Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Archie Bunker’s Place was a garbage show

I have elder tv playing in the background tonight as I clean and do laundry and this show is just the worst. How did this trash last for five years after All in the Family went off the air? Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 49May 13, 2024 12:08 AM

No options

by Anonymousreply 1May 12, 2024 1:59 AM

Once Mike and Gloria left in 1978 it was no longer All In The Family. Then the Edith character died and what did you have left- nothing except some dull characters at the bar.

by Anonymousreply 2May 12, 2024 2:00 AM

The theme sounds like a long giant fart.

by Anonymousreply 3May 12, 2024 2:01 AM

Carroll was still popular in the role and the ratings justified it staying on the air. Plus he had greater creative control over ABP, as opposed to AITF with Norman Lear running things. Not to mention the money he was pulling in.

by Anonymousreply 4May 12, 2024 2:03 AM

All In The Family was truly great but it had run it's course. Carroll O'Connor was wrong to keep it going as a variant of the original. Archie Place was mediocre at best.

by Anonymousreply 5May 12, 2024 2:06 AM

It coasted on the goodwill of All in the Family and a great time slot—right after 60 Minutes, which hit #1 in 1979-80 (the first year of ABP).

by Anonymousreply 6May 12, 2024 2:06 AM

Danielle Brisbois was a charming kid actor--I liked her in ABP but you're right, OP, it was otherwise a garbage show.

by Anonymousreply 7May 12, 2024 2:23 AM

Wasn’t Anne Meara roped in as a love interest?

by Anonymousreply 8May 12, 2024 2:58 AM

Five years in the life of a spin-off is typical. It wrings the original show of all viewership loyalty and kills it off before the six year actors renegotiations.

Look for Chuck Lorre to do this to the new Cooper's spinoff if Young Sheldon. The same slow death as The Conners.

by Anonymousreply 9May 12, 2024 3:13 AM

Anne Meara ruins everything she's in.

by Anonymousreply 10May 12, 2024 3:13 AM

It was still rated pretty high when it got canned. It's ratings had slipped a bit because they moved it from the cush time slot. They moved it to get back at Carol for the acrimony caused by the spinoff Gloria. Gloria was the better of the two and actually quite funny

by Anonymousreply 11May 12, 2024 3:15 AM

I had heard of this show but didn’t realize it lasted more than a couple seasons unlike most spinoffs.

by Anonymousreply 12May 12, 2024 3:33 AM

It was visually very depressing.

by Anonymousreply 13May 12, 2024 3:39 AM

It was just fucking horrible. The spent like $11.00 on the set. It makes the set of Alice look like a 1930s spectacular.

by Anonymousreply 14May 12, 2024 3:40 AM

[quote] How did this trash last for five years

(1) We all had like 3 channels at the time

(2) It was pre remote control days and fat whores didn't want to get up off the chair

(3) Archie was a pretty popular character which gave the show some goodwill for a while.

by Anonymousreply 15May 12, 2024 3:45 AM

They killed Edith for this shit.

by Anonymousreply 16May 12, 2024 3:47 AM

*In Edith voice* “Arrrchie, I’ve been thinking long and hard about this and you know what? I’ve decided that it’s time to say goodbye.”

by Anonymousreply 17May 12, 2024 3:50 AM

Jean Stapleton was done. She wanted to go.

by Anonymousreply 18May 12, 2024 3:50 AM

Norman Lear didn't want it to happen.

"He went on to do Archie Bunker’s Place — I didn’t want that to happen, and I prevented it from happening for some months. My partners and the network, of course, wanted it,” Lear continued regarding the spinoff, which ran for four seasons on CBS until 1983. Unlike All in the Family, which took place largely in the Bunker family home, Archie Bunker’s Place was set primarily in the local tavern Archie owned, and was not filmed with a live studio audience.

"The only time I met Mr. [William] Paley, who owned the network, was when he called to ask me to lunch, nine years later, to talk about wanting Archie Bunker’s Place on air,” he noted. “The only way it got on was when [he] called me to his office and had four or five pages of names of people who would be out of work if the show didn’t go on. And so the show went on.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19May 12, 2024 3:52 AM

ABP basically turned AITF into a show about old white men (O'Connor, Alan Melvin, Martin Ballslam, the blind guy) and a drunk with horrible comic timing (Anne Meara) and a random little girl. Oh and how many words can Archie mispronounce in an episode? All of them.

by Anonymousreply 20May 12, 2024 3:55 AM

This was 50 years ago, OP. NOBODY GIVES A SHIT NOW. Move on; drop dead; whatever. Just leave the rest of us alone.

by Anonymousreply 21May 12, 2024 3:55 AM

HI SALLY!

by Anonymousreply 22May 12, 2024 3:56 AM

This sounds like a show about old white men drinking in an area that changed over 40 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 23May 12, 2024 3:57 AM

No one could sing about the post office quite like Danielle Brisebois and her mother.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24May 12, 2024 3:59 AM

Pretty much r23

by Anonymousreply 25May 12, 2024 4:06 AM

At least O'Connor got some of his wits back in time to go out on top with "In The Heat of the Night."

It wasn't a masterpiece, but it was far better than this shit.

by Anonymousreply 26May 12, 2024 4:14 AM

With handsome Bubba.

by Anonymousreply 27May 12, 2024 4:15 AM

"Here's Lucy" ran for six years.

"The Jeffersons" ran for ELEVEN years!

There's no accounting for the public's enjoyment of mediocrity once they've decided they like the characters, it seems.

by Anonymousreply 28May 12, 2024 4:34 AM

The Jeffersons was pretty damn funny for several years. You're telling me Mother Jefferson didn't get so much as a smile out of you?

by Anonymousreply 29May 12, 2024 6:32 AM

[quote]Martin Ballslam

Oh dear

by Anonymousreply 30May 12, 2024 6:38 AM

[quote] The Jeffersons was pretty damn funny for several years. You're telling me Mother Jefferson didn't get so much as a smile out of you?

Zara Cully was dead three seasons into The Jeffersons and they went on another eight.

by Anonymousreply 31May 12, 2024 6:41 AM

The Jeffersons would've been unwatchable if it hadn't been for Florence. The worst episodes were light on her and heavy on Harry or Tom.

by Anonymousreply 32May 12, 2024 3:57 PM

Mother Jefferson is my spirit animal.

by Anonymousreply 33May 12, 2024 4:15 PM

I love Mother Jefferson. The Jeffersons was great the first two years. Then all the characters loss their edge and became squishy. Louise went from a strong, post struggle black woman to Ms. Help Centah. The only one who remained consistently funny was Mr. Bentley. Don't get me started on the fakeLionel seasons.

by Anonymousreply 34May 12, 2024 4:18 PM

Mrs. Brady. I've known Mr. Brady for years. There's no way he wrote those letters!

by Anonymousreply 35May 12, 2024 4:23 PM

R19 While it was admirable that the network executive wanted the show to go on to continue to employ all the people employed by ABP, it would still have to end eventually.

by Anonymousreply 36May 12, 2024 7:48 PM

Archie Bunker's Place had the grayest, dingiest set in the history of any sitcom ever shot in color. Even if HBO tried to make a depressing, kitchen sink-type sitcom they couldn't make it look any less appealing than this show.

The episode recounting Edith's death does contain some of O'Connor's best acting. But he wasn't nominated for an Emmy.

by Anonymousreply 37May 12, 2024 8:15 PM

Anne Meara was nominated for two Emmys for this show.

Sheree North even recieved an Emmy nomination one year for Best Actress in Comedy, even though she only appeared in two episodes total. DL-Icons Linda Lavin and Bonnie Franklin appeared in hundreds of episodes and multiple seasons of their shows yet each got just a single, solitary Lead Actress nomination.

by Anonymousreply 38May 12, 2024 8:17 PM

The set for ABP was Honeymooners bad level.

by Anonymousreply 39May 12, 2024 9:05 PM

R38 it was ludicrous they had one or two episode actors competing against the shows stars. Obviously this was before the guest actor Emmys. Lavin herself lost to Ruth Gordon who did one episode of Taxi. And her husband at the time Ron Leibman won that year also. That must’ve stung.

by Anonymousreply 40May 12, 2024 9:34 PM

Maybe, but I always payed attention to Sheree North whenever she was on TV. Another DAME type.

by Anonymousreply 41May 12, 2024 9:38 PM

I enjoyed it, but missed Edith when her character died. I loved Carroll O'Connor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42May 12, 2024 9:47 PM

Did ATF used to air on Saturday night?

by Anonymousreply 43May 12, 2024 10:19 PM

The blind guy on ABF was Bob Newhart’s father-in-law IRL.

by Anonymousreply 44May 12, 2024 10:23 PM

[quote] I always payed

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 45May 12, 2024 11:33 PM

R32, I always thought the worst episodes of “The Jeffersons” were the early ones about Lionel and Jenny and their endless engagement. For one thing, their engagement party was on “All in the Family” in Feb of 1974 and they didn’t get married for another several seasons -and by then it was Damon Evans. Episodes when they’d fight were dull. Episodes when they’d just be onscreen were dull.

by Anonymousreply 46May 12, 2024 11:52 PM

ABP coasted on the good will felt for Carroll O Connor, but it was depressing. I could never figure out why Martin Balsam signed on unless it was a good paycheck. Lots of mugging burlesque old-timers. Not much else.

by Anonymousreply 47May 12, 2024 11:58 PM

I’m guessing he signed on for the paycheck. The first season of APB was ok. It had an Oscar winner no less with Balsam in its cast, and Stapleton was still on every five episodes or so. Reportedly O’Connor and Balsam didn’t get along well, so he left after only one season. The show needed someone strong to challenge Archie, like Rob or Martin, but didn’t have that after the first season.

by Anonymousreply 48May 13, 2024 12:07 AM

ABP I mean.

by Anonymousreply 49May 13, 2024 12:08 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!