completed the first version of the novel during a three-week extended session of spontaneous confessional prose. Kerouac wrote the final draft in 20 days, with Joan, his wife, supplying him with benzedrine, cigarettes, bowls of pea soup, and mugs of coffee to keep him going. After the book was finished being written in 1951, he struggled to find a publisher.

Kerouac had a history of heavy drinking and depression.

In 1957, over six years after it was written, Jack finally found someone who would publish “On The Road”. Viking Press purchased the book but demanded the book be heavily revised before they could publish it. Jack had to remove most of the sexually explicit passages in the book and was forced to use pseudonyms for his characters instead of using the real peoples names to avoid a libel suit. This revision sanitized the book greatly, to Kerouac’s dismay.

The success of the book brought Kerouac fame, but with fame comes both good and bad. Kerouac was jumped and beaten up numerous times by men on the street and his friends were constantly attacked also, as well as robbed. Kerouac became scared to go out in public.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163May 28, 2024 11:52 PM

Kerouac decided to move to Florida and waited for the book to be released. Weeks later, the book was finally released and to his surprise, the New York Times wrote a review of it and proclaimed Kerouac the voice of the young generation. After this review, the book took off and Kerouac was hailed as a major American writer. He (along with his friends) became the faces of the Beat Generation, with the term Beat Generation being created by Kerouac himself. Kerouac's novel is often described as the defining work of the post–World War II Beat Generation and Kerouac came to be called "the king of the beat generation,"

The success of the book brought Kerouac fame, but with fame comes both good and bad. Kerouac was jumped and beaten up numerous times by men on the street and his friends were constantly attacked also, as well as robbed. Kerouac became scared to go out in public.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1May 15, 2024 10:37 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2May 15, 2024 10:38 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3May 15, 2024 10:38 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4May 15, 2024 10:38 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 15, 2024 10:38 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 15, 2024 10:39 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 15, 2024 10:39 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8May 15, 2024 10:39 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9May 15, 2024 10:39 PM

When he was a teen

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10May 15, 2024 10:40 PM

On the left

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11May 15, 2024 10:40 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12May 15, 2024 10:40 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 15, 2024 10:40 PM

So, who had him? Cassady. Did he let Allen get some? Surely some merchant marine action.

by Anonymousreply 14May 15, 2024 10:41 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15May 15, 2024 10:41 PM

R14 no one. He would have written it in one of his many books. He was always very open and honest, even about the murder.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16May 15, 2024 10:42 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17May 15, 2024 10:42 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18May 15, 2024 10:42 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19May 15, 2024 10:43 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20May 15, 2024 10:43 PM

No no no, he was active.

by Anonymousreply 21May 15, 2024 10:43 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22May 15, 2024 10:43 PM

He WAS Jack Kerouac.

by Anonymousreply 23May 15, 2024 10:43 PM

R21 no he was not. His own Christian beliefs would never allow that. Some of his friends were. Never him.

by Anonymousreply 24May 15, 2024 10:44 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25May 15, 2024 10:44 PM

OP could have subtitled this thread “or, the celebrity I’m masturbating to atm.”

by Anonymousreply 26May 15, 2024 10:44 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27May 15, 2024 10:44 PM

His best friend Neal fucked men for money or places to stay. Jack himself never did and secretly was disgusted by his friend but also fascinated.

by Anonymousreply 28May 15, 2024 10:45 PM

Hey Jack...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29May 15, 2024 10:46 PM

He looked like Borgnine at the end, but yeah, this is good stuff VB.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30May 15, 2024 10:47 PM

With Steverino in '59...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31May 15, 2024 10:50 PM

Those first few photos are so beautiful it hurts.

by Anonymousreply 32May 15, 2024 10:53 PM

God, he was beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 33May 15, 2024 10:57 PM

R30 he was a drunk. He battled depression and would drink heavy for over 2 decades. It ended up killing him at just 47 years old.

by Anonymousreply 34May 15, 2024 10:59 PM

Merde!

by Anonymousreply 35May 15, 2024 11:02 PM

I swear. Looking at these photos probably explain why I am single - other than the fact that I find myself attracted to handsome vintage men from previous time periods. I read “On the Road” just a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 36May 15, 2024 11:02 PM

'On the Road' is an incredible book. I read it when I was 18 and it had a big impact on me. He was a jazz lover and the style of writing is like an extended jazz riff going to all sorts of weird and wonderful places.

I'm pretty sure he had some sort of thing going with Cassady at some point, didn't he? He had some gay inclinations which caused him a lot of internal conflict due to his upbringing and the culture he lived in.

by Anonymousreply 37May 15, 2024 11:06 PM

Apparently he was drunk in a bar in later life and was shouting, “I blew Gore Vidal”, so…

by Anonymousreply 38May 15, 2024 11:07 PM

R36 I’m an older Millennial (born in the late 80s) and read most of the book for the first time around 2012, but never got to finish it because my book vanished. Literally, I don’t know what happened to it. It must have gotten thrown out accidentally or something.

I bought it again for the first time weeks ago so I can finally finish it, but started from the beginning again because I don’t remember everything.

His original manuscript of the book was published a few years ago. I may read that one after this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39May 15, 2024 11:09 PM

Ok, there is a poster on here already starting his weird lying shit. I don’t wanna send your links to Muriel so you get greyed out again. Keep the lying to a minimum.

by Anonymousreply 40May 15, 2024 11:11 PM

R38 Somewhat incredibly, Vidal claimed to be a total top. I'm not sure he even blew other guys.

by Anonymousreply 41May 15, 2024 11:18 PM

All of his best-known associates were gay or adjacent. Neal, Allen, Burroughs. He was with them in Tangiers. Probably with Kenneth Williams lurking around.

by Anonymousreply 42May 15, 2024 11:19 PM

I’ve always found it fascinating how many photos of him still exist. He was born in 1922. I’m impressed. Imagine all the photos that got lost over the years! He sure loved being photographed.

Something no one speaks about is how the fame from On The Road had such a negative impact on his life. It’s always spoken about as such a positive, because yes, it was a great book and success, but a lot of the men in NYC were awful to him. He was constantly getting beaten up and jumped by random men once he became famous. He was already a drinker but he fell deep into alcoholism. He would drink alcohol like it was water practically.

by Anonymousreply 43May 15, 2024 11:19 PM

R42 you clearly know nothing of him if you think all his closest friends were gay. They weren’t. There was a couple. That wasn’t the whole group. Neal wasn’t gay. He was a hustler. Look up the term.

You can be around gay men and not be gay. It’s time to grow the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 44May 15, 2024 11:20 PM

Big Sur was OK, his late DTs book.

by Anonymousreply 45May 15, 2024 11:21 PM

Truman Capote's flip dismissal of Kerouac's work: "That's not writing, that's typing."

by Anonymousreply 46May 15, 2024 11:22 PM

Most of his books published were books he wrote but never intended to be published. Many of his writings were found and published decades after his death.

by Anonymousreply 47May 15, 2024 11:23 PM

There is newer scholarship on Kerouac’s sexuality. You can still debate Whitman if you like, honestly. Nobody was out and proud, but it’s certainly worthy of discussion and not just gate keeping.

by Anonymousreply 48May 15, 2024 11:23 PM

Gore Vidal claimed to have fucked Kerouac

by Anonymousreply 49May 15, 2024 11:24 PM

R49 post a source.

by Anonymousreply 50May 15, 2024 11:25 PM

R48 POST. A. SOURCE.

by Anonymousreply 51May 15, 2024 11:25 PM

[quote]Apparently he was drunk in a bar in later life and was shouting, “I blew Gore Vidal”, so…

I read that Vidal also bragged that he fucked him at the Chelsea Hotel. He was a big drunk and in the 60s he moved with his mother to a house across the street from us for a few years before he moved to FL. Kerouac was kind of like the town drunk by then and was 86'd from all the bars downtown, except one I think. He liked to get into fights. He didn't talk to any of the neighbors except my dad. Dad was cool and had him over for drinks. Mom, who wasn't cool, didn't like him, said he was a sloppy drunk, and didn't want him in the house.

by Anonymousreply 52May 15, 2024 11:25 PM

He also had some writing that was too racy to be published for a while. Visions of Cody came out what in the 70s? Opens with him jacking it in the train station bathroom IIRC? He was a wild man!

by Anonymousreply 53May 15, 2024 11:26 PM

“ In 1944, Kerouac was arrested as a material witness in the murder of David Kammerer, who allegedly had been stalking Kerouac's friend Lucien Carr since Carr was a teenager in St. Louis. William Burroughs was also a native of St. Louis, and it was through Carr that Kerouac came to know both Burroughs and Allen Ginsberg. Carr claimed that Kammerer's homosexual obsession turned aggressive, finally provoking Carr to stab him to death in self-defense. Carr dumped the body in the Hudson River. Afterwards, Carr sought help from Kerouac. Kerouac disposed of the murder weapon and buried Kammerer's eyeglasses. Carr, encouraged by Burroughs, turned himself in to the police. Kerouac and Burroughs were later arrested as material witnesses. Kerouac's father refused to pay his bail. Kerouac then agreed to marry Edie Parker if her parents would pay the bail. (Their marriage was annulled in 1948.)[36] Kerouac and Burroughs collaborated on a novel about the Kammerer killing entitled And the Hippos Were Boiled in Their Tanks. Though the book was not published during their lifetimes, an excerpt eventually appeared in Word Virus: The William S. Burroughs Reader (and as noted below, the novel was finally published late 2008). Kerouac also later wrote about the killing in his novel Vanity of Duluoz.”

by Anonymousreply 54May 15, 2024 11:26 PM

Gore Vidal claimed to have fucked everyone at some point

by Anonymousreply 55May 15, 2024 11:26 PM

R52. We need a source. Replying to yourself isn’t a source. I will email Muriel. Consider this a warning

by Anonymousreply 56May 15, 2024 11:26 PM

It was a very unsavory scene. Burroughs also was a murderer!

by Anonymousreply 57May 15, 2024 11:27 PM

R56 I don't know who you are but you seem concerned. I only posted once on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 58May 15, 2024 11:30 PM

This is R56

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59May 15, 2024 11:33 PM

Or possibly Barry Miles….

by Anonymousreply 60May 15, 2024 11:34 PM

I fucked Vidal and Kerouac at the same time at the Chelsea Hotel.

by Anonymousreply 61May 15, 2024 11:39 PM

R51 Try this biography, it discusses his sexuality in some detail, there's mention of a threesome he claimed to have had with a US marine and sailor sometime in the 1940s IIRC. Doesn't to my recollection mention Vidal though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62May 15, 2024 11:42 PM

I enjoyed Vidal's collected essays: one of them tells the story of him meeting Kerouac at a performance of something or other and some level of flirting happening between them. Vidal describes it as 'two rough pieces of trade sizing each other up'. That phrase stuck in my mind because I couldn't for the life of me see in what universe Vidal could possibly be considered a 'rough piece of trade'.

by Anonymousreply 63May 15, 2024 11:46 PM

"Two piece of rough trade." Vidal had quite an imagination.

by Anonymousreply 64May 15, 2024 11:59 PM

Classic québécois mug…it runs in my family.

…although, my generation here in the US are all cut.

by Anonymousreply 65May 16, 2024 12:07 AM

I just got done with a Gore Vidal bio with a description of his dalliance with Kerouac:

"Kerouac proposed to Vidal that they get "a room around here." They went to the familiar Chelsea Hotel on Twenty-third Street, signing their names in the register. Gore told the clerk that "this register would become famous." In Vidal's account they first showered together, then went to bed. A red neon light flickered with a rosy glow through the shadeless window. Kerouac blew him. Then they rubbed bellies for a while. Then Vidal flipped him over and attacked him from behind. Years later he still remembered that he "stared at me for a moment . . . forehead half covered with sweaty dark curls -- then he sighed as his head dropped back on the pillow . . . the rosy neon from the window gave the room a mildly infernal glow." In Vidal's account, Kerouac was impotent. He slept on the bathroom floor, not in the bed. In his own account, Kerouac left out the sexual details entirely so as not to offend his mother. Apparently Kerouac boasted to friends later that day, "I blew Gore Vidal.""

by Anonymousreply 66May 16, 2024 12:12 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67May 16, 2024 12:19 AM

I don’t doubt for a second he was a sexually confused man. He was very eccentric and curious and loved exploring and trying things. I would never claim he was gay but definitely bi-curious. There is a lot of implications in On The Road but he never blatantly states anything.

I don’t believe Gore Vidal though.

by Anonymousreply 68May 16, 2024 12:21 AM

A poet remembering Kerouac on the anniversary of “On The Road” being published.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69May 16, 2024 12:27 AM

Anyone here had him?

by Anonymousreply 70May 16, 2024 12:29 AM

He looked really hot in all these photos. Too bad about the drinking because it took his looks away very quickly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71May 16, 2024 12:35 AM

Like R68, I would never believe Jack K. could be at all gay - eew - but I totally believe R52!

by Anonymousreply 72May 16, 2024 12:36 AM

R72 what r68 said was mature and with logic. You wouldn’t understand what that is.

They’re saying he was clearly attracted to men but wasn’t GAY, but more bi, or in modern day he would be pan. However, by all accounts he was a devout Catholic so he was someone battling with himself internally. If you take the time to learn a lot about who he was, you would understand why he ended up drinking himself to death.

by Anonymousreply 73May 16, 2024 12:40 AM

Kerouac had a relationship with Joyce Johnson and they lived together for a couple of years. She was beautiful and later wrote a book about him called "The Voice is All: The Lonely Victory of Jack Kerouac."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74May 16, 2024 12:41 AM

I feel like a bio of Neal Cassady is a missed opportunity. That guy was everywhere in the 50s/60s/70s counter-culture, for no apparent reason other than showing up and people liking him a lot and being good looking.

He shows up in Kesy's books (part of that group) and Tom Wolfe's book about the era. He was around the Grateful Dead a lot (they wrote a song about him). I'm sure there are a pile of other associations. For whatever reason a huge number of impactful, talented people in that general place at that general time loved the guy.

Of course, there's probably not much to say beyond him always being around. Don't know that he contributed much other than inspiration and being the guy who could drive for days on end without sleeping much.

by Anonymousreply 75May 16, 2024 12:43 AM

How do you email Muriel?

by Anonymousreply 76May 16, 2024 12:45 AM

There are a couple of bios on Cassady and he actually wrote his memoirs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77May 16, 2024 12:48 AM

R74 yes. He also had a relationship with a black woman in NYC in 1953 (I think it was that year), back when interracial was a MASSIVE no. Only thing worse than interracial relationships were homosexual ones. He, of course, explored both. That was what the Beats culture was. Queer people filled that sub-culture. Beats Culture in the 50s is what birthed the hippie movement in the 60s.

by Anonymousreply 78May 16, 2024 12:50 AM

You should read the Original Scroll. It’s fascinating.

The original scroll begins "I first met Neal not long after my father died," but this was changed in the original published version to "I first met Dean not long after my wife and I split up." And of course that change changes everything, and also helps to make everything make sense. Because Neal/Dean would make no sense as the replacement for the missing father figure. (If anything, Sal would be the father figure.) But Dean makes perfect sense as the replacement for the romantic relationship breaking down.

Neal/Dean was the center of all things when it came to Jack/Sal

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79May 16, 2024 12:54 AM

Heart Beat

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80May 16, 2024 1:02 AM

r66, Gore Vidal claimed that, but Vidal was infamous for regularly lying about his sex life.

Certainly Vidal was very promiscuous when he was younger (and then hired rent boys near Positano when he got older), but he claimed to have sex than with all kinds of famous desirable people, and few people believe all of his claims.

He loved to create big impressions about himself that just weren't true, including that Jackie Kennedy was his stepsister (she wasn't--although her mother married the same man, Hugh Auchincloss, that had been married to Gore Vidal's mother previously), and that he was related to Al Gore (which wasn't true), and, most hilariously of all, that he was a cousin of Jimmy Carter's, which he claimed during the Carter presidency and which he never proved.

I believe Vidal did have sex with Neal Cassady (which he also claimed), but I doubt he had sex with Kerouac. It would have been too out of character for Kerouac.

by Anonymousreply 81May 16, 2024 1:04 AM

You should read Kerouac’s later book, Visions of Cody. Cody Pomeray = Neil Cassidy. It is, as far as Kerouac was concerned, the definitive version of the material previously laid out in On the Road. It includes a long section, which is a transcript of a recorded conversation between Jack and Neil, as well as more detailed accounts of various aspects of their lives together. It would be more grist for your gay mill than On The Road.

by Anonymousreply 82May 16, 2024 1:05 AM

Kerouac liked to be near schools with baseball diamonds. He liked sports and keeping in shape. Before, alcohol took him down. There was a baseball diamond in a school field across the street and Kerouac would get the guys together to play on the weekends. Allen Ginsberg and his lover Peter Orlovsky would come. Orlovsky was from the area. Locals thought Ginsberg was bizarre because he'd come out in the middle of winter wearing only a djellaba and sandals. Kerouac would pull his beer home in a little red wagon. He didn't drive and he would never accept a ride. He had a lot of (mostly male) friends who would make a pilgrimage to his house, which was a small cape cod. He was devoted to his mother and his cats. After he was kicked out of the bars downtown (except for Gunther's Tap Room), Kerouac would pontificate on various subjects, buzzed on beer and bennies, in his living room, but only if his mother was okay with guests.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83May 16, 2024 1:05 AM

Interview in French from later years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84May 16, 2024 1:06 AM

I 100% believe Kerouac had gay relations, I just don’t believe he did with Vidal. At all. Vidal was known for lying.

Kerouac’s diaries that were found after he died pretty much confirmed he had gay relations but he also had straight ones. He was a repressed bisexual.

Vidal was never mentioned in them either and he mentioned other men he had sex with. Usually just oral.

by Anonymousreply 85May 16, 2024 1:07 AM

[quote] R52. We need a source. Replying to yourself isn’t a source. I will email Muriel. Consider this a warning

Hi, Sea Cow.

For those of you who don't know: the Sea Cow always warns he will call in Muriel and tell on you. When he first came to DL he would threaten to call his uncle whom he said was a police officer.

He's like the girl at the Chadwick School in "Mommie Dearest": "I'm going to tell. I am. I am going to TELL!"

by Anonymousreply 86May 16, 2024 1:08 AM

1944 NY Times article about the murder

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87May 16, 2024 1:14 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88May 16, 2024 1:17 AM

Another interesting read

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89May 16, 2024 1:19 AM

Gore Vidal liked to think of himself as a power top. Ha! If you slept with him, you could bet it would be all over the grapevine the next day. He also claimed he fucked Brad Davis, the actor from Midnight Express. I thought he was a boring writer (except for some essays).

by Anonymousreply 90May 16, 2024 1:22 AM

Allen Ginsberg called out Vidal for lying about Kerouac. Vidal boasted about hooking up with him for decades and Allen said he’s lying, Kerouac never did a thing with him. Vidal was known to make up hookups.

by Anonymousreply 91May 16, 2024 1:23 AM

Didn’t Burroughs kill his wife?

by Anonymousreply 92May 16, 2024 1:25 AM

R81 Vidal's origin myth was the affair he supposedly had a long affair with Jimmy Trimble, who was the star baseball player and school stud at the elite Washington school they went to. He even instructed he be buried next to Trimble, who died very young at Iwo Jima. The affair is presented as a defining moment in his life in his autobiography, Palimpsests, which I quite enjoyed. Bit of a kick in the teeth, of course, for his partner of over 50 years who barely rates a mention in comparison.

Apparently Trimble's family are claiming it was all made up. Hard to tell. Even if Trimble was a closeted baseball star you wonder what he would have seen in the young Vidal. On the other hand one of Vidal's early novels, published when he was emerging and no-one knew who he was, had a dedication to 'J.T.'

by Anonymousreply 93May 16, 2024 1:33 AM

Everyone who knew Kerouac saw what fame did to him — it destroyed him. It is actually very sad.

by Anonymousreply 94May 16, 2024 1:35 AM

R92 Yes. What happened is disputed, there are claims he killed her while drunkenly trying to imitate William Tell.

Gotta love The Beats, they were hardcore.

by Anonymousreply 95May 16, 2024 1:39 AM

Vidal lied about many and loved waiting until people died and couldn’t defend themselves to make claims.

by Anonymousreply 96May 16, 2024 1:46 AM

One day my son, you will be a great typist

by Anonymousreply 97May 16, 2024 1:48 AM

One thing Capote and Kerouac had in common. They both occasionally appeared stoned on television. If you read the comments below the video you find a lot of compassion for Kerouac. People who read him were charmed by him and felt protective of him. The people who came to know him felt the same way. I finally read On the Road and thought it was very good, although I didn't quite understand the impact it had in the literary world or why Kerouac was revered by so many.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98May 16, 2024 2:04 AM

On The Road is a complex novel. It isn’t a simple book. I’m almost certain r98 didn’t read it. It’s ok to not like it but to question its impact is absurd.

by Anonymousreply 99May 16, 2024 2:10 AM

The mention of Neal Cassidy made me think of this documentary. A fascinating watch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100May 16, 2024 2:11 AM

Sorry R99. I did read it but it was a long time ago. Maybe it's time to read it again because I honestly did not understand it's impact. I wouldn't agree with Capote's "It's only typing" line because it was good. I read a bunch of books around the same time. Freud's "Future of an Illusion," Milgram's "Obedience to Authority" and others along those lines. TBH, "On the Road" reminded me of a hitchhiking trip I took to New Mexico back in the 70s. I'm interesting in hearing about the impact if you're up to it. Might save me a reread.

by Anonymousreply 101May 16, 2024 2:20 AM

(its impact)

by Anonymousreply 102May 16, 2024 2:21 AM

His daughter (and only child) died in 1996 at 44. She died young just like him

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103May 16, 2024 2:26 AM

R100 - thanks, downloading it now. Looking forward to it

by Anonymousreply 104May 16, 2024 2:30 AM

They called him the Crabs Queen and it wasn't for his gift for preparing seafood for his friends.

by Anonymousreply 105May 16, 2024 2:33 AM

I haven't looked though this whole thread but there was a large dick contemporary of Kerouac who showed it well and Jacko hated that the guy was so nicely endowed.

by Anonymousreply 106May 16, 2024 2:37 AM

R101 read the comments on this bio video. It’s still a beloved book to this day and many say it shaped the way they think from a young age or credit this book for why they love reading or writing etc. I am reading the book for a second time and the way he writes is unique. This is why I don’t believe you’ve read the book. You speak of it as if it’s some YA novel when it’s a very mature read and uniquely written.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107May 16, 2024 2:46 AM

I saw someone say the way he writes is very Freeform Jazz. His writing style is the equivalent of jazz music. Kerouac himself wanted his writings to be “free form word jazz”. And that’s exactly what it was. He had a unique way of telling stories and got a lot of young people into literature.

by Anonymousreply 108May 16, 2024 2:50 AM

He sort of looks like DL fav Colton Hayes, especially in r107's thumbnail.

by Anonymousreply 109May 16, 2024 2:53 AM

Beats wandering around NYC in 1959. Colorized (it was originally in B&W)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110May 16, 2024 2:54 AM

The Nervous Set

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111May 16, 2024 3:02 AM

I hate that song. Fuck off Fran Landesman.

by Anonymousreply 112May 16, 2024 3:14 AM

The original scroll is on display in Boston

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113May 16, 2024 3:24 AM

Deadbeat Dad and drunk. Socialsed better than he wrote, and being easy on the eyes did him favours. Other people were writing just as well but didn't look as good in media placements. Legacy strengthened by On The Road's appeal to adolescents and endorsement by other celebs.

by Anonymousreply 114May 16, 2024 3:52 AM

[quote]I don’t believe Gore Vidal though.

Words to live by.

by Anonymousreply 115May 16, 2024 4:48 AM

R114 what year do you think he was published? Media placements? It was 1957. His face wasn’t plastered anywhere. Not even on the book. The book took off because of amazing reviews, particularly from The NY Times.

Once again you put your retarded ways on full display. Below is what the first edition book looked like.

As far as being a deadbeat dad, yeah. The issue was he didn’t believe she was his. Her mother divorced him while pregnant. He believed the baby was someone else’s and that’s part of why she left. He was finally able to get a paternity test done when she was 9 and that was when he finally acknowledged her as his daughter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116May 16, 2024 8:38 AM

Someone sounds a little too attached to his precious Jack Kerouac and anachronistic terms like "retarded", sprinkled with a bit of naivete about how publishing works.

by Anonymousreply 117May 16, 2024 8:43 AM

And holy shit, r117's posting history is like Martha from Little Reindeer.

by Anonymousreply 118May 16, 2024 8:46 AM

R117 naïveté? I stated facts. Not opinions. You posted your opinion as a fact. Yes, retarded. One doesn’t need to be attached to acknowledge facts. This has been documented for 70+ years. You accused an author of being successful because of his looks. An AUTHOR. That can be said of a singer or actor but no one is reading someone’s book because they are handsome. And in 1957 people didn’t know what he looked like until after the book took off and became a huge hit. There weren’t big book tours like there are now, the internet didn’t exist and tv had 3 channels. He didn’t do a tv interview until two years after the book came out.

These are just facts.

by Anonymousreply 119May 16, 2024 9:18 AM

[quote]This is why I don’t believe you’ve read the book. You speak of it as if it’s some YA novel when it’s a very mature read and uniquely written.

Your remarks to me about not having read the book, when I said I read it twice and it was "very good", and the overall condescending tone of your response is annoying. Was Kerouac a blood relative, a former lover, a drinking buddy? Your responses to me smack of priggishness. However, thanks for the info and I'll take a look at it.

by Anonymousreply 120May 16, 2024 10:29 AM

R120 retard, I said you didn’t read it because you didn’t read it. Like I said, it’s one thing to say that the book wasn’t for you, but you went ahead and questioned the impact ahead at the time. Anyone who reads the book can see why it had an impact. And anyone who reads the book can see how uniquely written it was. no one would question that

by Anonymousreply 121May 16, 2024 10:50 AM

He looks like a wide receiver to me.

by Anonymousreply 122May 16, 2024 11:35 AM

R43 if he’s repeatedly getting beaten up in NYC, it’s probably because he was an asshole, or going to the wrong places doing the wrong things while there.

No one just gets randomly beaten up, repeatedly. He was likely a nasty drunk, with a silver tongue, but fists made of Jello.

by Anonymousreply 123May 16, 2024 11:43 AM

Sexy though

by Anonymousreply 124May 16, 2024 11:55 AM

My grandmother went all through school with him and sat next to him in homeroom. I have posted this here before on a celebrities-you've-met thread. They went to Lowell High together. She said he was very greasy and always wore an undershirt to class, which I am sure would please many of you. As a 1950s Lowellian, she hid his books in her nightstand.

by Anonymousreply 125May 16, 2024 11:57 AM

R123 actually, people get jumped and beat up for no reason in New York City all the time. This is in a new occurrence. This is been going on forever.

by Anonymousreply 126May 16, 2024 12:10 PM

R123 random attacks still happen today. I’m sure it was even worse pre-cameras everywhere etc

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127May 16, 2024 1:16 PM

foxnews doesn't count

by Anonymousreply 128May 16, 2024 1:17 PM

R128 Fox News has nothing to do with Steve Buscemi getting attacked. Seriously, the biggest retard on this site. Get off here.

by Anonymousreply 129May 16, 2024 1:20 PM

I bet he was well hung and had a beautiful cock.

by Anonymousreply 130May 16, 2024 1:39 PM

I'm surprised that 🌊🐄 would even know who Kerouac IS.

by Anonymousreply 131May 16, 2024 1:42 PM

[quote]R120 retard, I said you didn’t read it because you didn’t read it.

Ah, I get it now, you're the "retard" troll which really says a lot about you. What are you, six? No one uses that word anymore except immature, unintelligent bullies and i see you all over DL using it, including several times in this thread directed to me and to others, like the post above at R129. I responded nicely to you asking you to explain how you felt the book had the "impact" you claim it did and all you can say is that I never read the book, more than once, even after I told you I read it. Genuflect all you want to your great god Kerouac, but you seem to be very fond of your own opinions and unable to accept the fact that there are people out there who don't see "On the Road" as the Holy Grail of Literature. That's fine, don't care, glad you got so much out of it. But your vocabulary and snobbism doesn't serve your integrity.

by Anonymousreply 132May 16, 2024 1:47 PM

"Kerouac had the highest IQ in the history of Newport Naval Base at the time he was stationed there (1942), and because of it he was suspected of being a German spy. He was later discharged from the Navy for "angel tendencies," an early term for schizophrenia."

Still there's nothing wrong with a greasy high school jock with a poetic flair, genius IQ, and the face of a street thug angel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133May 16, 2024 1:52 PM

My husband’s high school English teacher (a wealthy “walker” in mid-20th century Denver) used to drive Kerouac and Cassidy around town and helped support them—a true strong of the arts. He was not amused when Kerouac put a very thinly veiled version of him in his writings—“Professor Mannerly.”

by Anonymousreply 134May 16, 2024 2:25 PM

[quote]I'm surprised that 🌊🐄 would even know who Kerouac IS.

Love it. Sea Cow. Except it doesn't quite fit cuz they are gentle and intelligent animals who don't bother anyone. lol

Sea Cow spends a lot of her time on DL castigating people using crude terminology who express an opinion different than her own.

by Anonymousreply 135May 16, 2024 2:43 PM

R135 Sad Moobs McSeacow has to find SOMETHING to do between her DoorDash orders.......

by Anonymousreply 136May 16, 2024 3:36 PM

Je me souviens!

by Anonymousreply 137May 16, 2024 4:14 PM

just watched a documentary on him and he was breathtakingly handsome, and very asocial, just didn't like other people very much

by Anonymousreply 138May 16, 2024 5:35 PM

That’s a Canuck for ya—hung, silent and deadly.

by Anonymousreply 139May 16, 2024 5:53 PM

He was a loner who hated being lonely. It’s a struggle.

by Anonymousreply 140May 16, 2024 7:11 PM

Kerouac was hot af, but The Beats are The Bores.

They made us read all this crap in high school and I found it all dull as dirt.

by Anonymousreply 141May 16, 2024 9:52 PM

I really appreciate this thread. It’s educational, culturally significant, and gives a history of how gay men created art and writing that inspired millions and had a good influence on society. They practiced radical acceptance and honesty. They didn’t hide their pain. Yes they got loaded a lot. I like his convos with William f buckley jr (a known homophobe). I believe the episode with gore Vidal was real. Kerouac was very handsome

by Anonymousreply 142May 16, 2024 9:59 PM

He wasn’t a gay man. As a matter of fact, he wrote this book with the help of his WIFE.

by Anonymousreply 143May 16, 2024 10:01 PM

[quote]I saw someone say the way he writes is very Freeform Jazz. His writing style is the equivalent of jazz music. Kerouac himself wanted his writings to be “free form word jazz”. And that’s exactly what it was.

but the question still remaining is: was his writing anything like jazz?

by Anonymousreply 144May 17, 2024 12:24 AM

Sounded like he bottomed

by Anonymousreply 145May 17, 2024 3:19 AM

Fascinating man- probably a bit bisexual (I believe his contemporaries). And an alcoholic who drank himself to death. His last years are very sad.

by Anonymousreply 146May 17, 2024 12:49 PM

So he just wrote about fantasy? Did he live this life he wrote about?

by Anonymousreply 147May 17, 2024 3:49 PM

R147 A lot of the characters in his books are based on real people. He certainly lived the drifting, drink and drugs lifestyle of the beats for a while, with crazy jaunts to Mexico and months spent meditating in remote rangers' cabins and so on.

by Anonymousreply 148May 17, 2024 4:41 PM

On the Road is based on his actual experiences On the Road. Yes. He lived the life on the road. As did his friends. R148 if you know about what you wrote you should know about his years on the road.

by Anonymousreply 149May 17, 2024 5:34 PM

R149 I do! I recommended the biography 'Desolate Angel' above which covers it all pretty well, though there might have been better ones published since 2003.

by Anonymousreply 150May 17, 2024 5:37 PM

R150 my point is if you know about his trips to Mexico you should know about his numerous cross-country trips. Read what you wrote. It’s downplays his years on the road.

The poster above asked if he actually did that and your response makes it sound vague. The clear answer should have been YES

by Anonymousreply 151May 17, 2024 5:39 PM

hahaha, ok R151! I deeply regret the insufficiently emphatic nature of my previous communication.

YES!

by Anonymousreply 152May 17, 2024 5:44 PM

R147 “The book was largely autobiographical and describes Kerouac's road-trip adventures across the United States and Mexico with Neal Cassady in the late 40s and early 50s, as well as his relationships with other Beat writers and friends.”

The book is factual. Kerouac mostly wrote his own experiences in life or the experiences people he knew were having. Everything he wrote in On The Road- the original scroll- really happened and he even used the real peoples names. The publisher made him use pseudonyms to get published to avoid lawsuits. He also had to change some stuff around and had to take full portions and chapters out of the book because they were too sexually graphic at the time. The publisher didn’t want any of that. So the book went from being 100% autobiographical to mostly autobiographical.

by Anonymousreply 153May 17, 2024 9:14 PM

I always found it interesting how he was partially responsible for the hippie movement in the mid-late 60s but hated the hippie movement and wanted no parts of it.

He was truly a tragic figure. One who most don’t realize was so tragic.

by Anonymousreply 154May 17, 2024 11:14 PM

R154 funny you mention his hatred of the hippie movement. I was just watching a video of a man discussing this about Kerouac. He uploaded the video 2 years ago. He rambles too much but I agree with him that Jack wrote about his road adventures (On The Road) in a very positive light (despite a lot of negative happening) because he was such a young man when this happened and when he wrote the book.

Many young people who’ve read the book romanticize the idea of living your youth on the road, traveling via car all over the country and into Mexico or even Canada etc. and think this is a way of living but in reality old Jack didn’t believe the own philosophy he made famous when he was young. And people don’t take into account how Kerouac was miserable and an alcoholic when he got older and a lot of that started from his time on the road. There was a lot of loneliness, starvation and tears from him while on the road too. But many young people fail to see that and romanticize it all.

I do love how fans of the book (or Kerouac’s work in general) feel a connection to him despite him having been dead for decades. You can tell they feel they knew him so well because he put all of himself in his writings to the point you feel you know him after you’re done reading. He was gifted. And tragic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155May 17, 2024 11:56 PM

I remembered this thread and had to go in my closet and find my On The Road dvd. I actually forgot I had this. I went to an early screening of it in 2012 with my then girlfriend and she didn’t like it but i thought they did a good job with it. The few people who’ve seen this film (most don’t know it exists) seem pretty judgmental of it but I liked it.

I bought the DVD when it came out and when I moved I lost it so bought it again a few years ago. It just sits in my closet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156May 26, 2024 11:08 PM

At least Matt Damon wasn’t Neal Cassady.

by Anonymousreply 157May 26, 2024 11:52 PM

One of Carr's sons, seen in the clip at r110, just died the other day.

by Anonymousreply 158May 26, 2024 11:53 PM

Not only is this one of my favorite songs but it also is what led me to read Jack Kerouac and the other beat poets.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159May 26, 2024 11:56 PM

I was just looking through my digital film purchases on Apple and realized I have the digital copy too. I don’t remember buying that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160May 27, 2024 12:10 AM

Natalie sounds like she picked the book up that day. Her book report doesn’t make it past the blurbs!

by Anonymousreply 161May 27, 2024 12:13 AM

Terrific book but the only one by him I’ve read.

by Anonymousreply 162May 28, 2024 12:37 AM

Thanks be to Muriel for putting down another of Poo Shoes’ alts.

by Anonymousreply 163May 28, 2024 11:52 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!