Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Simpsons Actor Harry Shearer Hears Folk Say The Show Has Become Woke After He Stopped Voicing Dr. Hibbert

Harry Shearer voices many characters on The Simpsons and was recently replaced as the voice of Dr. Hibbert.

In 2020, producers decided to have no longer white actors voice characters of color, a decision which also made Hank Azaria retire from voicing Apu Nahasapeemapetilon.

Shearer recently reflected on the change and who inspired Dr. Hibbert’s voice.

“Folk say the show has become woke in recent years and one of my characters has been affected,” Shearer said on The Times of London. “I voiced the Black physician, Dr. Hibbert, who I based on Bill Cosby. Back then he was known as the ‘whitest Black man on television.’ Then, a couple of years ago, I received an email saying they’d employed a Black actor, who then copied my voice. The result is a Black man imitating a white man imitating the whitest Black man on TV.”

Kevin Michael Richardson took over the role of Dr. Hibbert in 2021. Shearer still voices Ned Flanders, Reverend Lovejoy, Principal Skinner, Mr. Burns, Waylon Smithers, Rainier Wolfcastle, and Kent Brockman, among many more.

Shearer also said he “wasn’t sure about joining The Simpsons in 1989,” as “voice actors are usually given a script after the animation is completed.”

“I took the job because it was the other way around,” he added. “I play more than 20 characters but the evil nuclear power plant owner, Mr. Burns, is a favorite. I styled his voice on Ronald Reagan.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 16, 2024 12:59 AM

In April 2021, Hank Azaria apologized to every Indian for voicing Apu.

All 1.4 billion of them

by Anonymousreply 1May 15, 2024 11:41 AM

Go count your money, Harry.

by Anonymousreply 2May 15, 2024 11:45 AM

The Simpsons went woke in 2021? More like 2011. I'm astonished this thing is still on the air. It's the SNL of primetime.

by Anonymousreply 3May 15, 2024 11:57 AM

Doesn’t he voice a gay character despite not being gay?

by Anonymousreply 4May 15, 2024 11:59 AM

And more to that point, shouldn't they have yellow people voicing most of the characters on the show? And children voicing Bart, Lisa and Milhouse?

by Anonymousreply 5May 15, 2024 12:01 PM

Madness! Shear madness!

by Anonymousreply 6May 16, 2024 12:59 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!