Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Pig kidney recipient dies 2 months after procedure:

62 y/o and cause of death unknown.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30May 13, 2024 4:32 PM

Could it possibly be because he had animal tissue sewn inside his body?

by Anonymousreply 1May 12, 2024 5:50 PM

Dollface thread.

by Anonymousreply 2May 12, 2024 5:51 PM

I hoped this would work....

by Anonymousreply 3May 12, 2024 5:53 PM

Schpilkis in his Ghanectaz-oink

by Anonymousreply 4May 12, 2024 5:54 PM

Yes, I warned this might happen in the previous thread when this procedure was first done, but that OP poo-poohed me. The field of xenotransplantation is very much in its infancy.

by Anonymousreply 5May 12, 2024 5:54 PM

Did the pig survive?

by Anonymousreply 6May 12, 2024 5:56 PM

Told ya I was hardcore.... WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 12, 2024 5:56 PM

The transplant could be successful but if the patient is discharged from the hospital after the surgery, heads home and resumes drinking alcohol until they pop, this is the expected outcome.

"Ethanol poisoning" is what the cause of death on the death certificate will read.

by Anonymousreply 8May 12, 2024 5:58 PM

Clearly, the medical field of oinkology has a ways to go.

by Anonymousreply 9May 12, 2024 5:58 PM

R7 - that'll do, pig. That'll do.

by Anonymousreply 10May 12, 2024 6:02 PM

A Weymouth man has died after a historic procedure his family says gave them seven more weeks with him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11May 12, 2024 6:06 PM

Pig Kidney is one of my favorite alternative bands.

by Anonymousreply 12May 12, 2024 6:16 PM

They will have to find another guinea pig.

by Anonymousreply 13May 12, 2024 6:18 PM

His name was Rick Slayman. Apt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14May 12, 2024 6:24 PM

Have I got a deal for you.

by Anonymousreply 15May 12, 2024 6:24 PM

He'll make good bacon.

by Anonymousreply 16May 12, 2024 6:24 PM

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the absence of any functioning human kidneys is what did him in. I know they use immunosuppressant drugs on transplant recipients, but would a pig kidney even be able to get all the right nutrients it needs from a human being's bloodstream? People aren't like Mr. Potato Head, you can't just attach random parts and expect everything to be hunky dory.

by Anonymousreply 17May 12, 2024 6:33 PM

Frighteningly, the pig was genetically modified to facilitate the transplant to a human host.

When the pigs start squealing, "I want to live," we'll know we've gone to far.

by Anonymousreply 18May 12, 2024 6:39 PM

Salute

by Anonymousreply 19May 12, 2024 6:41 PM

This is what happens when men tries to play God.

by Anonymousreply 20May 12, 2024 6:44 PM

Four legs good, two legs bad!

by Anonymousreply 21May 12, 2024 6:45 PM

[quote] This is what happens when men tries

This is what happens when men try to spell.

by Anonymousreply 22May 12, 2024 6:45 PM

Wait… humans can’t even take all human kidneys. They age to be a match and don’t match every kidney, so what makes them think we can just pop a genetically modified pig kidney in there and expect good results?

Aren’t people actually having human babies in order to find a transplant for their already-born kids? That’s how hard it is to get a human. donor for body parts.

by Anonymousreply 23May 12, 2024 6:47 PM

Who do you think I am, R15-- Mister Fucking Haney?

I am too conscientious for that; in fact I told those surgeons how I felt about it. They chose to do it anyway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24May 12, 2024 6:48 PM

Ok, that didn’t come out right.

We have donor-match drives to find a human donor for transplants. And parents have in vitro fertilization to make a new baby in order to donate to their child who needs a transplant. People in the same family often aren’t matches for kidney transplants.

I wouldn’t be the first pig kidney recipient, that’s for sure

by Anonymousreply 25May 12, 2024 6:52 PM

How much do you think all of this cost the taxpayer?

by Anonymousreply 26May 12, 2024 7:12 PM

Can't understand why they didn't give him the heart of a clownfish. We all know humans and clownfish are identical species.

by Anonymousreply 27May 13, 2024 1:57 PM

[quote]Can't understand why they didn't give him the heart of a clownfish. We all know humans and clownfish are identical species.

Pigs are actually extremely compatible relative to other species.

[quote]Pigs are preferred because they mature very quickly, produce large litters and have organs of comparable size and function to human organs in both infancy and adulthood. They also can be bred to high health standards in microbiologically controlled environments.

Also, the pig for this transplant was genetically modified. Of course, the first attempt was never going to be a complete success. The fact the man lived for any time at all afterwards was a huge step in advancing scientific knowledge.

I'd be more worried about viruses jumping the species barrier.

by Anonymousreply 28May 13, 2024 2:05 PM

This ain’t kosher, I tell you!

by Anonymousreply 29May 13, 2024 3:03 PM

I remember in the 1990s they started genetically modifying pigs for use in human transplants.

by Anonymousreply 30May 13, 2024 4:32 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!