Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Jimmy Carter is 'coming to the end,' his grandson says

I really thought he would have died within a month of Rosalynn.

Not our best president, but by far our best ex-president.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236July 26, 2024 9:17 AM

He was a great president. Smart, fair, kind, and caring. The Repukes were already into their dastardly deeds to smear Democrast and cheat. There is not fair play and respect with them.

When America was greater than it is now, say like after WWII, Carter would have been revered for his integrity and decency.

by Anonymousreply 1May 15, 2024 1:07 AM

I'm tearing up a bit thinking about the passing of a decent, honorable man. I'll be a basket case when the funeral is on tv.

by Anonymousreply 2May 15, 2024 1:11 AM

May he pass painlessly and without earthly burdens weighing on his heart and mind.

by Anonymousreply 3May 15, 2024 1:19 AM

I'm not a religious person, but former President Carter is someone who lived his faith. I respect that.

by Anonymousreply 4May 15, 2024 1:24 AM

Good lord, he’s milking the shit out of this. He’s been at death’s door longer than Valerie Harper. Total drama queen.

by Anonymousreply 5May 15, 2024 1:27 AM

[QUOTE]He was a great president. Smart, fair, kind, and caring.

He was all of the qualities you mention, however, "great president" is not among them.

by Anonymousreply 6May 15, 2024 1:34 AM

He needs to speak out against Trump

by Anonymousreply 7May 15, 2024 2:17 AM

In between his moments of sleep. lucidity and grief, do you mean, r7?

by Anonymousreply 8May 15, 2024 2:20 AM

May he be greeted with open and warm arms at the Pearly Gates.

by Anonymousreply 9May 15, 2024 2:20 AM

He was a great president. No shots fired by the US. A lasting peace in the middle east. Deregulated a ton of industries that needed to be. Smart as hell, hired the right guy Paul Volcker to fix the economy. Volcker warned him that his method would make it worse before it better and Reagan got the credit. And kept Volcker. He championed the environment, mental health, social justice, solar power and peace and told the trilateral commission to fuck off. Of course we're taught he was a bad president.

by Anonymousreply 10May 15, 2024 2:26 AM

This again? He ain’t gonna die

by Anonymousreply 11May 15, 2024 2:27 AM

The real Walking Dead.

by Anonymousreply 12May 15, 2024 2:38 AM

I respect his stubbornness. Should he drop dead now, it would be a bullshit sub plot. If he dies AFTER a verdict is handed down it’s going to be an extravaganza!

by Anonymousreply 13May 15, 2024 2:50 AM

Carter is too good of a person to be a politician, someone who actually cares about people who have less than himself, not dishonest & slick enough.

by Anonymousreply 14May 15, 2024 2:57 AM

Oh for God's sake, just DIE!

by Anonymousreply 15May 15, 2024 3:04 AM

He allowed the Ayatollahs to overthrow the Shahs government in Iran and foment unrest in the Middle East that troubles us to this day. He did literally nothing save some unsuccessful negotiations for six months after they took our diplomats hostages save a pathetic rescue attempt . He was a very decent but weak and naive man.

by Anonymousreply 16May 15, 2024 3:19 AM

I grieve for his son Jay-Z Carter and wife Beyonce Knowles-Carter. At least he got to see her dreams of being a famous country singer come true.

by Anonymousreply 17May 15, 2024 3:32 AM

R16, there is a theory that was set up by the CIA through George H. W. Bush (who was once its Director) in order to discredit Carter and help Reagan.

by Anonymousreply 18May 15, 2024 7:35 AM

Once and for all, HE WAS NOT A GREAT PRESIDENT.

by Anonymousreply 19May 15, 2024 8:11 AM

R19 ITA, he has had a long life. Let go and move on.

by Anonymousreply 20May 15, 2024 8:17 AM

I am hoping that he makes it to 100 this October.

by Anonymousreply 21May 15, 2024 8:18 AM

Yes shortly before the election was the catastrophic attempted saving of the hostages. It was a nightmare and Muslim activists on US campuses were pulling the same shit they are pulling today. Fucking Muslims.

by Anonymousreply 22May 15, 2024 8:42 AM

R18 a theory? A THEORY??? Wily diabolical Bush illegally acted as an official government agent to stop the release of the hostages until Reagan took the oath of office. At that exact moment when Reagan raised his hand , the hostages were released.

Iran-Contra

by Anonymousreply 23May 15, 2024 9:31 AM

Behind the scenes he was a micromanaging toxic boss with a temper and a corrupt cabinet.

by Anonymousreply 24May 15, 2024 9:33 AM

Any adult in the late 1970s would agree that he was an incompetent President.

by Anonymousreply 25May 15, 2024 9:46 AM

A good person but a mediocre president. Sorry not sorry.

by Anonymousreply 26May 15, 2024 10:39 AM

it's not a theory. The Reagan campaign sent Connally to the MIddle East and the release of the hostages was deliberately delayed until inauguration day when Reagan was sworn in. I remember watching it on TV as a teenager. In our house we loved Jimmy Carter. He was not weak. He was ahead of his time. Way ahead. Russia was already insinuating itself into the Republican camp back then. Carter stood up to Russia and Russia wasfucking around in the Middle East. And if you want to look at failure, look at the CIA . They operated almost independently as far as what was going on in the MIddle East. Nixon and Kissinger completely underestimated what was going on in Iran. They were so far up the Shah's ass they did not give sufficient attention to the Ayatollah in Paris orchestrating the demonstrations and turmoil in Iran. And then there was Russia always meddling and creating chaos in the MIddle East. They hated Carter. Carter acted out of compassion, and was persuaded to help the dying Shah get medical attention by Kissinger, knowing it would be messy. But the CIA failure to understand what was happening on the ground is the biggest underreported failure of that era. It would begreat if you went back and read some books.

by Anonymousreply 27May 15, 2024 11:11 AM

Please, God, take me out before I get this old.

by Anonymousreply 28May 15, 2024 11:12 AM

Agree, R28. I never want to be so incapacitated . I have seen people in their 90's called "super agers" who still have mobility and still have their brain function. But Mr. Jimmy is 99. I would love to see him get to his 100th birthday, in October, but it sounded like his grandson Jason was preparing us for something that may happen much sooner.

by Anonymousreply 29May 15, 2024 11:18 AM

He was a LEGITIMATE Governor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30May 15, 2024 11:29 AM

For the love of Christ, die already!

by Anonymousreply 31May 15, 2024 11:31 AM

Can the family just shut up until he’s really dead? This near death Announcements are getting tiresome.

by Anonymousreply 32May 15, 2024 12:03 PM

Never forget, a teetotaler loosened up regulations for breweries so that craft brewing could become common and the US is no longer beholden to the anheuser -busch clan

by Anonymousreply 33May 15, 2024 12:18 PM

[quote]I am hoping that he makes it to 100 this October.

For what fucking point? To make you feel good? To make him feel good? To reinforce the ridiculousness of birthdays as milestones?

He's been in hospice care since February [bold]2023[/bold]. I don't harbor any ill wishes for him, not any wish to hasten his death, but why think it's some kind of great event if a barely alive man lurches past his 100th birthday?

by Anonymousreply 34May 15, 2024 12:19 PM

R27 let the sunlight 🌞 of Truth expose the darkness

by Anonymousreply 35May 15, 2024 12:30 PM

Do he have an Only Fans where he fucks 18 year old twinks?

by Anonymousreply 36May 15, 2024 12:40 PM

He needs to call for Biden to drop out of the race.

by Anonymousreply 37May 15, 2024 12:59 PM

My Jimmy is gonna leave us closer to his birthday in the Fall so he can influence the Georgia PResidential election. He hated Trump. Hated him. Called him an illegitimate PResident and insisted Russia helped steal the election in 2016. I loved him for saying that live on TV. God bless you Mr. Jimmy.

by Anonymousreply 38May 15, 2024 1:05 PM

Hopefully, Peanut Man will not have a belabored DC funeral that will fuck up coverage of the POTUS campaigns.

by Anonymousreply 39May 15, 2024 1:16 PM

A true American patriot.

by Anonymousreply 40May 15, 2024 1:20 PM

I dread Carter's funeral, since we'll see Trump feigning respect and everyone else working at being polite to him.

by Anonymousreply 41May 15, 2024 1:22 PM

R41, I doubt if Trump will be invited or crash it the way Ivanka and Jared crashed John McCain’s.

by Anonymousreply 42May 15, 2024 1:34 PM

R31: Yes Biden drop dead already!

by Anonymousreply 43May 15, 2024 2:14 PM

Lazy, entitled Americans did not respond well to being told by Carter that they should put on a sweater and turn down the thermostat.

So we voted in Ronny Raygun with all of the excess of the 80s. Of course, one of the first things Ronny did was rip those solar panels off the White House roof.

by Anonymousreply 44May 15, 2024 2:17 PM

A lot of people were pissed at him for making the US boycott the 1980 Olympics. I wonder if that helped him lose the election that year.

by Anonymousreply 45May 15, 2024 2:26 PM

R45 & R44, people were probably angrier at 1) the incredibly high mortgage rates and 2) the 55 mph speed limit than anything else.

by Anonymousreply 46May 15, 2024 2:32 PM

r19, re-read r10, very slowly, if need be.

by Anonymousreply 47May 15, 2024 2:35 PM

I was hoping he'd make it to 100, but his centennial birthday is not until October.

by Anonymousreply 48May 15, 2024 2:52 PM

What a better world it would be if we didn’t end up with the dreadful Reagan.

by Anonymousreply 49May 15, 2024 2:53 PM

R47, As a President, he was an an embarrassment.

by Anonymousreply 50May 15, 2024 3:32 PM

^Pardon my stutter.

by Anonymousreply 51May 15, 2024 3:35 PM

I wonder how many of you saying Carter was a great president were ALIVE when he was.

by Anonymousreply 52May 15, 2024 3:55 PM

R46, also he signed away the Panama canal.

by Anonymousreply 53May 15, 2024 4:03 PM

Me R52, I also read.

by Anonymousreply 54May 15, 2024 4:07 PM

Would be hilarious if Carter’s funeral was a day Trump had to be in court.

by Anonymousreply 55May 15, 2024 4:16 PM

R55, Hopefully, it will all occur in Plains and not DC.

by Anonymousreply 56May 15, 2024 4:22 PM

He was before by time, but I think he was the last President that actually cared about people to a significant degree and let that influence his decision making. Even the best of the rest that have come after have been extremely guided by political calculations.

by Anonymousreply 57May 15, 2024 4:27 PM

r50, as a rebuttal with persuasive, specific examples, your post is an embarrassment.

by Anonymousreply 58May 15, 2024 5:16 PM

R52? Apparently [italic]you[/italic] weren't. because if you were, you'd know it's spelled [bold]O'Neill[/bold].

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59May 15, 2024 5:22 PM

R25

Yes I was alive in the 1970s and we elected giants, except for Carter, back then for president

Nixon and Ford will be long remembered as great presidents of the 1970s.

by Anonymousreply 60May 15, 2024 5:54 PM

R60. Huh? Both sucked!!!! Nixon opened China but that’s about it. And Ford did jack shit.

by Anonymousreply 61May 15, 2024 5:58 PM

R61

No shit? :-)

by Anonymousreply 62May 15, 2024 6:04 PM

OP, Trump disagrees with your assessment of who is the best ex-president. Has Carter been indicted for 91 crimes? Huh? I didn't think so.

by Anonymousreply 63May 15, 2024 6:07 PM

Oh were you being sarcastic 62? Hah apologies if so. Sometimes I can’t see sarcasm well.

by Anonymousreply 64May 15, 2024 6:14 PM

R58, Carter was weak, inefficient, made poor choices in selecting Cabinet members, had no understanding how Washington politics functioned and was looked upon by international leaders as incompetent.

Telling Americans to turn down their thermostats and put on a sweater was not leadership during an oil crisis that he could not handle.

by Anonymousreply 65May 15, 2024 6:20 PM

R60, Really? NIXON and Ford?? Go Fuck Yourself!

by Anonymousreply 66May 15, 2024 6:26 PM

He is a good man and I hope his afterlife is one of joy and peace.

by Anonymousreply 67May 15, 2024 6:33 PM

R64 I see that unlike R66 you are both smart and have a sense of humor. So sad about R66 who seems to be lacking in both.

by Anonymousreply 68May 15, 2024 6:41 PM

The first time I ever voted it was for Jimmy Carter and I've always been proud of that vote. He's a good man and his focus on Human Rights was outstanding. The shit Reagan/Bush pulled later on was disgraceful and led straight to Iran-Contra, for which Reagan should have been impeached and removed from office. TPTB knew it but decided it was too close to Nixon/Watergate and the country wouldn't be able to deal with it so they let him stay on.

The Carter Center is a great legacy. He's held himself with more dignity and grace than most of our former presidents. I hope President Carter leaves instructions that Dump is not to be invited to his funeral. I would hate to see him there.

by Anonymousreply 69May 15, 2024 6:42 PM

^ I think because of his kindness, Trump will be allowed to attend....however, I hope that he doesn't as that will be very telling...

by Anonymousreply 70May 15, 2024 6:56 PM

+1 on the Carter Center they do a lot of really great work,

Carter will be remembered, honored, and beloved on the Yard for the rest of time, He was their first one..

by Anonymousreply 71May 15, 2024 6:58 PM

My MIL is 99 and shows no sign of getting near the bucket, let alone kicking it. She has cancer that we’re not treating (we prefer not to be kicked in the nuts by her good food while trying to wrestle her into an ambulette), but it’s a slow growing cancer, so she’s got years to go.

by Anonymousreply 72May 15, 2024 7:09 PM

I was alive. I worked on Carter's campaign. I still think of him as "my" President. I am very proud of the fact I helped get him elected. Read R10 and R27.

by Anonymousreply 73May 15, 2024 10:08 PM

He will kick the bucket on Friday, so all the media attention will be on him and not Trump attending Barron's graduation. That will rip Trump to shreds. Or he will die on May 19, the 30th anniversary of Jackie O's death.

by Anonymousreply 74May 15, 2024 10:18 PM

Shame, I was wanting him to make 100. He does seem to have been unusually decent for someone who made it to the top of US politics. Weren't he and his wife the only two votes (or two of a very small number) in favour of integrating their church in Georgia? I'd say it was a tragedy for the US gay community that he lost to Reagan in 1980.

by Anonymousreply 75May 15, 2024 10:28 PM

I wonder if his last words will be "Bonnie Franklin was damn good actress" ?

by Anonymousreply 76May 15, 2024 10:40 PM

R73 = LOSER

by Anonymousreply 77May 15, 2024 10:52 PM

He was not a great president. Under his watch America experienced an Energy Crisis, the fall of the shah, the Iranian Revolution, the coming to power of Khomeini, the Hostage Crisis, a spectacular and deadly rescue attempt, uneven economic growth, and high inflation.

He was a disaster as POTUS.

Carter was a great former president.

One achievement of his presidency was a change in policy towards Latin America, which led to the fall of many dictatorships there.

by Anonymousreply 78May 15, 2024 10:54 PM

[Quote] Under his watch America experienced.... the fall of the shah, the Iranian Revolution, the coming to power of Khomeini

The reasons nations undergo these kinds of revolutions are many and very complex. It might be better if Americans didn't view it as their government's place or responsibility to try and control the affairs of other nations. Who knows, perhaps if the US hadn't engineered the overthrow of Mosaddegh in 1953 and replaced him with the fabulously corrupt Shah, it wouldn't have had the Ayatollah to deal with twenty years later.....

by Anonymousreply 79May 15, 2024 11:00 PM

R79, you are right. But we cannot go back and change the past. We can only learn from it. Sadly, we haven't in many ways. Look at American support of Saudi Arabia. It will blow up one day.

Still, all that happened in Iran in 1979 happened under Carter's watch.

He was elected because of Nixon and lost because of Iran, the Energy Crisis, and the general state of the economy

by Anonymousreply 80May 15, 2024 11:52 PM

Carter was reluctant but was persuaded by Henry Kissinger to take the Shah in for medical treatment, and the whole fucking mess came to a head with Nixon and Kissinger. Please keep in mind the energy crisis was a manipulation by the Oil cartel, in the MIddle East and the invisible hand of Russia.

by Anonymousreply 81May 16, 2024 12:33 AM

Trump attended Bush’s funeral, so I suspect he’ll be in attendance for Carter’s.

by Anonymousreply 82May 16, 2024 12:48 AM

Trump was “president” back then r82. He won’t attend. It will be akin to attending the inauguration.

by Anonymousreply 83May 16, 2024 12:57 AM

Nah, R83. It’s not akin to going to the inauguration of the man who “stole” the presidency from him.

by Anonymousreply 84May 16, 2024 1:00 AM

Jimmy Carter made no secret of his disgust with Trump. Jimmy wouldn't want him there. I suspect Jimmy Carter will have a funeral similar to Rosalynn's but with a stop in Washington D.C. They will have him lie in state for maybe a day and a night, then fly him back to Atlanta where he will lie in state at either the state Capital building or the Carter Center, then the funeral at his church. It's been 44 years since he was POTUS.Al Gore, the Clintons, the Obamas, the Bushes, and representatives from the Johnson and Nixon families, maybe a Reagan, but definite the Fords will be t here. No Trump. Jimmy said he was illegitimate. He said it outloud.

by Anonymousreply 85May 16, 2024 1:11 AM

R80 Out of interest, what do you think Carter should have done differently re: Iran?

by Anonymousreply 86May 16, 2024 1:14 AM

Bush had zero love for Trump, either, especially after how he treated his boys, yet insisted that he be not excluded from his funeral. Melania wasn’t excluded from Rosalynn’s funeral & Donald won’t be excluded from Jimmy’s.

by Anonymousreply 87May 16, 2024 1:15 AM

R86 Supposedly the rescue mission to get the hostages had some internal sabotage with the helicopters. Later the Reagan campaign secretly made an agreement with the Iranians to not release the hostages to help Carter lose and to wait until Reagan was in office. Yet another example of Republicans treasonous actions.

by Anonymousreply 88May 16, 2024 1:20 AM

He killed enough Guinea worms for any one man, he built many a house, but is it enough to make up for wrecking Afghanistan and the incredible misery he and that piece of shit fucker Zbig inflicted on an innocent nation just to get back at the Soviets and play their childish geopolitical games

by Anonymousreply 89May 16, 2024 1:21 AM

Wrecking Afghanistan? WTF, Boris! He ran Russia's ass out of Afghanistan and they never forgave us for it. They wanted the gas and mineral deposits. Russia INVADED Afghanistan. 'kay? We helped arm them and push the Russians out.

by Anonymousreply 90May 16, 2024 1:32 AM

R88 yes indeed- hence I'm asking if there was anything, out of the things he could control, which Carter should have done differently?

by Anonymousreply 91May 16, 2024 1:40 AM

R87, you misunderstand. Dump won’t be excluded but he won’t go. He’s not top dog like he was at the Bush funeral. He’ll be shoved to the side. R84 what I meant was it was akin to going to the inauguration as a loser and second banana. He won’t be prez, he will be among people who think he’s a piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 92May 16, 2024 2:05 AM

I doubt it, at least on Iran. The Shah and US involvement in Iran was not of his making. He tried to mitigate and resolve the situation, but he was seen as an ineffective leader because the rescue failed. Had the rescue been successful, he most likely would have been reelected in 1980.

by Anonymousreply 93May 16, 2024 2:07 AM

The man has been dying for the last 20 years. He will outlive us all. Just like my mom.

by Anonymousreply 94May 16, 2024 2:08 AM

I doubt it. Sounds like he's in his last days. It's not likely that he'll live past May.

by Anonymousreply 95May 16, 2024 2:12 AM

[quote]Not our best president, but by far our best ex-president.

What the hell does that mean?

by Anonymousreply 96May 16, 2024 2:15 AM

I’ll take the contrary view. I believe he was a good president, one whose presidency will only look better as time goes one. But, although his lengthy ex-presidency was more ambitious than most, with solid achievements, I think he was a better president than an ex-president.

by Anonymousreply 97May 16, 2024 2:22 AM

The former president's life is peacefully moving towards its close.

by Anonymousreply 98May 16, 2024 2:30 AM

How can we miss you, Jimmy, when you won’t leave?

by Anonymousreply 99May 16, 2024 2:47 AM

He was a fine, good-hearted man. He’s earned his peaceful end. Thank you, sir.

by Anonymousreply 100May 16, 2024 2:48 AM

He understood that holding public office is a stewardship, not an ego trip. I think someone from the Trump family will show up. Because ...Georgia...election campaign. My guess is that Ivanka and Jared will go.

by Anonymousreply 101May 16, 2024 3:20 AM

He was not a good president, but not as horrible as he was made put to be.

by Anonymousreply 102May 16, 2024 3:23 AM

R90 the plan was to turn Afghanistan into Russia's Vietnam.

Nobody gave a shit about the Afghanis, including you, asshole.

by Anonymousreply 103May 16, 2024 3:43 AM

Are you going to repeat all that once he is really, really dead?

by Anonymousreply 104May 16, 2024 10:17 AM

R78

And based on your insight and analysis FDR was also a bad president because under his watch WW2 happened. Far worse than what ever happened in the world under carters watch.

Europe went up in flames. Asia went up in flames. FDR then led the US into the war and then he could not even win it. Truman had to save us.

Now I sound as dumb as you

by Anonymousreply 105May 16, 2024 10:36 AM

[quote]Once and for all, HE WAS NOT A GREAT PRESIDENT.

We heard you the first time, Dee Plorable.

by Anonymousreply 106May 16, 2024 10:42 AM

The Carters refused to serve liquor at White House state dinners and they would end them long before midnight.

Two things Nancy Reagan changed immediately.

by Anonymousreply 107May 16, 2024 11:36 AM

It bears repeating, R106, so I will.

Once and for all, HE WAS NOT A GREAT PRESIDENT.

by Anonymousreply 108May 16, 2024 11:39 AM

R108

Don’t be a silly goose. You don’t NEED CAPS. You also don’t need to keep repeating yourself. But the CAPS may be a bridge too far

by Anonymousreply 109May 16, 2024 11:43 AM

Jimmy Connors was a great democrat president, I'll give him that. Not like that Obama we have today in the White House.

by Anonymousreply 110May 16, 2024 11:55 AM

And you don’t need to “like” your own posts, R109.

by Anonymousreply 111May 16, 2024 12:28 PM

R111

I have never understood this like business. Does it get you a prize at some point? Although I do see that I have 2 and you have 0.

Don’t feel bad just do better

by Anonymousreply 112May 16, 2024 12:46 PM

Ted Knight says it best.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113May 16, 2024 1:38 PM

[quote]Two things Nancy Reagan changed immediately.

Did the other thing involve White House blowjobs?

by Anonymousreply 114May 16, 2024 4:18 PM

Nancy had candy dishes of pills at the California governors mansion

by Anonymousreply 115May 16, 2024 5:20 PM

R114 Nancy Davis was a regular at the White House glory hole. Ronny was busy in the corner counting his jellybeans.

by Anonymousreply 116May 16, 2024 7:49 PM

Nancy would put ROnnie down for his nap so she could have "lunch" in the residence with Frank Sinatra. Frnka loved the idea of America's First Lady on her knees blowing him in the White House.

by Anonymousreply 117May 16, 2024 8:44 PM

R117, Nancy had practice…lots of it.

by Anonymousreply 118May 17, 2024 12:57 AM

Mr. Jimmy, he gonna die soon....how long? ...not long.

by Anonymousreply 119May 17, 2024 12:45 PM

DL where gay men make fun of people that like to give blow jobs

It sounds like it would be the Onion but it’s the DL

by Anonymousreply 120May 17, 2024 12:52 PM

LMAO at r113!

And I write this as having enormous respect for Carter.

by Anonymousreply 121May 17, 2024 1:03 PM

R1 I understand what you are saying, but “smart kind, fair and caring” make for a good man. While good qualities for a president, they do not add up to a great or even good president. For a oresident, or any elected office holder it comes down to hard skills: what do you know, what have you done and what can you do? We have to stop electing people based on their personality. We need the best abd the brightest, but not necessarily the nicest. If Richard Nixon were alive and well today and eligible, I’d vote for him, dirty tricks and all. I wouldn’t shake his hand, but I’d vote for him.

by Anonymousreply 122May 17, 2024 1:09 PM

[quote] If Richard Nixon were alive and well today and eligible, I’d vote for him, dirty tricks and all. I wouldn’t shake his hand, but I’d vote for him.

You don't think Nixon-imposed wage & price controls wreaked great havoc on the economy throughout the '70s?

by Anonymousreply 123May 17, 2024 1:28 PM

[quote]Mr. Jimmy, he gonna die soon....how long? ...not long.

Reporters probably keeps asking if he's dead yet.

by Anonymousreply 124May 17, 2024 1:40 PM

Is there a media death watch outside his house?

by Anonymousreply 125May 17, 2024 1:41 PM

Is there a big difference between Nixon and Trump?

I don’t think Trump is the hater of Jewish people like Nixon was. And I don’t think Trump is the homophobe Nixon was. Although

And VN one found a way to avoid and one found a way to ruin the one really good chance we had for peace or a stand down in VN because he did not want the Dems to get credit so he promised secretly a better deal if he was elected and then left the SVN out to dry when they needed him. Trump never pulled that shit. Trump knew he was not up to that jungle fighting.

Of course there should be no shame aimed at anyone professing their support for the likes of Nixon or Trump as R122 has.

by Anonymousreply 126May 17, 2024 1:49 PM

[quote] I don’t think Trump is the hater of Jewish people like Nixon was. And I don’t think Trump is the homophobe Nixon was.

I'm no Nixon defender, but I don't think this is an apples to apples comparison. The two were from very different generations.

by Anonymousreply 127May 17, 2024 2:09 PM

R126, Richard M. Nixon was a statesman.

by Anonymousreply 128May 17, 2024 2:09 PM

Well Trump is a statesman as well.

Nixon would have never felt confident to have a one on one private conversation , with no staff present for either, with Putin.

Just think of the statesman like shit Trump and Putin were discussing. Nixon would have never attempted to do that.

by Anonymousreply 129May 17, 2024 2:23 PM

How old are you, R129?

by Anonymousreply 130May 17, 2024 2:26 PM

Re: R129, Putin and Trump especially would have used their fluent foreign language skills to discuss global affairs. No need at all for any translators, let alone high-ranking foreign affairs cabinet members.

Just two reliable world-class statesmen, intent on making the world a better safer place. One need only look at how events unfolded subsequently to realise the mutual affinity and productive nature of their summit meeting.

by Anonymousreply 131May 17, 2024 2:36 PM

R131

You might think they were conversing in Russian but they did have one translator. But no staff. Especially no senior staff.

I have no doubt they never discussed the Ukraine

by Anonymousreply 132May 17, 2024 3:22 PM

r108 doesn't understand the concept of supporting a statement with specific, concise, credible examples and sources. Now r108, run back to the children's table and let the adults continue the discussion.

by Anonymousreply 133May 17, 2024 5:29 PM

Back in 1957, someone told R133 that she was witty, and R133 actually believed them.

by Anonymousreply 134May 17, 2024 5:32 PM

Is he dead?

by Anonymousreply 135May 17, 2024 9:40 PM

The year is 2056. Jimmy Carter is not long for this world, says his great-great-grandson...

by Anonymousreply 136May 17, 2024 9:47 PM

He coulda run for president this year and probably won.

by Anonymousreply 137May 17, 2024 9:52 PM

He's outlived Dabney Coleman!

by Anonymousreply 138May 17, 2024 10:43 PM

Let’s just accept that he’s immortal.

by Anonymousreply 139May 22, 2024 3:07 PM

Talk about milking it.

by Anonymousreply 140May 22, 2024 3:16 PM

On October 1st he’ll be 100. Any bets if he’ll make it?

by Anonymousreply 141May 22, 2024 4:00 PM

I hope they do everything they can to help him reach his 100th birthday. If he dies in October it will also be good for the Democratic Ticket. People will be reminded what real PResidents do, not some blowhard fascist clown.

by Anonymousreply 142May 22, 2024 4:15 PM

The words “real President” and Jimmy Carter should never appear in the same sentence.

by Anonymousreply 143May 22, 2024 4:20 PM

Shut the fuck up r143

by Anonymousreply 144May 22, 2024 5:27 PM

Jimmmmmaaaayyyyy!!!!

by Anonymousreply 145May 22, 2024 5:33 PM

R143 I used plural:Presidents: You'll have people present who respected to office and loved their country, however misguided they may have been and even some I disagreed with. Trump never pretended t o understand the PResidency.

by Anonymousreply 146May 22, 2024 5:54 PM

While living to 100 would be nice, his quality of life at this point is terrible. I prefer he goes soon rather than lingering on.

by Anonymousreply 147May 22, 2024 6:28 PM

The longest lifespan of a president was George H W Bush at age 94. Jimmy Carter already has that beat by 5 years.

by Anonymousreply 148May 22, 2024 8:56 PM

This man is going to outlive us all.

by Anonymousreply 149May 22, 2024 8:57 PM

Bear in mind he was diagnosed with brain and liver cancer at 90. He's now nearing 100. It reminds me of Rose Kennedy: she had a stroke when she was 93. If your 93-year-old granny had a stroke, you'd be almost certain it was the end. Instead, she lived another eleven years.

by Anonymousreply 150May 22, 2024 10:14 PM

How many times has he died, so far?

by Anonymousreply 151May 22, 2024 10:16 PM

I think it’s really bad taste for the grandson to be walking around with a shovel

by Anonymousreply 152May 23, 2024 12:21 AM

If you're interested in R143's posting history, you'll find how he hates Carter, loves Nixon (and probably has a tattoo with his name on his back) and roots for Trump. I nailed him the moment he wrote "the Ukraine" as the MAGAts like to say, as if it was a province, more specifically a Russian province, instead of "Ukraine" as you would say for any country. These people just can't hide.

R143 is meth head Roger Stone, basically.

[quote]Any adult in the late 1970s would agree that he was an incompetent President.

[quote]For the love of Christ, die already!

[quote]Hopefully, Peanut Man will not have a belabored DC funeral that will fuck up coverage of the POTUS campaigns.

[quote]R41, I doubt if Trump will be invited or crash it the way Ivanka and Jared crashed John McCain’s.

[quote]R47, As a President, he was an an embarrassment.

[quote]R58, Carter was weak, inefficient, made poor choices in selecting Cabinet members, had no understanding how Washington politics functioned and was looked upon by international leaders as incompetent. Telling Americans to turn down their thermostats and put on a sweater was not leadership during an oil crisis that he could not handle.

[quote]R126, Richard M. Nixon was a STATESMAN.

[quote]The words “real President” and Jimmy Carter should never appear in the same sentence.

FROM THE TREASON THREAD

[quote]R331, Clinton was a public servant at the time, Trump was not.

[quote]R359, The prosecution has yet to name the “crime”...

[quote]R362/R363, Absolutely nothing to with this “hush money” circus of a “trial”.

[quote]R375, Yes, four years in the White House.

[quote]R383 seems to be speaking of Bill Clinton.

[quote]Stormy lost the case for the prosecution on Tuesday with her testimony.

ff & ignore

by Anonymousreply 153May 26, 2024 8:49 PM

You appear to be obsessed, R153.

Another lonely holiday weekend for you, I see.

Pity.

by Anonymousreply 154May 26, 2024 9:02 PM

A bit much, R153.

by Anonymousreply 155May 26, 2024 9:08 PM

You know, I have one observation to make and it's a general, but one Carter and other Dems usually get criticized for. Government regulation. Well, if our corporate citizens were responsible good citizens instead of shady, underhanded slime, we wouldn't need to regulate them. They wouldn't dump toxic waste into our rivers and streams. They would have safety measures for workers in their factories, they would not contaminate our food supplies with pesticides and pollute our air with carcinogens. They'd pay taxes and a living wage.

by Anonymousreply 156May 26, 2024 9:19 PM

A good man. He will be remembered and spoken about with great respect.

by Anonymousreply 157May 26, 2024 9:41 PM

why the fuck is the grandson even speaking to the press? He's a gossip monger! can't be trusted with secrets!

by Anonymousreply 158May 26, 2024 10:24 PM

Our Jimmy has been coming to an end for over 99 years - we all leave sometime!

by Anonymousreply 159May 26, 2024 10:26 PM

Patsy has spoken

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160May 26, 2024 10:47 PM

Fun fact, when (if) Carter eventually dies the oldest living person to have been sworn in as President will then be.....

Joe Biden.

by Anonymousreply 161June 19, 2024 3:16 PM

I don't think you quite know how fun facts work. That would only be a fun fact if Biden was even older than Carter.

by Anonymousreply 162June 19, 2024 3:21 PM

Jimmy pulled American support of the Shah at the worst possible time. His damned self righteousness handed over Iran to the Ayatollahs with the consequence ignored by the loving media that the blood of every one of he millions killed directly and indirectly by the Iranian regime is on Jimmy's hands. That's 45 years of slaughter and counting.

America couldn't wait to kick his incompetent ass out of the White House. None of his post presidency PR work changes that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163June 19, 2024 3:50 PM

R163 Oh, believe me, I am extensively acquainted with fun facts. It's a fun fact that Biden is older than Clinton who was President 30 years ago. And it makes it even more fun when you realise that Trump is, too.

by Anonymousreply 164June 19, 2024 3:51 PM

If only it were you coming to an end instead, R163.

by Anonymousreply 165June 19, 2024 3:55 PM

R163, Kissinger and Nixon gave Jimmy the "gift" of the Shah. By then he was dying and Carter allowed him to get needed medical treatment. The true failure was the CIA's intelligence failure to completely mis assess and under estimate the demonstrations leading up to the Shah's overthrow and not recognizing the threat of the cleric on the balcony in Paris urging his supporters togo after the Devil and the Americans who propped him up. Our intel and our state department that continued supporting the Shah, fucked up big time and that is on Kissinger and Nixon's doorstep, especially Kissinger who was an overrated pompous asshole. It is not unusual for PResidents to inherit other PResident's fuck ups.

by Anonymousreply 166June 19, 2024 3:55 PM

Two months later and he’s still coming.

by Anonymousreply 167July 21, 2024 5:55 PM

[quote] Two months later and he’s still coming.

Just like when we were married. Sweet memories.

by Anonymousreply 168July 21, 2024 6:00 PM

He's sticking around to replace Biden.

by Anonymousreply 169July 21, 2024 6:04 PM

Hey, Jimmy... Time to go

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170July 21, 2024 6:09 PM

[quote] He's sticking around to replace Biden.

Well, he, like Trump, has another four years of eligibility.

by Anonymousreply 171July 21, 2024 6:18 PM

His grandson is like the political Grim Reaper. Quit hovering, allow the man to die in peace then go running to the press. Every few months he comes out with the same announcement.

by Anonymousreply 172July 21, 2024 6:58 PM

Jimmy has officially outlived Biden's campaign. Impressive.

by Anonymousreply 173July 21, 2024 6:59 PM

I think Jimmy Carter will die before the election.

This isn't a good year for Democrats.

by Anonymousreply 174July 21, 2024 7:01 PM

Is there any, I hate to say this, but is there any timing that could, you know, help Democrats or hurt Republicans?

by Anonymousreply 175July 21, 2024 7:01 PM

Why do you think he’s holding on, R174? Living to make sure Trump never reaches the White House again is what drives him. He will die after the election, when he’s 100 years old, with a big smile on his face.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176July 21, 2024 7:05 PM

[quote] I think Jimmy Carter will die before the election.

If he did die before the election, I thought that would give Biden a good forum to eulogize Carter (he was the first senator to endorse his '76 candidacy). Now I wonder if Kamala would be given a speaking role if we have a pre-election funeral.

by Anonymousreply 177July 21, 2024 7:11 PM

What are his days like? Is he in pain?

by Anonymousreply 178July 21, 2024 7:13 PM

Doubtful. Hospice has him all morphined up.

by Anonymousreply 179July 21, 2024 7:15 PM

[quote]R8: In between his moments of sleep. lucidity and grief, do you mean, [R7]?

Nothing like a snipe who doesn't know English fucking up her high-tone manner.

Speaking out against Trump WOULD be something appropriate in a moment of lucidity, cunt.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 180July 21, 2024 7:21 PM

Ah ayam ready to run agin.

by Anonymousreply 181July 21, 2024 7:22 PM

Jimmy will die in October just after he turns 100. The World, especially America will stop for a moment. It will pause to remember a truly decent man. And Joe, Kamala, Barack, and Bill will speak It'll be better than a pep rally. Jimmy wants to die at a time it will help get out the vote. He's our October surprise.

by Anonymousreply 182July 21, 2024 8:46 PM

A baby born the year Carter left office would be 43 today.

He’s become irrelevant.

by Anonymousreply 183July 22, 2024 5:37 AM

Has MTG commented yet?

by Anonymousreply 184July 22, 2024 5:41 AM

Dayum! That is one tough old bird. Shit.

by Anonymousreply 185July 22, 2024 5:45 AM

The only good thing Nixon ever did was start the EPA. China should have remained hidden.

by Anonymousreply 186July 22, 2024 5:57 AM

Nixon started the Section 8 Voucher program too R186, which I think is a good thing.

by Anonymousreply 187July 22, 2024 6:03 AM

We could maybe even say that Democrat one-termers, (Truman*, JFK*, LBJ*, Carter, Biden) turned out to be better Presidents than Democrat two-termers (Clinton, Obama). Discuss.

*Give or take a few fractions.

by Anonymousreply 188July 22, 2024 6:26 AM

R188 FDR? Clinton and Obama had huge successes. Obama, in particular, was burdened by inheriting the Great Recession. It forever changed what could have been. He never got to fight for his true agenda, and what he got accomplished was monumental. The 2nd term “lame duck” name stuck for a reason.

by Anonymousreply 189July 22, 2024 6:48 AM

Truman and LBJ were not two termeds. They each served 2 terms even if not full 4 year terms. Carter was not a great President. He’s been a very good ex president for sure.

by Anonymousreply 190July 22, 2024 6:50 AM

Two termers…

by Anonymousreply 191July 22, 2024 6:51 AM

Truman served just a few months short of eight years.

by Anonymousreply 192July 22, 2024 6:59 AM

R190 Carter was much better than he’s given credit for. He inherited a crap economy from Nixon/Ford. He has a good job growth and GDP. He appointed the guy who eventually tamed inflation due to Nixon/Ford.

by Anonymousreply 193July 22, 2024 7:14 AM

R190 Well technically both of them could have been elected to and served another full term (though in Truman's case not with the rules currently in place I believe).

by Anonymousreply 194July 22, 2024 8:02 AM

In 1952, Truman WAS, like Biden, running for re-election until he didn’t. His administration was exempted by the then-new constitutional amendment prohibiting presidents from serving two terms in office. LBJ only served 14 months of JFK’s unfinished term, so, although subject to the amendment, he was eligible to run for re-election in 1968.

by Anonymousreply 195July 22, 2024 11:16 AM

Harry Truman’s approval rating was only 31% when he left office in 1953.

Like Jimmy Carter, Truman’s legacy improved over time.

by Anonymousreply 196July 22, 2024 11:48 AM

When he exits this mortal coil Pres. Carter should receive a send off worthy of a Pope. No other Chief Executive in the history of America has done more good for humanity than him.

by Anonymousreply 197July 22, 2024 11:58 AM

R197, Including, producing a son with a big dick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198July 22, 2024 1:14 PM

I'm almost 60 years old and he was the only US president of my lifetime who wasn't a war criminal.

by Anonymousreply 199July 22, 2024 1:17 PM

R179 is unaware that a person does not live this long in hospice care if morphine is being dispensed.

by Anonymousreply 200July 22, 2024 4:22 PM

Hey, R199, when you return to Earth from Planet Precious perhaps you can cut the useless, pointless quibbling over what power means and requires.

Being a cunt does not make you exempt from a rational orientation to the world. Equating war with war criminality will get you nowhere except appropriate dismissal. Save your bullshit for your two-legged rescue opossums.

by Anonymousreply 201July 22, 2024 4:26 PM

I didn't know that R187. It is a good thing. I have had to use it and it was a lifesaver.

by Anonymousreply 202July 22, 2024 6:51 PM

[quote]Jimmy Carter is 'coming to the end,'

The end of what?

by Anonymousreply 203July 22, 2024 7:02 PM

Morphine kills the pain and if enough is administered it puts you under but it does not keep you alive. That body of his is not going to let go.

Unless he is given an overdose of morphine purposely by a Dr. when they figure what's the point of hanging on like this. Of course it's not legal but the law looks away.

by Anonymousreply 204July 22, 2024 11:11 PM

Jimmy is a corpse tease.

by Anonymousreply 205July 22, 2024 11:20 PM

I how he doesn’t die during the convention. He is a decent man but was not a great president.

by Anonymousreply 206July 22, 2024 11:22 PM

He's gonna hang on until his 100th birthday in October.

by Anonymousreply 207July 22, 2024 11:26 PM

R200. R179 is not saying he has been on morphine his entire time in hospice care.

by Anonymousreply 208July 22, 2024 11:44 PM

R169 When we said a corpse over Trump we meant it!

by Anonymousreply 209July 22, 2024 11:52 PM

Still with this we're talking???

by Anonymousreply 210July 23, 2024 1:26 AM

As long as he's alive we're going to keep talking.

by Anonymousreply 211July 23, 2024 1:48 AM

And we'll increase the volume when he's gone!

by Anonymousreply 212July 23, 2024 2:28 AM

R203 The end of the rainbow Rose.

Now shut the fuck up you airhead!!!

by Anonymousreply 213July 23, 2024 5:12 AM

It's now just 70 days (or 10 weeks) to his 100th b-day.

by Anonymousreply 214July 23, 2024 5:14 AM

He’ll make it. Then just a few weeks more to see the White House door slam on Donald Trump’s face. He’ll make that, too.

by Anonymousreply 215July 23, 2024 3:53 PM

And... he's dead.

by Anonymousreply 216July 23, 2024 4:00 PM

Still no thread on his death on DL yet.

by Anonymousreply 217July 23, 2024 4:06 PM

[quote]Still no thread on his death on DL yet.

Because he's not dead.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218July 23, 2024 4:07 PM

The long, long, long, long, long, long, looooooooooooong goodbye.

by Anonymousreply 219July 23, 2024 4:09 PM

I think Mr. Jimmy wants to vote for Kamala and he is hanging on until he gets his absentee ballot filled out.

by Anonymousreply 220July 23, 2024 4:58 PM

[quote] I think Mr. Jimmy wants to vote for Kamala and he is hanging on until he gets his absentee ballot filled out.

It's illegal to cast votes for dead people.

by Anonymousreply 221July 23, 2024 4:59 PM

I'm not dead. You're dead!

by Anonymousreply 222July 23, 2024 6:21 PM

I'm still dead, bitches!

by Anonymousreply 223July 23, 2024 6:22 PM

I wonder how long the media outlets have had their obituaries ready for. I think there were pre-prepared obituaries for the Queen Mother back in the 60s.

by Anonymousreply 224July 23, 2024 11:35 PM

R224 😆 you are such a mafucker.

by Anonymousreply 225July 23, 2024 11:37 PM

[quote] I wonder how long the media outlets have had their obituaries ready for.

Since his presidency.

by Anonymousreply 226July 23, 2024 11:43 PM

Geez, you guys are just as gullible as Republicans 😂

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227July 24, 2024 12:32 AM

I hope Carter dies shortly before the election and Trump and Vance will say something really nasty that turns the last undecided voters off.

by Anonymousreply 228July 24, 2024 4:09 PM

I just don't want him to die in a Trump administration. I don't want to die in a Trump administration.

by Anonymousreply 229July 24, 2024 4:27 PM

For R216. And Mike Lee.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 230July 24, 2024 7:00 PM

Is he dead yet?

by Anonymousreply 231July 24, 2024 7:51 PM

R231 is Jimmy's thirsty grandson, just aching to break the news!

by Anonymousreply 232July 24, 2024 7:54 PM

Anyone know if these old old historical figures outlived most of their children?

by Anonymousreply 233July 24, 2024 10:33 PM

I'll outlive you, you little cunt!

by Anonymousreply 234July 25, 2024 12:52 AM

Is he dead yet?

by Anonymousreply 235July 25, 2024 11:27 AM

Rosalynn you will be the first to know.

by Anonymousreply 236July 26, 2024 9:17 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!