Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Roger Corman is DEAD TO ME! At 98!!!

“ Legendary B-movie king Roger Corman, who directed and produced hundreds of low-budget films and discovered such future industry stars as Jack Nicholson, Martin Scorsese and Robert De Niro, has died. He was 98.

Corman died May 9 at his home in Santa Monica, Calif., surrounded by family members, the family confirmed to Variety.

“His films were revolutionary and iconoclastic, and captured the spirit of an age. When asked how he would like to be remembered, he said, ‘I was a filmmaker, just that,'” the family said in a statement.

Corman’s empire, which existed in several incarnations, including New World Pictures, and Concorde/New Horizons, was as active as any major studio and, he boasted, always profitable. He specialized in fast-paced, low-budget genre movies — horror, action, science fiction, even some family fare — and his company became a work-in-training ground for a wide variety of major talents, from actors like Nicholson (“Little Shop of Horrors”) and De Niro (“Boxcar Bertha”) to directors like Francis Ford Coppola (“Dementia 13”) and Scorsese (“Boxcar Bertha”).”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32May 14, 2024 7:28 AM

Well, damn!

Love his cheesy movies. RIP Mr Corman

by Anonymousreply 1May 12, 2024 2:18 AM

AMEN, R1!!!

by Anonymousreply 2May 12, 2024 2:19 AM

As a child and preteen, I enjoyed many of his productions. Sorry to see him go. Can you imagine never making an unprofitable film? So many overblown budgets (and stars) in schlock far less interesting and entertaining than many of Corman's pics.

by Anonymousreply 3May 12, 2024 2:20 AM

Hail and farewell to the master of B (and C) flicks.

by Anonymousreply 4May 12, 2024 2:21 AM

Not of This Earth was the creepiest movie I watched as a kid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 12, 2024 2:22 AM

He had a good ride. Thanks for all of the fun, Roger!

by Anonymousreply 6May 12, 2024 2:33 AM

I loved those Edgar Allan Poe movies

RIP

by Anonymousreply 7May 12, 2024 2:39 AM

He was class, for decades.

by Anonymousreply 8May 12, 2024 5:01 AM

Sure was, r8. And so down to earth in every interview I saw of him. Just real nonchalant about all of the now world famous actors he “discovered” or gave them their first big break.

Such an interesting man with a huge string of profitable movies.

by Anonymousreply 9May 12, 2024 7:06 AM

R7, yes, Corman & Vincent Price had a good partnership in making so many Edgar Allan Poe movies together. "The Masque of the Red Death" has gorgeous sets and production values and gets a good review in Leonard Maltin's film guide.

by Anonymousreply 10May 12, 2024 7:37 AM

As much as he contributed to American culture, if he had only given us Little Shop of Horrors he would still be a legend. I'm grateful for all his drive-in and TV content I enjoyed as a kid, especially the early Godzilla movies he imported and dubbed.

by Anonymousreply 11May 12, 2024 7:52 AM

I always like the ending of the film Hollywood Boulevard. Mary Woronov is such a cool glamazon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12May 12, 2024 8:07 AM

I know his movies he directed are loved, but I could never get into them - although some of the movies he produced but didn't direct (like Dementia 13, Targets and Piranha) were a different story.

Overall I prefer (and have a fondness for) the movies of William Castle.

by Anonymousreply 13May 12, 2024 11:02 AM

(Yes, I know Corman's name is not on the final picture, but that is only because he'd just signed a contract to only work with union crews, and 'Queen of Blood' was a non-union production. It was still his baby.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14May 12, 2024 11:24 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15May 12, 2024 11:27 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16May 12, 2024 11:31 AM

Death Race 2000 is still one of my favorites.

by Anonymousreply 17May 12, 2024 6:00 PM

many people both actors and directors got their start with him

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18May 12, 2024 6:25 PM

He's who Edward D. Wood, Jr. aspired to be- but with camp results.

by Anonymousreply 19May 12, 2024 7:31 PM

RIP Mr Corman. You provided so much entertainment to so many of us.

by Anonymousreply 20May 12, 2024 9:31 PM

I always liked this one:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21May 12, 2024 9:48 PM

Predictions for the next two celebrity deaths-Barbara Eden and Johnny Depp

by Anonymousreply 22May 12, 2024 9:56 PM

Is he one of the rare figures universally beloved on Datalounge?

by Anonymousreply 23May 12, 2024 9:59 PM

His movies were crap. Het boys liked them because he showed bouncing titties.

That was it.

Bouncing titties and girls in shorts/ bathing suits were the point of his movies

If you weren’t a het boy or a lez, his movies were garbage

by Anonymousreply 24May 12, 2024 10:03 PM

R23 Loved everywhere. He is so cool.

r24 Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 25May 12, 2024 10:11 PM

James Cameron got his start with Roger Corman.

by Anonymousreply 26May 12, 2024 10:19 PM

He was a class act.

He made movies HE wanted to make. Everyone on set felt safe and comfortable. He was regarded as being kind, gentle, and a good listener. At the end of the day, he loved a strong whiskey and putting on Tchaikovsky or Schubert.

Just for fun, I have attached his Criterion Closet picks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27May 13, 2024 2:27 AM

Is there a separate thread yet for Paul Schrader’s DL-worthy cuntiness, dancing on Corman’s grave?

by Anonymousreply 28May 13, 2024 6:07 AM

No movie library is complete without Robert Vaughan's "Teenage Caveman"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29May 13, 2024 6:18 AM

R16, Mark Damon from 'House of Usher' (1960) just died today at age 91. Damon was hot in that movie:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30May 13, 2024 6:32 AM

That photo in OP’s is a really nicely staged one. He’s older at the time it was taken, but looks trim and healthy, and so pleasant. What a neat guy.

by Anonymousreply 31May 14, 2024 1:15 AM

I love B&W 1950s sci-fi, so of course I love Roger Corman. He produced my favorite movie of the genre, The Day the World Ended, starring handsome, stalwart Richard Denning (who was in a lot of movies in this genre).

Another Corman favorite of mine from that era, Night of the Blood Beast, starred Ed Nelson, later of Peyton Place fame. He was part of Corman's regular company of performers. You could usually count on a Corman movies from the '50s and '60 to have at least one handsome, heroic male character.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32May 14, 2024 7:28 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!