Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Which non-US country would be good to move to?

America is going down hill fast. Where can an old ancient white faegolo like me retire to and be safe?

by Anonymousreply 159June 7, 2024 3:17 AM

Believe it or not Uruguay was rated highly by International Living.

by Anonymousreply 1May 13, 2024 8:15 PM

Slovenia.

by Anonymousreply 2May 13, 2024 8:21 PM

Belarus

by Anonymousreply 3May 13, 2024 8:25 PM

I'm hearing good things about North Korea, OP.

by Anonymousreply 4May 13, 2024 8:27 PM

Darfur!

by Anonymousreply 5May 13, 2024 8:27 PM

Don't even think of Canada, you'll never get enough points at your age.

by Anonymousreply 6May 13, 2024 8:29 PM

Iran! Sharia law is really in right now.

by Anonymousreply 7May 13, 2024 8:30 PM

Palestine

by Anonymousreply 8May 13, 2024 8:30 PM

Djibouti

by Anonymousreply 9May 13, 2024 8:31 PM

We'll simply take control, as you disappear...

by Anonymousreply 10May 13, 2024 8:32 PM

I would love to move to England, but I think you have to prove that a UK company wants you and there's not a UK worker that can do what you do. Not sure about retired people.

by Anonymousreply 11May 13, 2024 8:38 PM

Russia.

by Anonymousreply 12May 13, 2024 8:47 PM

I like Chile very much. Argentina could be great, but the economy is a mess and I doubt things will improve in the near future. Uruguay is too expensive and boring for my taste. But I do think the southern cone is going to be the best place to be if WWIII breaks out.

by Anonymousreply 13May 13, 2024 8:58 PM

[quote]Slovenia.

Another vote for Slovenia: unspoiled beauty, friendly people, and most people speak English.

by Anonymousreply 14May 13, 2024 8:59 PM

South Pacific somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 15May 13, 2024 9:15 PM

[quote]Uruguay is too expensive

That's what I heard as well, R13. And as soon as I heard someone on YouTube say that Costa Rica is a Third World country with First World prices, I ruled that out as well, even though I know someone who will be moving there soon.

Right now, I'm researching Colombia. I want to go somewhere inexpensive where I can use/improve my horrible Spanish, and for me, Colombian Spanish is the easiest accent to understand. Plus you can pretty much choose the climate you want to live in. I actually had been thinking about Ecuador, but currently the government is basically in a shambles, so that's out.

I too read good things about Slovenia, but I don't want to go anywhere cold. I considered Portugal (I have a Portuguese neighbor) but I just don't want to learn a new language at this late date. [Yes, I know -- many Europeans speak English, but I don't want to be one of [italic]those[/italic] Americans.] Mexico upped the amount of passive monthly income/$ in savings for a retirement visa, so that's now out of the question for me.

If anyone has any ideas of somewhere somewhat warm I might be able to afford where nobody's going to burn down an old lesbian's apartment, feel free to mention it here. I've been wracking my brain for a year now and haven't settled on anything, so I'm open to suggestions.

Maybe Trump will go to his just reward and I won't have to worry about this...but I'm not holding my breath.

by Anonymousreply 16May 13, 2024 9:18 PM

How would that work? As a retiree won’t you need to rely on Medicare for at least part of your health insurance? Pretty sure they don’t take that in other countries.

by Anonymousreply 17May 13, 2024 9:19 PM

Is Jamaica safe?

by Anonymousreply 18May 13, 2024 9:22 PM

Google the cost of health care/insurance for expats in other countries, R17 -- that's what the internet is [italic]for[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 19May 13, 2024 9:23 PM

Neither Jamaica nor Colombia are safe.

by Anonymousreply 20May 13, 2024 9:24 PM

Not for gay people, R18 -- and I heard that directly from the mouth of my lesbian student from Jamaica.

by Anonymousreply 21May 13, 2024 9:25 PM

Do tell, R20 -- have you lived in/visited Colombia?

by Anonymousreply 22May 13, 2024 9:26 PM

fo sho Puerrrrto Rico is da place to be.

Not really US and not really not US.

by Anonymousreply 23May 13, 2024 9:26 PM

[quote] Is Jamaica safe?

Is Jamaica safe, that’s a good one, that’s funny.

by Anonymousreply 24May 13, 2024 9:27 PM

Why would any other country want you, OP?

by Anonymousreply 25May 13, 2024 9:30 PM

Well, after Trump is elected and the dollar tanks, no country will want us.

Vote blue, early and often.

by Anonymousreply 26May 13, 2024 9:37 PM

I’m thinking of going to Ireland for retirement. Just outside of Sligo. Have family and other relatives there, and the weather is decent. Plus I love my Guinness and Irish whiskey and a good pot of stew. Even though it’s not England, the fish and chips are above average and on par. Also, their retirement immigration process is not too bad.

by Anonymousreply 27May 13, 2024 9:48 PM

Aotearoa

by Anonymousreply 28May 13, 2024 9:50 PM

You are not going anywhere OP, hence your vague query with no details about your situation.

Senior lesbian on the other hand told us something about her circumstances. I think Columbia would be safe enough for a strong, smart single woman. If your main interest is learning the language then isn't a Spanish speaking country where you want to be?

I know the political situation in Ecuador isn't great at the moment but that can change quickly. There is a 76 year old single American woman who moved to Cuenca 5 years ago and still adores it. Crime is still low. Her website is 'travelnlass'. But the town is in the Andes so it's chilly, largely due to many homes not having heat. Space heaters are in your future.

by Anonymousreply 29May 13, 2024 9:58 PM

You Americans kill me with your complete lack of knowledge of the world around you.

by Anonymousreply 30May 13, 2024 10:01 PM

Malaysia, Montenegro, Portugal, Panama, Spain, Uruguay and Vietnam.

by Anonymousreply 31May 13, 2024 10:13 PM

[quote] I think Columbia would be safe enough for a strong, smart single woman.

Haven't you heard about all the student protests there? It's a shame to be paying that much for an Ivy League education and have it be disrupted.

by Anonymousreply 32May 13, 2024 10:17 PM

I agree, Aotearoa (New Zealand) sounds wonderful, and it has so many hunky Polynesian men.

by Anonymousreply 33May 13, 2024 10:25 PM

Chewy McNip wants to retire in Areola.

by Anonymousreply 34May 13, 2024 10:30 PM

I'm always thinking of getting the hell out and I keep an eye on UK real estate prices. They're better than here and long as you get a freehold and not in London

by Anonymousreply 35May 13, 2024 10:32 PM

We’re considering Ireland.

by Anonymousreply 36May 13, 2024 10:34 PM

R35 are you in your 80s? The UK will be under Sharia law within a decade.

by Anonymousreply 37May 13, 2024 10:35 PM

R16 LOL you think Biden or Trump or anyone else is going to stop the shitstorm brewing in this divided country? Delusional.

by Anonymousreply 38May 13, 2024 10:36 PM

The lurch toward the right isn’t a uniquely US phenomenon. It seems to be affecting most of the western (and industrialized eastern) world. Canada, most of South America, much of Europe, ANZ, Japan. Better to stay put and keep my head down, I think, than to press my luck moving to France or Ireland. Or Uruguay(?).

by Anonymousreply 39May 13, 2024 10:58 PM

R39 you must be joking. While there are definitely a few far right movements happening, most of Europe is being engulfed in extreme liberal policies that are flooding the countries with migrants and Orwellian censorship. You need to round out your news sources. CNN and NPR aren’t giving you the full story.

by Anonymousreply 40May 13, 2024 11:02 PM

[quote] Better to stay put and keep my head down

It's not a problem if you don't look up

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41May 13, 2024 11:04 PM

Who’s this Sharia chick and why does she have laws?

by Anonymousreply 42May 13, 2024 11:09 PM

Was considering the UK, but can only stay in the country for 180 days in a calendar year. I've long dreamed of having a flat in London. We would have to live elsewhere the other half of the year.

I've also considering Portugal where we could qualify for a year-round retirement visa if you plunk down enough money. I do like Porto, and rental prices there seem affordable since I am used to US prices.

Two additional sites on my "short list" are Costa Rica and Croatia.

by Anonymousreply 43May 13, 2024 11:13 PM

The US will be under Sharia law pretty soon (rebranded as Christian Nationalism).

by Anonymousreply 44May 13, 2024 11:16 PM

Ms. Mulva @R30, I am happy to admit my ignorance, although in my defense, I am more aware than the average American (sad but true).

So please educate me more. I spent five years in grad school FT back when college was actually difficult, so I obviously love to learn. Point me to the latest research (keeping in mind that I only have 12 or so hours a day available for further ruining my eyes) and I will be more than happy to educate myself.

Of course, travel is the best education for this sort of thing, but I really don't have much money. So if you can see your way clear to subsidize my travel expenses (and babysit my little dog), I'll hop on a plane tomorrow (as long as it's not a Boeing!).

Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 45May 13, 2024 11:18 PM

I have relatives in Colombia. Ones with money. Even they only go out to certain parts of town, and their grocery stores have armoured guards.

Oh yeah, and the occasional Colombian/American/ Tourist is still kidnapped once in a while if they go to far afield.

by Anonymousreply 46May 13, 2024 11:19 PM

R46, I'm sure more than a few US cities have armed guards at supermarkets.

by Anonymousreply 47May 13, 2024 11:23 PM

You’re sure? In which cities have you personally seen armed guards at supermarkets?

by Anonymousreply 48May 13, 2024 11:26 PM

[Quote] Believe it or not Uruguay

You’re a Gay? Of course you’d want to live there!!!

by Anonymousreply 49May 13, 2024 11:26 PM

Thanks, R46 -- what city?

by Anonymousreply 50May 13, 2024 11:28 PM

Ireland, but not Dublin as its expensive..but a town like Tullamore..or a seaside town like Wexford(tends to get the most sun too). Its English speaking, extremely friendly people and no matter where u live, Dublin is never more than 3 hours away. Plus u can pop to most of Europe very cheaply on Ryanair..about 80 euro. If u chose a hot tourist spot like Killarney, you'd meet American tourist every day.

by Anonymousreply 51May 13, 2024 11:29 PM

[quote] You’re a Gay? Of course you’d want to live there!!!

Rose, I’m a para-gay and will be competing for Paraguay at the next Paralympics!

by Anonymousreply 52May 13, 2024 11:34 PM

[quote] Plus u can pop to most of Europe very cheaply on Ryanair

Ewww. Don’t do that. It’s the European version of Spirit.

by Anonymousreply 53May 13, 2024 11:35 PM

[quote] but a town like Tullamore..or a seaside town like Wexford(tends to get the most sun too).

How are things in Glocca Morra?

by Anonymousreply 54May 13, 2024 11:37 PM

I’ve always fancied life in a northern town.

by Anonymousreply 55May 13, 2024 11:40 PM

R55, is that in North?

by Anonymousreply 56May 13, 2024 11:40 PM

Threads like this are useless.

by Anonymousreply 57May 13, 2024 11:42 PM

Last night, I dreamt I went to Manderley again.

by Anonymousreply 58May 13, 2024 11:43 PM

The white ones.

by Anonymousreply 59May 13, 2024 11:43 PM

my friend moved to Spain

by Anonymousreply 60May 13, 2024 11:44 PM

R57 and why are you here?

by Anonymousreply 61May 13, 2024 11:47 PM

mexico, seriously

by Anonymousreply 62May 13, 2024 11:48 PM

[ R2 ] Uruguay is great. There are not many Americans there yet and that is part of the reason. Pockets of old hippies and flat earths here and there but the scene is pretty much International. The worst are the Americans who want an escape but only speak English and get inconvenienced by and pissy about having to converse in non- English languages.

by Anonymousreply 63May 13, 2024 11:55 PM

The worst are the fundamentalist preachers. Third-grade con men telling the poor suckers that watch them that they speak with Jesus, and to please send in money. Money, money, money! If Jesus came back and saw what's going on in his name, he'd never stop throwing up.

by Anonymousreply 64May 13, 2024 11:58 PM

South America is a lot further than many realize.

by Anonymousreply 65May 14, 2024 12:05 AM

R48, Cali. But news from other relatives in Bogota is the same.

by Anonymousreply 66May 14, 2024 12:32 AM

Greece

by Anonymousreply 67May 14, 2024 12:36 AM

Coronation Street

by Anonymousreply 68May 14, 2024 1:43 AM

South America is rather large, and not a country.

by Anonymousreply 69May 14, 2024 3:00 AM

I’ve never been to me.

by Anonymousreply 70May 14, 2024 3:02 AM

1. Costa Rica. 2. Portugal - check out the D7 visa (for retirees or anyone with regular income from out of the country, like rentals). 3. Mexico. 4. Panama. 5. Spain. 6. Ecuador. 7. Greece. 8 Malaysia. 9. France. 10. Colombia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71May 14, 2024 3:09 AM

That list is from January - but I think Ecuador may have gone downhill. "Exercise increased caution in Ecuador due to civil unrest, crime, and kidnapping. Some areas have increased risk. Read the entire Travel Advisory."

I'd check on safety in Colombia as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72May 14, 2024 3:11 AM

Mexico: Mexico City or San Miguel de Allende. It’s close enough to the culture I’m already familiar with and flights are short enough to make it easy to come back if needed.

by Anonymousreply 73May 14, 2024 3:12 AM

Costa Rica is certainly a beautiful country. A married couple I know moved there from the US a few years ago. Their #1 reason was the lower-cost healthcare. They spent at least 2 years investigating and visited several times. Everything was going fine once they moved, until one of them needed a knee replacement. The incision became infected with antibiotic-resistant bacteria. She spent months in a hospital that had no air conditioning or fans. She almost had her leg amputated because it seemed like the only way to stop the infection from spreading. It was finally brought under control without amputation, but her leg was severely damaged. I saw her recently here in the US and almost cried seeing her struggle to go up stairs.

My friends don’t live in a major city like San Jose, and they say the roads are in terrible condition and have water-filled potholes. The traffic has to move so slowly that it can take hours to go relatively short distances. The internet service goes out almost daily. Bugs, bats, and other creatures are plentiful and difficult to keep out of the house. Certain bugs are so small they go through screens and can cover entire walls of a home until they decide to return to the outside. There are active volcanos that spew acidic ash. The coffee plants love it; human lungs, not so much.

Costa Rica is the #1 choice in the article posted by OP. What I’ve learned from my friends’ experiences is that it’s a good idea to live in a different country for a few months to know what it might be like to live there permanently. No matter how much reading you do and how many short visits you make there, you won’t know what it’s really like to live in a foreign country until you actually do it.

by Anonymousreply 74May 14, 2024 5:37 AM

Ireland is in the grip of a catastrophic housing crisis. A tiny one bedroom flat in Dublin rents at over 2000 EUR a month now, so, I wouldn't bother coming over until its fixed.

That said, if you're in New York City you can get a glimpse of vibrant Talbot Street through the new portal

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75May 14, 2024 5:48 AM

Some of the efforts to initiate intercontinental dialogue have been really heartwarming and creative.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76May 14, 2024 5:50 AM

A more serious suggestion: anywhere in former Yugoslavia. I stayed in Macedonia a couple of years ago and the place was full of digital nomads lazily and very affordably drifting through the Balkans. Not the most obvious tourist hotspot but you can have a good standard of living affordably, and the people are educated and open. Perhaps my DL Croatian friend will happen by to give his take on it.

by Anonymousreply 77May 14, 2024 5:53 AM

Correction: the article I mentioned above was posted by R71, not OP.

by Anonymousreply 78May 14, 2024 5:59 AM

[quote]Is Jamaica safe?

Absolutely not R18. Probably one of the most dangerous countries in the world for gay people, none too safe even for those that arent. Avoid

I've been to Uruguay, and it is indeed lovely. Argentina was pretty nice too, but then I was in the best part of Buenos Aires and didnt stray much outside tourist areas

Malaysia is surprisingly civilised for an Islamic country, the significant Chinese minority and others are a moderating influence

New Zealand where I'm from is pretty nice, but it is really expensive, and not crime free either. Motel room here in a small town costs more than a Hotel room in central Tokyo, and houses are not cheap even outside city centres either

by Anonymousreply 79May 14, 2024 11:59 AM

Just stay right here in the US. Move somewhere super cheap. A small college town where the weather is ok. You really can't live outside the US anymore unless you are rich.

by Anonymousreply 80May 14, 2024 2:25 PM

Mexico for me. Lots of ex-pats live there. The cost of living is fabulous. But hopefully my ass will be able to stay right here in North Carolina after Biden beats Agent Orange.

by Anonymousreply 81May 14, 2024 2:31 PM

Another really stupid post followed by equally stupid thread posts.

by Anonymousreply 82May 14, 2024 2:35 PM

R82 you mean: Another really stupid thread followed by equally stupid posts?

by Anonymousreply 83May 14, 2024 2:43 PM

I wish I knew, R61.

- R57

by Anonymousreply 84May 14, 2024 2:47 PM

About ten years ago I was considering Italy. I lived there as a child and spoke the language fluently then, so it wouldn't be too difficult to become proficient fairly quickly. However, the cost of living in the urban areas is very high. I was thinking of Abruzzo, but then I realized that public transportation outside of urban areas is not good, and there's no way I could drive in Italy. Living in Maryland you'd think I could tolerate aggressive drivers, but Italy is in a whole different class. And the political situation is scary, but then there's really no way to hide any more from the wave of fascism rolling over the world.

by Anonymousreply 85May 14, 2024 3:01 PM

[quote] You really can't live outside the US anymore unless you are rich.

I think you have that backwards. You can live well in many countries for a fraction of the price of the US. If you want to live in a decent area in the US and have a good quality of life, housing is going to be sky high and car ownership is a must. Food is expensive too.

by Anonymousreply 86May 14, 2024 3:28 PM

I'm planning to retire in Austria, as a nonworking resident. I already speak English AND German, so after the three-year waiting period, I could sit for long-term residency. Perhaps even citizenship someday!

by Anonymousreply 87May 14, 2024 3:37 PM

[quote] Perhaps even citizenship someday!

Yay! I’m so happy for you.

by Anonymousreply 88May 14, 2024 3:57 PM

[quote]I'm planning to retire in Austria

Servus, Grüezi und Hallo!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89May 14, 2024 4:06 PM

OP, there is no where for you to go. The rest of the English-speaking countries are overrun with Muslims and the far-Right is taking over. Your moving would only make things worse for you.

by Anonymousreply 90May 14, 2024 4:21 PM

[quote] Mexico for me.

You wish to live in squalor with gangs that will rip your limbs off with a political system completely corrupt. Nice.

by Anonymousreply 91May 14, 2024 4:22 PM

Australia

by Anonymousreply 92May 14, 2024 4:25 PM

God forbid an English speaker would ever go to a country where languages other than English are spoken. 🙄

by Anonymousreply 93May 14, 2024 4:26 PM

Spain. Very gay friendly and great weather.

by Anonymousreply 94May 14, 2024 4:41 PM

^^Another country I can't afford to retire in...

by Anonymousreply 95May 14, 2024 5:16 PM

England is a disastrous mess, R11. They’re in as much of a state as we are. Worse in some cases, especially with their economy.

by Anonymousreply 96May 14, 2024 5:20 PM

R95 Most of Spain is cheaper than big parts of the US, you tightwad!

by Anonymousreply 97May 14, 2024 5:22 PM

No, R97, it's not that. I'd love to go to Spain, and for awhile, I thought I would. But they set levels of cash you have to have in the bank as well as a passive income level (SS + pension), and I am a bit short of that level. Nice try.

Feel free to support me, though!

by Anonymousreply 98May 14, 2024 5:27 PM

Mexico City is quite literally sinking into the ground at the rate of a foot a year R73, because of catastrophic lack of water and overuse of groundwater. They’re headed for a major resource crisis that no one will be able to help them with. They’re also at the foot of an active volcano. That combined with constant civil unrest countrywide and what seems like an incompetent and dangerous government would keep any sane person away.

by Anonymousreply 99May 14, 2024 5:28 PM

I'm going by reading articles like this...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100May 14, 2024 5:38 PM

Siam

by Anonymousreply 101May 14, 2024 5:52 PM

Apparently Belize isn't so bad. One US dollar buys two Belizean.

by Anonymousreply 102May 14, 2024 6:05 PM

"non-us country" 😵‍💫

??? This is clumsy. Since an American posted this, isn't every other country a "non-us" country?

by Anonymousreply 103May 14, 2024 6:14 PM

Switzerland or Ireland.

by Anonymousreply 104May 14, 2024 6:16 PM

R102? Belize is another country where they hate gay people. That's one I checked out a long time ago.

by Anonymousreply 105May 14, 2024 6:30 PM

Former British possessions in the Caribbean and Africa often have strict anti-sodomy laws and corresponding social attitudes.

by Anonymousreply 106May 14, 2024 6:33 PM

[quote]Apparently Belize isn't so bad. One US dollar buys two Belizean.

They still have slavery?

by Anonymousreply 107May 14, 2024 7:01 PM

R102, Belize is gorgeous, but the capital city is quite dangerous. One of the places where I always felt like I had to look over my shoulder.

by Anonymousreply 108May 14, 2024 7:03 PM

Can someone tell me how much it costs for retirement visas in some of the countries mentioned?

by Anonymousreply 109May 14, 2024 7:51 PM

You could show some initiative and Google the information for yourself. You’ll need that kind of initiative when you retire to another country, R109.

by Anonymousreply 110May 14, 2024 8:33 PM

oh Auntie Em.... There's NO place like home!

by Anonymousreply 111May 14, 2024 9:04 PM

Friends who live in Portugal and another friend from Portugal who lives in the US tell me we’re no longer so welcome there.

The influx of folks from the U.S. (including both retirees and remote workers) during and since COVID has apparently made housing for locals unaffordable all over the country, not only in Lisbon.

Dining out and shopping have also become costlier. No, of course that’s not entirely down to the recent arrivals. But it’s a huge factor. (Or at least seen as a driving force.)

by Anonymousreply 112May 14, 2024 9:22 PM

R112 foreign countries with Americans are blaming everything on white American expats now. Blame whitey is the cool thing to do now.

by Anonymousreply 113May 14, 2024 9:27 PM

[quote] foreign countries with Americans are blaming everything on white American expats now.

Examples?

I'm pretty sure it's just Americans in general, specifically digital nomads who come in a variety of American shapes and colors.

by Anonymousreply 114May 14, 2024 9:29 PM

[quote] foreign countries with Americans are blaming everything on white American expats now. Blame whitey is the cool thing to do now.

So the Portuguese, who inhabit a European nation, are blaming white American expats?

by Anonymousreply 115May 14, 2024 9:34 PM

Atlantis

by Anonymousreply 116May 14, 2024 9:34 PM

Find a few friends and buy a small town that is dying. Entice either the new Nomad class or remote workers to stay for short to long stints. Make it fun and affordable. Look how much fun they had in Schitt's Creek. The problem is we all want to find a cheap place where everything is perfect, easy and open minded. Make your own places in this world. Form community. We have forgotten the strength we have when we team up with people rather than all trying to fight life's challenges alone.

by Anonymousreply 117May 14, 2024 9:35 PM

R113- In Spain they DEFINITELY dislike the British far more than the dislike Americans.

by Anonymousreply 118May 14, 2024 9:35 PM

R115, they're not. R113 is talking out of his ass and has some need to feel victimized.

by Anonymousreply 119May 14, 2024 9:37 PM

I think Norway, Sweden or Denmark. Maybe The Netherlands? Because with Climate Change you don't want to be too far south. They have good healthcare and they're stable. So that's where I'd go.

by Anonymousreply 120May 14, 2024 9:39 PM

Good luck in The Netherlands, R120, where 26% of the country is below sea level.

Climate change and rising water levels don’t just start between specific latitudes - ice and snow are melting at both poles.

by Anonymousreply 121May 14, 2024 9:47 PM

R121, I think R120 wants both the pole AND the hole.

by Anonymousreply 122May 14, 2024 9:54 PM

There's no answer to your question, OP, rather there are scores if answers to your question, or a few if you narrowed what you want and what you offer.

A quick search online will turn up thousands of hits.

Retired?

Rich?

Able to qualify as financially self-sufficient and to afford medical insurance (usually a small fraction of comparable cost in the U.S.)?

Independently employed & able to work from anywhere in the world?

Looking for employment in a new country?

Do you have career qualifications that are sought after in other countries?

What languages do you speak (and are you willing to learn a new language with reasonable fluency)?

Are you eligible for any citizenship based on your family heritage (parents, grandparents, sometimes more distant ancestors)?

Every country has its own rules, different types of visas and residency permits, different citizenship requirements (if it comes to that). Each has its own degrees and quirks of bureaucracy. Each country has its own general tone of openness to accepting foreigners in the short and long terms. And each has different criteria that must be met for each type of entrance or residency permit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123May 14, 2024 10:52 PM

I agree about life in college towns. I lived in Columbia, Missouri for several years. There was a youthful vibe all over the city. There are lots of cultural entities that provide entertainment. I took a class at Mizzou, just for the hell of it. You can get from one end of the city to the other in about ten minutes. I rode my bicycle everywhere. The young men at the bars are well-dressed and pumped up. They are looking to get laid, and when they strike out, and with a little persuasion, they sometimes take a walk on the wild side.

Try Iowa City, IA; Lawrence, KS; Bloomington, IN; State College, PA; Charlottesville, VA; Chapel Hill, NC; Athens, OH; Missoula, MT; Eugene, OR. That's just the start. I would be shocked if you didn't consider moving to one of these cities after visiting and talking to residents.

by Anonymousreply 124May 14, 2024 11:47 PM

E123 Mexico is number one on your list. Guess I was right.

by Anonymousreply 125May 14, 2024 11:48 PM

OP, there is a great big jolly Youtube queen who swears that Malaysia can make all your retirement dreams come true!

by Anonymousreply 126May 15, 2024 12:08 AM

There are some nice rich people enclaves in Guatemala.

by Anonymousreply 127May 15, 2024 1:12 AM

[quote]Good luck in The Netherlands, [R120], where 26% of the country is below sea level.

Better than the US, where 26% of the population has an IQ below the "Moron" level.

by Anonymousreply 128May 15, 2024 2:13 AM

What about Urmomistan? 🥁

by Anonymousreply 129May 15, 2024 2:31 AM

[quote]R123 Mexico is number one on your list. Guess I was right

I included that list only because it addresses sine of the major requirements and means of moving to those countries. A Google search will steer you to hundreds of such lists, many without Mexico in their top 6, top 10, top 15, top 24, whatever. The results are all over the place, but the process or requirements of moving to another country was what I was looking for in s list, not a ranking of best and worst because that's entirely variable by personal situation.

by Anonymousreply 130May 15, 2024 3:53 AM

I guess so, R128. As I’m neither Dutch nor American your point is moot.

by Anonymousreply 131May 15, 2024 4:09 AM

What I find amusing about this and similar threads is that so many of you assume that the countries to which you aspire to emigrate are just waiting with open arms for you because you’re American.

It doesn’t work that way. But good luck moving to Ireland because their fish and chips are almost as good as England’s. Or to that hitherto unknown country called “South Pacific”. But not Slovenia because it’s cold. Or Uruguay because it’s boring.

As always, I’d love to see the majority of you identify your target country on a map. After first having acquired a passport enabling you to visit said country.

by Anonymousreply 132May 15, 2024 4:22 AM

Have you considered Thailand, r16? You can buy a nice condo in Bangkok for 50-100k. A meal at a decent restaurant will cost you $12. It's an authoritarian country though.

I haven't been to the Philippines but it's also a warm country with a low cost of living.

by Anonymousreply 133May 15, 2024 4:44 AM

R132 it's very possible to move to another country if you have no intention of working and don't care about pursuing full citizenship. Plenty of American retirees live in Mexico. You sound like a total cunt.

by Anonymousreply 134May 15, 2024 5:17 AM

I’m a “total cunt” for pointing out the obvious, R134? You sound like an American.

Enjoy Mexico, if you ever get to visit.

by Anonymousreply 135May 15, 2024 6:37 AM

[quote]What I find amusing about this and similar threads is that so many of you assume that the countries to which you aspire to emigrate are just waiting with open arms for you because you’re American.

Open arms, R132? There's no welcome committee anywhere in the world that I'm aware of. And who the fuck would think that being American would extend special privileges of emigration?

But is is very possible for many people, as R134 notes. First step: learn about the process generally and then investigate the policies of particular countries. Granted, these first steps are better done via Google than asking wide-open questions about "Where can I move?" without providing any details.

All depends on matching your circumstances against the various options available for different countries. Money, ancestry, working from home, retirement, need to work, work skills, interest in learning and/or teaching language, criminal background, health insurance...any simple combination of these can be the key, depending on which country you consider for emigration.

[quote]As always, I’d love to see the majority of you identify your target country on a map. After first having acquired a passport enabling you to visit said country.

The chorus of "just stay where you are, you miserable old twat, nobody wants you" resounds in nearly every such thread, but the message is ridiculous. Yes people ask the question absent any real intention if following through, but it is is quite possible for many people

by Anonymousreply 136May 15, 2024 6:59 AM

Kevin Sessums

by Anonymousreply 137May 15, 2024 7:14 AM

r120 when the Gulf Stream stops in a few years, Northern Europe will enter an Ice Age.

by Anonymousreply 138May 15, 2024 7:24 AM

The Philippines? Belize?

Gross. Hot weather, monsoon-season jungles, crooked governments, more mosquitoes than child prostitutes, and a tacky-ass local population that'd suck a dick for a Diet Coke.

by Anonymousreply 139May 16, 2024 8:21 PM

[quote] and a tacky-ass local population that'd suck a dick for a Diet Coke.

Don't threaten DLers with a good time!

by Anonymousreply 140May 16, 2024 8:50 PM

France, without a question the only place I would go.

by Anonymousreply 141May 16, 2024 9:42 PM

The UK, Germany, France and the Benelux countries are not good places on planning a future. They are so fucked, while most indigenous people there are in complete denial about what their elected officials have done.

by Anonymousreply 142May 21, 2024 3:49 PM

If I had to leave my country and I could move anywhere without restrictions I'd choose New Zealand.

However, it's hard to get into (tough immigration rules) and it's very expensive. But -- as with most things in life -- probably possible if you put the effort in.

by Anonymousreply 143May 21, 2024 4:05 PM

I already got out after the 2004 election. Enjoy your dystopia.

by Anonymousreply 144May 21, 2024 5:45 PM

I left the US in the middle of Trump's first presidency. Not because of Trump, but what a happy fucking coincidence.

by Anonymousreply 145May 21, 2024 7:13 PM

R144 & R145 -- where are you? Was it difficult to get in? Is it expensive to live there? Are you happy about where you landed?

TIA

by Anonymousreply 146May 21, 2024 8:32 PM

I'm going to Canada. My sister has dual citizenship in the UK and she can get us in.

by Anonymousreply 147May 21, 2024 10:38 PM

R146: I live in Spain. It was quite easy for me because I have EU citizenship and my husband is from here (much, much easier than when he got residency in the US.)

But without my advantages, Southern Europe is fairly easy for a US citizen to obtain residency by way of various visas. Especially so if you can work from home for an company in another country, or can demonstrate a basic level of financial self-sufficiency and health insurance coverage (a fraction of the cost of US insurance.) Expenses are much lower, more or less proportional to lower salaries. I love it here and couldn't be happier with having moved, and not for reasons of politics or money but for the pleasure every day of living here.

by Anonymousreply 148May 22, 2024 12:06 AM

Europeans can be real stuck up sons of bitches to Americans.

by Anonymousreply 149May 22, 2024 12:14 AM

R148, I originally wanted to go to Spain because I speak a modicum of Spanish (i.e., I can get by when I have to), but the amount of $ they want you to have in the bank for a retirement visa is about 15K more than I currently have, and my "passive income" is only $2000/month.

Perhaps I'll rent out my place, because frankly, I'm not ready to sell it yet.

Thanks for your reply!

by Anonymousreply 150May 22, 2024 12:41 AM

[quote]and my "passive income" is only $2000/month.

So you're a professional bottom?

by Anonymousreply 151May 22, 2024 12:44 AM

R73 San Miguel Allende is full of expats. Wonderful restaurants and a decent local hospital. It's a 2 hour flight to DFW and relatively safe. There is even a VFW post due to all the soldiers who went to US supported language schools.

by Anonymousreply 152May 22, 2024 1:06 AM

I've heard Chile is nice, and that the men are a gorgeous mix of native peoples and Europeans. I once met a man from Chile on Haulover Beach. He was Mediterranean-complected with a thick cock, a huge dark brown bush and a nicely-hairy ass. His nipples were suckible, too. He was with his partner at the beach. I was so disappointed.

by Anonymousreply 153May 22, 2024 2:13 AM

Oh poor you, R149! How dreadful!

by Anonymousreply 154May 22, 2024 4:20 AM

It’s crazy when a move like North Dakota to Saskatchewan is so complicated. Who wants either?

by Anonymousreply 155May 22, 2024 4:21 AM

R150: On the requirements of passive income, I think there is leeway in the calculation, in that savings and assets not currently generating passive income (but which could) may be considered. This is the first link I found, so I'm sure there are better explanations. (If you've not already explored this)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156May 22, 2024 9:57 AM

Dallas. Hong Kong Market.

by Anonymousreply 157May 22, 2024 5:39 PM

A list of countries for the cost-conscious. The affordability if Portugal may be outdated/overestimated, in direct relation to its high degree of popularity

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158June 6, 2024 11:48 PM

I'm thinking about Switzerland. Tina Turner lived quietly and well in Switzerland. It's cold and it's up high in the mountains. So with rising seas levels and global warming I should be fine. I'd feel even better if all of you would eachsend me $,to make this happen. Y'all be sweet, now!

by Anonymousreply 159June 7, 2024 3:17 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!