Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The best of Annie Potts on Designing Women is kind of boring

The funniest parts of these clips are usually Suzanne, Charlene, and Julia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14May 14, 2024 11:42 AM

I watched a few episodes last year and it struck me how their values were old fashioned.

MariJo spent a lot of time debating sex with her gorgeous boyfriend. It was boring and milquetoast. Suzanne and Charlene were funny because they weren't perfect.

by Anonymousreply 1May 13, 2024 1:16 PM

R2 oh dear Mary Jo

by Anonymousreply 2May 13, 2024 1:17 PM

Her part on DW was not written to show off her comedy talents. And I have little doubt that once the series started the writers saw very quickly that 99% of the comedy was going to come from the Sugarbaker sisters, and Anthony. Mary Jo and Charlene were pretty much there as characters the 3 main comedy talents could play off of.. She really didn't show her comedy chops until Young Sheldon in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 3May 13, 2024 1:55 PM

Charlene was a riot. But as soon as MarJo mentioned Quint and Olivia,, I’d be out of there.

by Anonymousreply 4May 13, 2024 5:08 PM

Mary Jo wound up becoming the default 'straight women' comedically on the show despite the writer's and Pott's clear efforts to make MJ funny. Potts is very talented and very funny in other things, unfortunately MJ was just boring, in part because she was so normal. Julia was a bit too refined and intelligent so she could get laughs when pushed beyond the limit either with her lectures or responding emotionally to something one of the other women did, but MJ was an ordinary single mom and as Bonnie Franklin can tell you, it's tough to get laughs out of that type of character.

by Anonymousreply 5May 13, 2024 5:55 PM

No time at all...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 13, 2024 6:02 PM

[quote]and as Bonnie Franklin can tell you

Not anymore.

by Anonymousreply 7May 13, 2024 8:15 PM

She came in every other week with some fresh rant about how some "Northern" magazine journalist had written a piece insulting Southern women and Southern décor, and she'd do a few twitchy grand gestures in front of the sofa, and Julia would get so icily incensed that she'd pick up the desk phone and call said magazine to chew out the author.

Or she'd come in and bitch about her late alimony payment or her awful kids. Motherhood is such a sticky drag.

by Anonymousreply 8May 13, 2024 8:21 PM

How did such a mouseburger attract hunks like Ted and JD?

by Anonymousreply 9May 13, 2024 8:27 PM

I remember after DESIGNING WOMEN ended, she played Michelle Pfeiffer's part in the TV serial of DANGEROUS MINDS, which was canceled after one season.

by Anonymousreply 10May 13, 2024 8:29 PM

R10 It lasted a whole season?

by Anonymousreply 11May 13, 2024 8:36 PM

I remember Mary Jo ranting about teen girls singing along to a Whitney Houston song during the carpool to school, or some such shit. WTF was that all about?

by Anonymousreply 12May 13, 2024 9:05 PM

R11 it lasted 17 episodes.

The last one involved LouAnne being accused of molesting a student.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 14, 2024 11:15 AM

Potts is right up there with Kelly Ripa in the unbearable spoiled woman-little girl voice from hell category.

by Anonymousreply 14May 14, 2024 11:42 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!