Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Judi Dench on trigger warnings: if you’re that sensitive, avoid the theatre

A Datalounge heroine to the last.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31May 14, 2024 1:38 PM

Unless its a Judy Dench full nude scene I dont need no stinkin trigger warnings.

by Anonymousreply 1May 14, 2024 4:53 AM

She’s a national treasure!

by Anonymousreply 2May 14, 2024 4:57 AM

It's pretty easy to ignore trigger warnings in the theatre (harder on radio), but it's impossible to ignore miking.

by Anonymousreply 3May 14, 2024 4:57 AM

The kind of conservatives who whine about trigger warnings don't go to the theater.

by Anonymousreply 4May 14, 2024 5:00 AM

[quote][bold] Judi Dench on trigger warnings: if you’re that sensitive, avoid the theatre.[/bold]

Okay, Boomer.

by Anonymousreply 5May 14, 2024 5:15 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 14, 2024 5:23 AM

Joke's on her, I avoid the theatre already. The smugness of that whole world and everything connected to it has always been completely unappealing to me.

by Anonymousreply 7May 14, 2024 5:27 AM

I imagine she is being tongue in cheek and witty. Because those little corny warnings shouldn’t offend anyone and don’t take up too much time. There is probably even a legal aspect to them in today’s lawsuit ridden world. She is probably being funny like “hello dont go to the theater if you that mafuckin sensitive” and she’s right.

by Anonymousreply 8May 14, 2024 5:40 AM

Wow, you really showed her, r7.

by Anonymousreply 9May 14, 2024 6:10 AM

She looks like a piglet.

by Anonymousreply 10May 14, 2024 6:19 AM

Perfect companion to her being far up the British Royal Family's arses. What a Tory cunt she's turned out to be.

by Anonymousreply 11May 14, 2024 8:10 AM

Anyone on DL read her new book about Shakespeare?

by Anonymousreply 12May 14, 2024 8:20 AM

This dispute is the very definition of a tempest in a teapot.

by Anonymousreply 13May 14, 2024 8:35 AM

One hell of a dame.

by Anonymousreply 14May 14, 2024 8:37 AM

The full quote isn't really that objectionable. “Do they do that?” Dench said in an interview with the Radio Times. “My God, it must be a pretty long trigger warning before King Lear or Titus Andronicus!” The Oscar-winning actor, 89, added: “I can see why they exist, but if you’re that sensitive, don’t go to the theatre, because you could be very shocked. Where is the surprise of seeing and understanding it in your own way?”

by Anonymousreply 15May 14, 2024 8:44 AM

I clicked trigger warning link for a new play and was informed about spoilers for incest and suicide.

Thanks for the spoilers, assholes. And I didn’t bother watching it.

by Anonymousreply 16May 14, 2024 8:54 AM

Good for her. Trigger warnings are absurd.

by Anonymousreply 17May 14, 2024 9:23 AM

The JLo of the acting world.

by Anonymousreply 18May 14, 2024 12:03 PM

R18 Is JLo no longer the JLo of the acting world. Or did you mean theater world?

by Anonymousreply 19May 14, 2024 12:06 PM

Wellr19, I said that because Judi does stage, film and television.

by Anonymousreply 20May 14, 2024 12:09 PM

Well, r19, I said that because Judi does stage, film and television.

by Anonymousreply 21May 14, 2024 12:10 PM

R15 It’s not objectionable at all. But like everything else in today’s world it is taken as having a hard stance about something rather than it being a part of a fluid conversation.

by Anonymousreply 22May 14, 2024 12:19 PM

R21 Is JLo no longer the JLo of the acting world?

It’s ok dear I guess you didn’t see it the first time and confused yourself.

by Anonymousreply 23May 14, 2024 12:21 PM

R23 JLO is the nothing burger in all that she does.

by Anonymousreply 24May 14, 2024 12:25 PM

I approve of this. Both the far right and far left --both groups that are so easily offended -- ought to stay home and argue with one another on social media while the normal people get to go out and enjoy life.

"Owning the Libs!" in one corner versus "I SAID, 'Good day to you, Sir.'"!

by Anonymousreply 25May 14, 2024 12:30 PM

R24 Is JLo no longer the JLo of the acting world?

by Anonymousreply 26May 14, 2024 12:31 PM

What she said is correct. If you need a trigger warning, stay at home.

Look, we all know people who have gone through horrific abuse....physical, sexual, verbal, and mental...who have been the victims of violent crimes. And those individuals would with therapy and like treatment prepare themselves to deal with their trauma for the rest of their lives. But trigger warnings are to assuage the feelings of overly sensitive types who confuse discomfort with panic.

Theatre, literature, art, and cinema should make us feel uncomfortable with a wide variety of experiences,, events, and emotions that they explore in their work.

by Anonymousreply 27May 14, 2024 12:41 PM

Triggers are a real and difficult thing to manage for people with PTSD. Unfortunately, the world is full of idiots and the word has been appropriated for culture war nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 28May 14, 2024 12:47 PM

Gen Z on Reddit is calling her ABLEIST for this quote. Because she clearly doesn’t understand their PTSD and need for trigger warnings.

by Anonymousreply 29May 14, 2024 12:52 PM

Judi Dench is correct, Ironically though, most of the people cheering her on and clamouring to agree with her are wrong about almost everything else in life

by Anonymousreply 30May 14, 2024 1:26 PM

Troublemaker.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31May 14, 2024 1:38 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!