Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Life With Lucy- Episode One - 1986

Gale Gordon looks quite ghostly here.

Datalounge people please make some choice comments about this show.

Wait- Isn't Jenny Lewis the little bitch who tried to blackmail Rose on the Golden Girls?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35May 17, 2024 1:00 AM

[quote]Datalounge people please make some choice comments about this show.

Horrible show.

'Nuff said - thread closed.

by Anonymousreply 1May 13, 2024 10:54 PM

I always found Gale Gordon to be unwatchable, Lucy should have teamed up with John Ritter, now that would have been fun.

by Anonymousreply 2May 13, 2024 10:58 PM

Such a trite, by the numbers show that tipped the scales from “Fanily Friendly” into total corn.

The episode where they hire a goose to guard their store- because of course they did-sounds ghastly.

by Anonymousreply 3May 14, 2024 12:19 AM

I remember watching part of an episode where she’s stuck on a vibrating chair and the audiences was in hysterics but it wasn’t all that funny.

by Anonymousreply 4May 14, 2024 12:20 AM

I remember watching it and being horrified and sad.

by Anonymousreply 5May 14, 2024 12:21 AM

It wasn’t the worst thing ever to be on TV. There’s Fox News & C-Span. The Queer as Folk reboot. Dust.

by Anonymousreply 6May 14, 2024 12:24 AM

Captain and Tenille.

by Anonymousreply 7May 14, 2024 12:41 AM

Where was Gary when she needed him?!

by Anonymousreply 8May 14, 2024 12:47 AM

Just an unfunny as I remember it. As a wise woman once told Lucy, it was ghastly. Just ghastly!

by Anonymousreply 9May 14, 2024 1:51 AM

Unfortunately, Gary did talk her into this one.

by Anonymousreply 10May 14, 2024 2:17 AM

I loved Lucy, but this was a stinking turd!

by Anonymousreply 11May 14, 2024 3:03 AM

This series broke my 14 year old hormonal heart, I seriously balled for two day straight when it was cancelled.

by Anonymousreply 12May 14, 2024 3:14 AM

Is that Eydie Gourmet singing the theme song?

by Anonymousreply 13May 14, 2024 3:32 AM

Worse: Alf; Benson; Diff'rent Strokes; Webster...

by Anonymousreply 14May 14, 2024 3:40 AM

The last produced (and thankfully unaired) episode has to be seen to be believed. Lucy enters a talent show, giving a (MAUDLIN!) dramatic reading of "Sunrise, Sunset." Audiences' last impression of Lucy when she was alive was almost that of a self-pitying old lady lamenting her imminent death.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15May 14, 2024 3:47 AM

"I seriously balled for two day straight when it was cancelled."

Whom did you ball, dear?

by Anonymousreply 16May 14, 2024 3:49 AM

He balled over Ball.

by Anonymousreply 17May 14, 2024 3:51 AM

O my god, did that ever STINK!

by Anonymousreply 18May 14, 2024 4:19 AM

John Ritter did an episode in tribute to her physical comedy skills, but those were 30 years behind her.

It didn't help that they surrounded her by the blandest cast ever.

by Anonymousreply 19May 14, 2024 4:32 AM

R19- Maybe so there was no threat of anyone upstaging her.

by Anonymousreply 20May 15, 2024 1:16 PM

Caricature of herself. Pass.

by Anonymousreply 21May 15, 2024 1:25 PM

Her voice on this show was more ASHTRAY then ever.

by Anonymousreply 22May 15, 2024 1:29 PM

At her age, she should have moved on to more verbal comedy -with a cast of quirky and interesting people who would expose Lucy to new situations, letting her react in her own comic way. You can't laugh at a 70-something doing pratfalls! Put her back in Carter's Unique Employment Agency -but make her the boss. Give her a couple of young assistants, and let Lucy come up with creative solutions to employment problems for guest stars. She would have become an icon for a younger generation, nurturing new talent rather than a vanity project for an unchecked ego.

by Anonymousreply 23May 15, 2024 6:01 PM

R13, Her daughter Lucie wrote and recorded what she thought would be the opening theme, but they went with another song and Eydie.

by Anonymousreply 24May 15, 2024 6:27 PM

This was ABC's answer to 'The Golden Girls'. They saw what a ratings hit NBC had on their hands with older actresses Bea Arthur and Betty White, so they talked Lucy into doing this shit. They forgot they needed good scripts and good supporting players along with the elderly actress.

by Anonymousreply 25May 15, 2024 9:33 PM

[quote]Her daughter Lucie wrote and recorded what she thought would be the opening theme, but they went with another song and Eydie.

"GARY! That damn daughter actually wrote and recorded a THEME SONG for my new show! I told her and Larry to stick to Broadway and leave Hollywood to me. Christ! Call Steve and Eydie and see if she'll do me a favor last minute. I don't have time for this. WHERE ARE MY CIGARETTES?"

by Anonymousreply 26May 16, 2024 12:19 AM

Ann Dusenberry really had it all, talent, looks, charisma, she was a revelation in Jaws II and then gave the definitive performance of Amy March in Little Women and should have been the second coming of Kim Novak but her career stalled. Very few people can overshadow Lucy but Ann did that very thing in this show!

by Anonymousreply 27May 16, 2024 12:21 AM

If anything, ABC should have talked Aaron Spelling into bringing Lucy to the cast of 'Dynasty' or 'The Colbys'. She could've played Krystle's mother and done her 'slapstick comedy' when she and Linda Evans got into a cat fight.

by Anonymousreply 28May 16, 2024 11:59 AM

[quote]If anything, ABC should have talked Aaron Spelling into bringing Lucy to the cast of 'Dynasty' or 'The Colbys'. She could've played Krystle's mother and done her 'slapstick comedy' when she and Linda Evans got into a cat fight.

"Oh, Blake! WAAAAH!"

by Anonymousreply 29May 16, 2024 7:02 PM

I would love to have seen Lucy do the spider reaction after taking a sip of Alexis' burnt champagne.

by Anonymousreply 30May 16, 2024 11:48 PM

Scary old Lucy could have been a fabulous Miss Hannigan.

by Anonymousreply 31May 16, 2024 11:58 PM

this show is funny like an unwanted cum blast in your eye

by Anonymousreply 32May 17, 2024 12:01 AM

She really would have been terrifying as Miss Hannigan, a frustrated, angry drunk who hated little girls would probably as close to real-life Lucy as any character she ever played.

by Anonymousreply 33May 17, 2024 12:01 AM

Forget Miss Hannigan. Can you imagine her as Mrs. Lovett??

by Anonymousreply 34May 17, 2024 12:23 AM

oh god now imagine her as Mame.

by Anonymousreply 35May 17, 2024 1:00 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!