Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Question to Americans and British and Australians and any English speakers. Can you hear a Canadian accent?

I am not talking about the stereotype of Bob and Doug Mackenzie of the Great White North from SCTV, eh. But more subtle things like pronunciation of “process”. Pah-sta (Am) vs Past-ah(Cn). About vs aboot.

I can spot it a mile away on tv presenters. They usually try to hide it but it inevitably slips.

Can you hear it, or am I hypersensitive?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88May 15, 2024 10:37 PM

I notice it whenever I'm visiting my mom and she is watching those cheesy Hallmark movies that are filmed in Canada.

by Anonymousreply 1May 13, 2024 9:06 PM

Oot.

Aboot.

Zed.

Toronno.

Fill Yer Boots.

Your Worship.

Toque.

by Anonymousreply 2May 13, 2024 9:19 PM

I have a friend born in Ontario and raised there until he was 10. I still hear something of an accent on occasion, but when I'm around his mom, I really hear hers.

On a related note, having studied French, I can usually tell pretty quickly when someone is speaking Canadian-French.

by Anonymousreply 3May 13, 2024 9:33 PM

Against

Process

Sorry

News

by Anonymousreply 4May 13, 2024 9:39 PM

I left Toronto for the US seven years ago. I hear the accent more and more when I go home now.

Definitely in western Canada but even in Toronto which has a different, less stereotypical accent.

by Anonymousreply 5May 13, 2024 9:40 PM

R3 it’s Québécois French, not “Canadian-French.”

by Anonymousreply 6May 13, 2024 9:45 PM

I'm very sensitive to it, having spent about 10 years in Buffalo and having a Canadian boyfriend for about 2 years during that time.

I can spot it within just a few words. Most people I know can't - and don't - hear in California. It's pretty glaring to me when it comes out of the mouths of actors or presenters.

by Anonymousreply 7May 13, 2024 9:54 PM

I can hear the Canadian accent and it is not charming,

by Anonymousreply 8May 13, 2024 9:58 PM

I watch a lot of Wisconsin police videos and they pronoun "down" as 'dah-wooon'.

by Anonymousreply 9May 13, 2024 10:07 PM

I find the Canadian accent eardrum shredding!

I hate it.

Get OOT!

by Anonymousreply 10May 14, 2024 12:25 AM

The kids on “You Can’t Do That on Television” in the 80s had very identifiable Canadian accents. The way they would say certain words were different.

by Anonymousreply 11May 14, 2024 12:35 AM

It's noticable when I visit Vancouver but less noticable when I watch Canadians actors on TV. I think actors tone it down a lot. It's a silly accent.

by Anonymousreply 12May 14, 2024 12:35 AM

"Project" is a dead giveaway for me.

Also, "washroom."

There are probably others I can't think of now, but I spent a lot of time in Ontario as a kid, and I can hear an Ontario accent a mile away.

I assume the western provinces are different.

by Anonymousreply 13May 14, 2024 12:40 AM

I don't find it grating. If anything, I find it sort of relaxing...good to go to sleep to. Not a lot of expression to it, just sort of monotonous and boring. Precise.

by Anonymousreply 14May 14, 2024 12:42 AM

[quote]monotonous and boring

Much like Canadians.

by Anonymousreply 15May 14, 2024 12:44 AM

Yes. It's kind of like a dorkier version of the American midwest accent.

by Anonymousreply 16May 14, 2024 12:46 AM

Sometimes but not always. I've traveled in Canada a bit and love the place. If you ever want a fabulous adventure, explore Nova Scotia.

by Anonymousreply 17May 14, 2024 12:50 AM

I’m Canadian and I can tell if somebody is from Ontario

by Anonymousreply 18May 14, 2024 1:04 AM

I can hear it easily, and find it grating and irritating.

by Anonymousreply 19May 14, 2024 1:13 AM

Is there a distinct Nunavutian accent?

by Anonymousreply 20May 14, 2024 1:15 AM

[quote] I spent a lot of time in Ontario as a kid

Which grades were you there. I have a friend from Buffalo who spent grade 3 there.

by Anonymousreply 21May 14, 2024 1:16 AM

They do pronounce a few things different, some already mentioned. They also tend to put the emphasis of the word “Canada” itself on the “-da.” It’s not a big deal.

by Anonymousreply 22May 14, 2024 1:18 AM

My sister in law is Canadian so, yes.

by Anonymousreply 23May 14, 2024 1:19 AM

r21 just summers. My family had a cottage in Northern Ontario

by Anonymousreply 24May 14, 2024 1:22 AM

Yes, and I dislike that high pitched sing-song shit.

by Anonymousreply 25May 14, 2024 1:39 AM

I notice it. The Canadian accent gets more pronounced the further north you go. I once went to northern Ontario where the Canadian accent is or at least was, very strong. So much fun, because to the locals I was the one with my flat midwestern US pronounciationd, the one who had an accent. People lived to hear me talk just to hear my accent.

by Anonymousreply 26May 14, 2024 2:12 AM

Plenty of Canadians (both French and otherwise) are Florida snowbirds, so I've heard it often. It is a little grating, but the Anglo-Canadians have always been very nice to me, so there's that.

by Anonymousreply 27May 14, 2024 2:17 AM

I like the way they say "process" and "against."

I noticed, from a couple of Canadian YouTubers, that they say "similar-i-ly" instead of "similarly." I don't like that extra syllable.

by Anonymousreply 28May 14, 2024 4:21 AM

The Winnipeg accent makes me think a Chicagoan has found therapy. Everyone I’ve met from Toronto has had a much better sex life than me so who gives a fuck about that accent…I pick up something that sounds Norwegian around Vancouver.

by Anonymousreply 29May 14, 2024 4:28 AM

Newfoundland speech is its own thing

by Anonymousreply 30May 14, 2024 4:51 AM

I am Canadian we say both pass-ta and pah-sta so this word is not a dead giveaway.

by Anonymousreply 31May 14, 2024 5:16 AM

Once in a bar a drunk from "P.E.I." somehow thought I was too: "I can always tell a P.E.I.-ler!"

It was like listening to someone speaking Welsh.

by Anonymousreply 32May 14, 2024 5:16 AM

Ontario is a vast province, with many dialects. Just which Ontario accent do you imagine you recognize, R13? Durham county? Brant county? Southwestern Ontario? Northern Ontario? Ottawa Valley (gidday)? Tronno?

Do tell, you sound so knowledgeable.

by Anonymousreply 33May 14, 2024 5:33 AM

A dialect and an accent are two different things.

by Anonymousreply 34May 14, 2024 6:14 AM

Of course I can pick a Canadian accent! But then again, I’m not American, so I’m slightly more attuned to these differences.

by Anonymousreply 35May 14, 2024 6:45 AM

Eh??

by Anonymousreply 36May 14, 2024 7:31 AM

R35, are you a native English speaker? I ask because the differences between Canadian and American English are subtle. If you're comparing standard American and standard Canadian (that is, the accents you're mostly likely to hear from national news announcers), telling them apart is impressive for a non-native speaker.

Anyway, yes, as an American, I can spot a Canadian accent pretty quickly. I don't any feeling about it one way or the other. It's just a slight accent, like the accents of different regions in the USA minus the positive or negative regional associations. Sometimes, Canadian news announcers sound a bit prissy and precise, but ordinary Canadians don't seem to do that.

by Anonymousreply 37May 14, 2024 8:30 AM

It sounds insipid.

by Anonymousreply 38May 14, 2024 9:22 AM

Yes, R37, I am a native English speaker.

by Anonymousreply 39May 14, 2024 9:32 AM

Incidentally, the cutest boy I ever met was an Ontario boy who was visiting New England with his dad, an old friend of my stepfather.

They met in the '60s in NYC, where my stepdad grew up and where his bud relocated after college. Eventually, the friend went back to Canada, got married, and raised a family. But they kept in touch over the years.

Meanwhile, my stepdad moved to Massachusetts and met my mom in the early '90s, when I was in middle school. A few years later, his buddy and his son, who was around my age, visited for the first time.

My God, was he gorgeous! Dark hair, blue eyes, dimples, kissable lips, and the most adorable personality you just wanna squeeze! He just had a way of BEING that made you wanna go, "Aww!" I've never met anyone so endearing. Anyway, I thought his accent was very charming, especially when he'd pronounce "sorry" as "soar-ee."

Needless to say, I wanted to get into his pants, but he was more interested in my older sister, who, of course, liked him in return. I remember one night they drove off somewhere without telling me and left me behind. I was so livid and tried to give him the silent treatment afterward, to no avail. haha

by Anonymousreply 40May 14, 2024 10:28 AM

I went on a gay cruise 🚢 in July and I met a lot of people from Canada 🇨🇦 and assumed that they were American until they told me they were where they were from.

None had discernible Canadian accents.

by Anonymousreply 41May 14, 2024 11:54 AM

I can tell a Canadian accent but not immediately, I have to hear them talk for a while before I can pick up the differences. Most people here down under will assume American = Canadian are the same unless they are told the person is Canadian

by Anonymousreply 42May 14, 2024 12:56 PM

Accent and dialect are two different things.

by Anonymousreply 43May 14, 2024 1:03 PM

Every once in a while, you could hear the Canadian slip in when Eric McCormack was speaking on "Will & Grace."

by Anonymousreply 44May 14, 2024 1:03 PM

No shit R43–

by Anonymousreply 45May 14, 2024 1:14 PM

R31- How do you pronounce this word-- ORANGE

as AREnge or ORenge

by Anonymousreply 46May 14, 2024 1:33 PM

People from Ontario sound like hillbillies. They sound like asshole hillbillies around Toronto.

by Anonymousreply 47May 14, 2024 2:27 PM

Aboot.

by Anonymousreply 48May 14, 2024 2:28 PM

I know they're Canadian when they say something dumb.

by Anonymousreply 49May 14, 2024 2:29 PM

Anne Murray and her sexy lonely houswife videos are the best of Canada.

Who else could rock a fur coat roaming around Edmonton?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50May 14, 2024 2:36 PM

Yes. The way they pronounce the O syllable gives it away.

by Anonymousreply 51May 14, 2024 3:55 PM

I can listen to someone quite a while before realizing

by Anonymousreply 52May 14, 2024 3:59 PM

A Canadian accent is more like a small regional variation in an American Midwest accent than a foreign accent. It can vary even less than Chicago, or Wisconsin, or Minnesota.

by Anonymousreply 53May 14, 2024 4:02 PM

Canadian Uber

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54May 14, 2024 4:13 PM

As a Canadian, American accents are easy to spot.

by Anonymousreply 55May 14, 2024 5:47 PM

Eh?

by Anonymousreply 56May 14, 2024 6:56 PM

I can.

Interestingly, I got a call that went to voice mail. When I listened, the person said, you have a British guy for your incoming calls. I had changed Siri (iphone - YAY Apple, I have stock in them) and picked a man with a British accent. Just a tip if you want a man to welcome voice mail callers.

YAY Apple

by Anonymousreply 57May 14, 2024 7:10 PM

I’ve been to Vancouver and Montreal, and what I heard in those cities sounded exactly the same as a standard American accent, with the exception of just a few words that they put their own spin on - words that have been mentioned above.

by Anonymousreply 58May 14, 2024 7:35 PM

Ta-RAWN-oh.

by Anonymousreply 59May 14, 2024 7:41 PM

Even the Frenchies, r58?

by Anonymousreply 60May 14, 2024 7:48 PM

R57 I re-read your post several times and I have no idea what you're trying to say.

by Anonymousreply 61May 14, 2024 8:52 PM

R46, you left out the cross between AH and AW that cultivated Americans use. It's not AHHH-orange, like somebody from wrong part of Long Island, but it's not OHH-range or AWW-range, like somebody from the flyover states. There's no way to render the sound in phonetic English, but you know it when you hear it. It's like a drawled version of the clipped British way of saying "orange".

I assume cultivated Canadians say it the same way.

by Anonymousreply 62May 14, 2024 11:53 PM

I hear it in the different terms more than accent (I'm from Buffalo so I developed an ear for it early). Terms: Chesterfield (American sofa); washroom (American bathroom). Accent: Sorry, crap (more like "crop"). Here's an odd one -- a Canadian told me that you can always tell an American because they always have pretzels as snacks.

by Anonymousreply 63May 15, 2024 12:16 AM

Didn’t Anne Murray have an affair with Elvis?

by Anonymousreply 64May 15, 2024 12:19 AM

I have never heard any English speaker from any country pronounce "crap" like "crop".

by Anonymousreply 65May 15, 2024 12:23 AM

Really? I hear it distinctly when in Canada — possibly more akin to “crahp.” It was always considered a sure sign you’re talking to a Canadian. I don’t often hear “holy shit.”

by Anonymousreply 66May 15, 2024 1:27 AM

Americans are nicer. Canadians have really become assholes

by Anonymousreply 67May 15, 2024 2:03 AM

Canadians say “con-TROH-versy” instead of “controversy.”

by Anonymousreply 68May 15, 2024 2:21 AM

Back in the 60s-80s we Canadians noticed the Buffalo NY accent of our cousins. I probably exaggerate but Canada sounded like Keyanada. Then I noticed the same accent in Hamilton (heyamilton) Ontario.

I grew up as an anglo in Quebec so all other Canadians say I sound French but only when I pronounce French words correctly. But much like cities in The States, accents change from one neighborhood to another.

You can tell an Anglo Montrealer, they say Muntreal. Americans say Mawntreal.

by Anonymousreply 69May 15, 2024 2:25 AM

[quote]You can tell an Anglo Montrealer, they say Muntreal. Americans say Mawntreal.

The broad "a" sound is very common among New Englanders as well. I'm from CT and we pronounce "aunt" as "ont" and not "ant" like people in pretty much every other region of the US.

by Anonymousreply 70May 15, 2024 2:34 AM

Aboat gives it away.

by Anonymousreply 71May 15, 2024 2:34 AM

When I try to say it your way my face changes r71.

R70, at the same time, there are word pronunciations common to both Eastern Canada and New England, especially in Anglo "Muntreal" or maybe it's just my Jewish neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 72May 15, 2024 2:56 AM

Canadians say "Holy shit" a lot. At least I do. And I say "crap" like 'tap". It's a rapid fire. But "Holy shit" can be elongated for emphasis (cf. 'Ho-- leee shi--T).

by Anonymousreply 73May 15, 2024 2:57 AM

I say it too r73 but I extend the ho leeee part and look around for little kids before I say shit or crap. Then I say COW.

But my niece's little 6 year old has latched onto "bum crack! Tabernac!"

That's another thing. We say bum for backside.

by Anonymousreply 74May 15, 2024 3:11 AM

R74 Funny!! 🤣

by Anonymousreply 75May 15, 2024 3:12 AM

Ex, why, and zed.

by Anonymousreply 76May 15, 2024 4:32 AM

[quote]Canadians say “con-TROH-versy” instead of “controversy.”

R68 common down under too, NZ and Australia

by Anonymousreply 77May 15, 2024 4:41 AM

All of those backward places!

by Anonymousreply 78May 15, 2024 5:55 AM

I honestly see no difference between Americans and Canadians, except for maybe a minor difference in the way some words are pronounced.

In fact, I think that the cultural and accent differences are more distinct between American Northerners and Southerners, than between American Northerners and Canadians.

Culturally, American Southerners are very different from the rest of Canada and the US.

by Anonymousreply 79May 15, 2024 5:59 AM

As a native Californian, I was asked several times if I was from Canada. I felt very flattered. I didn't know there was a difference. Now maybe I'll go on YouTube and have a listen.

by Anonymousreply 80May 15, 2024 6:11 AM

I couldn't even begin to tell you what kind of accent Canadian Ryan Gosling has.

It's all over the place.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81May 15, 2024 7:31 AM

[quote]Didn’t Anne Murray have an affair with Elvis?

Yes, while they were filming "Viva Vancouver!".

by Anonymousreply 82May 15, 2024 7:47 AM

I’m a Canadian who is always asked by other Canadians if I’m American. I have no idea what they’re hearing

by Anonymousreply 83May 15, 2024 2:07 PM

A funny line I heard on a British TV show:

Person 1: (Upon hearing the other person speak): "So, what part of the States are you from?"

Person 2: The Canadian part.

by Anonymousreply 84May 15, 2024 2:51 PM

If anyone watches the new Netflix doc about Ashley Madison, it will be an ear shocker of Canadian accent. Just warning you, or advising you if you want to hear it.

by Anonymousreply 85May 15, 2024 7:13 PM

Funny line from Guy Fieri at the end of one of his DDD shows, where they usually show a comedy clip at the end of every episode.

Guy was visiting a restaurant in Toronto, and the chef made a turkey burger sandwich with stuffing and cranberry sauce, which the chef said was reminiscent of Thanksgiving.

Guy asked, "You guys have Thanksgiving up here?" And the chef replied, "Yes, but it's earlier than the American Thanksgiving."

Guy then said, "What are you thankful for?"

And before the chef could answer, Guy replied "For being next to us?"

Lol.

by Anonymousreply 86May 15, 2024 7:18 PM

[quote]Didn’t Anne Murray have an affair with Elvis?

Since Elvis had a penis it's highly unlikely.

by Anonymousreply 87May 15, 2024 9:29 PM

Jim Carrey talks about Canada in early stand-up.

It's not on this clip, but he used to say that when his family was homeless and living out of their van, he (as a Canadian) just thought they were camping.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88May 15, 2024 10:37 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!