Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

California copper thieves are cutting up EV charging stations

Footage has revealed how thieves in California are stealing copper-filled cables from Tesla charging stations.

Viral video shared on TikTok by Joshua Beckler shows the aftermath of a recent theft at a Tesla Supercharger station in Vallejo, California.

The nine stations are seen without any of the cables attached to them as Beckler shows the core of the heavy duty cable, which is clearly rich in copper, whose value has soared in recent years.

The incident happened sometime over the weekend before it was reported to Vallejo police on Sunday morning.

Current scrap prices for copper have it averaging at $3 per pound, with Forbes reporting that the metal is 'a catalyst for a new era of global economic growth'.

Beckler who first spotted the theft told NBC: 'It most likely happened in the night, and we [him and his wife] found it early morning.

'I went to go to the gym with the wife. I went to park the Tesla to charge it while we were inside and I found that the majority of the Tesla cables had been cut right before we walked in.

'They left five charging stations. I’m pretty sure after they racked up, I don’t know what the quantity was, but almost 20 cables with the nozzles.

'Those are extremely heavy, so I’m imagining that’s all they could haul at one given time.'

While John Brown also told the outlet: 'I think this is the second time, or third that these have been cut, so they need to put some gates up or something. I don’t know what they can do, but this is pretty inconvenient.'

------------------

First the copper for the bridge electric light and now Pete's chargers

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 16, 2024 8:20 AM

Typical.

by Anonymousreply 1May 15, 2024 3:34 PM

Democrat run state

by Anonymousreply 2May 15, 2024 3:35 PM

Drug addicts steal copper all the time to pay for drugs. I was involved in a sting operation at a facility in FLORIDA, r2, which is A REPUBLICAN fail state. Turns out a well respected plant manager was a heroin addict and was working late to steal copper

by Anonymousreply 3May 15, 2024 3:41 PM

Some gas satins may be skeevy but at least people work there and will call police if someone if someone tried to vandalize gas pumps.

They will also call police if someone tried to attack you while your fill up your car.

But there’s nobody at a Tesla charging station who will call police for you or try to help you if you’re attacked at 3 am on a road trip. And it takes longer to charge than it takes to pump gas. You’re a sitting duck.

Plus there’s no bathroom or coffee.

Brilliant idea. Let’s give people a scary, lonely place to sit all by themselves without a safe place to piss or grab a drink to help stay awake.

by Anonymousreply 4May 15, 2024 6:02 PM

[quote] gas satins

Oh dear, myself.

by Anonymousreply 5May 15, 2024 6:04 PM

Do you *ever* post anything intelligent, r2? Your posting history shows no evidence of it.

by Anonymousreply 6May 15, 2024 6:08 PM

[quote]Beckler who first spotted the theft told NBC: 'It most likely happened in the night, and we [bold][him and his wife][/bold] found it early morning.

*deep sigh*

by Anonymousreply 7May 15, 2024 6:09 PM

Trolls be trollin, R5

by Anonymousreply 8May 15, 2024 6:16 PM

“Him found it early morning.”

by Anonymousreply 9May 15, 2024 6:55 PM

Lindsay Graham has an entire closet FULL of “gas satins”.

by Anonymousreply 10May 15, 2024 7:37 PM

They don't have security cameras at those places?

by Anonymousreply 11May 15, 2024 7:40 PM

An old man and his dog were killed crossing the street by a motorist who couldn’t see them because the copper had been stolen from the nearby streetlights.

Lots of dark streets due to disabled lights from copper theft.

When they finally catch the thieves, they barely get punished.

We need to start packing prisons.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12May 15, 2024 9:51 PM

Sometimes there is a happy ending

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 16, 2024 8:20 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!