Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sarah Paulson says actress sent her 6 pages of notes criticizing her stage acting

Sarah Paulson will never forget the actor who sent her six pages of unsolicited notes after watching her in a play.

Paulson recently appeared on the “Smartless” podcast, where she and hosts Jason Bateman, Sean Hayes and Will Arnett discussed the theater custom of celebrities coming backstage to meet with the cast.

When Bateman asked the group if they would accept criticism from these visitors, Paulson recalled the “outrageous” experience she had after a show.

“I did do a play once. The last time I was on stage, I did a play called ‘Talley’s Folly’ at the Roundabout, and the actress — and I’m going to say this, and I’m not going to ask you to cut this out, because I don’t f—ing care — this actress came to the play. Her name is Trish Hawkins — Hi, Trish! Hi, Trisha!” Paulson said. “Trish Hawkins came to the play — am I going to get sued? I don’t care, because I think this is outrageous.”

She continued, “She came to the play, proceeded to say — she looked at me up and down and then she went, ‘Your dress is yellow. Mine was pink.’ And I thought, ‘What?’”

Hawkins originated the role of Sally Talley in “Talley’s Folly” both during its 1979 off-Broadway run and its Broadway debut in 1980. In 2013, Paulson played the same character in an off-Broadway revival of the Lanford Wilson play.

According to Paulson, her own mother had brought Hawkins with her to watch “Talley’s Folly” because they were “in some kind of writing group together.”

“Cut to two days later, I got an email that was six pages long of notes and a communication to me about what she had done when she had done the play, what she recommended I do,” Paulson added. “It was outrageous. It was really outrageous. Trish Hawkins, I have not forgotten it, and I hope to see you never.”

Paulson admitted she still has Hawkins’ notes, but she never told her mother about the incident. “I just put it back in the file of things my mother has done,” she said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80May 21, 2024 4:23 PM

Lesbians always cause drama and have thin skin, I’m talking about Sarah. What a cunt to drag some old lady who was probably just another Aspie actor who wanted to verbalize her constructive criticism. This is why the actors today are so bad, because they think they’re perfect and are unteachable. Take the win, you’re a successful working actor and millionaire. That old lady is probably lonely at home. Sarah is a huge petty bitch for this. Probably just pissed because that elderly lady wouldn’t let her munch some granny snatch. CUNT!

by Anonymousreply 1May 14, 2024 6:50 PM

Sarah is a shitty actress, she never fades into the role. I never forget who I’m watching. Why she’s a darling of Murphy is beyond me.

by Anonymousreply 2May 14, 2024 6:51 PM

Seems like an exhausting phony and I hated her Malibu cottage.

by Anonymousreply 3May 14, 2024 6:53 PM

Smartless brings out the worst in most everyone, including its three hosts.

by Anonymousreply 4May 14, 2024 6:53 PM

It is kinda funny though, when someone gives you a bunch of notes you didn’t ask for. This happened to me once and it did feel a little rude and outrageous

by Anonymousreply 5May 14, 2024 6:55 PM

She’s almost a hatchet face but more a mallet face meets a shrew rat.

by Anonymousreply 6May 14, 2024 6:55 PM

My notes to Paulson would be much simpler- Stop acting.

by Anonymousreply 7May 14, 2024 6:58 PM

Is this the one? She was 70 at the time and hadn't filmed anything since the year I was born.

r5 Thank you for being the voice of reason in this thread. This behaviour is NOT okay and she is fully in her right to complain.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8May 14, 2024 6:59 PM

[quote] Paulson admitted she still has Hawkins’ notes, but she never told her mother about the incident. “I just put it back in the file of things my mother has done,” she said.

Sounds like Sarah has MOMMY ISSUES.

No wonder she's in a relationship with Holland Taylor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9May 14, 2024 7:01 PM

The woman is 79. You’d think that the Geriatric Lover would have some modesty and respect. Hell, the lady is probably a little off. This is just pathetic. Who cares if the woman wanted to comment? This shit was perfectly normal behavior before the participation trophy generation. Sarah is the bully now, this woman did it in private, Sarah just exposed a 79 year old woman to the psychopaths of the internet. Fuck Sarah!

by Anonymousreply 10May 14, 2024 7:04 PM

Was it perfectly normal though? Do you go to someone’s house for a dinner party and give them notes on their cooking? Do you go to a professor’s lecture and give them notes on that? Even if you were an expert I would say no and that is and always has been considered rude

by Anonymousreply 11May 14, 2024 7:08 PM

I hope that Trish mentioned Sarah's annoying LISP!

by Anonymousreply 12May 14, 2024 7:10 PM

On Reddit, of course the Aspies zero in on the alleged “hero” of the story while be completely oblivious to any nuance:

“Good. We should all call out outrageous behavior more often. People have become too emboldened to act like sociopaths.”

As if Sarah isn’t exhibiting sociopathic behavior by doing this.

by Anonymousreply 13May 14, 2024 7:11 PM

I’m not as deranged in my hatred of SP as the above posters. 😅

But yeah, why bring this up? What this woman did was definitely cringe, but why use your celebrity to crucify her for it?

by Anonymousreply 14May 14, 2024 7:13 PM

Sarah is cunt.

by Anonymousreply 15May 14, 2024 7:14 PM

R11 of course it’s rude, but that woman didn’t publish the comments publicly and us nor Sarah can know the intentions behind it, but what Sarah just did is fucking psychotic. That woman is 79 with probably limited time and her last years are now stained by the vengeance of this Oedipus Lez.

by Anonymousreply 16May 14, 2024 7:14 PM

^ Reading between the lines this is Sarah being resentful of and dragging her own mother

by Anonymousreply 17May 14, 2024 7:14 PM

R17 exactly! She needs therapy.

by Anonymousreply 18May 14, 2024 7:15 PM

R10 I agree with you that it wasnt cool of Sarah to share this story

by Anonymousreply 19May 14, 2024 7:15 PM

For a very successful, middle-aged actress to still be this insecure, and to air this incident publicly after such a long time, is almost bizarre. So immature.

by Anonymousreply 20May 14, 2024 7:19 PM

Sarah is one of those elitists who are in the alleged cool kids club and thinks she’s untouchable.

by Anonymousreply 21May 14, 2024 7:19 PM

Sarah was probably revved up by the circle of hags during that podcast.

Can you just imagine the bitch factor being in a room with uber-cunts Jason Bateman, Sean Hayes, and Will Arnett?

It's like being on Datalounge, but in person!

by Anonymousreply 22May 14, 2024 7:20 PM

Lesbian holds grudge for decades.

More at 11.

by Anonymousreply 23May 14, 2024 7:21 PM

I love how it was all about this Trish Hawkins for the whole story...she named her several times, blah blah blah...is it all right to say this? I don't care, etc etc. Then in the end...it wasn't.

It was always about her mom, and she's now added this woman's comments and opinions on to her mom's boatload of Shit She Did To Her.

by Anonymousreply 24May 14, 2024 7:21 PM

r22 hey, what did Will Arnett do?

by Anonymousreply 25May 14, 2024 7:26 PM

I assume when you originate a role that you'll always feel proprietary of it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 14, 2024 7:27 PM

That explains the mother issues.

by Anonymousreply 27May 14, 2024 7:29 PM

[Quote]I never told her mother about the incident. “I just put it back in the file of things my mother has done,” she said.

I'm missing the part of the story where her mother encouraged Trish to send these notes. Where's that?? The mom brought Hawkins to the play and now mom's at fault. The fuck?! Also, maybe her email was part of her writing class assignment. Don't tell me Sarah didn't reply. I want to see both email and reply. I hope she follows up with that.

by Anonymousreply 28May 14, 2024 7:48 PM

[quote] The mom brought Hawkins to the play and now mom's at fault. The fuck?!

Exactly what this is.

In Sarah's mind, her mother brought this lady to her play, JUST to criticize Sarah.

As if her mother is constantly doing things to sabotage her.

My sister felt the same way towards my mom. She always felt like my mom was doing things on purpose, to make her feel bad about herself.

Whether it's real or not, that's just the way certain people perceive it. Especially when you have a domineering or controlling mother.

by Anonymousreply 29May 14, 2024 7:53 PM

Trisha Kuntkins

by Anonymousreply 30May 14, 2024 8:00 PM

What's with all these thin-skinned actresses holding grudges for years, like Paulson, Rebel Wilson and Rebecca Ferguson. Wha't the point of bringing this stuff up now? It makes them look like crazy ex-girlfriends who can't move on. You tell those kinds of stories in private to entertain friends.

by Anonymousreply 31May 14, 2024 8:21 PM

Haven't you heard? Women never let anything go and they always want more.

by Anonymousreply 32May 14, 2024 8:22 PM

Anyone who gets replaced/succeeded/recast in a role by Sarah One Note Clout Chaser Paulson should send her extensive notes on how to act. All she mostly did on AHS was lisp and scream.

Without that nelly old Nosferatu queen Ryan Murphy she is nothing. However it has become quite clear that they have had a falling out shortly around the time of that godawful Double Feature season of AHS.

by Anonymousreply 33May 14, 2024 8:30 PM

Jesus, she really is hated here. I thought it was uncool of her to name a pretty unknown actress (she probably wouldn’t have if it was a famous one) but to call her psychotic and all these things because of this? She had every right to be pissed off…

by Anonymousreply 34May 14, 2024 8:45 PM

Yeah I would think if an old lady went backstage to see Paulson, she'd just fuck her. She is an asshole and could use many acting notes, mainly, get a speech therapist.

by Anonymousreply 35May 14, 2024 8:49 PM

[quote]This shit was perfectly normal behavior before the participation trophy generation.

So were a lot of stupid, useless, utterly pointless things.

by Anonymousreply 36May 14, 2024 8:51 PM

I don't know she has some talent and I think she is well liked especially among women in Hollywood. Her popularity and career soared when she was in middle age and Murphy was arguably responsible for that.

by Anonymousreply 37May 14, 2024 8:51 PM

Who???

by Anonymousreply 38May 14, 2024 9:29 PM

I'm surprised at the vitriol towards Sarah too, R34.

She seems pretty inoffensive to me.

by Anonymousreply 39May 15, 2024 7:32 AM

Some elderly old bat gave her acting advice so rather than rolling her eyes and deleting the email she names and shames on Hollywood’s #1 Mean Boy podcast?

Fuck her.

by Anonymousreply 40May 15, 2024 1:34 PM

Total CUNT

by Anonymousreply 41May 15, 2024 3:05 PM

hell i sent her 7 pages

by Anonymousreply 42May 15, 2024 3:16 PM

Seven pages of telling her to fix her speech impediment.

by Anonymousreply 43May 15, 2024 3:21 PM

She probably turned down Paulson’s advances. The 7 pages were a restraining order.

by Anonymousreply 44May 15, 2024 3:23 PM

They were talking about celebrities coming backstage at shows, that's why she brought it up

And, yes, giving someone six pages of notes is just weird and inappropriate

by Anonymousreply 45May 15, 2024 3:25 PM

What Hawkins did was beyond the pale, but you'd think Paulsen would have enough emotional intelligence to recognize she was dealing with 70-something has-been (never-was?) desperately holding on to a moment of past glory. And why hang onto the vitriol more than a decade later? I guess being married to a senior citizen has made SP less willing to give someone a pass because of their age.

by Anonymousreply 46May 15, 2024 3:33 PM

Does Sarah get mad if she’s denied dusty tuna?

by Anonymousreply 47May 15, 2024 3:35 PM

[quote]According to Paulson, her own mother had brought Hawkins with her to watch “Talley’s Folly” because they were “in some kind of writing group together.”

And you don’t think that maybe your mother encouraged Trish to send the notes? Especially because they are in the same writing group?

It sounds to me like Trish accidentally got in between a mother/daughter war.

by Anonymousreply 48May 15, 2024 4:38 PM

r48 DING DING DING!

by Anonymousreply 49May 15, 2024 4:39 PM

Sarah needed to be brought down a peg or two.

That girl has always been a know-it-all.

Miss Big Time Actress.

I fixed her.

by Anonymousreply 50May 15, 2024 4:43 PM

Former wannabe fiction writer here. Any kind of unsolicited advice in the arts is considered poor etiquette and patronizing, even when it comes from knowledgeable pros or elders in the field. Artists who want to perfect their craft have plenty of resources through which to do so and can decide if they want to use them. If not, that's their folly or wisdom, but for another artist to give unsolicited advice is, at least among writers, NOT DONE. EVER.

by Anonymousreply 51May 15, 2024 5:45 PM

This bitch is annoying and attention starved, huh??

by Anonymousreply 52May 15, 2024 5:48 PM

Exactly, r51. That’s why it’s amazing Sarah didn’t consider that because an elderly minor actress was used a pawn by her mother, it reflects worse on Sarah to put her on blast to Jason fucking Bateman.

by Anonymousreply 53May 15, 2024 5:52 PM

I'm team Sarah here. This is awful behavior for an actress to do to another actress, unsolicited. It's not like Trish was some big star. AND STILL ISN'T! Boy doesn't that IMDB burn now eh, Trish compared to Sarah? LOL. As we used to say in school, "Moded!"

by Anonymousreply 54May 15, 2024 5:52 PM

R53 Yes, and like her mother, she is using an elderly actress.

by Anonymousreply 55May 15, 2024 6:01 PM

Only 6 dear?

by Anonymousreply 56May 15, 2024 6:13 PM

It’s shitty behavior from the elderly nobody SURE. Keep your notes to yourself.

But the shittier behavior is to be a very successful actress on a “popular guy podcast” and call this old lady out by name, so your psychotic army of creepy fans can go after her. Ten years later.

In the realm of being an asshole, Sarah wins. She’s a basic mean girl who pretends to be nice and relatable.

Hope Jessica Lange wins the Tony.

by Anonymousreply 57May 15, 2024 6:30 PM

No one is meaner than Jessica Lange , r57

by Anonymousreply 58May 18, 2024 4:02 PM

Right, but as a talented actress, she can do that R58. And I guarantee she doesn't whine about an octogenarian sending her notes on some shit play she did years ago. She would only have used it to fuel her performance.

by Anonymousreply 59May 18, 2024 4:11 PM

Sarah had every right to be offended. However, it wasn't very classy of her to name Hawkins. Had she just described the situation and not named her, it would have been a funnny anecdote and most theatre people would have known who it was anyway.

by Anonymousreply 60May 18, 2024 5:41 PM

Sarah is the kind of narcissistic asshole far up her own ass who siccs her fans on anyone who dares attack her divinity after putting them on blast.

Only bigger narcissistic asshole than her is Ryan Murphy. So she's the lesser of the two evils. Though that isn't saying much.

by Anonymousreply 61May 18, 2024 5:47 PM

Sarah would be considered a butch predator if she were into younger women.

by Anonymousreply 62May 18, 2024 5:54 PM

And that actor was: Holland Taylor

by Anonymousreply 63May 18, 2024 6:01 PM

I don't like Sarah Paulson but I side with her. Sending an actor with whom you are not friends nor have any professional relationship unsolicited and extensive notes on their performance is an act of cuntiness.

Reap what you sow.

by Anonymousreply 64May 18, 2024 6:29 PM

That it still seems to bug her enough to bring it up in an interview - with her level of fame/roles/money - says more about HER than it does about Miss Nobody Hawkins, honestly.

by Anonymousreply 65May 18, 2024 6:42 PM

As if you bitches wouldn't lap it up if Sarah Paulson had done this to another younger actress who then spilled it on a podcast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66May 18, 2024 6:45 PM

If Paulson was an elderly nobody living in obscurity - no - I don’t think we would lap it up.

I’m sure well-known actors have done shitty things to her. Name one of them. But she would never - because that could have actual professional repercussions.

The notes were definitely out of line and stupid - but it’s a bitch move to name this random old lady eleven years later (to impress Jason Bateman).

by Anonymousreply 67May 18, 2024 7:49 PM

Now, now. You're BOTH cunts!

by Anonymousreply 68May 18, 2024 8:08 PM

Um, did you listen to it, because she wasn’t trying to impress Jason Bateman. The nonsense people write on here…

by Anonymousreply 69May 18, 2024 8:13 PM

6 pages?

I'd call her out for 1 index card.

by Anonymousreply 70May 21, 2024 6:26 AM

I listened to that podcast. God, she really is exhausting. I was over it after fifteen minutes or so. And I actually quite like her as an actress.

The Trish thing didn't come across as mean as it sounds. It was kinda funny. Though naming the woman was shitty for sure.

by Anonymousreply 71May 21, 2024 7:02 AM

To be fair, Sarah needs all needing notes to improve her unconvincing acting.

by Anonymousreply 72May 21, 2024 7:38 AM

Would we forgive this if a famous actress like Meryl Streep had done this to her?

by Anonymousreply 73May 21, 2024 7:43 AM

Sarah Paulson has always been an insufferable narcissistic clout chaser, attention seeker and one note actress.

During election night for the 2016 presidential election she posted a photo of her hands tightly gripping a Hillary Clinton action figure on Instagram with the caption: "fingers crossed!"

by Anonymousreply 74May 21, 2024 9:03 AM

[quote]During election night for the 2016 presidential election she posted a photo of her hands tightly gripping a Hillary Clinton action figure on Instagram with the caption: "fingers crossed!"

Jesus! What a MONSTER!

by Anonymousreply 75May 21, 2024 9:30 AM

I’ve always gotten the impression that she’s just one of those really awkward people (see: Anne Hathaway) who don’t know how to naturally inject humor or personality into things so always fumble their attempts.

(Especially because I love her partner, Holland Taylor.)

She usually comes across as a try-hard. But I’ve never heard anything remotely negative about it from those in the biz.

by Anonymousreply 76May 21, 2024 10:13 AM

what is a “try hard” ?

by Anonymousreply 77May 21, 2024 3:40 PM

R77 someone who TRIES HARD.

by Anonymousreply 78May 21, 2024 3:48 PM

Ok…Why is it bad to TRY HARD?

by Anonymousreply 79May 21, 2024 3:50 PM

Because to Try Hard means to overcompensate for insecurities.

Why not be classy, and put forth the right vibe in the first place?

I think Sarah could have raised the topic about getting notes from the prior actress, but treated it like something sweet and charming, if a bit odd. Sarah and Trish would have both been elevated, and Sarah still wouldn't have needed to take Trish seriously. This would also achieve the result of check-mating her mother.

A try hard is very busy focusing on the overcompensation factor, rather than being classy and winning at life.

by Anonymousreply 80May 21, 2024 4:23 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!