Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Am I The Only One Who Didn’t Go to Prom?

My mother wasted money sending me to Catholic School over an hour away from where I lived. I had to get up at dawn and get into town to take an hour long ride on a public bus. Nobody from my town went to the same school. All our money went to the church. I couldn’t drive, I had no car. I couldn’t even have afforded tickets, let alone clothes.

All my life people would talk about their prom like it was the highlight of their life. Was it that good? My school still held it in the cafeteria. In later years I heard they rented a catering place, which has since been torn down.

by Anonymousreply 50May 13, 2024 10:32 AM

I did not go to my senior prom by choice.

by Anonymousreply 1May 12, 2024 11:32 PM

Didn't go to mine.

by Anonymousreply 2May 12, 2024 11:32 PM

I did. And the girl who I went with got mad I didn't sleep with her.

I was like you got the wrong idea about me...

by Anonymousreply 3May 12, 2024 11:35 PM

Went to mine and it sucked. People who think high school is the highlight of life are sad.

I’ve gone to many extravagant parties, jubilees, and soirées as an adult and had a much better time.

by Anonymousreply 4May 12, 2024 11:38 PM

You missed nothing of any real significance OP. People who talk aboout Prom a month or two afterward are developmentally delayed; it was their zenith, and that's just sad.

by Anonymousreply 5May 12, 2024 11:54 PM

I was born a poor black child

by Anonymousreply 6May 12, 2024 11:59 PM

Didn't have any interest. I had nothing but contempt for high school and couldn't wait for it to end.

by Anonymousreply 7May 13, 2024 12:04 AM

I didn't go to my senior prom, but I took my then-GF to hers.

by Anonymousreply 8May 13, 2024 12:05 AM

No. I had to go and I had to have sex with the girl I went with. It was not fun.

by Anonymousreply 9May 13, 2024 12:05 AM

Proms are... overrated

by Anonymousreply 10May 13, 2024 12:05 AM

r9, were you going to turn into a pumpkin if you didn't fuck her?

by Anonymousreply 11May 13, 2024 12:06 AM

I went, but it was totally uneventful. I felt that it was a near requirement of the transition from HS to the next stage. I was not dating anyone, so I asked someone I knew from an out-of-school volunteer activity.

The prom was overpriced and forgettable. We went to a few after-parties, and I remember playing bumper pool with her at 5am at a classmate's beach house. I drove her back home at dawn, and was in my own bed by 8am.

I rented white tails (at her request) and I looked like the Good Humor Man. She looked kinda like Miss Piggy.

by Anonymousreply 12May 13, 2024 12:13 AM

Who knows, r11. You’re 17 and can get an erection just thinking about the JCPenney men’s underwear models.

She’s there playing “All I Wanna Do Is Make Love To You” by Heart and everyone else is fucking, you think, and you kinda would like to blow a load thinking about those models.

by Anonymousreply 13May 13, 2024 12:14 AM

I didn't go to my prom by choice. I hated high school, was picked on relentlessly and feared an episode similar to Carrie had I gone. I don't regret not going. I never feel like I missed anything and I went on to live a great life and meet many cool and well-know people and travel in circles I never dreamed of.

Get over it and live your adult life is my advice.

by Anonymousreply 14May 13, 2024 12:27 AM

Private schooler; girls' school--we voted against having a prom. So no prom. Never regretted it. As Thoreau said, Beware of all endeavors requiring new clothes....

by Anonymousreply 15May 13, 2024 12:28 AM

I wouldn't have gone even if I were straight. I was too busy smoking pot and having sex with my gf.

The [italic]really[/italic] cool kids didn't go to "The Prom." Only the regular kids did. Ugh!

by Anonymousreply 16May 13, 2024 12:30 AM

I went to my prom. It was boring and the food sucked. It was 1989 and the big, pouffy dresses were hideous. There had been a K-tel style compilation advertised on TV the year before saying prom was “the best night of your life.”

Oh lord, thank goodness it wasn’t.

by Anonymousreply 17May 13, 2024 12:43 AM

I'm a Boomer (DOB 1963) and we still called it "the prom", and since I was already out, I decided not to attend mine.

We had an afterparty at the local JCC and I brought a male friend who was very punk rock and bi. Nobody noticed, or batted an eye. I had fun!

by Anonymousreply 18May 13, 2024 12:58 AM

No. Zero interest..

by Anonymousreply 19May 13, 2024 1:02 AM

I went to it. Afterwards about 5 couples went to one of the guys' houses and swam in the pool, and we slept over in the pool house. Then in the morning his mom made us breakfast, and we went to the beach. Nobody had sex, though.

by Anonymousreply 20May 13, 2024 1:10 AM

Yeah, when did "the prom" become just "prom," anyway?

by Anonymousreply 21May 13, 2024 1:11 AM

What kind of a loser do you have to be that a high school dance is the high point of your LIFE?

by Anonymousreply 22May 13, 2024 1:13 AM

Who said it was?

by Anonymousreply 23May 13, 2024 1:21 AM

I went with my best friend. It was fun because I was with my friend but we would have had more fun somewhere else. It wasn’t that great you didn’t miss anything. It was so bland that I decided to skip my high school graduation. I think it’s only a huge event for people who peaked in high school.

by Anonymousreply 24May 13, 2024 1:27 AM

I didn't want to attend my prom and had no plans to go. However a couple weeks before prom, the ASB president called me into his office. He told me I really needed to be at prom. I told him nope. Tickets were too expensive and I hated the idea of some lame school dance. I was VERY into Nirvana and Pavement and REM. Prom was just not on my radar.

But he wouldn't take no for an answer. It took me a minute, but I quickly realized I'd been voted prom king (I had already made the "court" aka the top three vote getters). The whole thing was hysterical to me. I wasn't a jock. I was a braniac, stoner, artsy kid. The mid to late 90s were pretty rad in this respect. Freaks actually ruled for one brief moment.

I told him if he wanted the prom king there, he'd have to comp my tickets. This infuriated him. He couldn't believe I was playing hard ball for prom. I told him I couldn't believe he said things like "playing hard ball" about a school dance. I was such a little DLer even then.

Finally, he agreed to let me come to prom for 15 minutes - and 15 minutes only - during the crowning of the king and queen.

Gotta say, it was pretty cool. When word got out that I basically held the prom hostage, I became a bit of a folk hero for a the last couple weeks of school.

(For the record, I really didn't have the money to go. I was a poor kid and worked two after school jobs. I was saving for college and the last thing I wanted to do was spend a hard earned $80 on a fucking dance.)

by Anonymousreply 25May 13, 2024 2:24 AM

Didn't go. Wasn't missed. Didn't buy the yearbook either knowing I'd never wish to see see any of those people ever again, and haven't. Only sorry that not buying the yearbook pissed off my mom who was very popular in her high school days and had already missed out on the traditional awkward pre-prom photos of me.

by Anonymousreply 26May 13, 2024 2:58 AM

Didn't go. Was already working 40 hours-a-week second shift job.

by Anonymousreply 27May 13, 2024 3:12 AM

No one asked me and I was too insecure to ask anyone.

by Anonymousreply 28May 13, 2024 3:20 AM

I didn’t go and I certainly didn’t buy a yearbook. I had no interest in high school whatsoever and barely remember it.

by Anonymousreply 29May 13, 2024 3:59 AM

Of course not.

by Anonymousreply 30May 13, 2024 4:10 AM

I went twice with the same platonic female friend. I wasn't out, but I also wasn't trying to pass her off as my girlfriend - everyone knew our crowd who hung out together and that I wasn't dating her.

by Anonymousreply 31May 13, 2024 4:18 AM

HI Jon!

by Anonymousreply 32May 13, 2024 4:20 AM

Prom was fun and I had a decent enough time.

Several of my friends had the John Hughes movie drunken and debauched prom where folks still talk about the crap that happened that night whenever they get together - yes, it was that ridiculous and involved people drinking and doing so many drugs they ended up in the hospital with someone almost dying of alcohol poisoning.

I think the real issue is that folks feel like the NEED to have the time of their lives and internalize feeling like a loser if it doesn't turn out to be a teen movie.

I'm glad I went. It is a nice though not particularly spectacular memory from my high school days.

by Anonymousreply 33May 13, 2024 4:24 AM

I went to my Senior Prom but I have no memories from that night whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 34May 13, 2024 4:26 AM

[quote]I went to my Senior Prom but I have no memories from that night whatsoever.

LOL - r34 is clearly one of my high school friends as described in my post.

by Anonymousreply 35May 13, 2024 4:29 AM

[Quote] Who said it was?

JFC, did you even read the OP?

[Quote] All my life people would talk about their prom like it was the highlight of their life.

by Anonymousreply 36May 13, 2024 5:35 AM

I didn’t go to mine. I didn’t have any friends outside of marching band.

by Anonymousreply 37May 13, 2024 5:38 AM

GROSS R9!

by Anonymousreply 38May 13, 2024 5:43 AM

Band fag!

by Anonymousreply 39May 13, 2024 6:06 AM

I went to take a picture and leave because my mother went apeshit over the fact that I purposely skipped senior picture day and wasn't in the yearbook, didn't want to take senior pictures, hated dressing up, skipped the 1st semester of my entire senior year, was antisocial as hell, and overall became the exact opposite of everything that her vapid, ex-cheerleader, heart thought her daughter would be.

She wanted at least one photo my final year of high school where I looked semi-normal so she could hang it in her office and prove to her colleagues that she actually didn't birth a closeted anime-obsessed weirdo.

by Anonymousreply 40May 13, 2024 6:09 AM

I did not go to my prom, as I did not have a paying job, for the money needed for the cost.

by Anonymousreply 41May 13, 2024 6:37 AM

No. I got permission to take finals early and left before graduation/prom to spend the summer before college working in the Caribbean.

by Anonymousreply 42May 13, 2024 6:48 AM

[quote]All my life people would talk about their prom like it was the highlight of their life.

That's tragic. The best things in life are meant to unfold AFTER leaving the home of your parents.

I had a brother, much older, like that. Those last couple years of high school with shiny cars and dating girls and going to the beach and proms were the highlight of his life. It was as though everything after was an experiment in which he tried to replace adult cars and trading up houses and material success for his last few years as a teenager. Whatever he achieved later in life, you could always see that underneath it was all downhill for him. In his prom days he was cock of the walk, and ever after a disappointment for him. By the time he was able to experience things as an adult, at his own direction, things had shut down for him and all he had were his stupid memories.

by Anonymousreply 43May 13, 2024 7:39 AM

I wasn't 'out' but I never tried to pass for straight. There would be no reason to go.

by Anonymousreply 44May 13, 2024 9:28 AM

I was a good-looking jock but also rumoured to be gay (I WAS, even if I didn't fully accept it yet) so I was a "safe" and cute date and went to 6 proms! I was a prom gigolo!

by Anonymousreply 45May 13, 2024 9:54 AM

I would sooner fling myself off the Ray River Bridge than miss a prom.

by Anonymousreply 46May 13, 2024 10:03 AM

In all my life I have never met one adult who thought their HS prom was the highlight (or even all that important) of their life.

The OP seems to know some very strange people.

by Anonymousreply 47May 13, 2024 10:13 AM

The girls in my grade didn't like me. There was some sort of rumor that I was a predatory lesbian with a coke habit. Only half true. I didn't care and had always wanted to wear a pretty dress and a corsage and shit so I went with my best friend. There was so much drama between all the girls in my class that our class sponsors decided that the prom court would be voted on by the opposite sex. The boys voted for queen and the girls voted for king. Guess who won prom queen? Aww yiss. I danced with every boy while all the bitches snickered. Went midnight bowling and got high as balls afterward. Went home and my dad made food for me and my date, got high some more, stayed up till dawn and passed out in my weave. Woke up with a birds nest for hair. Was a great night.

TLDR: not a coke head, won prom queen, got high, slept in my weave.

by Anonymousreply 48May 13, 2024 10:16 AM

I head butted my prom date on the dance floor.

She didn't say anything to me. I mean literally did not talk to me the rest of the night.

I didn't know how to dance. I still don't.

by Anonymousreply 49May 13, 2024 10:18 AM

I was kind of popular at church camp - which wasn’t as cool as it sounds. I went to 5 proms, jr & sr year, at 3 different schools with 4 different girls in a 50 mile radius. My parents let me and my rented tux use the station wagon 3 times & the pick up twice. I was stylin’ fore sure. Each dance was a vision of chicken wire & tissue w a bad DJ. Each electric slide more forgettable than the last. 2 of the girls wanted to have sex. I played the religion card. God said no. Not me. They were both virgins & I didn’t think their story should be “my first time was w a gay guy from church.” Oh, and I didn’t want to. Effective strategy blessed by Jesus himself. OP, I went motivated by homo FOMO. I look back on it rolling my eyes. I suspect you didn’t miss much. God bless.

by Anonymousreply 50May 13, 2024 10:32 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!