Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Alice Munro Is DEAD TO ME

Heartbreaking that she, who wrote one of the best stories about Alzheimer, was suffering from dementia for so long.

I love her work. Anyone elseafanhefe?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41July 10, 2024 4:29 AM

RIP to one of the world's greatest short story writers. Is that still even a thing?

by Anonymousreply 1May 14, 2024 8:50 PM

[quote] elseafanhefe

Is that a character in Wicked?

by Anonymousreply 2May 14, 2024 9:01 PM

One of the times the Nobel committee got it right! She was a wonder!

by Anonymousreply 3May 14, 2024 9:16 PM

Compelling, amusing, and hard to put down once one starts reading. Brilliant storyteller. No one else like her. Didn't she win a Nobel?

A true loss to the world of contemporary literature.

by Anonymousreply 4May 14, 2024 9:28 PM

R4:

[quote] Didn't she win a Nobel?

R3:

[quote] One of the times the Nobel committee got it right!

by Anonymousreply 5May 14, 2024 9:36 PM

Sorry for not being perfect r5.

by Anonymousreply 6May 14, 2024 9:40 PM

Damn, I was waiting for (and dreading) this. Wonderful stories that experiment with time and emotions in such a unique way. At least she was able to enjoy her Nobel for a decade, you can tell she got a real kick out of it.

by Anonymousreply 7May 14, 2024 9:50 PM

She was over 90. It would have been nice to expect more but...

by Anonymousreply 8May 14, 2024 9:52 PM

[quote]who wrote one of the best stories about Alzheimer

I did?

by Anonymousreply 9May 14, 2024 9:54 PM

She never did get that novel published.

by Anonymousreply 10May 14, 2024 9:54 PM

[quote] Sorry for not being perfect

It was not you who was not being perfect, r3.

by Anonymousreply 11May 14, 2024 9:58 PM

R10, maybe it was for the best. Her stories her perfection, though, and much better than many novels.

by Anonymousreply 12May 14, 2024 9:59 PM

R12, agreed.

by Anonymousreply 13May 14, 2024 10:06 PM

Overrated.

by Anonymousreply 14May 14, 2024 10:36 PM

I’ll start, R14. It’s not like me to say such things but you are very simply wrong. Wrong. Just plain wrong. Munro’s stories are sublime, insightful, a comfort, alarming, and attuned to the perfect nuance. If readers don’t like her writing, I’m certain the fault lies with them.

by Anonymousreply 15May 14, 2024 11:37 PM

[quote] If readers don’t like her writing, I’m certain the fault lies with them.

R15 has stated his Munro doctrine.

by Anonymousreply 16May 14, 2024 11:38 PM

R14, fair enough. But which contemporary short story writers do you prefer?

by Anonymousreply 17May 15, 2024 12:10 AM

She was an excellent, fabulous and sharp writer. One of my very favorite authors. Loved her.

by Anonymousreply 18May 15, 2024 1:17 AM

R17, I am a huge admirer of William Trevor, whose stories are extraordinarily odd and psychologically penetrating. His prose is peerless, too.

by Anonymousreply 19May 15, 2024 1:21 AM

I loved "Open Secrets."

by Anonymousreply 20May 15, 2024 1:22 AM

Has Jill or Kelly commented?

by Anonymousreply 21May 15, 2024 1:24 AM

R17, I also should have thanked you for your very civil and reasonable response, with inquiry. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 22May 15, 2024 1:27 AM

R17, Rachel Kushner is also a first-rate fiction writer (including short stories). She's much younger than Munro was--only in her 50s, I believe, but her work is more compelling and beautifully crafted than just about anything I've read. She deserves wider exposure.

by Anonymousreply 23May 15, 2024 1:32 AM

R22, thanks. I like Munro. But I'm always looking for someone new to read!

by Anonymousreply 24May 15, 2024 1:35 AM

Great writer. RIP.

by Anonymousreply 25May 15, 2024 1:45 AM

She enabled and choose her pedophilic husband over her own daughter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26July 8, 2024 2:22 AM

Wow, that's a sad story at R26.

I still enjoyed Munro's stories, but I 100% believe her daughter.

In fairness, it appears that the daughter didn't report the sexual assault to Munro until many years had passed. I do think Munro would still have chosen her husband over her daughter.

by Anonymousreply 27July 8, 2024 2:53 AM

[quote]OP: Heartbreaking that she, who wrote one of the best stories about Alzheimer, was suffering from dementia for so long. I love her work. Anyone elseafanhefe?

We can see why it's affected you so much, dear. They do keep the doors locked where you are, right?

by Anonymousreply 28July 8, 2024 2:58 AM

I miss the short story genre. I used to borrow those "Best Short Stories of __X__ [Year]" anthologies and read them on long plane rides.

by Anonymousreply 29July 8, 2024 3:00 AM

That's so sad what she did to her daughter

by Anonymousreply 30July 8, 2024 3:09 AM

Oh no, not Alice Munro! This is awful, how did she die?

by Anonymousreply 31July 8, 2024 5:36 AM

Shocking news. One of her later collections, Too Much Happiness, featured some stories that were uncharacteristically dark compared to her earlier work. I wonder what impact this news had on it.

by Anonymousreply 32July 8, 2024 5:38 AM

Munro is a completely overrated writer, and her vast cuntiness is readily apparent in her work to any attentive reader.

Munro idolators will stay faithful to their god and spit out a lot of silliness about the complexity of artistic talent and its necessary separation from personal flaws of characteŕ and decency. In some cases, that explanation is valid, but not with Munro. Overrated bitch.

by Anonymousreply 33July 8, 2024 10:24 AM

R33 here again. What kills me is that Munro has quite a few women peers whose fiction is so much more interesting and reflective of unique talent, but less celebrated and unquestioningly revered, such as Jane Smiley, Joy Williams, and Lucia Berlin. In today's literary world, we have Rachel Kushner, Jennifer Egan, Dana Spiotta, Elzabeth Strout, and more. All of them immeasurably more in command of the art of fiction, and often with a sense of humor Munro lacked.

by Anonymousreply 34July 8, 2024 12:16 PM

Munro was prolific.

by Anonymousreply 35July 8, 2024 3:39 PM

Fighting an oil rig fire in the Gulf of Mexico R31.

SHE WAS 92!

by Anonymousreply 36July 8, 2024 3:42 PM

How is Ralph taking it? Will she wear black coveralls?

by Anonymousreply 37July 8, 2024 6:24 PM

Opened this thread in the middle of re-reading a collection of Munro’s stories. That article by her daughter is heartbreaking - and infuriating.

Given her awareness of her husband’s predilection for young girls (even though Andrea disclosed the truth to her mother years later), it just seems beyond disingenuous that she (mother) accepted the preposterous notion that the daughter “wasn’t the husband’s type.” I mean a woman like Alice Munro - literate, beloved, famous, seen by some as an icon of feminism in her time - could actually think like that.

No, I have no way of knowing for sure. But the daughter’s article was 100% convincing to me. I believe every word.

I know it may sound ridiculous but having Alice Munro’s book next to me in bed now just feels icky to me.

by Anonymousreply 38July 10, 2024 3:13 AM

Then for God's sake: don't read it, r38. But stop using this as an excuse for public pearl-clutching.

by Anonymousreply 39July 10, 2024 3:32 AM

Cunt.

by Anonymousreply 40July 10, 2024 3:47 AM

I sort of agree with you r33. Her cuntiness drips off every page. She hates hates loathes and hates the rural white Canadian hillbilly society she was born into and yet has a baffling superiority complex (which comes out in her work) about how they’re the most moral, strong brave women in the world.

I can only read her for so long before I get irritated and have to stop. This news about her daughter is disgusting and now I have a legit excuse not to worship at her altar and her oeuvre of white, Canadian hickdom.

by Anonymousreply 41July 10, 2024 4:29 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!