Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

HBO Acquires Jessica Lange Pic The Great Lillian Hall, Rushes to Air Ahead of Emmy Cutoff

HBO Films has acquired The Great Lillian Hall, starring Jessica Lange, for premiere on Friday, May 31, the eve of the June 1 Emmy eligibility cutoff date. The film will air on HBO at 8 pm ET/PT and will stream on Max.

Per the logline: As beloved Broadway star Lillian Hall (Lange) pours her heart, soul, and time into preparing for her next big role, she finds herself blindsided by confusion and forgetfulness. Battling against all odds to make it to opening night, while holding on to her fading memories and identity, she must navigate a tumultuous emotional journey – balancing her desire for the spotlight and the stark demands of the real world.

In addition to Lange, the cast includes Kathy Bates, Lily Rabe, Jesse Williams, and Pierce Brosnan.

The Great Lillian Hall is directed by Michael Cristofer; written by Elisabeth Seldes Annacone; produced by Bruce Cohen, Steven Rogers, Scott Thigpen, and Marie Halliday; executive produced by Tom Cappello, Jessica Lange, Kathy Bates, Michael Cristofer, and Alex Platis; co-produced by George Scarles and Jessica Fox-Thigpen.

The three-time Emmy and two-time Oscar-winning Lange is nominated for a 2024 Tony for Best Actress in a Leading Role in a Play for her performance in Mother Play. The role marks Lange’s first Broadway appearance since her Tony-winning performance in 2016’s Long Day’s Journey Into Night.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37June 1, 2024 4:41 PM

I'm sick of dementia and Alzheimers movies! I get it that older actors jump on the opportunity to play anything but I'm frankly DONE with them unless they're very intelligently made like The Father, which most are not.

by Anonymousreply 1May 14, 2024 9:19 PM

With Lily Rabe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2May 15, 2024 1:29 AM

With Kathy Bates.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3May 15, 2024 1:37 AM

With Pierce Brosnan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4May 15, 2024 1:38 AM

I like Lily Rabe, as far as nepo babies go.

by Anonymousreply 5May 15, 2024 1:38 AM

How can she win a Grammy? She's a decent singer.

by Anonymousreply 6May 15, 2024 1:42 AM

I'll be watching, thanks for the info OP.

by Anonymousreply 7May 15, 2024 1:44 AM

I love her, but she's been giving the exact same performance for the past 25 years.

by Anonymousreply 8May 15, 2024 1:45 AM

Zzzzzzzzz...

by Anonymousreply 9May 15, 2024 1:45 AM

Is this loosely based on the great Helen Lawson's twilight years?

"I already fucking told ya, Broadway doesn't go for booze and ... and??? LINE!!!"

by Anonymousreply 10May 15, 2024 1:52 AM

[quote]How can she win a Grammy? She's a decent singer.

She could get it for an audiobook.

by Anonymousreply 11May 15, 2024 2:08 AM

Poor Jessica. This was supposed to be a film release. Now it’s being dumped on HBO last minute in hopes she gets an Emmy nomination. She really has bad luck.

by Anonymousreply 12May 15, 2024 2:16 AM

If HBO can manage to release this simultaneously in at least one movie theatre in LA County, then Lange has a shot at an Oscar nom. That's what Netflix and Apple do these days.

by Anonymousreply 13May 15, 2024 2:33 AM

Lange just announced that the Long Day’s Journey Into Night film adaptation she and Ed Harris star in will be released in theaters. She will likely add Emmy and Oscar nods to her Tony nod this year.

by Anonymousreply 14May 16, 2024 8:57 PM

Pierce Brosnan? Wasn't Sam Neill available?

by Anonymousreply 15May 16, 2024 10:07 PM

This play might be semi-autobiographical. Fun fact: Screenwriter Annacone is the niece of the late theater legend Marian Seldes, a performer who set a Guinness World Record for not missing a single performance during the four-year, 1799-show run of Ira Levin’s Deathtrap.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16May 16, 2024 10:14 PM

Hope it's good! Jessica could have one of the hottest years of hr career if this and LDJIN get great reviews and awards attention

by Anonymousreply 17May 17, 2024 7:59 PM

R17 This year could turn out to be her most notable since 1982. Tony, Emmy, and Oscar nods—and wins?—within a 12-month span at 75 would be a fabulous capstone on an already legendary, iconoclastic career.

by Anonymousreply 18May 18, 2024 2:12 PM

HBO hasn't got a trailer for this? Are they promoting it?

by Anonymousreply 19May 19, 2024 9:15 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20May 22, 2024 8:58 PM

Mixed feelings about this, and god, her face. The trailer made me want to see it, but I didn’t finish it is too long snd reveals to much.

by Anonymousreply 21May 22, 2024 9:11 PM

What about her face?

by Anonymousreply 22May 22, 2024 9:14 PM

Jessica's look here is reminding me of Geraldine Page in her later years.

by Anonymousreply 23May 23, 2024 12:06 AM

Jessica looks like crap. The movie also looks amateurish and maudlin. No wonder Meryl jumped ship.

by Anonymousreply 24May 23, 2024 3:33 AM

Kathy Bates channeling Thelma Ritter was pretty awful. I did love Jessica but, yeah, the mannerisms are getting a bit much. And, this is really nitpicky, but why oh why did Lil have a framed poster of A Chorus Line on her apartment wall. Was she a replacement Cassie?

by Anonymousreply 25June 1, 2024 3:46 AM

"The Chorus Line" poster may have been Michael Cristofer's nod to his longtime friend and colleague Robert LuPone, who died in 2022. Cristofer also acted in the 1977 Broadway production of "The Cherry Orchard," which starred Irene Worth, whom Marian Seldes replaced in "Ring Round the Moon" when Worth had a stroke.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26June 1, 2024 7:44 AM

Who watched it?

by Anonymousreply 27June 1, 2024 9:06 AM

R27, Watched it last evening and enjoyed it.

A couple of direct steals from “All About Eve”, like when Kathy Bates used Thelma Ritter’s line, “You want an argument or an answer?”.

by Anonymousreply 28June 1, 2024 9:27 AM

R28 not sure if you've watched much of Lange's work but how would you rate her performance here?

by Anonymousreply 29June 1, 2024 11:03 AM

R29, I thought her performance was excellent.

by Anonymousreply 30June 1, 2024 11:29 AM

She was okay. Nothing she hasn’t done before. It veers into sentimentality and corniness (Kathy Bates feeding her lines through a wireless headset). B+

by Anonymousreply 31June 1, 2024 2:59 PM

R31, As if that has never been done before.

by Anonymousreply 32June 1, 2024 3:01 PM

SPOILER

When she showed up for the opening night (after canceling previews!) and walked onstage after everyone thought the standby was going on I rolled my eyes so hard they're still stuck in the back of my head. I did think Lily Rabe was excellent and there were moments where I saw a lot of Jill Clayburgh in her. All in all it felt like a cheap production with some not so great performances.

by Anonymousreply 33June 1, 2024 3:52 PM

That was my complaint. She goes into wild hallucination periods that can last an hour, but we are expected to believe that she could quickly snap out of it and perform a two hour play.

by Anonymousreply 34June 1, 2024 4:03 PM

R34, She performed the play on opening night with substantial difficulty.

by Anonymousreply 35June 1, 2024 4:28 PM

Jessica’s opening night performance reminded me of when I saw Waiting in the Wings in Boston in 1999 pre-Broadway.

Bacall went up on her lines several times and while she stood there frozen, her next line was shouted out to her from the wings.

by Anonymousreply 36June 1, 2024 4:32 PM

Lange has received raves across the board.

Review thread:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37June 1, 2024 4:41 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!