Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

“IF” box office predictions

It’s the must-see summer movie for everyone in the family from toddler Timmy to granny Joyce. America’s favorite son John Krasinski continues to flex his “auteur” biceps with this delightful original film that is going to “The Princess Bride” for the children of today.

Plus, it’s stars that likeable, wisecracker Ryan Reynolds who always makes everyone LOL with his witty tweets and adorable memes.

A franchise is born!

Opening weekend: $50million US box office: $550 million Worldwide: $1 billion

by Anonymousreply 64May 19, 2024 8:56 PM

Two threads below yours, IF that much, mein Fuhrer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1May 15, 2024 2:29 AM

Redundant...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2May 15, 2024 2:31 AM

Ryan Reynolds is an overrated schmuck.

by Anonymousreply 3May 15, 2024 2:33 AM

No one at work and none of my friends are talking about this movie

Unless it’s universally praised by the critics, I doubt that I’ll even watching it when it’s streams for free, despite liking Ryan. The entire premise is meh.

by Anonymousreply 4May 15, 2024 3:13 AM

Why should I care if a movie grosses 500 million or 5 million? I love movies and I can't think of a more boring fixation than how much money a movie makes for a studio.

by Anonymousreply 5May 15, 2024 3:18 AM

Flop.

by Anonymousreply 6May 15, 2024 3:19 AM

Well it is a business r5

by Anonymousreply 7May 15, 2024 3:21 AM

Do you have the slightest bit of discrimination in your film viewing choice r5, or will just watch crap like Godzilla X Kong and think it’s equal to Past Lives or Aftersun ?

by Anonymousreply 8May 15, 2024 3:24 AM

Didn’t you predict the Fall Guy would make $1 billion? Time to check your crystal balls.

by Anonymousreply 9May 15, 2024 3:27 AM

Why is it when stars start having brats they have to produce a parade of heartworming kiddie films? You'd think they'd want to get away from the cartoony shit playing in their homes 24/7.

by Anonymousreply 10May 15, 2024 3:29 AM

This is the only "If" I recognize.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11May 15, 2024 3:29 AM

Why would you think that after reading my comment, r8? I don't think financial success means that a movie is good or interesting. Not sure why that's a controversial take.

by Anonymousreply 12May 15, 2024 3:38 AM

Floppity flop flop.

Too bad it probably won't do much to end Reynolds's and Krasinski's (or anyone else doing the voices) respective careers.

by Anonymousreply 13May 15, 2024 3:39 AM

She doesn’t look starstruck at all (look at Emily trying to blunt her way into the camera and conversation).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14May 15, 2024 3:40 AM

Everything is a business, r7. We can talk about how much revenue Applebee's generates compared to a family-run business but that doesn't mean I want to eat there. Why should I care if some bullshit movie makes a lot of money for the stakeholders?

by Anonymousreply 15May 15, 2024 3:41 AM

R15, maybe you should start a Criterion collection review Reddit? Box office makes or breaks stars in Hollywood. We’re here to see them rise and *certainly* watch them fall. If box office it too “low” for you, pick a “high” thread that better suits you.

by Anonymousreply 16May 15, 2024 3:45 AM

This is the only If I recognize.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17May 15, 2024 3:51 AM

I liked Aftersun, but Past Lives? Godzilla X Kong was better than that bore.

by Anonymousreply 18May 15, 2024 3:55 AM

Another flop in the Krasinski/Blunt household

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19May 15, 2024 1:06 PM

53% on RT and going down

by Anonymousreply 20May 15, 2024 3:37 PM

Absolutely terrible title

[bold]IF

No one can remember it. And I have not seen one compelling image from the promotional materials.

I predict a flop

by Anonymousreply 21May 15, 2024 3:49 PM

Imaginary Fuckbuddy

by Anonymousreply 22May 15, 2024 4:54 PM

Ryan Reynolds has a punchable face and used ungainly tactics to climb the ladder. He dated Alanis Morissette at the height of her popularity. 🙄

by Anonymousreply 23May 16, 2024 10:25 PM

I liked the poem.

by Anonymousreply 24May 16, 2024 10:58 PM

This was such an obvious branding failure I’m shocked it managed to get released with its title.. You don’t title a movie “if” just like you don’t title a movie “the” or “or.”

This Andrew Niccol movie was greenlit as “Now” but it got changed to “In Time.” You just cannot do something as vague as this and expect traction. “It” only got away with it because it was based on a Stephen King bestseller.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25May 16, 2024 11:10 PM

Hoping for $40M but will probably be a flop like The Fall Guy and Challengers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 16, 2024 11:22 PM

Krasinski and Blunt are the biggest phony ass kissing, social climbing assholes in Hollywood. They call fellow ass kisser Ryan Reynolds “Krasinski’s pal”. Let’s see if there is any goodwill between them after this DUMB movie flops.

IF is getting terrible reviews. He’s clearly not an auteur.

I can’t wait to see this shit film get clobbered by Garfield next week.

by Anonymousreply 27May 16, 2024 11:34 PM

Andrew Garfield, R27?

by Anonymousreply 28May 16, 2024 11:36 PM

Hated it!

by Anonymousreply 29May 16, 2024 11:40 PM

Ryan Reynolds has trained audiences to stay home for these movies unless it’s Deadpool. He already made a family movie with a similar tone for Netflix called The Adam Project. He’s made four films for Netflix.

The above poster is right, Garfield is going to kick its ass. Even if it turns out to be shit, like Super Mario Bros. It’s cheerful, the IP is ridiculously low-concept, and everyone knows what it is the moment you say its name.

Paramount was so desperate to keep Krasinski on the lot they let him make anything he wanted. This would not have been greenlit at any other studio.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30May 16, 2024 11:46 PM

R27 r28

by Anonymousreply 31May 16, 2024 11:50 PM

R30

by Anonymousreply 32May 16, 2024 11:50 PM

If…. this just could be “The Princess Bride”! 🥺

by Anonymousreply 33May 17, 2024 12:31 AM

R33

by Anonymousreply 34May 17, 2024 12:33 AM

Why do you keep doing that, r34?🫒🍸

by Anonymousreply 35May 17, 2024 12:46 AM

I’m only seeing it if Krasinski & Reynolds tongue each other’s holes.

by Anonymousreply 36May 17, 2024 2:07 AM

This is funny

There is an advance preview of Garfield Sunday

Took a typical mid-American market, Dallas Ft Worth

Many of the theaters are almost fully booked

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37May 17, 2024 5:04 PM

Flop r35 r37

by Anonymousreply 38May 17, 2024 5:18 PM

Krasinski wants this to be a cherished classic, like E.T.??

Sorry, John! It’s less than 50% on RT. 💩

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39May 17, 2024 9:16 PM

Typically millennial, wants to remake Spielberg.

Krasinski should have only made this if it was done for under $20 million and used simple practical effects. It would be postmodern. Or turned the concept into a horror me à la The Babadook (fun fact: ET began as a horror movie. The horror movie concept was incorporated into the Spielberg-produced Gremlins.)

by Anonymousreply 40May 17, 2024 9:29 PM

r39 r40

by Anonymousreply 41May 17, 2024 9:57 PM

$31 million opening, exactly like Fall Guy, $10 million lower than projected

And advance screenings of Garfield will eat away its audience tomorrow

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42May 18, 2024 2:51 PM

Flop r42

by Anonymousreply 43May 18, 2024 3:01 PM

Why do people take such pleasure in someone else's failure? Why do they actively root for something to fail?

by Anonymousreply 44May 18, 2024 3:24 PM

The only hit has been Apes? Challengers, Fall Guy, IF have all been flops.

by Anonymousreply 45May 18, 2024 3:28 PM

I think Garfield will over perform. I believe it’s opening at same time with the new Mad Max? I’m guessing the fat cat will beat it.

by Anonymousreply 46May 18, 2024 3:42 PM

Chalamet is the box office king with Wonka and Dune

by Anonymousreply 47May 18, 2024 3:44 PM

Don’t you mean Timmy was lucky to appear in two box office hits?

by Anonymousreply 48May 18, 2024 3:50 PM

Chalamet, Powell, Sweeney, Zendaya, Butler, and possibly Taylor-Joy are the new stars Hollywood should be investing in. Gen Z is now critical at the box office. Other than that, if you ain’t DiCaprio, Pitt, Bullock, Tatum, Robbie, Stone, Lawrence, Cruise, or Roberts, you don’t matter anymore in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 49May 18, 2024 3:53 PM

Shidney Shweeney

by Anonymousreply 50May 18, 2024 3:55 PM

Most of those are not box office. Ryan Reynolds, The Rock or Kevin Hart are more popular than that group.

by Anonymousreply 51May 18, 2024 3:56 PM

I always celebrate when Ryan Reynolds flops.

by Anonymousreply 52May 18, 2024 3:58 PM

Outside of Deadpool and Free Guy, name a Ryan Reynolds hit movie.

***Sandra Bullock made The Proposal a hit!

by Anonymousreply 53May 18, 2024 4:02 PM

Garfield will do very well because they made a very prudent decision when animating the movie

They made it look exactly like an Illumination film (Minions, Grinch, Mario). It is virtually indistinguishable.

People already associate Illumination with a kind of upbeat cheerful product, not too deep like Pixar or thematically complex as Walt Disney Animation. Bright, colorful and cheerful. The equivalent of a Chuck Jones Warner Bros. cartoon. Bugs Bunny in drag.

The Mario Bros. movie was terrible but people loved it because it was bright and colorful, nothing to think about. A big sugary drink from Starbucks that you order at the start of summer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54May 18, 2024 4:04 PM

R51, Kevin Hart😆😆

The Rock is no longer a box office titan. Jungle Cruise and Black Adam flopped. Plus, he’s unprofessional.

by Anonymousreply 55May 18, 2024 4:04 PM

My takeaway is that Hollywood is way out of touch with reality. Spending millions of dollars on movies that no one wants to see.

by Anonymousreply 56May 18, 2024 4:22 PM

Yes it is absolutely ludicrous that this cost $110 million, not including P&A.

This is what’s wrong with Hollywood, they don’t want to make movies for the sake of telling a story, they make it because someone they deem to be “a name” shows interest in making it. Within Hollywood, John Krasinski directing a movie means a huge deal to many people. Outside of Hollywood, it means nothing.

“Here’s a new John Krasinski movie.” What does this mean? To the public, it only means something if they actually see John Krasinski on the poster or in the trailers. “But he directed it!” Soooo…. 90% of the public only has a vague idea of what a director does. They usually associate director with a degree of quality. A Steven Spielberg film, a Quentin Tarantino film, a Jordan Peele film. John Krasinski has not reached this point yet. Nobody knows what kind of quality to expect from him. He should not have been granted a budget this big when he is still unproven as a “guarantee of quality.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57May 18, 2024 4:40 PM

I think it will do well in its first week but then fall off a cliff because it’s an unrelenting pile of shit.

by Anonymousreply 58May 18, 2024 4:41 PM

R40, Krasinski isn't a millenial. He's late Gen X

by Anonymousreply 59May 18, 2024 5:34 PM

IF rises to $34 million. Kids and adults love poorly reviewed film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60May 19, 2024 2:08 PM

I’m not sure why this isn’t getting more traction

But apparently Krasinski wholesale ripped off the much loved Cartoon Network show “Foster’s Home for Imaginary Friends,” which Krasinski would probably be familiar with from having two young children. He copied it down to the name of the main Imaginary Friend, who is called “Blue” (the big purple monster). The character from Fosters in a blue blob named “Bloo.” The fact that the purple character is name “Blue” should clearly point to signs of outright intellectual property theft.

Krasinski could have probably gotten the rights to adapt Fosters which is almost 20 years old now; the fact that he just ripped it off shows a really despicable level of celebrity shamelessness.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61May 19, 2024 2:50 PM

How many vases in the Blunts Krasinski’s household have been shattered this morning?

by Anonymousreply 62May 19, 2024 4:35 PM

Emily failed with The Fall Guy.

John failed with IF.

Why aren’t they writing about this?

by Anonymousreply 63May 19, 2024 4:41 PM

I just got back from a showing of IF. The theater was about 2/3 full, mostly families. It's a sweet movie. Is it the BEST MOVIE EVER!!?! No, but I didn't go in expecting it to be. It was good for what it was. But I have watched way worse movies than this.

by Anonymousreply 64May 19, 2024 8:56 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!